Has your opinion of Darcy changed?

fiftyone

Just wondering if the "what have you done for me lately" phenomenon is making rounds around here. Considering the general attitude towards Darcy leading up to the deadline, have any of your minds' changed (assuming that the Sabres are done now and nothing still has to be finished up) now that the day is over?

Personally I try not to get too high or too low about anything, but I'm pretty happy as a Sabres fan right now. I think Darcy proved a lot of people wrong getting a first round pick for two months of a 4th line center. Of course there is a chance that Nashville could re-sign him, and the Sabres gave up the 4th, but I'm still more than satisfied. Many people didn't think the Sabres could have gotten more than a 2nd for Roy, let alone Gaustad.

Also, it's hard for me to actually look at the Sabres as "sellers" today. I would go as far as saying I think they're now better equipped to make a run at the playoffs this year (not that that is necessarily a high priority) than they were earlier today. To be in that position after also adding a first round pick in the upcoming draft is pretty surprising and equally encouraging.

What do you think?

After today, I think it safe to say that Darcy knows how to negotiate. Regardless of what some pinheads may think, we stole Hodgson from the Canucks. Kassian showed little progress this year and can be easily replaced. And getting a FIRST rounder for Gaustad is just ridiculous.

I think Darcy can and will field a championship caliber team. Ruff should be on a much shorter leash, IMO.

I'm pretty patient with the front office; I've never really given up on Darcy. I believe the man got what he wanted at the trade deadline last year, on July 1st, and the trade deadline this year. It turns out some of those moves were great (Regher, Goose), some were ok (Ehrhoff), and some sucked (Leino, Boyes). You can't win every battle, even (especially?) in the front office, but the man is capable.

I like the moves today.

Gone:

30 games of Goose

30 games of Marc Andre Gragnani (love this)

Zack Kassian

4th round pick

Get:

Cody Hodgson (like this)

1st round pick (love this)

Alex Sulzer

Time will tell. If Hodgson is as good as the hate mail from Vancouver is suggesting, DR could look brilliant. If Kassian transcends into a Lucic and Hodgson goes Leino on us, he'll look pretty stupid.

I'll also be the first to jump on Darcy if these are the only moves he makes before next season. I expect more from him over the summer. A lot more.

I agree. We just might see more, too, with those four big cards he's holding.

After today, I think it safe to say that Darcy knows how to negotiate. Regardless of what some pinheads may think, we stole Hodgson from the Canucks. Kassian showed little progress this year and can be easily replaced. And getting a FIRST rounder for Gaustad is just ridiculous.

I think Darcy can and will field a championship caliber team. Ruff should be on a much shorter leash, IMO.

I think he knows how to negotiate with other teams. I can't think of too many deals that turned out badly, and of course, we never will know about the deals not made. We did see shades of "Old Darcy" today, though, and that was good.

Now, as far as negotiating with his own players is concerned, that seems to be a weakness.

Three common ideas around here really need to be revisited:

1. Darcy does not take risks

2. Darcy overvalues his own players

3. Darcy waits too long to do things

There are obvious question marks for each, but the Hodgson-Kassian deal clearly contradicts ideas 1,2. Waiting on Guastad looks to be pure brillance right now. If he does stick around, hopefully there is more of this to come.

There are obvious question marks for each, but the Hodgson-Kassian deal clearly contradicts ideas 1,2. Waiting on Guastad looks to be pure brillance right now. If he does stick around, hopefully there is more of this to come.

I think Darcy did a nice job today, but at the same time it's difficult to honestly evaluate some of these nuances without knowing all the facts, not the least of which is knowing what deals were available (today and historically) that weren't made, etc.

All we're left with is seeing what actually did get done (or didn't get done, e.g. players we lost) and - ultimately - what his teams have accomplished.

personally, i feel this cody/kassian deal looks like a mirror image of briere/gratton from 9 years ago. sure, time will tell, but if only ever deal darcy made were like this/that...he'd be the best gm in the league. alas...we still have leino on the squad, and stafford comfortable with his 4mil/yr contract.

so no, my opinion hasn't changed. it's always been teetering on the fence, and it continues to do so, even with this new "break the bank" mentality.

Nope...Distraction trades... Gaustad and a 4th for a 1st and Kassian for a small young center ...big deal.. we can all wait five years to see if the trade and the 1st work.. Sulzer.. another AHL defenseman? a 1st..more ahl fodder. Mags essentially goes for nothing..... I guess it was good for Kassian that he gets to escape Ruff's influence. Hope his trade turns out to be something like the Yankees decision to trade Ian Kennedy.

Miller, Pom , Vanek , Reghr and Hoff should be begging to go before next year , if they are smart. This is going to be another ten year rebuilding process.They will all be old and grey before they get another shot at the cup.

I think Darcy did a nice job today, but at the same time it's difficult to honestly evaluate some of these nuances without knowing all the facts, not the least of which is knowing what deals were available (today and historically) that weren't made, etc.

All we're left with is seeing what actually did get done (or didn't get done, e.g. players we lost) and - ultimately - what his teams have accomplished.

Sure, you can't know all the little nuances, but if you're saying that to counter my idea, you're stretching quite a bit. The Kassian deal is clearly a bit of a gamble. And it may be possible that they could have gotten a better return for Gaustad at some other time, but what exactly would that deal have been?

Gaustad is fine, but so would have been Connolly, Montador and Stafford last year.

The entire year was tanked after having $80 million in salaries. Is it really a celebration to squeak an extra 15 spots out of a draft pick for a guy after watching an entire season go down in flames?

Maybe he learned a little bit and they will get Doan/Iginla...those types of guys in here in the offseason. If not, it's just another pull of a slot machine.

Nope...Distraction trades... Gaustad and a 4th for a 1st and a Kassian for a small young center ...big deal.. we can all wait five years to see if the trades work.. Sulzer.. another AHL defenseman? Mags essentially goes for nothing..... I guess it was good for Kassian that he gets to escape Ruff's influence. Hope this trade turns out like the Yankees trade of Ian Kennedy.

How does 6' - 190lbs at 22 translate into small? He sure doesn't look small to me.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02/27/trade-deadline-2012-cody-hodgson-really-is-the-next-trevor-linden-traded-out-of-van/

Gaustad is fine, but so would have been Connolly, Montador and Stafford last year.

The entire year was tanked after having $80 million in salaries. Is it really a celebration to squeak an extra 15 spots out of a draft pick for a guy after watching an entire season go down in flames?

Maybe he learned a little bit and they will get Doan/Iginla...those types of guys in here in the offseason. If not, it's just another pull of a slot machine.

Do you think it's completely out of the realm of possibility at this point? Something's clearly different around here, I'm just not sure how different it is yet.

How does 6' - 190lbs at 22 translate into small? He sure doesn't look small to me.

http://blogs.theprov...ded-out-of-van/

Actually dark one he is listed at 185 and if you see him in person, in street clothes he is 175 max.. A nice third line center/ player but not know for his physical presence...Have seen him play maybe 30 games? Ok on the pp ..no better or worse than Roy on the pp,,time will tell ..if lindy gets him ..no hope.

Actually dark one he is listed at 185 and if you see him in person, in street clothes he is 175 max.. A nice third line center/ player but not know for his physical presence...Have seen him play maybe 30 games? Ok on the pp

But size doesn't always translate to strength and playing style. He might not weigh a lot, but he looks strong, and his frame is a good height to build on. Does he get taken off of pucks easily?

DR acknowledged that the team, with two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks, is well-armed going into the draft and mentioned that all options, including trading picks for players, will be examined. He conceded that even if no beneficial trades are available, he'll be happy to execute those picks.

This is a terrible approximation, but still interesting. What our first three rounds of draft picks would be, based on today's league standings (ignoring lottery/playoffs, etc):

1st round, 6th overall

1st round, 26th overall

2nd round, 36th overall

2nd round, 41st overall

3rd round, 66th overall

DR acknowledged that the team, with two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks, is well-armed going into the draft and mentioned that all options, including trading picks for players, will be examined. He conceded that even if no beneficial trades are available, he'll be happy to execute those picks.

This is a terrible approximation, but still interesting. What our first three rounds of draft picks would be, based on today's league standings (ignoring lottery/playoffs, etc):

1st round, 6th overall

1st round, 26th overall

2nd round, 36th overall

2nd round, 41st overall

3rd round, 66th overall

I like it. If they want to go out and trade for a significant player from ateam looking to rebuild like San Jose, Anaheim, here is your ammo.

But size doesn't always translate to strength and playing style. He might not weigh a lot, but he looks strong, and his frame is a good height to build on. Does he get taken off of pucks easily?

watch him play..then we can chat..will be interested in your take

Archived