Round Two, Pick # 44: Jake McCabe

spndnchz

hahaha, I guess Regier couldn't resist, he was just itching to fill his defensive player pick ;)

The Sabres do seem to do well when it comes to drafting defense though.

I'm surprised the Blue Jackets took Oscar Dansk with the first pick in the 2nd round. They just made that trade for Bobrovsky yesterday.

Here's a long write-up on McCabe:

http://lastwordonspo...46-jake-mccabe/

McCabe is a very good skater. He has a very good top end speed, quick acceleration and a smooth stride. He pivots and changes directiions quickly and efficiently. He has good agility and balance, and uses his edges well. McCabe’s excellent skating game helps him in all aspects of the game. He is good at rushing with the puck, is capable of getting to a lot of loose pucks, is able to create space for himself in both the offensive and defensive zone, and is rarely beaten by pure speed off the rush. It is his biggest asset in creating the all around game that makes McCabe an intriguing prospect.

McCabe is at his best defensively, even against older competition in the NCAA. As mentionned he is very good defending against the rush, keeping his opponent in front of him, and using a quick stick to knock the puck off an opponent’s stick. He’s not known as a big hitter, but is willing to engage in physical battles along the boards, and in front of his own net. McCabe has excellent hockey IQ, and plays a strong positional game, using his body and his stick to cut off passing and shooting lanes.

(There's more after that. They're saying he projects as a no.3/4 d-man.)

Here's a long write-up on McCabe:

http://lastwordonspo...46-jake-mccabe/

(There's more after that. They're saying he projects as a no.3/4 d-man.)

I'm guessing with guys like McNabb and Pysyk coming up a puck moving D man was next on the list.

I have to honestly believe Buffalo is going to make a move or two this off season and send a couple of these defense-man packing in trades, whether it be a veteran and young gun or some form of combination. There is just a great deal of D talent in Buffalo's pipeline.

The Sabres do seem to do well when it comes to drafting defense though.

I'm surprised the Blue Jackets took Oscar Dansk with the first pick in the 2nd round. They just made that trade for Bobrovsky yesterday.

Dansk is like money going forward. . He has value in future trades. I can't believe NJ passed on him. If Howden is committed to a future with Bobo, he's nuts.

I like the pick. Most of the guys we pick are (on average) three years away from being NHL ready and at that point we'll likely have no Leo, no Regehr, Sulzer probably won't be around... grabbing a d-man who can skate never hurts. And, you can never have enough Badgers!

With McCabe and Navin playing at Univ. of Wisconsin, I wonder if the Sabres also scouted pending UFA Justin Schultz. Anyone got any idea if

the Sabres will try to sign him? We're deep at D, but having more "options" is always good.

Might find out in a few days.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Justin Schultz becomes UFA at midnight Sunday night. Blue-chip D prospect to meet with agent(s) in Toronto on Tuesday. Will field offers Wed

DEVINE SAYS: “We actually (had) McCabe rated at the end of the first round. We weren’t sure if we were going to get a forward or defense, but he was too high up on our board. He played for (Rochester head coach) Ron Rolston before, so we know about his character.”

With McCabe and Navin playing at Univ. of Wisconsin, I wonder if the Sabres also scouted pending UFA Justin Schultz. Anyone got any idea if

the Sabres will try to sign him? We're deep at D, but having more "options" is always good.

I would think that they're saving their $ for free agency.

Archived