Has your opinion of Darcy changed?

fiftyone

Here goes:

After Detroit pulls out from the Gaustad for a first trade.

1:30 phone call Nucks want Kassian.

1:31 DR says we want a first back

1:32 Nucks say how about Hodgson, he was a first round pick

1:35 DR says he's more money can't take him We need to shed payroll

1:45 Nucks say how about we even it up and trade some AHL 2 way payroll

2:01 DR says okay Grags for Seltzer

2:02 Both teams think they win.

Wait a minute...the Canucks would have rather parted with Hodgson instead of a late first round pick?

Could they have added Kassian without moving Hodgson?

they just put Ballard on LTIR and had almost $4 mil to play with....not sure what the other deals did but if you have a "potential #1 center that is the hardest position to find in the league".....and it is your idea to give that up because you think he's worth less than the last pick in the 1st round......red flag?

Huh? Who? What?

16 of 30 teams in the NHL make the playoffs and 8 will win a series

12 of 32 teams in the NFL make the playoffs and 8 will win a game if you count the bye as "winning".

The odds of winning either ONCE IN THE PLAYOFFS is the same.

However 53.3% of NHL teams make the playoffs with a chance to win a series.

Only 37.5% of NFL teams have the same chance.

If you equate needing to win 4 NHL games to advance a round to winning 1 NFL game to advance a round, sure. On any given Sunday....blah blah blah. It's significantly easier to win ONE game to advance, than to win four. If you get a bunch of good bounces and favorable calls against a better team in the NFL, congratulations, you're probably in the second round. If you get a bunch of good bounces and favorable calls against a better team in the NHL, congratulations, now do it 3 more times. Far fewer upsets happen in the NHL for this exact reason, whereas upsets in the NFL playoffs are commonplace. You're using statistics to compare the incomparable. If you insist on using statistics to compare them, it is possible, but you're doing it wrong since it takes 4 wins to advance in the NHL, versus 1 for the NHL.

Edit: And yes, I'm too lazy to actually run a hypothetical probability. But if two evenly matched NFL teams play, the chances of winning and therefore advancing are 50%. It's less than that in the NHL, and the difference only gets worse when the teams are not perfectly evenly matched.

Could they have added Kassian without moving Hodgson?

According to Capgeek they have just a hair over $1M cap space now so he would've fit but there would be no breathing room. Also, I count 51 contracts for Van. I thought the limit was 50?

This is a GREAT thread, btw. I don't follow football, but my impression of Gailey and Nix is closely described by GoDD. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling with those guys, and the players who talk with the WGR hosts always seem very down to earth. Depending on the chatter closer to the season opener, I may actually give the Bills a little attention.

The contrast with the Sabres is exceptional. Regier just seems so opposite Gailey and Nix in character. Ruff seems to have about one third the passion (but has way more character than Regier). The off season for both teams this year is uncannily important.

Oh, I agree. But they want Kassian to open up room for Kesler long term and have a hybrid energy/scoring line. I firmly believe this was their thinking. Almost along the lines of the old Islanders where you had a guy like Clark Gillies mixing in with Bossy and Trottier.

This year I don't know how much he will have an impact, but they are in such good shape he has 20 games to get his feet under him for before the playoffs. A little bit of confidence and he could be a factor for them. I think this is the perfect situation for him to springboard his career fast.

Not to tangent the whole riveting convo here, but GoDD, is that avatar pic the Intrepid? My dad served on that one after Korea.

This is a GREAT thread, btw. I don't follow football, but my impression of Gailey and Nix is closely described by GoDD. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling with those guys, and the players who talk with the WGR hosts always seem very down to earth. Depending on the chatter closer to the season opener, I may actually give the Bills a little attention.

The contrast with the Sabres is exceptional. Regier just seems so opposite Gailey and Nix in character. Ruff seems to have about one third the passion (but has way more character than Regier). The off season for both teams this year is uncannily important.

I like Gaily and Nix, don't love them. Gailey makes as many questionable decisions as Ruff. Nix is harder to judge draft-wise because of the timeline, and yes, I think his hands are tied by ownership with respect to free agent signings but the overall returns are no better than Regier. He gives a hell of a press conference though.

they just put Ballard on LTIR and had almost $4 mil to play with....not sure what the other deals did but if you have a "potential #1 center that is the hardest position to find in the league".....and it is your idea to give that up because you think he's worth less than the last pick in the 1st round......red flag?

Perhaps Regier was posturing?

Here goes:

If this is true, what is more concerning is that Vancouver would rather give up Hodgson than the projected 27th-30th pick in the draft.

Whuzzup wit dat?

Chz -- is your rendition of events a theory or is it what you believe to be the facts based on credible information? If the latter, then GoDD raises a very valid and disturbing question.

Chz -- is your rendition of events a theory or is it what you believe to be the facts based on credible information? If the latter, then GoDD raises a very valid and disturbing question.

I am sure chz will gladly correct me if I am wrong but I count 51 contracts for Van on capgeek. I thought the limit was 50. They may have been up against the limit for contracts and had to do it with a contract player move.

I am sure chz will gladly correct me if I am wrong but I count 51 contracts for Van on capgeek. I thought the limit was 50. They may have been up against the limit for contracts and had to do it with a contract player move.

Maybe it's related to being able to carry more than 23 players on the roster after the deadline.

Nevermind, just looked it up and my theory is a bust.

Sure...instead of waiving a scrub in the AHL, we'll just trade away "our potential #1 center which is the toughest skater to find"....instead of the 28th pick in the draft who has a 1/3 shot of being in the NHL in 4 years.

Come'on Weave.....I know you like the trade I am assuming, but you got some of the best stuff between the ears of anyone here.

Considering she had detailed information about a potential Roy trade.....I take her word on it.

Sure...instead of waiving a scrub in the AHL, we'll just trade away "our potential #1 center which is the toughest skater to find"....instead of the 28th pick in the draft who has a 1/3 shot of being in the NHL in 4 years.

Come'on Weave.....I know you like the trade I am assuming, but you got some of the best stuff between the ears of anyone here.

I ain't thet smurt. I just voice my opinions with enough authority to make it look that way. :D

I am assuming that "we need a first rounder" was a quick and dirty generalization by chz and isn't meant to be taken literally. Your mileage may vary.

Not to tangent the whole riveting convo here, but GoDD, is that avatar pic the Intrepid? My dad served on that one after Korea.

It's the George Washington.

I've got a soft spot for our Navy boys. (ok....feel free to make a joke)

I ain't thet smurt. I just voice my opinions with enough authority to make it look that way. :D

I am assuming that "we need a first rounder" was a quick and dirty generalization by chz and isn't meant to be taken literally. Your mileage may vary.

She was pretty detailed about the Roy scenario.

And....u funny!

It's the George Washington.

I've got a soft spot for our Navy boys. (ok....feel free to make a joke)

You sure it's not the opposite? smiley-drumroll.gif

Had to. Sorry. I have nothing against opposites.

She was pretty detailed about the Roy scenario.

And....u funny!

She described the Kassian trade in a series of one phrase comments. Taking it literally seems well...... strained.

If she meant it literally I am sure she will chime in and say so at some point and I'll have to reconsider.

If this is true, what is more concerning is that Vancouver would rather give up Hodgson than the projected 27th-30th pick in the draft.

Whuzzup wit dat?

Apparently they had to move him. Reports are that he wanted out. Gillis never denied this and the way he answered the question imo left more questions than answers.

Here goes:

Darcy just said the discussions were going on for days before the deadline.

Apparently they had to move him. Reports are that he wanted out. Gillis never denied this and the way he answered the question imo left more questions than answers.

I'm too lazy to track down all of the links, but it's all over twitter that he did NOT ask for a trade. His agent flat denies even asking about his role in Vancouver (not that I'd expect his agent to say anything else). I really just feel like the Canucks wanted Kassian, and Hodgson is what it took to get the deal done.

If we want to talk rumors, how about this one: http://www.shaheed-devji.com/other/farhansite/?p=374

This can obviously be taken two ways: the Canucks were bigger on Kassian than Perry (which I find....shall we say, unlikely). Then there's the other way of looking at it, where Anaheim was willing to part with the reigning Hart winner for Hodgson as the centerpiece of a deal. Or it's complete BS. Interesting nonetheless.

Those reports have been denied by everyone but Gillis, and Gillis hasn't said that was the case - he just has declined to say anything. He could be saying nothing to lend credence to the story and cover for what has been a pretty unpopular move with the fans.

Huh? Who? What?

16 of 30 teams in the NHL make the playoffs and 8 will win a series

12 of 32 teams in the NFL make the playoffs and 8 will win a game if you count the bye as "winning".

The odds of winning either ONCE IN THE PLAYOFFS is the same.

However 53.3% of NHL teams make the playoffs with a chance to win a series.

Only 37.5% of NFL teams have the same chance.

You are smart enough to know you didn't factor in all variables. At least I htought you were.

Here goes:

Problem with this is that Vancouver decided on Saturday to move Hodgson in an attempt to acquire some grit and started dicussions then as well as the fact that after Gaustad was traded they didn't need to shed any payroll.

Archived