The Chanting Thread

I am Defecting

When I was watching Schony and the Sabres in the 70s, the "Ooh ah sabres on the Warpath" chant used to make me hoarse. but it was always done different than I've heard it now, and I blame it on the youtube video of fans doing it. It would always start out "OOOh (heavy empahsis)...... Ahhhh (Same)......SABres on the WAAAR Path" nice and slow, and then pick up sped like a speeding locomotive. the video on youtube is clearly when the chant is reached max velocity, but the awesome part was in the beginning when it was slower. It was awesome in the aud. The acoustics in that place just sucked terrible, and that chant was flat out deafenning at times.

I'd love to hear it done the old way.

Lead a section shouting match, one section shouting "Blue!" vs adjacent section shouting "Gold!" Raise alternating signs as cue cards.

Other shouting matches available: "Let's Go!"/"Buffalo!"; "Hard Work!"/"Great Skills!"

And you can always adapt from the greats. Repeat every line.

Everywhere we go-o

People want to know-o

Who we are-are

So we tell them.

We are the Sab-res

The mighty Buffalo Sabres

Ooh ahh, oh yeah

When I was watching Schony and the Sabres in the 70s, the "Ooh ah sabres on the Warpath" chant used to make me hoarse. but it was always done different than I've heard it now, and I blame it on the youtube video of fans doing it. It would always start out "OOOh (heavy empahsis)...... Ahhhh (Same)......SABres on the WAAAR Path" nice and slow, and then pick up sped like a speeding locomotive. the video on youtube is clearly when the chant is reached max velocity, but the awesome part was in the beginning when it was slower. It was awesome in the aud. The acoustics in that place just sucked terrible, and that chant was flat out deafenning at times.

I'd love to hear it done the old way.

This. Great post. I would never have known, and I went to games at the Aud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtS44mkEnEk

from the belgian footballclub i support, can borrow it :D

we're Malinwa (buffalo)

we're wonderfull

we're going crazy after every ###### goal

we're gonna win

we're gonna sing

supporting malinwa (buffalo) is everything

also a favourite : spandau ballet - gold

You are gold

Always believe in your soul

You got the power to know

you're indistructable

Always believe in

Great Stuff. In Germany we had several chants for the hockey team. One simple one was when the announcer announced a name, he would say the first name and the stadium would follow together and yell the last name.

I organize something we call "STAMPEDE". We go to Sabres' games in Ottawa and wear "Buffalo Heads", about 35 of us. We have a couple of chants.

"I say BLUE, you say GOLD ---- BLUE ----GOLD, BLUE ---- GOLD"

"I say MILLER, you say TIME ---- MILLER ---- TIME, MILLER ---- TIME"

"I say MAY, you say DAY ------ MAY ---- DAY, MAY ----- DAY"

"I say LALALALALALALALALALA (Then all together we yell) FONNNNTAINE!"

To organize any chants you need a group together in one section, all together. And if we could bring in a drum, well that would really help.

Great Stuff. In Germany we had several chants for the hockey team. One simple one was when the announcer announced a name, he would say the first name and the stadium would follow together and yell the last name.

I organize something we call "STAMPEDE". We go to Sabres' games in Ottawa and wear "Buffalo Heads", about 35 of us. We have a couple of chants.

To organize any chants you need a group together in one section, all together. And if we could bring in a drum, well that would really help.

That's pretty awesome. The Sens fans must love that as they halfheartedly clap their thundersticks together.

I actually really like that. Something new and something old all in one cheer.

"Let's Go Buffalo!" is our anthem, and there is nothing wrong with it. "Ooh, ahh, Sabres on the warpath!" is an oldie but a goodie. Maybe we could spice things up a little, though, with some individual player chants. This thread is only semi-serious. I rarely get to games, and I couldn't really imagine myself starting many chants, but hey... the broadcast from the FNC could use some filler noise sometimes.

Here's a dark-horse candidate, to the tune of Elton John's Bennie and the Jets. I'd imagine the chanter would finish his/her Labatt, stand up, face the crowd, take a deep breath, and kick the thing off with a "Yo! Six! Three!..

e-e-e-ennis is the best! (six) (three)

e-e-e-ennis is the best (six) (three) [breath]

Ennis! [breath]

Ennis! [breath]

Ennis! (six) (three)

e-e-e-ennis is the best. (six) (three) [repeat]

I get a kick out of that one. Crazy? I'm sure that many posters here could come up with better chants to better tunes, that would be more likely to catch on. It would be great, though, to get the center rockin' and rollin' with some new semi-original material. Easy formula: popular song + new sabre lyrics = potential new chant. Also, if there are any old chants that may have gone away over time, I'd love to learn about them.

And No, Elton John isn't my favorite artist, and I am not the head of the Tyler Ennis fanclub. ;)

Choruses of Deutschland Uber Alles

I have not been around for a long time but this is enough to bring me out of retirement ...

I could not feel more strongly about this ... PLEASE, do not let this happen in Buffalo. PLEASE. It may sound good in theory but they do all kinds of it here in Nashville and it is HORRIBLE. It's Romper Room with the kiddies who don't really know what is going on repeating what the teacher says because they do not know any better. There is nothing spontaneous about it, it's obviously forced and you actually lose touch with the game because it becomes its own little event. The team could be losing 4-1 with 4 minutes left but everyone is still saying their lines when they get a meaningless power play ... it's bush league. Yeah, Nashville is a getting a rep as a loud arena, and it is loud ... but that's more because the team is actually good and they fill it now. It's not because of they all know when to yell "YOU SUCK!!" at the other team and do "Fang Fingers" before the power play ... they did that when the building was half full too and it still reeks of "We're a minor-league team that needs gimmicks to get fans in here."

Call me a hockey snob, but the lack of this kind of thing is NOT why FNC got a reputation for being too quiet. It's that the fans have not been happy with the product on the ice. Keep fixing that and the noise will take care of itself.

I am still hoarse 24 hours later from basically trying to cheer the team on by myself for a good chunk of saturday's game. Way too quiet. And the crowd was exactly what the team needed to get out of the slow start they were having. Some sort of sustainable chant (anything with clapping is tough because of the time lag with distance, sorry "lets go buffalo!" lovers.) would be perfect for those long stretches between whistles.

I'm gonna need some tea...

I agree that it would be dull if the cheers were lead by the scoreboard, or by the mascot. Is that ala Nashville?

It's electric and intimidating, though, when the chant swells up from a section in the arena like some mystical force, hell bent on affecting the outcome of the game.

The one is sheepish, while the other is proud.

I agree that it would be dull if the cheers were lead by the scoreboard, or by the mascot. Is that ala Nashville?

It's not the scoreboard so much as this one section called Cell Block 303 (or some such section) ... and I can't think of a single thing they chant that is actually supportive of The Preds ... they all just end in yelling "YOU SUCK!" at the other team. (Wait, I take that back, they think it is funny that when the PA guy says it is the last minute of play in the period, they all yell "Thanks, Paul!" That's supportive. So there's that.)

I wish I was exaggerating ... when a penalty is called on the Preds, the guy announces it and then says "And the Red Wings go on the power play." And they all yell "BUT THEY STILL SUCK!!!" ... even after the Preds score, they play Rock and Roll Part II and instead of just yelling "HEY!" at the appropriate time, they yell "HEY, YOU SUCK!" I am all for getting on the other team but ... come on. They're down 5-1 and score with a minute left to make it 5-2? Here come the YOU SUCK chants ... it's weak.

OK, at the risk of pissing people off, here is what it feels like ... it feels like in college (I went to a Division II school with a really good team, but, you know, it's D-II) when the band at the football game had a bunch of silly songs and chants and taunts they HAD to do regardless of the situation of the game, winning or losing, makes sense or not, they all thought it was HILARIOUS ... they could not tell you who won the game but could also not get why it wasn't funny to anyone else when they played the Star Wars theme and made "Luke I am your father" jokes to taunt the other team's QB whose name was Luke ... because he had just thrown his 3rd TD pass against us and it was nothing to laugh about, you idiots.

It's NOT exactly that ... obviously the people doing this the most are the hard-core folks who spend a lot of money to go to games, and they DO care who wins ... it just FEELS wrong. I've been to lots of games in lots of places for lots of sports, and it's the most annoying atmosphere by far. Again, maybe I am being a hockey snob but I WANT to enjoy it, I love going to games, I want to take my kids to NHL games as much as I can ... but it's borderline intolerable.

(Wait, I take that back, they think it is funny that when the PA guy says it is the last minute of play in the period, they all yell "Thanks, Paul!" That's supportive. So there's that.)

At a Ranger game a few years ago, some guy at 1:02 left in the period would yell, "How much time is left?" "ONE MINUTE REMAINING IN THE FIRST PERIOD." Amusing.

gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

Don't use cuss words, don't cheer for your team when they're down, and stay off your lawn. Got it.

I went to a D-I school with a great hockey program. Many chants and songs were born of and continued by tradition. It wouldn't be a college student section without some (read: a lot) of impropriety.

If you're pissy because the chants aren't traditional or they're manufactured, remember it's Nashville (the franschise is relatively new around here).

If you're pissy because the chants aren't timely, remember it's Nashville (they've gotten used to supporting the underdog).

If you're pissy because the chants aren't very classy, remember it's Nashville (hee haw).

I'm glad Nashville still has fans that are into the game and interested in keeping their team in town. I hope a good playoff run cements that sentiment and that new great traditions are born from it.

At a Ranger game a few years ago, some guy at 1:02 left in the period would yell, "How much time is left?" "ONE MINUTE REMAINING IN THE FIRST PERIOD." Amusing.

Lynah Faithful asks the timekeeper, "hey Mr. Timekeeper, how much time is left?"

Kohl Center's Crease Creatures thank the timekeeper.

Don't use cuss words, don't cheer for your team when they're down, and stay off your lawn. Got it.

I went to a D-I school with a great hockey program. Many chants and songs were born of and continued by tradition. It wouldn't be a college student section without some (read: a lot) of impropriety.

If you're pissy because the chants aren't traditional or they're manufactured, remember it's Nashville (the franschise is relatively new around here).

If you're pissy because the chants aren't timely, remember it's Nashville (they've gotten used to supporting the underdog).

If you're pissy because the chants aren't very classy, remember it's Nashville (hee haw).

I'm glad Nashville still has fans that are into the game and interested in keeping their team in town. I hope a good playoff run cements that sentiment and that new great traditions are born from it.

No ... people can cuss all they want, and I would LOVE it if they actually cheered for their team. But they choose to spend more time telling the other team they suck ... which is again, would be fine if it was not scripted and seeminlgly out of habit rather than any real rivalry or animosity. If even ONE person had yelled "Buffalo sucks!" at me in the hallway because I was wearing a Sabres jersey when they were in town, I would LOVE that. I've been to Red Wings and Blackhawks games here with tons of opposing fans around and there's not even any good-natured banter .... because it's not part of the script. I could not care less about "classy" ... And sorry, but the team has been here more than 10 years, that's not so new.

Whatever the case, even if all those things are true about Nashville, the point was they should not be trying to manufacture this crap in a "cheering section" in BUFFALO. It IS a traditional hockey market, people are not going to be fooled into thinking it's still fun if the team isn't playing well.

I have not been around for a long time but this is enough to bring me out of retirement ...

I could not feel more strongly about this ... PLEASE, do not let this happen in Buffalo. PLEASE. It may sound good in theory but they do all kinds of it here in Nashville and it is HORRIBLE. It's Romper Room with the kiddies who don't really know what is going on repeating what the teacher says because they do not know any better. There is nothing spontaneous about it, it's obviously forced and you actually lose touch with the game because it becomes its own little event. The team could be losing 4-1 with 4 minutes left but everyone is still saying their lines when they get a meaningless power play ... it's bush league. Yeah, Nashville is a getting a rep as a loud arena, and it is loud ... but that's more because the team is actually good and they fill it now. It's not because of they all know when to yell "YOU SUCK!!" at the other team and do "Fang Fingers" before the power play ... they did that when the building was half full too and it still reeks of "We're a minor-league team that needs gimmicks to get fans in here."

Call me a hockey snob, but the lack of this kind of thing is NOT why FNC got a reputation for being too quiet. It's that the fans have not been happy with the product on the ice. Keep fixing that and the noise will take care of itself.

IF they brought back the Sabres on the Warpath chant the way it's supposed to be done - nice and slow and then building up - when it makes sense, i.e., getting a powerplay with a 1 goal lead looking to build on it; I'd be good with it.

Something that's done simply to be done, much like 'the wave,' should be nuked before it ever begins.

IF they brought back the Sabres on the Warpath chant the way it's supposed to be done - nice and slow and then building up - when it makes sense, i.e., getting a powerplay with a 1 goal lead looking to build on it; I'd be good with it.

Something that's done simply to be done, much like 'the wave,' should be nuked before it ever begins.

I'm surprised the wave even has a chance at the FNC considering the crowd's propensity to sit on its hands the whole game.

It's NOT exactly that ... obviously the people doing this the most are the hard-core folks who spend a lot of money to go to games, and they DO care who wins ... it just FEELS wrong. I've been to lots of games in lots of places for lots of sports, and it's the most annoying atmosphere by far. Again, maybe I am being a hockey snob but I WANT to enjoy it, I love going to games, I want to take my kids to NHL games as much as I can ... but it's borderline intolerable.

This cuts to the heart of it, for me. On the one side, there's pride, but if they're chanting "you suck," all the time, then there's nothing to be proud about. It's simply embarrassing. That's why we need really good chants, imo.

It's like choosing music that would appeal to all three sections (100, 200, and 300).

I'm surprised the wave even has a chance at the FNC considering the crowd's propensity to sit on its hands the whole game.

It's rare that they try to start one there, fortunately.

Loved what Seattle brought to the music scene, hated the coffee shop on every corner thing, and absolutely despised their sporting event innovation. Though it was fun back in grad school to get a counter wave going and have the 2 cancel out.

He's got a point but... how much of a total ###### do you have to be to be yelling during the moment of silence honoring the anniversary of Rick Martin's death? If I was sitting next to him or at least within arms reach I would have clocked him one. (yeah I know I wouldn't have hurt him but...)

Holy non-sequitor from H-E-double hockey sticks. Where in that person's post did you get that he was making noise during a moment of silence?

Or did you not mean to imply that the person did any such thing?

Do any of the folks on this site recall how Sabres on the warpath got started? Where it came from? Or one, two, three, four, we want five? Or any of the other chants?

My earliest memories of it go back to the early/mid 70s. At the time we perceived it as a a riff on the WNY Habs fans who used to chant it for their team. Shortly thereafter, it fell out of favor with the Habs fans but it kind of stuck for the Sabres...

Holy non-sequitor from H-E-double hockey sticks. Where in that person's post did you get that he was making noise during a moment of silence?

Or did you not mean to imply that the person did any such thing?

I simply connected the dots between that Sabres board, buffalo news comment section and GR comment section. The same person who's going on about how they said that during the Rick Martin tribute.

To do it is one thing, to brag about it is total D bag.

This chant best performed while dancing with maracas, to the tune of Copa Cabana.

Yeah, the Erhoff.

The Erhoff, Sulza

Its the best German dance since the Wultza. (chah, chah, chah)

Oh yeah the Erhoff

The Erhoff Sulta

Best German dance since the Wultza. (chah, chah, chah)

etc. ;)

It's not the scoreboard so much as this one section called Cell Block 303 (or some such section) ... and I can't think of a single thing they chant that is actually supportive of The Preds ... they all just end in yelling "YOU SUCK!" at the other team. (Wait, I take that back, they think it is funny that when the PA guy says it is the last minute of play in the period, they all yell "Thanks, Paul!" That's supportive. So there's that.)

I wish I was exaggerating ... when a penalty is called on the Preds, the guy announces it and then says "And the Red Wings go on the power play." And they all yell "BUT THEY STILL SUCK!!!" ... even after the Preds score, they play Rock and Roll Part II and instead of just yelling "HEY!" at the appropriate time, they yell "HEY, YOU SUCK!" I am all for getting on the other team but ... come on. They're down 5-1 and score with a minute left to make it 5-2? Here come the YOU SUCK chants ... it's weak.

OK, at the risk of pissing people off, here is what it feels like ... it feels like in college (I went to a Division II school with a really good team, but, you know, it's D-II) when the band at the football game had a bunch of silly songs and chants and taunts they HAD to do regardless of the situation of the game, winning or losing, makes sense or not, they all thought it was HILARIOUS ... they could not tell you who won the game but could also not get why it wasn't funny to anyone else when they played the Star Wars theme and made "Luke I am your father" jokes to taunt the other team's QB whose name was Luke ... because he had just thrown his 3rd TD pass against us and it was nothing to laugh about, you idiots.

One arena's bad chants should not eliminate our chance to do it right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd just like to see some noise. I'd LOVE to see the entire arena just start shouting a really loud drone whenever the opposing team has the puck in our end (or at least while we're on the PK). A LA Cameron Indoor Stadium, or a third down at the Ralph. Hockey is the same as football and basketball. It's a lot harder to execute your offense if its so loud you can't hear yourself think.

Cameron:

http://youtu.be/sNENYDQJcew

Archived