Has your opinion of Darcy changed?

fiftyone

Not going to argue with point 1, other than to say walking away from Dumont was probably not entirely Regier's decision.

On point 2, Stafford and Bernier are awful examples. Bernier did what before he got here and after he left? Guy was a bum. And isn't Stafford one of our team leaders in hits? Worthless stat, team of soft forwards yes, but still he's a completely heartless player and still finishes checks more than others.

On point 3, ah yes, the Lucic incident. That was a complete failure of the team that I find hard to attribute to Ruff's coaching. Remember his response to the hit on Drury? Look at last night, listen to what he said after the game. On the point about positional hockey, I completely agree, he values sound positioning and playing the game intelligently over the big hit.

My question is, at what point are the players on the ice responsible for knowing how to play the game they've been playing since they were children? Is it really, really that hard to know how to read a play and know if a hit is the smart play? If our players don't hit because they're being taught sound positional hockey, then they have the hockey smarts of a thimble. When your franchise goaltender gets bowled over, you argument is that Ruff's positional emphasis mentally prevented the team from defending him? Seriously? Kaleta made a huge run at a guy last night and missed and almost sailed completely into the Anaheim bench. Did Ruff berate him, bench him, or anything? Nope. You mention Gaustad finally playing the way he used to....it really took him until age 30 to figure out how to play that way while also being a legitimate NHL player? Or is the argument that Ruff told him to stop caring about positioning? Seeing as he was playing a checking line role, I find that hard to believe. Gerbe finishes his checks, Ennis finishes his checks, Tropp finishes his checks.

We should probably just agree to disagree at this point. You think Ruff's entire style stifles physicality, and I think the players are largely just a bunch of creampuffs who don't want to hit (because the guys who are legitimately tough....do hit, and don't get punished for it).

Edit: I should add that I agree Ruff and Regier are far from an ideal tandem. I'm on the record numerous times here saying they're too similar and value too much of the same thing, which is why they struggle to assemble a balanced roster more often than not.

I think Darcy did well with limited means over the years and after Mr Pegula bought the team I really liked the guys he brought in during the off season (although I was really hoping to land Bieksa). I think he did a great job of fleeceing Nashville for Goose and I think Hodgson will be better for and more valuable to Bflo than Kassian would be.

I really like his deadline moves. Sometimes he swings and misses, but at least he's at the plate swinging away. I have always liked Darcy - and I still do.

I know, crazy, right?

Archived