Sabres New Media Summit, Ray replaces Neale

spndnchz

So is KS still going to do play-by-play for the games that RJ takes off? If not, then who is?

So I'm gathering that Ray will do color commentary full time for both home and away games, but when he's at home, he'll do it from between the benches and when he's away, he'll do it from the booth?

No one has been mentioned yet.

And, yes.

So I'm gathering that Ray will do color commentary full time for both home and away games, but when he's at home, he'll do it from between the benches and when he's away, he'll do it from the booth?

So in other words, when they're at home there will be no color commentary while the game is in play at home. There's no way they'll want a live mic down there in the middle of play.

So in other words, when they're at home there will be no color commentary while the game is in play at home. There's no way they'll want a live mic down there in the middle of play.

interesting point.

i, for one, welcome that development. color commentary during play (by play) is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Many of you will remember the several game day/broadcast experience surveys they took last season. Looks like most fans agreed with me.

FWIW, I think Dimples is ideal for the radio gig. That's where he came from, anyway. I LOVE the idea of Sabres talk all morning. It's the same, recycled crap after a while, but I'm still one of those fans who can't get enough recycled crap.

I'm such a pun-ster. Tee hee!

Many of you will remember the several game day/broadcast experience surveys they took last season. Looks like most fans agreed with me.

FWIW, I think Dimples is ideal for the radio gig. That's where he came from, anyway. I LOVE the idea of Sabres talk all morning. It's the same, recycled crap after a while, but I'm still one of those fans who can't get enough recycled crap.

I'm such a pun-ster. Tee hee!

I'm sure you're right, there will be recycled garbage after awhile. But if what Sylvester said was right, he wants to try and make the show give some insight into how the NHL operates. He wants to have on scouts, GM, players, coaches (probably more of the ex-variety than currently employed, but whatever). Stuff like that can't carry a daily show, but if he delivers on a somewhat regular basis I think it will be a nice change of pace from most talk radio.

I'm sure you're right, there will be recycled garbage after awhile. But if what Sylvester said was right, he wants to try and make the show give some insight into how the NHL operates. He wants to have on scouts, GM, players, coaches (probably more of the ex-variety than currently employed, but whatever). Stuff like that can't carry a daily show, but if he delivers on a somewhat regular basis I think it will be a nice change of pace from most talk radio.

I learned today that I qualify for the GM job as long as Mr. Pegula would enjoy being around me. So would just about everyone here according to his listed reasons he keeps R+R around.

Although I probably have too much self-confidence since I would expect to make educated decisions and actually have them work in my favor most of the time.

Sylvester's show is going to bomb if the Sabres aren't doing well. It feels like one of those infomercials where the guy that looks like Skippy from Family Ties is out back by the pool trying to tell you how you will make millions in real estate using his system.

I learned today that I qualify for the GM job as long as Mr. Pegula would enjoy being around me. So would just about everyone here according to his listed reasons he keeps R+R around.

Although I probably have too much self-confidence since I would expect to make educated decisions and actually have them work in my favor most of the time.

Sylvester's show is going to bomb if the Sabres aren't doing well. It feels like one of those infomercials where the guy that looks like Skippy from Family Ties is out back by the pool trying to tell you how you will make millions in real estate using his system.

I'd rather listen to an infomercial for pre poop-stained diapers than listen to Colin Cowherd.

I listened the first couple of days as well and to tell the truth, it was rather uncomfortable to listen to. On day one Kevin basically opened the show by saying I'm an employee of the team, the coach and GM and players are employees of the team, I'm not going to say negative things about co-workers, so don't ask. That's a paraphrase but the point was rather clear.

Then yesterday, in a scattered, babbling, downright uncomfortable interview with Pegula, Kev kept replying to half of the rambles with "That's a great point" or "That was really well put". He was saying this after what could only be described as incoherent babble from Pegs. I was listening via the audio vault on WGR and actually had to go back and listen to one of the comments from Pegula twice because I had NO idea what he was talking about.

Dear God, what's this going to be like in a month when there is NOTHING going on in the league?

This is Kevin Sylvester broadcasting from the Sabres store... It looks like we've got a customer coming in to buy a new jersey... no, their just looking for a restroom. We'll be back after the break with our special guest Sabretooth.

Rob Ray will be up in the broadcast booth with RJ. RJ has been signed to multi-year deal.

Neale will still be a "Danny Gare" type guy but not color commentator anymore. He'll be pre-game and between periods with Brian Duff (hired full time) and Robitaille.

And they say there is no God...

I want to like Sylvester's show; I really, really want to, but he's gotta start talking to the educated hockey fan base that's listening to him and stop it with the "NHL 101" stuff.

Today's topic: you have to give up something to get something in a trade.

Archived