The other sports thread

Eleven

That was my initial reaction. But as you can imagine, I am experiencing a large amount of social pressure to change my view.

Best overall football game I've watched in years.

Definitely the right call. Now I understand your comment yesterday.

I wish we had those refs against the Chargers.

Apparently a commentator called the Williams sisters the brothers and now former player Martina Navratralova has got her boxers in a bunch. The Sedin brothers come to mind. It wasn't that long ago it was commonplace for the likes of Don Cherry ( i realize thats totally within character for Don ) and Mike Milbury to publicly call them the sisters without any repercussions. It'll be fun to see this play out or simply fade away.

That was my initial reaction. But as you can imagine, I am experiencing a large amount of social pressure to change my view.

Best overall football game I've watched in years.

Understandable. ND appears to be my only hope for genuine sports happiness in the short term (Sabres bad, Bills mediocre, UB....well, UB), and they have given a couple of soul-crushing losses relatively recently. I'd imagine it must be significantly worse actually having gone there.

Understandable. ND appears to be my only hope for genuine sports happiness in the short term (Sabres bad, Bills mediocre, UB....well, UB), and they have given a couple of soul-crushing losses relatively recently. I'd imagine it must be significantly worse actually having gone there paid them an immense amount of money.

Yes yes, much worse.

Just saw that the FSU defender took his helmet off on the field (15 yard personal foul) right in front of the ref who threw the PI flag.The redo should have been from the 9 not the 18. That's a huge difference with Golson's feet.

Also, the ref through the PI flag before the ball was thrown. Is that weird?

Just saw that the FSU defender took his helmet off on the field (15 yard personal foul) right in front of the ref who threw the PI flag.The redo should have been from the 9 not the 18. That's a huge difference with Golson's feet.

I know that helmet rule exists in the NFL; is it in college ball, too?

1) If it makes you feel any better, I've seen this go uncalled several times in the NFL this year as well. Seems that refs everywhere have become inconsistent with it. Not feeling better? Sorry, I tried.

2) I don't think so. I think a pick can be called regardless of the timing of the throw.

1) If it makes you feel any better, I've seen this go uncalled several times in the NFL this year as well. Seems that refs everywhere have become inconsistent with it. Not feeling better? Sorry, I tried.

2) I don't think so. I think a pick can be called regardless of the timing of the throw.

But it's not a penalty on a screen pass right? So if Robinson catches it behind the line, no call. Somehow he knew Corey was gonna take 3 more steps forward.

I just noticed the world series is only 9 days long if 7 games. Is it always that short? NHL would turn that into at least 10, but probably 14 days. Interesting.

It is usually that short. There are a couple of reasons why the NHL takes longer:

(1) Baseball uses a 2-3-2 format for 7 game series; the NHL hasn't done that since around the 1994 semifinals. Even then, the 2-3-2 format was used only in the Western / Campbell conference; in the East / Wales, it was 2-2-1-1-1 (as it is league-wide, in all series, now). So there is a need for more travel days in the NHL.

(2) Although in days past, NHL teams used to play back-to-back games in some playoff series, that doesn't happen anymore; the league wants well-rested teams. Baseball teams are used to playing nearly every day even through the regular season.

Edited by Eleven

Don't get me started. I have been on this soapbox forever.

It makes sense for baseball, though; it's always been a series-based sport (as in, three games here, four games there, three games at home against this team, three against that team, etc.).

It makes sense for baseball, though; it's always been a series-based sport (as in, three games here, four games there, three games at home against this team, three against that team, etc.).

3-3-1 would accomplish the same and give the home team an actual advantage, BUT...

There is a nonsense method for determining home field advantage in the World Series, so I understand throwing a bone to the "visitors" by letting them be the first to 3 home games.

3-3-1 would accomplish the same and give the home team an actual advantage, BUT...

There is a nonsense method for determining home field advantage in the World Series, so I understand throwing a bone to the "visitors" by letting them be the first to 3 home games.

3-3-1 would be pretty cool.

They don't always do 2-3-2 though, do they? I thought it was just when there was a long distance. Was that subway series back in the 90s a 2-3-2?

Damn. If I was a betting man, I would have bet the house that back in the 60's, 70's & 80's it was 2-2-1-1-1. I just looked it up. I was wrong. :oops:

It made sense to do it that way back then because w/ no cross league play you couldn't necessarily say which team in the series was the better one prior to playing it. A few more wins in 1 league could be indicative of the quality of the competition rather than that of the league champ.

Just alternate which league got 1,2,6,& 7 and expect it'll balance out in the long run. Same way the Bills were the road team in XXV & XXVII and the home team in XXVI & XXVIII.

It made sense to do it that way back then because w/ no cross league play you couldn't necessarily say which team in the series was the better one prior to playing it. A few more wins in 1 league could be indicative of the quality of the competition rather than that of the league champ.

Just alternate which league got 1,2,6,& 7 and expect it'll balance out in the long run. Same way the Bills were the road team in XXV & XXVII and the home team in XXVI & XXVIII.

I find this to be a much better option than basing home field advantage on the winners of a talent show.

I find this to be a much better option than basing home field advantage on the winners of a talent show.

Absolutely.

That would be my preference. If they have to award homefield to someone for a 'tangible' reason, give 1, 2, 6, & 7 to the team from the league that won interleague play.