Agree to disagree, for now.

deluca67

That is the problem. I have posted for 5 years what the same problems are, and my solutions to them. Everyone gets sick of hearing them, yet the Sabres fail to make any of the changes I suggest and are stuck in mediocrity at best. You get tired of playing the "what needs to be done" game when it is obvious the same decision makers are in place and those changes won't be made. People are sick of hearing what I say to begin with.

Pretty much sums up why I have so few posts this season - I have nothing new to offer, seeing as nothing has changed.

Just can't be bothered making the same argument that I've made since.... Well, since Hasek left.

What happens on the ice won't change a damn thing regardless what I say or do, but what the optimists have to say won't change a damn thing either, so I guess we're all back to square one :

Being fans, who so very obviously disagree.

The whole thing can be summed up with these two excerpts from your post.

The team plays well and you disappear. You only post when they struggle. You enjoy ruffling feathers.

Yes, the team has played well.

But they very often do so, late in the season, with ground to make up.

Can you really blame some people for feeling like they're watching a repeat of seasons past?

Everyone enjoys it when the team plays well. Nobody WANTS them to fail, we all want the team to succeed.

It's just that we've seen this movie before, and so far the ending is the same every time - Missing the playoffs, or get bounced in the first round.

That's why I don't allow myself to get caught up in a run such as the recent one, but make no mistake - I want nothing more than the Sabres to shove every negative word I've ever written about them right down my throat, and laugh in my face doing it.

I suspect others feel the exact same way.

Yes, the team has played well.

But they very often do so, late in the season, with ground to make up.

Can you really blame some people for feeling like they're watching a repeat of seasons past?

Everyone enjoys it when the team plays well. Nobody WANTS them to fail, we all want the team to succeed.

It's just that we've seen this movie before, and so far the ending is the same every time - Missing the playoffs, or get bounced in the first round.

That's why I don't allow myself to get caught up in a run such as the recent one, but make no mistake - I want nothing more than the Sabres to shove every negative word I've ever written about them right down my throat, and laugh in my face doing it.

I suspect others feel the exact same way.

This is where we differ. Who cares if you think you know how it ends? I've seen the movie Gladiator probably 20 times, I know for sure how it ends. I still want to see Maximus ride into Rome with his army and kick Commodus down the streets with impunity. I know it won't happen, but I still love watching the movie, still feel the tension in the sequence where Maximus is trying to escape to go get his army. I KNOW how it ends, and I still let myself get caught up....because it's entertainment.

Hockey is just another form of entertainment, only here, people only think they know what's going to happen--there's always a chance of surprise, even if it is small. Is the Sabres' run this year LIKE last year? Yes. But it ISN'T last year. There is no law of sports where if a team disappoints one year, they have to every year from that point on. Are the odds in the Sabres' favor? No, of course not, and part of the reasoning is what happened the last few years. But it wasn't too long ago that the Flyers got in the last game of the season in a shootout and almost won the Cup, the Red Sox were down 3-0 in the ALCS only to win 4 in a row over the Yankees and go on to win the World Series, the Giants backed into the playoffs and went on an amazing run ultimately defeating the 18-0 Patriots in the Super Bowl, Jaroslav Halak got inexplicably hot and carried the Habs past the Capitals in round 1.

These things happen. Suspense of disbelief is why most things that are entertaining, are in fact entertaining. If you can't let go and enjoy the ride of your sports teams, how can you enjoy a movie or a videogame which are 100% fake and with predetermined outcomes? Sometimes you just have to let go, and roll with it. Will it be bitterly disappointing if the Sabres miss the playoffs at the end, or get bounced in the 1st round? Yes, but that will go away in a few days as life moves on. And if that happens, at least I know I had 2 months of solid enjoyment because I didn't concern myself with "what if it's just like last year?!?!?!". I'll take 2 months of an awesome ride and a few days of disappointment and sadness over 2 months of a mediocre ride and saying "I told ya so" at the end.

Wasn't aimed at you (or really anyone) in particular. Just a quote that I thought was appropriate for this thread.

I'm going to miss House. I know the show has run its course, but he's seriously one of the best characters in any show or movie ever made.

I'm going to miss House. I know the show has run its course, but he's seriously one of the best characters in any show or movie ever made.

And if you want to talk formulaic, that's exactly what that show is. Every single episode is the same exact thing, but Hugh Laurie is just so damn good at what he does.

This is where we differ. Who cares if you think you know how it ends? I've seen the movie Gladiator probably 20 times, I know for sure how it ends. I still want to see Maximus ride into Rome with his army and kick Commodus down the streets with impunity. I know it won't happen, but I still love watching the movie, still feel the tension in the sequence where Maximus is trying to escape to go get his army. I KNOW how it ends, and I still let myself get caught up....because it's entertainment.

I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Wasn't aimed at you (or really anyone) in particular. Just a quote that I thought was appropriate for this thread.

Right, sorry for misunderstanding.

I care if I know how it ends, and I want it to change.

Why shouldn't you deal with it, just like I deal with anyone who has their opinion on how things might or might not turn out?

You're right, that is where we differ.

We differ in the perception that the Sabres current season, or any recent season besides the 09-10 - Miller's career year - , and the two lockout years, holds a candle to the movie Gladiator.

Gladiator is an enjoyable movie, from start to finish.

I, personally, do not find seeing my goalie run through a wall without anyone giving a crap, or losing 12 road games straight with one lazy lacklustre performance after another, enjoyable in any way. To me, that is not entertainment, that's wasting my money's worth.

Why shouldn't you deal with it, just like I deal with anyone who has their opinion on how things might or might not turn out?

We differ in the perception that the Sabres current season, or any recent season besides the 09-10 - Miller's career year - , and the two lockout years, holds a candle to the movie Gladiator.

I, personally, do not find seeing my goalie run through a wall without anyone giving a crap, or losing 12 road games straight with one lazy lacklustre performance after another, enjoyable in any way. To me, that is not entertainment, that's wasting my money's worth.

So it's all about money to you? Value on the dollar is what is important?

So it's all about money to you? Value on the dollar is what is important?

No, it's about being entertained, and if we were all that entertained by movies we've seen a hundred times, then why would Hollywood ever shoot another?

I said I didn't find it enjoyable to watch Miller get run, or losing an obscene amount of road games in a row. If you had to spend money on something you didn't find enjoyable, wouldn't you call that a waste of money?

No, it's about being entertained, and if we were all that entertained by movies we've seen a hundred times, then why would Hollywood ever shoot another?

I said I didn't find it enjoyable to watch Miller get run, or losing an obscene amount of road games in a row. If you had to spend money on something you didn't find enjoyable, wouldn't you call that a waste of money?

Sure. But take the season as a whole. Don't just pick out the negative pieces because they fit your argument. This season could come down to the very last game. I don't think a regular season finish gets more entertaining than that.

Sure. But take the season as a whole. Don't just pick out the negative pieces because they fit your argument. This season could come down to the very last game. I don't think a regular season finish gets more entertaining than that.

I'm not.

In fact, I'm referring to how this team has a habit of putting themselves in a bad spot early, then come roaring back with some great play down the stretch and either make the playoffs by the skin of their noses, or not.

Miller getting run with absolutely no response is something we've seen before too.

If that fits my argument, maybe it's because there's a case to be argued?

I'm not.

In fact, I'm referring to how this team has a habit of putting themselves in a bad spot early, then come roaring back with some great play down the stretch and either make the playoffs by the skin of their noses, or not.

Miller getting run with absolutely no response is something we've seen before too.

If that fits my argument, maybe it's because there's a case to be argued?

I'm not saying there isn't. I agree with you that those issues are a problem and did a lot to kill this Sabres season. But is it not also reasonable that they learned from it and grew as a team? Or that injuries really were a problem, as we're seeing now with Myers and Ehrhoff out again?

This isn't the same team that stood by and watched Miller get rocked. The big wimp himself Paul Gaustad is gone, which I think was half the battle right there. Is this team not tougher without him?

I'm not saying there isn't. I agree with you that those issues are a problem and did a lot to kill this Sabres season. But is it not also reasonable that they learned from it and grew as a team? Or that injuries really were a problem, as we're seeing now with Myers and Ehrhoff out again?

This isn't the same team that stood by and watched Miller get rocked. The big wimp himself Paul Gaustad is gone, which I think was half the battle right there. Is this team not tougher without him?

Like I said, I certainly hope they prove me wrong and ram every word I wrote about them back down my throat.

Or to put it differently - There's always that chance.

However, just like I've seen the Sabres finish strong before, I've also had that exact same thought before - That'd they had in fact turned a corner.

Only they hadn't.

Have they now? Remains to be seen,

Like I said, I certainly hope they prove me wrong and ram every word I wrote about them back down my throat.

However, just like I've seen the Sabres finish strong before, I've also had that exact same thought before - That'd they had in fact turned a corner.

Only they hadn't.

Right, so why automatically jump on the pessimistic side? Is it just easier?

Only they hadn't.

That's what keeps us comming back.

You entirely missed what I was saying. You don't know how the season will turn out, you just have your opinion on how it will. Is it really so hard to just enjoy the ride of the last couple months and worry about disappointment if/when it actually happens? How many movies are there where you enjoy every single scene, every single actor? How many shows are there where every episode is equally fantastic? Professional sports are entertainment, and just because there's times where they aren't entertaining doesn't mean I'm going to purposefully make the entertaining portions less entertaining by constantly focusing on worst case scenario. I just fundamentally do not understand the choice to take in a certain kind of entertainment if you cannot or will not enjoy the good times simply because of the bad times that have happened. Why bother at that point?

Right, so why automatically jump on the pessimistic side? Is it just easier?

Like I said, I've seen the Sabres do this exact same thing too many times before.

Start out ok, start slumping in November, sucking all through December and early January, only to turn it on after the all.star break, and it either ended in missing the playoffs or a first-round exit.

I'm pessimistic because only because I've seen nothing change,..... Yet.

Like I said, I've seen the Sabres do this exact same thing too many times before.

Start out ok, start slumping in November, sucking all through December and early January, only to turn it on after the all.star break, and it either ended in missing the playoffs or a first-round exit.

I'm pessimistic because only because I've seen nothing change,..... Yet.

So essentially you default to pessimism because you can't put the past behind you?

So essentially you default to pessimism because you can't put the past behind you?

No, I said I was pessimistic because I've seen this movie before, and so far there is nothing new about the Sabres playing great hockey late in the season, trying to catch the 8th seed.

You entirely missed what I was saying. You don't know how the season will turn out, you just have your opinion on how it will. Is it really so hard to just enjoy the ride of the last couple months and worry about disappointment if/when it actually happens? How many movies are there where you enjoy every single scene, every single actor? How many shows are there where every episode is equally fantastic? Professional sports are entertainment, and just because there's times where they aren't entertaining doesn't mean I'm going to purposefully make the entertaining portions less entertaining by constantly focusing on worst case scenario. I just fundamentally do not understand the choice to take in a certain kind of entertainment if you cannot or will not enjoy the good times simply because of the bad times that have happened. Why bother at that point?

No, I said history more than suggests how the season will end, hence I'm not very optimistic about it.

No, I said I was pessimistic because I've seen this movie before, and so far there is nothing new about the Sabres playing great hockey late in the season, trying to catch the 8th seed.

No, I said history more than suggests how the season will end, hence I'm not very optimistic about it.

Come on man, this isn't Germany trying to take over the world again, this is just a hockey team. What's so dangerous about forgetting what history says and enjoying the moment?

Archived