Euro 2012 Champion  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win Euro 2012

• Spain
    • Germany
    • Italy
    • Croatia
    • Other

Italy actually tried to play decent soccer for a change, Joe Hart was amazing and the rest of the English weren't, and penalty kicks are still the dumbest way to end a major sporting contest.

They really can't play much longer, there is no perfect way to end it.

Vanek-Man, that is the trip of a lifetime. Awesome.

I agree. Vanek-Man your trip sounds awesome. Envy is not a good emotion, so I will just say that I wish I could have been there too.

Italy actually tried to play decent soccer for a change, Joe Hart was amazing and the rest of the English weren't, and penalty kicks are still the dumbest way to end a major sporting contest.

Italy dominated the game and over-time. I don't really like penalties deciding major tournament matches, but both sides are equal when they start. England does not have a very good record in major tournaments when matches come down to penalties.

They really can't play much longer, there is no perfect way to end it.

I agree. It's tough because knock-out stage matches can't end in a draw, so what is there to do after over-time. I just hope the semis and final do not come down to penalties.

-----

The first semi will be played on Wednesday. Spain and Portugal.

The second will be played on Thursday. Germany and Italy.

I expect a Germany and Spain final on Sunday, July 1st ... Canada Day.

I agree. Vanek-Man your trip sounds awesome. Envy is not a good emotion, so I will just say that I wish I could have been there too.

Italy dominated the game and over-time. I don't really like penalties deciding major tournament matches, but both sides are equal when they start. England does not have a very good record in major tournaments when matches come down to penalties.

I agree. It's tough because knock-out stage matches can't end in a draw, so what is there to do after over-time. I just hope the semis and final do not come down to penalties.

-----

The first semi will be played on Wednesday. Spain and Portugal.

The second will be played on Thursday. Germany and Italy.

I expect a Germany and Spain final on Sunday, July 1st ... Canada Day.

Big understatement ever. I think our record is played 8, lost 7. Not our specialty indeed lmao.

Since there were no other live sports on yesterday afternoon (well, golf but...), I invested time in watching the Italy-England match. I think the golf would have been more exciting. Even the penalty kicks were boring. I know this match was not typical of what you see in a quarter final but this one was certainly a snooze-fest. Sorry, I remain a dedicated non-soccer fan (oh, sorry - futbol). :yawn:

Since there were no other live sports on yesterday afternoon (well, golf but...), I invested time in watching the Italy-England match. I think the golf would have been more exciting. Even the penalty kicks were boring. I know this match was not typical of what you see in a quarter final but this one was certainly a snooze-fest. Sorry, I remain a dedicated non-soccer fan (oh, sorry - futbol). :yawn:

Actually, this match is pretty much what you get in a quarter final, or any late stage major tournament match ... not likely too exciting. That said, Italy took over 30 shots in the match and 20 found the target ... 20 shots on goal in any soccer match is a lot. I found, and I think many seasoned football fans, would agree ... this match was pretty exciting, if you were a supporter of Italy.

And, as for not being a "futbol" fan ... stay the #### out of my thread ...

... just kidding ... :P .

Found this video of Irish fans in Poznan. They truly did make an impression on the Euros. They were by far the best fans to drink with. In my two nights of drinking with them, we stayed in the city square til 6am both times. Wild times. Absolute zero incidents with other fans or police.

Found this video of Irish fans in Poznan. They truly did make an impression on the Euros. They were by far the best fans to drink with. In my two nights of drinking with them, we stayed in the city square til 6am both times. Wild times. Absolute zero incidents with other fans or police.

Nice video. The Irish fans are generally very well behaved ... drink a lot, but well behaved.

And, if you pick some guys and gals to drink with ... the Irish are always a good choice ... and I mean no offense ... :beer: !!

To quote a great song by a great band (The Smiths) ... "stop me if you've heard this one before" ...

Spain is back in the Euro final after a 4 - 2 win over Portugal ... ON PENALTIES!! So, one semi is in the books and again it came down to penalties after a scoreless full and over-time.

Spain really knows what it takes to win these things.

I don't know what the heeelll the Portugese coach was thinking, but his fifth penalty shooter, Christiano Ronaldo, never got his chance. Why would he have him shooting fifth I'll never know.

Germany and Italy tomorrow.

Nice video. The Irish fans are generally very well behaved ... drink a lot, but well behaved.

And, if you pick some guys and gals to drink with ... the Irish are always a good choice ... and I mean no offense ... :beer: !!

Side note: unless your English.

I am really sad.

We lost again against Italy.

Two stupid defensive mistakes cost us the title. It is a shame :(

Well, don't feel so bad. I think Spain would have betten Germany in the final. Moral of the story ... never bet against Italy when they play Germany in a major tournament (Germany's record ... 0 wins, 4 losses and 4 draws in 8 matches ... including the 1982 World Cup final and the 2006 (hosted by Germany) World Cup semi final).

Balotelli is a fine specimen :wub: ... yellow carded for taking off his shirt to celebrate his second goal of the first half ... ladies and gentlemen, if you like, Google search for the photo ... actually it's on CBC.ca's Euro page. What the heck, here it is ...

balotelli-german_940-8col.jpg

The final score was 2 - 1, but Germany's lone goal was on a penalty in second half injury time.

So, Spain and Italy in the final on Sunday.

I expect a Spain win, but would not be surprised if the Azzurri take the title.

1) How did Balotelli finally find the composure to score--twice?!

2) For once, Italy is playing attacking soccer. And they're going to play Spain, which plays like Italy used to play.

0-0, penalties decide it again.

Sickening. Depressing.

What an awful, awful, awful, AWFUL day.

Perhaps a mod will make this one exception and open the Complaints Thursday thread for you ... ;) .

1) How did Balotelli finally find the composure to score--twice?!

2) For once, Italy is playing attacking soccer. And they're going to play Spain, which plays like Italy used to play.

0-0, penalties decide it again.

1) He always had it in him. He is like the JR of football ... excellent player, but with a bit of a loose screw. Taking advantage, finally, of a grand stage.

2) Should be a good match, hopefully.

Penalties ... NO, NO, NO ... a thousand times NO!!

Well, don't feel so bad. I think Spain would have betten Germany in the final. Moral of the story ... never bet against Italy when they play Germany in a major tournament (Germany's record ... 0 wins, 4 losses and 4 draws in 8 matches ... including the 1982 World Cup final and the 2006 (hosted by Germany) World Cup semi final).

Balotelli is a fine specimen :wub: ... yellow carded for taking off his shirt to celebrate his second goal of the first half ... ladies and gentlemen, if you like, Google search for the photo ... actually it's on CBC.ca's Euro page. What the heck, here it is ...

balotelli-german_940-8col.jpg

The final score was 2 - 1, but Germany's lone goal was on a penalty in second half injury time.

So, Spain and Italy in the final on Sunday.

I expect a Spain win, but would not be surprised if the Azzurri take the title.

Yeah you are right about the fact to not bet on Germany when they play against Italy in a tournament.

They just own us and we don't know why. It is just sad, rellay sad. Germany have a fantastic team, but after having lost 3 semifinals and 1 final in the last 4 tournaments ( 8 years), this generation of great players may not win a title in the end. I hope for the best for 2014 in Brasil.

Yeah you are right about the fact to not bet on Germany when they play against Italy in a tournament.

They just own us and we don't know why. It is just sad, rellay sad. Germany have a fantastic team, but after having lost 3 semifinals and 1 final in the last 4 tournaments ( 8 years), this generation of great players may not win a title in the end. I hope for the best for 2014 in Brasil.

I feel sorry for the German fans. Whenever they run up against Italy they can't get it done, even with elite level talent.

I think they will be ready for WC 2014. All the fans, players, coaches ... better hope they do not run up against Italy. If not, they would have a very good chance at the championship. That said, with this group of aging players it would likely be their last kick at the can in 2014.

If Spain pulls of this Euro Championship (I think they will) I will be the first to call a Spain victory in WC 2014. Imagine that ... Euro, WC, Euro and WC Champions in a string of 6 years.

I feel sorry for the German fans. Whenever they run up against Italy they can't get it done, even with elite level talent.

I think they will be ready for WC 2014. All the fans, players, coaches ... better hope they do not run up against Italy. If not, they would have a very good chance at the championship. That said, with this group of aging players it would likely be their last kick at the can in 2014.

Are you referring to Germany with this line, they are the youngest team in the Euro.

Are you referring to Germany with this line, they are the youngest team in the Euro.

Yes, but some of their key players are getting a little long in the tooth.

That said, with 2 years more International experience for their up and coming players things very well could come up rosey in 2014 ... so long as they do not face Italy in the knock-out stage ... :P .

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch either semi-final match.

I have absolutely no desire to watch a Spain-Italy final. Expectation is that Spain wins in penalty kicks. If I'm watching TV tomorrow, it'll be Wimbledon, not the equivalent of a neutral zone trap on an 110 yard pitch.

Yes, but some of their key players are getting a little long in the tooth.

That said, with 2 years more International experience for their up and coming players things very well could come up rosey in 2014 ... so long as they do not face Italy in the knock-out stage ... :P .

Lahm and Schweiny will be 29 in 2014, thats still prime time in my book. Podolski and Klose will be off the squad. We will miss Klose, but Podolski is more of an athlete then he is a talented soccer player, terrible first touch and can't keep pace with the passing of the younger Germans. I wish that he didn't play at all this tournament, Marco Reus and Andre Schurrle have far more upside. My favourite young German never even touched the pitch, Mario Gotze is on the verge of becoming a super star. If Dortmund progress in the Champions league this year like they should, everyone is gonna know who that kid is......He just turned 20 by the way and he plays a lot like Ozil but with a bit more power.

Archived