Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Still not a fan of this 'technology' nonsense in football ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/worldcup/fifa-world-cup-france-australia-recap-june-16-1.4709506

Ah but technology was right, it was a penalty and ball crossed the goal line.    

But we had some issues with the use of Video ref in the belgian league.

Just told guys at my bar this.

Next games 

Argentina - Croatia   L-W

Nigera - Iceland L-W

Wordl cup is done for messi.    And its a possibility. 

Also

Everyone thinks Brazil will get passed group stage,  Switzerland and Serbia have some good players.

Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia -  Belgium always had rough games against those teams.  Never discount Balkan countries doing an upset. 

Also belgium group features 3 teams whom didn't lose a game in the Qualifiers , we drew the best African country in Tunisia.

Wow - (15) Mexico just upset (1) Germany 1-0. And what a finish. Germany applied all kinds of pressure, but couldn’t score. What a game.

Terrific game plan and execution by Mexico.

Germany didn’t look themselves — not as strong in the attacking mid as we’re used to seeing.

Twitter going crazy over Landon Donovan’s pro-Mexico ad — but I always pull for CONCACAF in the World Cup.

Terrific game plan and execution by Mexico.

Germany didn’t look themselves — not as strong in the attacking mid as we’re used to seeing.

Twitter going crazy over Landon Donovan’s pro-Mexico ad — but I always pull for CONCACAF in the World Cup.

Germany isn't the same team as they were lats time around. Little bit older, little bit slower

Mexico is a very good team.  The Germans are notorious for taking group stage opponents too lightly, but just doing enough to make it through and then ... watch out.

I am still confident that the holders will be, at least, a top 4 side as this thing winds down.

Now that I am back in the States:  Watching Iceland-Argentina from the public square in Reykjavik is probably the best sports experience I ever have had.  

Better than watching Notre Dame whip Syracuse in Indiana.

Better than that 8-2 victory against Filly in the playoffs.

This was so amazing.  It was half rock concert and half soccer game.  And the DRAW AGAINST ARGEN-######-TINA!  The entire city went nuts.  

Iceland--the whole country--has roughly 1/3 the population of Erie County.  With some exceptions, the players have "real jobs."  For example, the goalkeeper--the hero of the game--is a film director.  The coach is a dentist.  Everyone knows everyone with a couple of degrees of separation, just like here.

That was incredible and I never will forget it.

Edited by Eleven

That's awesome, I really enjoyed Iceland, I had a similar experience with rugby in Kilkenny in the square, didn't know what was going on, but the experience was great!

Things like what you experienced are Memories that will always last, and Go Iceland!

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

Brazil started out well for first 15 minutes but then their nonchalant and lazy play showed again.

They got luck to still do a drew vs the Switzerland.     Hope Serbia beats them :D

Overall not really impressed with the play of all the favourites so far.   And Germany lost 4 in a row before the tournament.

Hey 11,

Very cool story.   :beer:

I heard some talking head on the radio on Saturday night that says in order to have real competitive football national teams the US and Canada need to model their programs after Iceland.

Also, the MLS needs to be run like the EPL and the other major European leagues where the biggest teams have systems in place to develop youth from a very early age.  I know that many view that as over controlling kids, but that is what happens, pretty much, with hockey.

Hey 11,

Very cool story.   :beer:

I heard some talking head on the radio on Saturday night that says in order to have real competitive football national teams the US and Canada need to model their programs after Iceland.

Also, the MLS needs to be run like the EPL and the other major European leagues where the biggest teams have systems in place to develop youth from a very early age.  I know that many view that as over controlling kids, but that is what happens, pretty much, with hockey.

The US needs to run its youth programs like literally anybody else other than the US.  The... how shall I put this... elitist, I guess... pay-to-play system is good at churning out Landon Donavans, not so much actual winners.  This has made me so angry for years, but whatever.  Never gonna change.

The US needs to run its youth programs like literally anybody else other than the US.  The... how shall I put this... elitist, I guess... pay-to-play system is good at churning out Landon Donavans, not so much actual winners.  This has made me so angry for years, but whatever.  Never gonna change.

Other countries require credentials to coach at the over-10 level.  Moms and dads shouting on the sideline isn't going to cut it.

To NS's point, Iceland has more credentialed coaches per capita right now than just about anyone.

Edited by Eleven

Other countries require credentials to coach at the over-10 level.  Moms and dads shouting on the sideline isn't going to cut it.

To NS's point, Iceland has more credentialed coaches per capita right now than just about anyone.

Improvements in coaching are needed, but as long as those improved coaches are hidden away in country-club travel leagues out of reach to a good chunk of the population but are absolutely the only way to get on the USSF's radar unless you're a talent from abroad who can finagle a US passport, we're not actually changing anything.

Unrelated note: with the obvious exception of Dany Welbeck, I hate every single on that England team and also on the bench.  Woof.

I had a good explanation given to me on the Twitter over the weekend. I lapsed into my familiar "yeah, just wait until the next Steph Curry and Russ Westbrook are soccer players, not basketball players" thing, and someone else politely, and I think correctly, chimed in to say: That doesn't actually matter. The USMNT athletes are plenty athletic. It's their lack of technical acumen that holds the team back. Most elite American players don't become world class technical players.

Pulisic is the exception that proves the rule -- and, critically, he was allowed to play in Germany at a tender age because of some loophole I do not comprehend.

I had a good explanation given to me on the Twitter over the weekend. I lapsed into my familiar "yeah, just wait until the next Steph Curry and Russ Westbrook are soccer players, not basketball players" thing, and someone else politely, and I think correctly, chimed in to say: That doesn't actually matter. The USMNT athletes are plenty athletic. It's their lack of technical acumen that holds the team back. Most elite American players don't become world class technical players.

Pulisic is the exception that proves the rule -- and, critically, he was allowed to play in Germany at a tender age because of some loophole I do not comprehend.

Pulisic has a Croatian passport, and thus is allowed to live/work in Germany without needing a permit.

Sure.

It’s a policy that is impeding our best players’ development.

How is playing in a top European league impeding his development?  Not for the sake of snark, but a legit question, as I don't follow you thought process here.

But it's not our policy, is it?  It's Europe's policy, I think.

Correct, if I follow you correctly.  It's only possible since Croatia became part of the EU and he has a Croatian (now EU) passport.

But it's not our policy, is it? It's Europe's policy, I think.

Is it? I’d thought it was a rule that the US Federation had enacted: That US born players can’t go to Europe to train full time until they turn 18. But I think you must be right, as I reflect on the matter.

FFS: We need to pressure Europe to let our up amd coming Pulisic’s in at age 16. Developmentally, that’s when young players can make that big leap — the opportunities to do so here in the US just aren’t there. As Pulisic noted, ~16 year old star American players have their development retarded by becoming the focal point of their teams.

How is playing in a top European league impeding his development? Not for the sake of snark, but a legit question, as I don't follow you thought process here.

I was saying that the policy that prohibits other US players from doing what Pulisic did is the problem. Elite US players have to become more technically proficient in order for the US to take a permanent step forward. I doubt that can happen here in the US.

Is it? I’d thought it was a rule that the US Federation had enacted: That US born players can’t go to Europe to train full time until they turn 18. But I think you must be right, as I reflect on the matter.

FFS: We need to pressure Europe to let our up amd coming Pulisic’s in at age 16. Developmentally, that’s when young players can make that big leap — the opportunities to do so here in the US just aren’t there. As Pulisic noted, ~16 year old star American players have their development retarded by becoming the focal point of their teams.

I was saying that the policy that prohibits other US players from doing what Pulisic did is the problem. Elite US players have to become more technically proficient in order for the US to take a permanent step forward. I doubt that can happen here in the US.

EU Immigration laws pretty much prevent kids from the US going over unless they have a dual citizenship allowing them to come in on EU passports, or under certain circumstances if the family moves over before the kid reaches a certain age.  European clubs have been cherry-picking those kids for years.  There's a kid (in his early 30's by now) from here in Roanoke who played for Arsenal briefly before injury wrecked his career, only made possible by an Italian passport thanks to his mom.   

The US national setup is chock full of German kids with US military dads, who came up through the German system but weren't ever going to make the grade there.  It's exactly backwards.  An investment needs to be made in actually making the situation here better.  It's cheaper and more forgiving of laziness to maintain the status quo...