The Chanting Thread

I am Defecting

"Let's Go Buffalo!" is our anthem, and there is nothing wrong with it. "Ooh, ahh, Sabres on the warpath!" is an oldie but a goodie. Maybe we could spice things up a little, though, with some individual player chants. This thread is only semi-serious. I rarely get to games, and I couldn't really imagine myself starting many chants, but hey... the broadcast from the FNC could use some filler noise sometimes.

Here's a dark-horse candidate, to the tune of Elton John's Bennie and the Jets. I'd imagine the chanter would finish his/her Labatt, stand up, face the crowd, take a deep breath, and kick the thing off with a "Yo! Six! Three!..

e-e-e-ennis is the best! (six) (three)

e-e-e-ennis is the best (six) (three) [breath]

Ennis! [breath]

Ennis! [breath]

Ennis! (six) (three)

e-e-e-ennis is the best. (six) (three) [repeat]

I get a kick out of that one. Crazy? I'm sure that many posters here could come up with better chants to better tunes, that would be more likely to catch on. It would be great, though, to get the center rockin' and rollin' with some new semi-original material. Easy formula: popular song + new sabre lyrics = potential new chant. Also, if there are any old chants that may have gone away over time, I'd love to learn about them.

And No, Elton John isn't my favorite artist, and I am not the head of the Tyler Ennis fanclub. ;)

What a great topic, I am always jealous of listening to the English soccer clubs chanting and singing together, cheering for their favorite clube. Imagine watching the sabres on TV listening to thousands of people singing and chanting. It would definately be a tough place to play in for the away team. I am all for chanting.

"Cause its the Buffalooooooo Sabres!

The Greatest Hockey team the world has ever seen.

We are the army of.....

We are the army of.....

We are the army of Lindy Ruff ( fill in any name, but usually the head coach.)"

Generic Chant.

Take it for what it's worth, but...

http://fans.sabres.n...ssive-security/

He's got a point but... how much of a total ###### do you have to be to be yelling during the moment of silence honoring the anniversary of Rick Martin's death? If I was sitting next to him or at least within arms reach I would have clocked him one. (yeah I know I wouldn't have hurt him but...)

yea when i first read this i immediatly thought.... english soccer

if you were to go to one of these games and see the atmosphere there compared to here... the games here would suck.

I've been at some crazy buffalo games but none of them compare to the 2nd division soccer match i went to in england.

the dont play any music at these games because the fans are singing themselves.

It would be awesome to bring this atmoshere into FN Center

yea when i first read this i immediatly thought.... english soccer

if you were to go to one of these games and see the atmosphere there compared to here... the games here would suck.

I've been at some crazy buffalo games but none of them compare to the 2nd division soccer match i went to in england.

the dont play any music at these games because the fans are singing themselves.

It would be awesome to bring this atmoshere into FN Center

The atmosphere you speak of doesn't exist in any of the big 4 sports franchises in the US, not just the FNC. It is part of their culture. It is not part of ours. It is hard to change things like this. Period.

The atmosphere you speak of doesn't exist in any of the big 4 sports franchises in the US, not just the FNC. It is part of their culture. It is not part of ours. It is hard to change things like this. Period.

obviously it would be hard. and im not saying that the other leagues have this atmoshpere. but i could see a city like buffalo changing it.

obviously it would be hard. and im not saying that the other leagues have this atmoshpere. but i could see a city like buffalo changing it.

I'm not following you. What makes Buffalo such a likely city to adopt this practive versus anywhere else in the US?

from the belgian footballclub i support, can borrow it :D

we're Malinwa (buffalo)

we're wonderfull

we're going crazy after every ###### goal

we're gonna win

we're gonna sing

supporting malinwa (buffalo) is everything

also a favourite : spandau ballet - gold

You are gold

Always believe in your soul

You got the power to know

you're indistructable

Always believe in

It's too bad Sabretooth is mute - lately the only "Let's Go, Buffalo!" chants I hear seem to begin with Sabretooth banging his drum. I guess the Sabres may need cheerleaders... :w00t:

I always thought the "J - E - T - S, Jets!, Jets!, Jets!" chant really rocked. It would be easier to do this with the Bills (i.e., "B - I - L-L-S!, Go, Bills, GO!" or something like that). Doing one like this for the Sabres would be tougher. We need a guy with a fire helmet to kick it off, though...

Ted Black spoke of trying to accomplish this next year. He had hypothesized that perhaps it starts in the Student Surge section. RIT (and other schools) have chants that occur all the time for various things so it's not impossible to make happen.

The biggest challenge I think any club would have is the potential for variability in the crowd. The Sabres do have a significant season ticket holder base but judging by how many Leafs fans make it into a game I can see that many people sell those tickets off in hopes of offsetting the costs. This inhibits the crowd familiarity a bit.

Another problem is that the club itself doesn't want to come up with the chants. It needs to be organic and from the crowd. So the Sabres could potentially post the chants on their website but I think the crowd needs to come up with them first. This isn't easy of course because in order to gain popularity you need to get some traction. Getting it at a game itself is tough so you almost need another medium to get it across. I would suggest WGR550 for that... along with websites, etc.

The problem is that all the boring people who go to these games don't want to cheer anyway. Creating new cheers doesn't change that variable.

Righto - the Sabres have perfectly good chants already but the fans have to be willing to chant them.

Righto - the Sabres have perfectly good chants already but the fans have to be willing to chant them.

I'm willing to tell my story of the Winnipeg game I went to this season. Sitting only a few rows up from Enroth, I was the only one in my section who would cheer. And it was a GOOD GAME.

Start of overtime and the small contingent of Jets fans in the next section is yelling Go Jets Go, and I was the ONLY one who chanted Let's Go Buffalo back at them. I turned around to the rest of the section and posed the question "Why are you even here?!" to a sea of blank stares.

I might as well have been trying to lead cows in a rendition of The Battle of New Orleans. :wallbash:

Archived