Euro 2012 Champion  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win Euro 2012

• Spain
    • Germany
    • Italy
    • Croatia
    • Other

They can call a delay when the weather causes conditions that will dictate the outcome of the game. For example, if it rains so hard that the ball no longer can roll because of water puddles. Or the snow gets so deep that you can't see the ball etc. In the case today, I think the game got delayed for safety concerns because for the nearby lightning storms.

A few years back in a game in Africa lightning struck one of the corner flags and spread through the water on the pitch electrocuting several of the players.

Yeah, I opted out of linking the video since it's pretty brutal, but that's the match. Luckily, no one was killed in this game. Just a year earlier though, something similar happened where an entire team was killed on the pitch, I believe during practice.

Anyhow, good win for France and no one struck by lightning, I say it's a pretty good day in the Euros so far. Now for Sweden to grab the win against England to make things interesting...

Well, UEFA (European Football's corrupt governing body) has filed official charges of racism against the Croatian Football Federation. The charges stem from the Croatia vs. Italy match in which the charges stste that Croatian fans shouted racial slurs at Italian forward Mario Balotelli and (stop me if you have heard this one before ...) even through a banana onto the pitch. UEFA has pledged zero tollerance for such racism at the tournament, but it's a toothless promise.

Anyway ...

Yesterday France beat Ukraine 2 - 0 in a good match. The French are picking up their game at the right time.

In the second match England defeated Sweden 3 -2 in another good match. Sweden lead the match at one point and the winner was a beautiful marker in the 78th minute.

France and England are tied in points atop this group with 4, with France slightly ahead (by 1) on goal differential. The Ukraine is right behind with 3 points, but has a -1 goal differential.

Sweden and their golden boy Zlatan Ibrahimovic don't look too golden right now, with zero points and a -2 goal differential. The highly regarded Swedes have officially been eliminated from advancing to the quater finals and now, like the Irish, are relegated to playing spoiler.

Russia seems to be a solid contender to, but don't know who will beat spain though, except germany

Russia gone, Poland gone..........Greece and the Czechs pull through, pretty shocking results.

Camera just showed a section of England fans dressed like Templar Knights. :huh:

The dress up as that and bomber pilots...... ;)

Russia gone, Poland gone..........Greece and the Czechs pull through, pretty shocking results.

The dress up as that and bomber pilots...... ;)

Russia looked so good early on, but the Greeks know what it takes to win ... they were Euro champs in 2004.

Not too surprised that Poland didn't make it through. I thought they would get more of a boost as co-host.

The Czechs rebounded very well after that first match against Russia, which is somewhat surprising to me.

My appologies concerning the tie-breaker. I thought that the first one was goal differential, but it is head-to-head matchup results first. Since Greece defeated the Russians yesterday they make it through on the head-to-head tie-breaker, even though their goal differential was not as good as Russia's.

=====

In today's matches ...

The Dutch will be throwing caution to the wind against Portugal. They need to win by at least two goals and a German loss to the Danes to have any hope of advancing. Meanwhile a draw should be enough to get Portugal through. It seems that the Dutch will abandon their traditional orange jerseys for black ones ... unsure about this and not sure why they would do that ... after all, GoDD loves their orange duds ... ;) .

With the Germans already through to the quarter finals I expect them to rest their star players and a loss to Denmark is possible. Even if the Germans rest their stars they have more than enough talent to beat the Danes in a meaningless match for them ... the match also should mean nothing for the Danes, as I believe they have been eliminated from advancing. So, watch for them to put up a spirited battle in the name of pride.

Just a note concerning the checkered Croatian uniforms ... I really hate them. The white and red checker board is a throughback to the Ustaše (pronounced Ustasha in English) flag. The Ustaše were a group of fasists that ran the Nazi puppet state in what is now Croatia, Bosnia and parts of Serbia during WWII. They were ruthlessly brutal and barbaric.

This might make you feel better about that: The red and white checkerboard pattern has been a Croatian symbol for over 500 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Croatia

This might make you feel better about that: The red and white checkerboard pattern has been a Croatian symbol for over 500 years. http://en.wikipedia....arms_of_Croatia

Hi Eleven,

Welcome back. I'm glad you are out of "work jail" ... ;) .

While I understand and appreciate your posting the above link it has been my experience (in our time in the region we have spent considerable time working with war disadvantaged people in Croatia) that the symbol now is most closely related and embraced by extremely "nationalistic" (read "hot, hot Croats"). It is linked most often to the Ustaše regime. The government is desperately trying to distance themselves from this part of the country's history, as they are envisioning EU entry in a few years (they are in the final stages of admittance now). The EU is strong in their desire to make sure that chapter is not focused upon, as they take a dim view of any region holding strong "nationalistic" views.

... /end political rant ...

I now return you to the Euro 2012 programming.

Not too surprised that Poland didn't make it through. I thought they would get more of a boost as co-host.

Disagree, Poland is a young and talented side. I watch the Bundesliga every Saturday and Dortmund is the best team in Europe that nobody knows about. (well almost nobody) Polands big three players all play on that team. They were probably done in by lack of experience more then anything else, but they were a dark horse IMO to be feared, not to mention the home support they were getting. They are a much more talented and more exciting team to watch then Greece and would be much more difficult a team to face in the Quarters then the Czechs.

Disagree, Poland is a young and talented side. I watch the Bundesliga every Saturday and Dortmund is the best team in Europe that nobody knows about. (well almost nobody) Polands big three players all play on that team. They were probably done in by lack of experience more then anything else, but they were a dark horse IMO to be feared, not to mention the home support they were getting. They are a much more talented and more exciting team to watch then Greece and would be much more difficult a team to face in the Quarters then the Czechs.

Oh, I agree with you my friend.

The lack of experience did them in, again I agree with you on that.

The Greeks (among others) know what it takes to win in these tournaments and more often than not it's not very pretty and rather dull.

Watched Greece and Russia last night and I'm having a real hard time getting over the pathetic diving and theatrics that seemed to be nonstop throughout the match. The beautiful game ? Not really. I won't waste valuable time subjecting myself to that garbage. Just play the damn game.

Watched Greece and Russia last night and I'm having a real hard time getting over the pathetic diving and theatrics that seemed to be nonstop throughout the match. The beautiful game ? Not really. I won't waste valuable time subjecting myself to that garbage. Just play the damn game.

There's so much of it, and it seems to grow worse with each major tournament. Greece's best player is banned from the next game because a Russian took a dive.

There's so much of it, and it seems to grow worse with each major tournament. Greece's best player is banned from the next game because a Russian took a dive.

While I don't much like it ...

It is all part of the game and, to me, a rather unsportsman like part of it.

As noted earlier in the thread the refs have been cracking down on the diving and even handing out yellow cards for flagrant violations. That said, as in the SCF when whistles, at times, seem to be put away, in an effort to have "the players decide the game" ... infractions of this nature being penalized in football, especially in major tournaments such as the World Cup or the Euro, are still quite rare. Look for the big shots at UEFA to pay lip service to the fact that they want to eliminate the diving ... after the Germans ... :P ... are crowned European Football champions. And then nothing will happen.

Sunday's results ... Happy Fathers Day to all, by the way ...

The Germans won the "Group of Death" with an efficient and, as usual, not too flashy 2 - 1 win over the Danes. The Danes held their own in this match and all their group stage matches, but it just was not in the cards this time around. Being grouped with Germany, Portugal and the Dutch was tough, even though the Dutch did not live up to expectations. It has been 20 years since the Danes scored one of the biggest upsets in European football, by defeating Germany 2 - 0 in the 1992 European Championship final. Oh well, better luck next time (especially in the grouping lottery) and the Danes have nothing to be ashamed of this time around.

The Portugese made it through as second place in this group. The extremely disappointing Dutch came out on fire and led 1 - 0 on a beautiful goal in the 11th minute. Portugal weathered this initial on-slaught and Christiano Ronaldo, in a statement game for him (his finest in the tournament so far) scored both Portugese goals. Since Argentinian superstar Lionel Messi is not playing in this tournament it really is time for Ronaldo to stake his claim as best footballer in the world. We shall see, but I expect he will blow up at some point now that the knock-out stage has, more or less, arrived.

Huge match today ... Croatia against Spain, with all the marbles on the line.

In the other match Italy plays Ireland. The Irish have been eliminated from advancing and the Italians are in a bit of a bind, but could advance if all things work in their favour. Look for the Italians to come out with all guns blazing. They really need to beat the Irish by 3 goals to have their best chance to advance.

=====

EDIT: In other football news Canada drew Honduras 0 - 0 in World Cup 2014 qualifying. An excellant result for my home country. The Canadians have looked good to this point and have a pretty good chance to qualify for their second World Cup, the first time came way back in 1986.

:w00t: ...

Now, that's funny.

Three out of four ain't bad. Croatia is OK, but look for them to join the official group of Euro debtors in about two years time. Replace them with Greece and you'd be 4 for 4.

Wish I could take credit for it. Saw it on the internet somewhere.

So today it's the Group of Debt?

This is why I love this game and tournament so much. It's unpredictable, for the most part, and there are no bad teams, as opposed to the World Cup.

Spain wins the "Group of Debt" with a very late goal against Croatia.

Italy is in second place after a 2 - 0 win over Ireland.

The Croatians are heading back to Dalmatia, which is fine with me ... that side always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I believe the Group Stage ends today and then the real fun begins ... the knock-out stage. The first team to win 3 more matches wins the tournament ... how is that for stating the obvious.

The final group stage matches were player yesterday.

France lost to Sweden 2 - 0, but became runners up in this group after England beat Ukraine 1 - 0.

France looked terrible in the loss. Swedens golden boy and captain, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, scored the goal of the tournament thus far on a great set-up, but overall the Swedes were very disappointing.

England welcomed back star striker Wayne Rooney, after he served a 2 match suspension (not sure what that was all about) and he scored the lone goal. Enland won this group and, therefore, will have the more favourable pairing in the quarter finals.

Both co-hosts have been eliminated.

In other news ...

UEFA has fined the Croatian Football Federation 80,000 Euro for the racism charges leveled for the fans treatment of an Italian player. This is the latest incident in a long line of ugly behavior by Croatian fans at such international matches. UEFA also fined a Danish player 100,000 Euro for revealing an event sponsors name on his underpants ... :doh: ... just plain nuts. UEFA is a joke. IMO, UEFA is ruining this tournament and football in Europe with these kind of crazy rulings. In the only ruling/fine by UEFA that I agree with ... they fined the Russian Footbal Association 120,000 Euro for their fans beating up ushers after a match.

If you want to know how popular football is in Canada ... TSN is reporting that each group match, played during the day in Canada, had over a million viewers ... in a country with a total population of only about 32 million ... WOW!!

If you want to know how popular football is in Canada ... TSN is reporting that each group match, played during the day in Canada, had over a million viewers ... in a country with a total population of only about 32 million ... WOW!!

Wait, really? New York state and Pennsylvania combined have the same population as all of Canada? And California has 5m more? I didn't realize that.

Wait, really? New York state and Pennsylvania combined have the same population as all of Canada? And California has 5m more? I didn't realize that.

Yes. It's true.

And think about this one ...

The largest metropolitan area (by population - 2012 stats ... hey, carp) ... Tokyo at just under 37 million has about 5 million more inhabitants than all of Canada.

Canada is a huge and, pretty much, empty country. A vast majority of Canadians live within an hour of the US border. About 10 - 15 million live in the Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto (and area) triangle. Another 5 - 7 million, or so, live between Calgary and Vancouver. Halifax, my home city, has around 400,000 and all of Nova Scotia has less than a million.

So, there you go ... more worthless information to add to the pile coming from my almost 1,000 posts.

Yes. It's true.

And think about this one ...

The largest metropolitan area (by population - 2012 stats ... hey, carp) ... Tokyo at just under 37 million has about 5 million more inhabitants than all of Canada.

Canada is a huge and, pretty much, empty country. A vast majority of Canadians live within an hour of the US border. About 10 - 15 million live in the Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto (and area) triangle. Halifax, my home city, has around 400,000 and all of Nova Scotia has less than a million.

So, there you go ... more worthless information to add to the pile coming from my almost 1,000 posts.

I just learned something new today...I feel accomplished haha

Archived