Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Not the country at large, just the objectionable bastards they've tossed in to play with the weird science experiment that is Messi.

Full disclosure: ###### Messi. Right in the ear.

That team wouldn't have qualified without him.  It's a really bad team with one great player.

Who's everyone pulling for by the way?

I want Portugal to win. Worst case scenario is Brazil or Argentina

I can't root for that pansy Ronaldo.  I guess of the teams that realistically have a chance, probably Germany or Brazil.  If Russia wins, my girlfriend will be insufferable for the next four years lifetimes, so I can't root for them either.

Edited by Eleven

That team wouldn't have qualified without him.  It's a really bad team with one great player.

I can't root for that pansy Ronaldo.  I guess of the teams that realistically have a chance, probably Germany or Brazil.

I mean you can't say that about Ronaldo when meanwhile Neymar is the biggest diver in the history of the sport

I mean you can't say that about Ronaldo when meanwhile Neymar is the biggest diver in the history of the sport

No, Pepe is the biggest diver in the history of the sport.

And I suppose Ronaldo was really nice with that one sculptor guy.

While this is true, that one great player was quite literally created in a lab at the expense and for the benefit of FC Barcelona and Nike. How he's never been taken to task or even been asked about this is confounding.

What, Argentina wouldn't have qualified? They 1000% would have. They still have Higuain, Aguero, Mascherano, Dybala, and Di Maria

Who's everyone pulling for by the way?

I want Portugal to win. Worst case scenario is Brazil or Argentina

I had been pulling for Argentina because I admire Messi and wanted to see him redeem himself.

But they look awful. Just awful.

I may take up with Croatia - just because they looked so damn good.

Argentina has a good amount of talent. They just have no team concept. No plan. No shape.

I look at their coach, and I think I see why they're in such disarray.

What, Argentina wouldn't have qualified? They 1000% would have. They still have Higuain, Aguero, Mascherano, Dybala, and Di Maria

IIRC: Messi scored a hat trick in their last qualifying game (which they had to win to qualify) -- basically willed them to the tournament.

IIRC: Messi scored a hat trick in their last qualifying game (which they had to win to qualify) -- basically willed them to the tournament.

I can't verify or deny that, but that still doesn't mean they wouldn't have made it. That's a very, very talented roster, that may play a lot different if they're not just feeding Messi and letting him take 6 shots a game. Who knows, maybe someone else actually scores on those chances unlike Messi. They'd definitely play a team game for once, which would benefit the widespread talent they have on that roster.

Don't forget, Messi "Retired" from the national team and had to be coaxed back when it looked dead certain they weren't qualifying... and yet people think he's the nicer alternative to (the admittedly hideous) Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is actually a good guy. He gets a bad rap cause he's a dick on the pitch, sure. 

Ronaldo is actually a good guy. He gets a bad rap cause he's a dick on the pitch, sure.

I'll put it this way: were I on his (Ronaldo's) team, the second time he stood there with his arms spread out and yelled at a teammate for not passing to him in an unideal position, would be the last one. This would be one minute into any game.

I can't verify or deny that, but that still doesn't mean they wouldn't have made it. That's a very, very talented roster, that may play a lot different if they're not just feeding Messi and letting him take 6 shots a game. Who knows, maybe someone else actually scores on those chances unlike Messi. They'd definitely play a team game for once, which would benefit the widespread talent they have on that roster.

Oh, I agree that the Argentinian side is plenty talented. And I definitely agree that their play is unimaginative, stale, and flat.

I'll put it this way: were I on his (Ronaldo's) team, the second time he stood there with his arms spread out and yelled at a teammate for not passing to him in an unideal position, would be the last one. This would be one minute into any game.

I understand the sentiment. But if that teammate were the world's greatest finisher, you'd probably not be in a position to assert your alpha supremacy.

They won exactly one qualifier without Messi and needed his hat trick in the final qualifier to make it.  They 1000% would NOT have.

Edited by Eleven

I think out of all the top players, he is one of the nicest guys.  

Just ask yourself, How many of you donate blood ?  He does a lot and one of the reasons he doesn't have a tattoo.

He does a lot for charity, but never does any press about it.   Still yeah a dick on the field :p