The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

We're going to need top notch journalists and media getting the story out to the public with an unbiased viewpoint and no conflict of interest.....just like we see so often. I nominate Chz, Promo, and IKnowPhysics......

Don't forget sizzle and thesportsbuff.

Great! You've always been one of my favorite posters. If I see that you've replied to a post, it's a must click for me.

Isn't the "law" already on the books? I would submit that the charge of "meddling" is universally understood in the context of sports owners. I would cite Bettman v. Avery. No definition of "sloppy seconds" found its way into the proceedings.

My understanding is if "meddling" is a universal term then it would fall under old English common law and therefore be part of civil law whereas TP would only be subject to fines. If "Meddling" is a term that under your understanding would require criminal punishment, then a legislative reference would need to be established with some specificity to hockey.

I think there are plenty of us who could make the language broad enough and watered down enough to fit any circumstances you might foresee. However, I think I could easily organize a 1/3 opposition to any proposal from even being considered on the floor. In fact I think I could achieve a majority. Just my opionion. But this is getting interesting if not inane. So, I propose a tabling of the legislation to some time in the future... in a galaxy far far away...

Edited by North Buffalo

Great! You've always been one of my favorite posters. If I see that you've replied to a post, it's a must click for me.

Isn't the "law" already on the books? I would submit that the charge of "meddling" is universally understood in the context of sports owners. I would cite Bettman v. Avery. No definition of "sloppy seconds" found its way into the proceedings.

very kind. thanks.

i'm not so sure whether the law is on the books. Is it?

If it's gonna be a crime, we oughta have degrees.

Just spit-balling:

Meddling: An Owner*** is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player and in the course of making such Personnel Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. [And so forth]

***(The inish-capped words would be defined terms.)

As a potential juror, I'll refrain from any Terry Pegula news from this point forward as to minimize the amount of exposure that may lead to an unbalanced or bias view.

I would however, like the trial to commence prior to the draft in an effort to ensure further evidence in lieu of that day not be allowed in the trial as I fear it would lead to a prolonged process, thereby robbing the defendant of his right to a speedy trial.

Buffalo, NY - As the so-called "meddling" trial of Terry Pegula looms, pre-trial machinations may hint at what's to come. The prosecution is trying to establish with the court that a definition of "meddling" exists, but Judge Smell does not agree. Indeed, there seems to be a question as to whether a trial can take place due to differing opinions of the legality of "meddling". While neither the prosecution or Judge Smell have hinted at where this may lead, it is possible a higher court may have to establish the definition and terms of "meddling". Meanwhile, the defense has yet to appear in court to weigh in on this most important matter.

Edited by sizzlemeister

very kind. thanks.

Just spit-balling:

Meddling: An Owner*** is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player and in the course of making such Personnel Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. [And so forth]

Agreed Aud, there has to be a defined parameter on the charge so the jurors can give due consideration of both the prosecution as well as the defenses case.

I do have a question however.......

Will the defendant be testifying in his own defense?

If So, I believe a tweet to Mr. Pegula's daughter informing her of these proceedings and offering her father a chance to inter-act with the fan base would just straight out be the bomb, as long as all posters can behave themselves.

Can someone be extradited to cyberspace?

very kind. thanks.

Just spit-balling:

As sizzle reports, no one appears to be willing to defend Pegula. Should the court assign a public defender? Until there's a defense, I don't think it's appropriate for me to comment on your definition of meddling.

Your honor, you also have minty breath.

The charge: meddling. I'm more than happy to lead the prosecution. I'm serious. I think it could be fun. We'll pick jurors, have opening and closing arguments, deliberation, a verdict.

Anyone want to defend him? Throw your name into the jury pool?

P.S. We need a judge. I've never seen chz in a black robe, but if anybody could "clear a courtroom"...

This is a very interesting idea.

I would like to be on the prosecution team if I could. I think the first motion should be a change of venue since the jury pool is likely tainted by coats of paint, a new rug in the locker room and a tear stained French Connection statue.

This is a very interesting idea.

I would like to be on the prosecution team if I could. I think the first motion should be a change of venue since the jury pool is likely tainted by coats of paint, a new rug in the locker room and a tear stained French Connection statue.

Welcome aboard.

If I were working for the defence, I'd get bored with how many times I had to object for hearsay.

It is a circumstantial case, yes. But Deluca and I will use Terry's own words against him.

very kind. thanks.

Just spit-balling:

Nice definition, except I see no reference to a penal :w00t: code so therefore it must reference common law and therefore be referred to a civil court or a mediator...

I think Darcy should step down until the trial is over. Knowing PA, this could be a long drawn out bedevilment and DR needs to have impartiality.

Actually I think he should step down because he could be charged as a co-defendent and co-conspirator. RICO provisions may apply.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.