The other sports thread

Eleven

I feel bad for the younger guys who never got to see greatness in ring that was actually entertaining. You missed out on Tyson and on Evander. On Lennox and on Roy Jones Jr. The slugfests of Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti. Tito and Vargas, Sugar Shane, De la O and the Executioner. Man, it was all so good once!

And now it's gone. We are left with a counter punching, defense first technician who makes way too much money, is a scum bag and has weak smack talk.

Used to be a huge fan of boxing.  late 70's-early 90's. Talk about a great era, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Hector Camacho, Larry Holmes, an up and coming Pernell Whitaker, amateur and new pro Iron Mike.  Even the 2nd tier was entertaining as hell.  Wilfred Benitez, Palomino, Duran, the three heavyweight Mikes, (Spinks, Dokes, and Weaver), Virgil Hill, Aaron Prior and Alexis Arguello.  Not to mention Ali's comeback.

Oh, man.  Boxing was the back in the day.

I feel bad for the younger guys who never got to see greatness in ring that was actually entertaining. You missed out on Tyson and on Evander. On Lennox and on Roy Jones Jr. The slugfests of Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti. Tito and Vargas, Sugar Shane, De la O and the Executioner. Man, it was all so good once!

And now it's gone. We are left with a counter punching, defense first technician who makes way too much money, is a scum bag and has weak smack talk.

I feel the same way as I cry into a bucket of ice cream after realizing that people still love and root for a "meh" fighter like Mayweather.

That's why I stick with UFC outside of a shot to see Mayweather lose. I don't want to miss it if it happens live.

WildCard - I don't watch Mayweather for entertainment value. I just like any chance to see him get punched in the face. Boxing is bad now.

I've flirted with boxing fandom at various points in my life and nearly every time just find it boring. But even if I didn't find it dull, the more we learn about concussions and CTE...I have a lot of trouble supporting a sport where the purpose is essentially to give your opponent brain damage.

I agree on this point for the most part in all other sports but this is one where there's a definite awareness of it that is ignored by the fighters.

Moses Malone dead at 60. I remember both of his games as a Brave; all six minutes played, the one rebound and the one personal foul. Well, not very clearly. RIP, Mr. Malone. What strange days 1976 to 1978 were. For several years before, Buffalo was major league in three sports.

Edited by Neo

Used to be a huge fan of boxing. late 70's-early 90's. Talk about a great era, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Hector Camacho, Larry Holmes, an up and coming Pernell Whitaker, amateur and new pro Iron Mike. Even the 2nd tier was entertaining as hell. Wilfred Benitez, Palomino, Duran, the three heavyweight Mikes, (Spinks, Dokes, and Weaver), Virgil Hill, Aaron Prior and Alexis Arguello. Not to mention Ali's comeback.

Oh, man. Boxing was the ###### back in the day.

I was too young for Hagler vs Hearns(shame). I do remember Sweet Pea though. And I'll always remember Virgil Hill being knocked out by a Body shot from Roy Jones Jr

I was too young for Hagler vs Hearns(shame). I do remember Sweet Pea though. And I'll always remember Virgil Hill being knocked out by a Body shot from Roy Jones Jr

Hagler won that fight IMO.  He was definitely the more aggressive fighter.  But it was an epic battle.  

What was amazing was all those guys going up and down weight classes to fight the best.  Hearns fought as light as welterweight and as heavy as light heavyweight.  Leonard fought in a bunch of weight classes too.  Halger moved a little, but mosty dominated as a middleweight.  Duran moved up and down.  Benitez moved through 3 weight classes.  Those guys did NOT duck fights.  They went looking for them.

Fight fan alert. If you have iTunes (and I'm sure other services), there are two films to rent. "Facing Ali" and "Ali's Greatest Fights". Facing Ali is a series of interviews by his greates foes. Greatest Fights is just that. Fascinating view of the man, the sport, the social and political climate of the 60s and 70s, etc. The Rumble in the Jungle and The Thrilla in Manilla. Two bouts that tested men to the their very depths. The poignant and curious story of Ali and Frazier and the pain Frazier suffered.

I know, everything's back in the day with me! ... "Is that all you got, George?"

Addendum: If you prefer books, King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero

by David Remnick and Lazarus and the Hurricane: The Freeing of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter by Sam Chaiton and Terry Swinton.

Edited by Neo

Hagler won that fight IMO.  He was definitely the more aggressive fighter.  But it was an epic battle.  

What was amazing was all those guys going up and down weight classes to fight the best.  Hearns fought as light as welterweight and as heavy as light heavyweight.  Leonard fought in a bunch of weight classes too.  Halger moved a little, but mosty dominated as a middleweight.  Duran moved up and down.  Benitez moved through 3 weight classes.  Those guys did NOT duck fights.  They went looking for them.

Awesome era.

Fight fan alert. If you have iTunes (and I'm sure other services), there are two films to rent. "Facing Ali" and "Ali's Greatest Fights". Facing Ali is a series of interviews by his greates foes. Greatest Fights is just that. Fascinating view of the man, the sport, the social and political climate of the 60s and 70s, etc. The Rumble in the Jungle and The Thrilla in Manilla. Two bouts that tested men to the their very depths. The poignant and curious story of Ali and Frazier and the pain Frazier suffered.

I know, everything's back in the day with me! ... "Is that all you got, George?"

Addendum: If you prefer books, King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero

by David Remnick and Lazarus and the Hurricane: The Freeing of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter by Sam Chaiton and Terry Swinton.

I own Ali's Greatest Fights and consider it to be almost the best $10 I ever spent on boxing.  The best $10 was spent on The Fight, by Norman Mailer.  http://www.amazon.com/The-Fight-Norman-Mailer/dp/0812986121 .  You have a world-class writer writing about two world-class fighters on a world stage in a country that was in the middle of conflict.  It is amazing.

I own Ali's Greatest Fights and consider it to be almost the best $10 I ever spent on boxing. The best $10 was spent on The Fight, by Norman Mailer. http://www.amazon.com/The-Fight-Norman-Mailer/dp/0812986121 . You have a world-class writer writing about two world-class fighters on a world stage in a country that was in the middle of conflict. It is amazing.

I'm going to buy it, thank you. Your tease sentence is "world class". Grateful ... When I think back and fantasize who I'd like to have dinner with, from the last century, I come up with names like Churchill, Hoover, Johnson, Ghandi, Neruda, Dali, Lindbergh, Capote, Ingrid Bergman and Sophia Loren (blush) ... all fascinating and/or powerful. Ali is the athlete on the list. So much more than "The Greatest". History sent him at the right time, and of the right race, and in the right country ... to change us all. Can't beat Mailer.

Edited by Neo

Moses Malone dead at 60. I remember both of his games as a Brave; all six minutes played, the one rebound and the one personal foul. Well, not very clearly. RIP, Mr. Malone. What strange days 1976 to 1978 were. For several years before, Buffalo was major league in three sports.

Moses passing has made me feel older today. 

Damn.  Two in a row over the Astros, the Rangers are now in FIRST PLACE in the AL West for the first time in two years.  With a walk-off sac fly from Mitch Moreland in the bottom of the 9th.  Now if they can get the sweep the Astros, the Rangers can put some distance between themselves and second place.  What a season- worst in the majors through April, now in first place.

Edited by Robins Egg

Okay, I'm just braggin' now, but the Rangers crushed the Astros tonight, 14-3, including 11 runs off the Houston ace who had the lowest ERA in the league.  Prince Fielder knocked in 5 runs, including 2 upper deck home runs.  Dayummmm.

The Rangers are a game and a half over the Astros and can pull another game up by completing the series sweep tomorrow.

This is turning into the all Texas Rangers thread.  They did it again, completing the sweep of the formerly division-leading Astros.  In the series the Rangers went from 1 1/2 games down to a 2 1/2 game lead in the AL West.  This three-run home run from Mitch Moreland was all they needed but the Rangers added 5 more insurance runs in the late innings.

What a ride!

After last nights huge win in the opener of the biggest series for the Blue Jays since the 1993 World Series it really seems like just a matter of time until they clinch a playoff spot (magic # now 4) and win the division (magic # now 10).

Last night had everything ... clutch and timely hitting early (3 runs in the first) ... the ace of the pitching staff being just that (Price has won 8 games since joining the Jays ... 4 of them against the Yankees and a fifth game against the arch rival the Jays ended up winning, IIRC ... many of Price's wins have come to end 2 game loosing streaks) ... that amazing grab by Price that could have easily taken his head off ... Price pitching out of that bases loaded jam in the 3rd ...

IMO, if the Jays do go on to the post season and do well the defining moment of this season (and probably for the franchise since Joe Carter hit that World Series clinching home run in 1993) will be when Brett Cecil struck out the heart of the Yankee batting order, after surrendering a run scoring single, in the 8th inning.

My apologies to all Yankee fans out there ...

GO JAYS GO!!

After last nights huge win in the opener of the biggest series for the Blue Jays since the 1993 World Series it really seems like just a matter of time until they clinch a playoff spot (magic # now 4) and win the division (magic # now 10).

Last night had everything ... clutch and timely hitting early (3 runs in the first) ... the ace of the pitching staff being just that (Price has won 8 games since joining the Jays ... 4 of them against the Yankees and a fifth game against the arch rival the Jays ended up winning, IIRC ... many of Price's wins have come to end 2 game loosing streaks) ... that amazing grab by Price that could have easily taken his head off ... Price pitching out of that bases loaded jam in the 3rd ...

IMO, if the Jays do go on to the post season and do well the defining moment of this season (and probably for the franchise since Joe Carter hit that World Series clinching home run in 1993) will be when Brett Cecil struck out the heart of the Yankee batting order, after surrendering a run scoring single, in the 8th inning.

GO JAYS GO!!

Back from a brief hiatus - and probably won't be back again till the start of the season, but just wanted to say a quick Go Jays! to my friend in NS. I look forward to our first playoff appearance in a long time.

:thumbsup:

Yogi Berra passes away at 90 years old

That is sad news, but to reach 90 is pretty awesome.

-----

I don't think the players will make too much of this if, indeed, they clinch tonight, or whenever they do ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-rays-preview-1.3243521

... the fans will go nuts after 22 years, as well they should.

OK ... OK!!

Blue Jays ... Blue Jays!!

Lets Play Ball ...

In October ... in the playoffs!!

The Jays have clinched at least the second AL wildcard.  Only a matter of time before they clinch the AL East ... another win today, but it was pretty ugly.  Oh, well.

GO JAYS GO!!

No worries NS. I have no reason to believe the Yankees go far this postseason; we lack at least 1 solid starter and our offense is sputtering, specifically Ellsbury and Gardner