Euro 2012 Champion  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win Euro 2012

• Spain
    • Germany
    • Italy
    • Croatia
    • Other

For anyone and all that are interested ...

Yesterday's results:

Co-host Ukraine looked very good in coming back to beat a good Swedish team (2 - 1) on two goals by Shevchenko.

In a defensive struggle (read snore fest) of two good teams that are likely to underachieve this time around ... France and England drew 1 - 1.

In today's first match the Czech Republic scored two early goals (in the first 6 minutes of the match) and held on to defeat Greece 2 - 1. The Greeks, who won the tournament in 2004, will be in tough to make it out of the Group Stage this time around.

Today's late game has the high flying Russians facing co-host Poland. The schenanigans have started already with fans of the two teams brawling prior to the kick-off.

I thought Greece might be able to come back, but alas, they couldn't. Good game by the Czech Republic. I don't know why, but I would like to see Poland win this game against Russia.

I was watching a bit of CZE-GRE at lunch today. I know this is an American thing to say, but the following would "fix" football (for me, I know many don't feel it needs to be fixed).

• Please, for the love of Pete, punish the diving and embelishment. A yellow card is probably a bit stiff. Maybe if you go down for more than 5 seconds, you must leave the field for at least 5 minutes with a free substitution in and out. Ripe for abuse when I team is out of substitutions though.
  • 'Back court violation', like basketball. Once you pass over the center line, you can't play it back to your own side.
  • Once the ball is below the top of the penalty area, no more offsides.
  • For shootouts, move the ball back to the top of the circle in the penalty area so it's not a gimme. I'm not sure I'd make that change for in-game penalty kicks.

I was watching a bit of CZE-GRE at lunch today. I know this is an American thing to say, but the following would "fix" football (for me, I know many don't feel it needs to be fixed).

• Please, for the love of Pete, punish the diving and embelishment. A yellow card is probably a bit stiff. Maybe if you go down for more than 5 seconds, you must leave the field for at least 5 minutes with a free substitution in and out. Ripe for abuse when I team is out of substitutions though.
  • 'Back court violation', like basketball. Once you pass over the center line, you can't play it back to your own side.
  • Once the ball is below the top of the penalty area, no more offsides.
  • For shootouts, move the ball back to the top of the circle in the penalty area so it's not a gimme. I'm not sure I'd make that change for in-game penalty kicks.

IMO, all good suggestions (especially for the diving ... I can't say exactly when, but I am almost 100% sure that yellow cards have been shown for the ones going for the acadamy awards), but ...

... likely will never happen.

IMO, all good suggestions (especially for the diving ... I can't say exactly when, but I am almost 100% sure that yellow cards have been shown for the ones going for the acadamy awards), but ...

... likely will never happen.

Women's World Cup, Brazil vs USA. Yellow Card given to woman who fell over/just fell down, got carted off the field, and as soon as she was off the field, sprinted to midfield to be subbed back in. was given the card upon re-entry.

Women's World Cup, Brazil vs USA. Yellow Card given to woman who fell over/just fell down, got carted off the field, and as soon as she was off the field, sprinted to midfield to be subbed back in. was given the card upon re-entry.

That's right. I believe there are other examples as well.

Today's results:

The first match has ended and in a spirited tilt Portugal defeated the plucky Danes 3 - 2. Portugal led 2 - 0 at one point in the first half. Denmark got one back just before the half and tied it in the 80th minute. A late substitute for Portugal scored the winner in the 84th minute. Once again Portugese superstar and prima donna (by Urban Dictionary's definition) Christiano Ronaldo had a miserable game and he is, thus far, having a miserable tournament ... just as I predicted in my opening post of this thread.

The second match today has the Dutch facing the ever efficient Germans. They are at the half and the Germans lead 2 - 0, on two beauties by Gomez, who is leading all goal scorers thus far in this tournament, with 3. If this score holds the Dutch will be in a very difficult position in this Group ... as Germany would have six points and Denmark and Portugal both have 3 points. The Dutch would have no points and no goals scored, which means even if it were to come down to goal differential to decide the second side to make it through to the quarter finals the Dutch will be in a huge mess.

Germany is ruining soccer by blocking all those shots.

:w00t: ... did you watch the game?

(sorry)

------

The game has just gone final. The Germans hung on for a 2 - 1 victory. With the win they become the first team to secure a berth in the quarter finals. At least the Dutch scored a goal. So the doom and gloom situation I described above is not quite as gloomy, but certainly not rosey either.

I like Holland because of the jerseys.

I follow the World Cup, but not much else.

Germany is ruining soccer by blocking all those shots.

Yeah, and they way the games are being called makes it look like they are playing in the middle of the sludgy dead-ball era...

And I chose the Dutch to root for, I guess that wasn't the best decision...

Seems like it is fair for me to count you three amoungst the legions of disappointed Dutch supporters.

Although it appears that Ghost is most upset with the fact that he will not, in all probability, be seeing those snazy orange uniiforms much longer ... :P .

I know! I can't wait for the Bills season to start either :nana:

i kid i kid. What games are today?

That's fine. I'm sure many are waiting for the Bills to get at it.

As for the real football being played across the pond ... :P ...

Today Italy plays Croatia in the first match. A win for Croatia would very likey mean a birth in the quarter finals. They may not clinch today, but would be in very good shape.

The second match has Spain against Ireland. The Irish will be desperate for a win, but would probably settle for a draw. Their goal differential is not good at -2 right now. With Italy's and Spain's goal differential both being zero right now the tie breaker would be tough for the Irish. Quite often in these competitions second place in the Group Stage are often determined by the tie-breaker ... the first tie-breaker being goal differential.

That's fine. I'm sure many are waiting for the Bills to get at it.

As for the real football being played across the pond ... :P ...

Today Italy plays Croatia in the first match. A win for Croatia would very likey mean a birth in the quarter finals. They may not clinch today, but would be in very good shape.

The second match has Spain against Ireland. The Irish will be desperate for a win, but would probably settle for a draw. Their goal differential is not good at -2 right now. With Italy's and Spain's goal differential both being zero right now the tie breaker would be tough for the Irish. Quite often in these competitions second place in the Group Stage are often determined by the tie-breaker ... the first tie-breaker being goal differential.

Not sure who I want to root for today :mellow:

Today's results:

In the first match Italy and Croatia drew 1 - 1. The match was a tale of two halves ... with Italy dominating the first half and leading 1 - 0 at the half and Croatia dominating the second half and scoring in the second half to secure the draw.

Just a note concerning the checkered Croatian uniforms ... I really hate them. The white and red checker board is a throughback to the Ustaše (pronounced Ustasha in English) flag. The Ustaše were a group of fasists that ran the Nazi puppet state in what is now Croatia, Bosnia and parts of Serbia during WWII. They were ruthlessly brutal and barbaric.

The second match saw Spain thrash Ireland 4 - 0. Fernando Torres, the Spanish whipping boy, scored two goals. This result eliminated the Irish from advancing.

Spain leads this group at the moment on goal differential (+4 to +2), as Croatia and Spain are tied with 4 points.

The Italians will definately need to beat the Irish in their final group match by at least two goals if they have any hope to advance. Their goal differential right now is zero.

In a winner take all match on Monday Spain and Croatia play the final match of the group stage. A draw and it is likely both will advance. If there is a winner and loser the winner will advance and there is a good chance that the loser will too.

This first matchup has been good but weird. I didn't realize they would call rain delays in soccer.

The goalies have been magnificent for both teams.

They can call a delay when the weather causes conditions that will dictate the outcome of the game. For example, if it rains so hard that the ball no longer can roll because of water puddles. Or the snow gets so deep that you can't see the ball etc. In the case today, I think the game got delayed for safety concerns because for the nearby lightning storms.

A few years back in a game in Africa lightning struck one of the corner flags and spread through the water on the pitch electrocuting several of the players.

They can call a delay when the weather causes conditions that will dictate the outcome of the game. For example, if it rains so hard that the ball no longer can roll because of water puddles. Or the snow gets so deep that you can't see the ball etc. In the case today, I think the game got delayed for safety concerns because for the nearby lightning storms.

A few years back in a game in Africa lightning struck one of the corner flags and spread through the water on the pitch electrocuting several of the players.

Well I guess that would be a pretty good reason haha

Archived