1. 1. Who will win Euro 2012

• Spain
    • Germany
    • Italy
    • Croatia
    • Other

U.S.A - U.S.A - U.S.A.

In real play, or friendlies?

Either way ... good for you guys. I know the sport is not very popular in the States, but they must have a real grass-roots love of the game and player development. I have been impressed with the US National Team for some time now.

Torres in the 84th minute.

3 - 0 Spain in second half injury time.

At least, it seems, it won't come down to penalties, thankfully.

The match has just gone final after yet another goal for Spain.

4 - 0 is the final score, in a match pretty reflective of the final score, even though the 2 final goals came very late with the Italians really pressing.

Who ever had picked Spain in the poll (me and one other) good on you.

I will keep the thread open for a while in case of comments.

A very surprisingly entertaining final. I expected Spain to go into its shell, and Italy to attack (Italy, not based upon history, but based upon this tournament). Instead, both teams attacked, and Italy, for the first time in the tournament, flopped everywhere in the first half.

At 2-0, I was amazed that Spain still attacked. At 3-0, I was nearly speechless. Congrats to them for not putting ten men behind the ball and actually playing a good game.

For non-soccer fans: What Spain did today was roughly the equivalent of New Jersey trying for another goal while up 2-0 with five minutes left in the third.

Not sure that it matter what Italy did today, Spain was to much. There coach I thought made some bad calls, Chellini coming off injury, did not need to start and had to leave early on in the Match. The same with Thiago Motto, he was coming off injury and came on for 2 minutes before going down. This kept them from putting two of there key players from previous matches, DiMante and Nocherino. But like I said, not sure if it would have mattered. Sad to see Italy stop trying in the last 20 minutes.

In the knock-out stages, Spain has outscored it's opponents 14-0 in the last 3 major tournaments (Euro 2008, Euro 2012, World Cup 2010).

wow.

Wow, is right.

Also, I believe (but could be mistaken), they are the first team to put together the string of Euro Champion - World Cup Champion - Euro Champion.

Many say they play a boring style. I don't agree. Yesterday they were on the attack the whole match, maybe even a bit much on the gas peddle when the outcome was secure.

I will say this ... I have never seen any other side make precision passes like this Spanish team. Just amazing and that really keeps the opponents off their game. No side has come up with an effective way to counter that passing.

Watch out in Brazil 2014. If they can keep the aging core together for one more run a WC Championship in 2014 is not out of the question.

Guest Sloth

Wow, is right.

Also, I believe (but could be mistaken), they are the first team to put together the string of Euro Champion - World Cup Champion - Euro Champion.

Many say they play a boring style. I don't agree. Yesterday they were on the attack the whole match, maybe even a bit much on the gas peddle when the outcome was secure.

I will say this ... I have never seen any other side make precision passes like this Spanish team. Just amazing and that really keeps the opponents off their game. No side has come up with an effective way to counter that passing.

Watch out in Brazil 2014. If they can keep the aging core together for one more run a WC Championship in 2014 is not out of the question.

The squad Spain has had the past 4 years is arguably the greatest ever. Winning Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 is unbelievable. Granted, Brazil does not get to play in Euro Cup, but I'm not sure if any Brazilian team could've done what Spain just accomplished. Look at the stat Vanek-Man posted. Spain has out scored opponents 14-0 in the knockout rounds! That is insane! Those are numbers a powerhouse high school team would put up if there was little to no competition.

In real play, or friendlies?

Either way ... good for you guys. I know the sport is not very popular in the States, but they must have a real grass-roots love of the game and player development. I have been impressed with the US National Team for some time now.

Most probably already know this, but it's obviously not true that the USA is the only team to beat Italy and Spain.

We didn't win it... so the Euro2012 sucked .... :P

Better luck next time and hope you don't face the Italians in the knock-out phase ... :thumbsup: .

I just voted for Italy. :)

That's OK. At least you didn't vote for the winner of a match played 4 days ago ... :beer: .

Wow, is right.

Not only can they compete for the title in Brazil with their current squad, Spain also hold the U21 title, U19 title and the U18 title. They have the most loaded youth of anyone.

We didn't win it... so the Euro2012 sucked .... :P

Im getting tired of looking at the Marcus Foligno April wallpaper.... lol you got anything new? ;)

Not only can they compete for the title in Brazil with their current squad, Spain also hold the U21 title, U19 title and the U18 title. They have the most loaded youth of anyone.

Im getting tired of looking at the Marcus Foligno April wallpaper.... lol you got anything new? ;)

Right now it's difficult as I am 12 hours per day at work but soon ;)

In other football news ...

FIFA has decided to embrace goal-line technology to rule on disputed / questionable goals.

In the recent Euro Championships a goal by Ukraine was not allowed even though it was clearly over the goal line before it was drawn back out. England won that match to advance to the quarter finals.

And, the Canadian Football Federation has decided to make a bid for the 2026 World Cup. I don't think it would ever happen, but it would be sweet to host, as it means an automatic birth in the final tournament. That said Canada did host the U-20 World Cup and it was a huge success. Best attended U-20 WC ever, with more than a million ticket being sold to the event matches. Canada is also hosting the Womens WC in 2015. So, I will never say never to Canada hosting a Mens WC.

In other football news ...

FIFA has decided to embrace goal-line technology to rule on disputed / questionable goals.

In the recent Euro Championships a goal by Ukraine was not allowed even though it was clearly over the goal line before it was drawn back out. England won that match to advance to the quarter finals.

I hate it. Every 1000 games (FIFA sanctioned) or so is there a controversy over a goal that was or wasn't. It just happened this time around. However, every 300 (i completely forgot the number, it was low tho) is there a goal scored due to a off-sides (which was called on) or a unfair penalty kick. Ukraine was angry at the no-goal but the play was blown 5 seconds prior to the "no goal" when the linesman missed the off-side. When teams get screwed on off-sides and bad penalty kicks, there will be a outcry over replay on those. Once you adopt something, such as a review, the end is never close. People will always want it to go deeper and further to make the game "fair".

And, the Canadian Football Federation has decided to make a bid for the 2026 World Cup. I don't think it would ever happen, but it would be sweet to host, as it means an automatic birth in the final tournament.

Europe has never not gotten it for consecutive years, and with 2022 being in Qatar, i don't see anyway the corrupt FIFA will not award the games back to Europe. Germany and Italy will be favorites. England will be up there too. And i heard Poland is trying to pair up with Czech Republic for a joint bid.

I hate it. Every 1000 games (FIFA sanctioned) or so is there a controversy over a goal that was or wasn't. It just happened this time around. However, every 300 (i completely forgot the number, it was low tho) is there a goal scored due to a off-sides (which was called on) or a unfair penalty kick. Ukraine was angry at the no-goal but the play was blown 5 seconds prior to the "no goal" when the linesman missed the off-side. When teams get screwed on off-sides and bad penalty kicks, there will be a outcry over replay on those. Once you adopt something, such as a review, the end is never close. People will always want it to go deeper and further to make the game "fair".

Europe has never not gotten it for consecutive years, and with 2022 being in Qatar, i don't see anyway the corrupt FIFA will not award the games back to Europe. Germany and Italy will be favorites. England will be up there too. And i heard Poland is trying to pair up with Czech Republic for a joint bid.

I agree. I don't like the move to goal review.

FIFA is paying lip service to the fact that they want to have a county from North America host the WC soon. Last time was USA in 1994.

I will call it now ... I see Spain winning the gold medal in London. How's that for going out on a limb.

Maybe I should edit the thread title and keep it going to discuss all things football (real football ... :P ).

Anyone have any thoughts concerning that?

I agree. I don't like the move to goal review.

FIFA is paying lip service to the fact that they want to have a county from North America host the WC soon. Last time was USA in 1994.

I will call it now ... I see Spain winning the gold medal in London. How's that for going out on a limb.

Maybe I should edit the thread title and keep it going to discuss all things football (real football ... :P ).

Anyone have any thoughts concerning that?

haha Brazil prides themselves so much to win Olympic gold, that I always predict them. Even though Spain are favorites, i still say Brazil finally achieves their dream and gets gold for the first time. Brazil vs. Spain would be a heck of a final though!

Archived