GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning 3/19/12

FolignosJock

So the Sabres are now 7-2-2 with Hodgson in the lineup while the Canucks are now 3-5-1 with Kassian. If not for the collapse against Col they'd be 8-2-1.

Both players have 2 pts. CH has pts in a win while ZK has his in a loss.

Just sayin :)

I know that was not their best roster, but did the Bolts ever mail that one in tonight.

And with the playoffs still a slim chance, against a team they were chasing.

Must be a field day for their team storm cloud.

Tyler Ennis is everyones pick for the best forward in the past month.

But the second best is clearly Drew Stafford.

Loving me some Foligno. Hard to the net, stick on the ice. Simple hockey works.

He's already passed Kassian in goals.

And only one behind Gerbe, Leino, and Boyes.

After watching the replay of the big Tropp hit did Danny really say "ohhhh, does he come into his face!"?

I hope so. After a long weekend watching good ball movement and deep penetration during March Madness, that seems like a fitting end.

Foligno right now looks like the player everyone hoped Kassian would be. Hodgson finally gets on the scoresheet in a good way and good for him. Hopefully it'll give him a little confidence to have that pressure off. Tampa looked terrible and their goaltending looked downright gawdawful. Nice to see a game where we didn't have to go to a shootout. Great win.

How's Hodgson tonight ?

He must have taken a nap.

Congrats to the kid, it took great plays by Pominville and Vanek, but he finally go off of the snide.

Foligno right now looks like the player everyone hoped Kassian would be. Hodgson finally gets on the scoresheet in a good way and good for him. Hopefully it'll give him a little confidence to have that pressure off. Tampa looked terrible and their goaltending looked downright gawdawful. Nice to see a game where we didn't have to go to a shootout. Great win.

Again, nothing in the rules stating you can't have two.

Where is all the love for Drew Stafford? 2 goals and 9 points over his last four games? Ennis, Foligno and Stafford are as hot as Adam, Pominville and Vanek were earlier in the year.

Congrats to the kid, it took great plays by Pominville and Vanek, but he finally go off of the snide.

Where is all the love for Drew Stafford? 2 goals and 9 points over his last four games? Ennis, Foligno and Stafford are as hot as Adam, Pominville and Vanek were earlier in the year.

Stafford's play in the last week was largely responsible for knocking me out of my other fantasy team playoffs. SOG, +/-, A and Gs over last two week have been impressive.

Great game, but the Washington win against Detroit sucks.

Dammit, if only Lidstrom hadn't been injured - that's a huge loss to the Red Wings and really explains the Caps win.

Sabres got 4 out of 6 points while Tyler Myers was suspended. That's not too shabby, and could have been a lot worse. Gonna be rooting for Philly on Thursday night for sure.

[]

I know that was not their best roster, but did the Bolts ever mail that one in tonight.

Tyler Ennis is everyones pick for the best forward in the past month.

But the second best is clearly Drew Stafford.

Loving me some Foligno. Hard to the net, stick on the ice. Simple hockey works.

He's already passed Kassian in goals.

And only one behind Gerbe, Leino, and Boyes.

You are assuming the bolts actually have fans. Judging by the amount of blue and gold in the crowd last night, that assumption is not well supported.

Yes and yes to Foligno, but please people, temper your expectations. He doesn't suck if he fails to maintain a goal a game pace for the rest of his career. but somehow it will be Ruff's fault when he falls back to earth.

No, it took wngers capable of finishing the beautiful dishes he has been handing out since he got here.

They were speculating on the FAN590 yesterday that Boucher is on the hot seat, and if fired, his likely landing spot would be with Montreal.

[]

You are assuming the bolts actually have fans. Judging by the amount of blue and gold in the crowd last night, that assumption is not well supported.

Yes and yes to Foligno, but please people, temper your expectations. He doesn't suck if he fails to maintain a goal a game pace for the rest of his career. but somehow it will be Ruff's fault when he falls back to earth.

No, it took wngers capable of finishing the beautiful dishes he has been handing out since he got here.

There hasn't been such a deft passer wearing the Blue & Gold since Normand Lacombe. :w00t:

Actually, I was thinking the Foligno is the kind of player we hoped HE would be. I always pictured Kassian as more of a Kaleta-type player, but with more size, more intimidating than annoying and could score a few more goals. So far in Vancouver, Kassian has proved he can hit, and he has scored a bit but Foligno looks like the real deal. He made some excellent defensive plays in the last few games, is always strong on the puck and is big enough that no one has really tried to mess with him (so far). Unless he has a sudden regression, I think Marcus has seen the last of the AHL. Now, if we could only find 6 or 7 more like him... (With the extra draft picks Buffalo has, anyone think we could pry Nick Foligno out of Ottawa around draft time? OK, just a pipe dream, but boy would that be great!).

Actually, I was thinking the Foligno is the kind of player we hoped HE would be. I always pictured Kassian as more of a Kaleta-type player, but with more size, more intimidating than annoying and could score a few more goals. So far in Vancouver, Kassian has proved he can hit, and he has scored a bit but Foligno looks like the real deal. He made some excellent defensive plays in the last few games, is always strong on the puck and is big enough that no one has really tried to mess with him (so far). Unless he has a sudden regression, I think Marcus has seen the last of the AHL. Now, if we could only find 6 or 7 more like him... (With the extra draft picks Buffalo has, anyone think we could pry Nick Foligno out of Ottawa around draft time? OK, just a pipe dream, but boy would that be great!).

Well, the bad news is that young players do tend to regress; there's an ebb and flow to a hockey player's development. Myers has been all over the place in the last three years. Ennis has ranged from superstar to "bad version of Afinogenov." Adam started the year averaging about 2 points/game and now he's back in Rochester. In 2007-2008, Dan Paille scored 19 goals for us. So who knows how it all turns out?

The good news is that Marcus Foligno has played awesome every game since his second call up and you have to love that.

As for the summer/draft, the Sabres have a ton of options. The team has needs and some players that should be moved. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just used all their draft picks to replenish the farm.

We all know how it plays out with Stafford. He's putting up numbers now but based on past history he'll give you absolutely nothing for loooooong stretches and it'll drive you crazy so you take it with a grain of salt. But you knew that.

We all know how it plays out with (insert player here). He's putting up numbers now but based on past history he'll give you absolutely nothing for loooooong stretches and it'll drive you crazy so you take it with a grain of salt. But you knew that.

Just saying you can pretty much put any person in that spot with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 players.

Archived