Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Why do people believe this? This team is dressing Matt Ellis for Christ sake, they don't have room for Foligno and Kassian? I would like this roster better with Kassian, Foligno and Ott more than it is currently constructed.

You were not going to get Hodgson for unless you traded a quality player for him. We needed a center, the Canucks needed a winger with size, it was going to be Kassian or Foglino. I would love to have Kassian, Foligno and Ott as well, but having a quality center for Vanek and Pommer has really paid off this year so far.

He's certainly the best power forward prospect of the last 20 years. I can't think of anyone with his level of hype/potential.

That's really silly. There's no reason we couldn't keep both. I'd sign up for a Foligno clone right now. It's not like having one Foligno makes having another Foligno would be useless.

See above

Edited by BRAWNDO

You were not going to get Hodgson for unless you traded a quality player for him. We needed a center, the Canucks needed a winger with size, it was going to be Kassian or Foglino. I would love to have Kassian, Foligno and Ott as well, but having a quality center for Vanek and Pommer has really paid off this year so far.

The point isn't that we needed a center (we did), it's that we somehow didn't need Kassian because we had Foligno. This team could very clearly use both players (especially this year's version of Kassian).

Whether we won the trade or not is TBD, but the notion that Foligno made Kassian expendable is just nuts. We absolutely gave up something to get something there.

The point isn't that we needed a center (we did), it's that we somehow didn't need Kassian because we had Foligno. This team could very clearly use both players (especially this year's version of Kassian).

Whether we won the trade or not is TBD, but the notion that Foligno made Kassian expendable is just nuts. We absolutely gave up something to get something there.

I think both teams got exactly what they needed and it was a win win for both. Both players needed a change in scenery as well. Hodgson was never going to crack the top two lines in Vancouver and Kassian never seemed to fit in the Sabres System. The Sabres were desperate for centers but had three power forwards coming through the system (Kassian, Foligno and Armia) which made one of them expendable. Plus take into consideration Kassian's attitude both on and off the ice, he did not stick with the Sabres last season and was sent back to Rochester twice. He was benched by the AHL's Chicago Wolves during the lockout. Then there was the Bar Fight while he was with the OHL Spitfires as well as the 20 game suspension for a hit to the head. These factors made him expendable in order to obtain Hodgson.

BTW Very Cool Avatar

Edited by BRAWNDO

Exactly, you had to give up something good to get something good, I think the basis of most people arguements here is that Regier (or is it Ruff who is taking all the Regier blame now that Quinns gone?) shouldn't have this team in a position where it has to give up Kassian to try and get this team a Centre. The Sabres were desperate for a Centre and because of it, the only choice was to deal away something of top quality to get something of top quality.

Kassian 5G/1A/6 PTS- Hodgson 5G/4A/9 PTS

Kassian: 9 games 5 goals

Foligno, Ennis, Stafford, Hecht, Ott, Grigorenko, Kaleta, Gerbe, Scott, McCormick, Ellis 82 games....5 goals

Vancouver: Leading their division

Buffalo: Last in their division

20% of the way through the season.......

You can have the prettiest face, and hottest rack in the sorrority......but if you have a heart defect, you end up dead. We traded away our mitral valve for a tummy tuck and botox........

Kassian: 9 games 5 goals

Foligno, Ennis, Stafford, Hecht, Ott, Grigorenko, Kaleta, Gerbe, Scott, McCormick, Ellis 82 games....5 goals

Vancouver: Leading their division

Buffalo: Last in their division

20% of the way through the season.......

You can have the prettiest face, and hottest rack in the sorrority......but if you have a heart defect, you end up dead. We traded away our mitral valve for a tummy tuck and botox........

Much better analogy... kudos.

Or worse....Roy....

Most likely. It really comes down to Roy and Kassian or Hodgson and Ott. Foligno was going to be here either way, and I have no idea why Drane listed all those other players, other than to make the loss of Kassian look more dramatic (seriously, who the F expects Ellis, McCormick, or Scott to produce any discernible offense?)

Or worse....Roy....

Most likely. It really comes down to Roy and Kassian or Hodgson and Ott. Foligno was going to be here either way, and I have no idea why Drane listed all those other players, other than to make the loss of Kassian look more dramatic (seriously, who the F expects Ellis, McCormick, or Scott to produce any discernible offense?)

This is exactly what happened. These moves weren't made in a vacuum. They were looking to move Roy out, needed a center and found one that has thus far proven to be a perfect match for Vanek. Aside from a few defensive lapses, I cannot complain about Hodgson. His instincts are razor sharp and his hockey intelligence is out of this world. With his work ethic, I don't doubt he'll continue to improve.

But I get Drane's point, in general. Kassian and Foligno on this team together were the answer to my wettest dreams. Unfortunately, in order to plug one hole, another one inevitably opens up. The Sabres would likely be worse without that trade, though, and that's very difficult to wrap one's head around considering how bad they've been.

This is exactly what happened. These moves weren't made in a vacuum. They were looking to move Roy out, needed a center and found one that has thus far proven to be a perfect match for Vanek. Aside from a few defensive lapses, I cannot complain about Hodgson. His instincts are razor sharp and his hockey intelligence is out of this world. With his work ethic, I don't doubt he'll continue to improve.

But I get Drane's point, in general. Kassian and Foligno on this team together were the answer to my wettest dreams. Unfortunately, in order to plug one hole, another one inevitably opens up. The Sabres would likely be worse without that trade, though, and that's very difficult to wrap one's head around considering how bad they've been.

They probably could have had Hodgson (or someone similar) for Stafford in Summer 2011 (right after Stafford's 31 goals in 62 games season). But, as usual, Darcy chose not to "sell high" on a player. He's pretty terrible at figuring out who to give up on and when. Another reason to keep an eye on Kassian in Vancouver.

They probably could have had Hodgson (or someone similar) for Stafford in Summer 2011 (right after Stafford's 31 goals in 62 games season). But, as usual, Darcy chose not to "sell high" on a player. He's pretty terrible at figuring out who to give up on and when. Another reason to keep an eye on Kassian in Vancouver.

Then there's this--- I agreed with weave when he posited that this trade was largely a consequence of Black Sunday. Roster mismanagement in past seasons tends to be terminal. It would take a deft GM hand to stem the bleeding.

Then again, acquiring Hodgson the year prior would have had more of an eye on rebuild as he was still too green. The fact remains that Stafford could have been moved for a center which would have made Roy expendable.

Then there's this--- I agreed with weave when he posited that this trade was largely a consequence of Black Sunday. Roster mismanagement in past seasons tends to be terminal. It would take a deft GM hand to stem the bleeding.

Then again, acquiring Hodgson the year prior would have had more of an eye on rebuild as he was still too green. The fact remains that Stafford could have been moved for a center which would have made Roy expendable.

We're still suffering from Black Sunday because we never addressed it with a full rebuild. It's been nothing but band-aids ever since. We create new problems by addressing the current ones.

All of Regier's half-measures have resulted in a team that is never contending and never rebuilding. Are we trying to get younger? Are we trying to win now? Are we trying to just win enough that you can't justify firing anyone?

I've said it before, you can't rebuild with the same GM you've had since 1997 because that would require him to admit that he failed and that it's time to start over. So we never have a plan. We're just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a little bit of roster turnover every year.

We're still suffering from Black Sunday because we never addressed it with a full rebuild. It's been nothing but band-aids ever since. We create new problems by addressing the current ones.

All of Regier's half-measures have resulted in a team that is never contending and never rebuilding. Are we trying to get younger? Are we trying to win now? Are we trying to just win enough that you can't justify firing anyone?

I've said it before, you can't rebuild with the same GM you've had since 1997 because that would require him to admit that he failed and that it's time to start over. So we never have a plan. We're just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a little bit of roster turnover every year.

I absolutely agree with this post, I'm on the same page. I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have attempted a rebuild in acquiring a player as green as Hodgson 2 seasons ago, but only acknowledging that they would not have made such a move as they specifically stated they were not in rebuild mode.

Could you not have traded Stafford and Sekera?

Again....the fatal flaw of this team was made even worse with this trade. People gave up on Kassian after a few dozen games. They wanted to dismiss the Ruff factor and seem to believe the need for another monotone, skilled, slight of build fella was what this team needed. Hodgson looks good this year. But it's like bartering in the Wild West.......you were low on water to begin with, and you just traded away the rest of your water for a new cover to your wagon. Great.....now it will take you 10 days instead of 5 to dehydrate to death because the cover will protect you from the sun. A smart person would see that you needed more water...and hence who cares how hot it gets....you will always survive.

Darcy's driving the covered wagon of skeletons.......

Whether they explicitly say it or not (they won't), I think it's pretty clear the rebuild has begun. They're trying to do it gradually rather than with a stick of dynamite, but looking at the roster its pretty clear to me that it's happening. Stay competitive enough to compete for a playoff spot while turning the roster over to younger players and let those players get experience with vets around so we don't ice a bottom-3 roster of 22 year olds. Maybe a fire sale and tanking would be better (good argument for this IMO), but I see a rebuild already underway.

Could you not have traded Stafford and Sekera?

Again....the fatal flaw of this team was made even worse with this trade. People gave up on Kassian after a few dozen games. They wanted to dismiss the Ruff factor and seem to believe the need for another monotone, skilled, slight of build fella was what this team needed. Hodgson looks good this year. But it's like bartering in the Wild West.......you were low on water to begin with, and you just traded away the rest of your water for a new cover to your wagon. Great.....now it will take you 10 days instead of 5 to dehydrate to death because the cover will protect you from the sun. A smart person would see that you needed more water...and hence who cares how hot it gets....you will always survive.

Darcy's driving the covered wagon of skeletons.......

3 games? Wha'Happened?