Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

An oldie, but goodie thread.

Hodgson will be coming off his EL contract at the end this season.

Any ideas what his new contract will look like.

I'm thinking something like 3 years at $3 million per year, with some bonus # tied to performance.

Shorter season could help us with Coho's contract. But yeah, I think we will see a 3 year contract (which would keep him an RFA) for 2.5-3.5, depending on this season

Edited by ThirtyEight

I think it's premature, even for this board, to speculate on Hodgson's salary. We haven't seen him play with us much, his role hasn't been established, his productivity hasn't been established, he's been injured within the past few months (I doubt this is a big deal), the CBA is brand spanking new, and the cap figures are in flux. I couldn't even begin to construct a leg to stand on if I guessed at a salary.

I think it's premature, even for this board, to speculate on Hodgson's salary. We haven't seen him play with us much, his role hasn't been established, his productivity hasn't been established, he's been injured within the past few months (I doubt this is a big deal), the CBA is brand spanking new, and the cap figures are in flux. I couldn't even begin to construct a leg to stand on if I guessed at a salary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the pending RFAs leaguewide accepting their one year qualifying offers and then going out to prove themselves for a real contract the following season.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrection!

I'm bringing this thread back up because I made the mistake of reading the comments under the TSN article where Kassian scored the shootout winner. All the Nucks fans are saying how Gillis basically got the better deal and Kassian has size and skills that Hodgson lacks. So why do we care? Well I thought it might be interesting to keep an eye on both players during this shortened season to see if a winner in this deal does start to emerge. I think it is still to early to tell, however (I watched the Vancouver highlights) based off of the first 2 games only I see more from Hodgson style of play than I do from Kassian. Other current thoughts on this trade as we get under way here?

Resurrection!

I'm bringing this thread back up because I made the mistake of reading the comments under the TSN article where Kassian scored the shootout winner. All the Nucks fans are saying how Gillis basically got the better deal and Kassian has size and skills that Hodgson lacks. So why do we care? Well I thought it might be interesting to keep an eye on both players during this shortened season to see if a winner in this deal does start to emerge. I think it is still to early to tell, however (I watched the Vancouver highlights) based off of the first 2 games only I see more from Hodgson style of play than I do from Kassian. Other current thoughts on this trade as we get under way here?

I think both teams can be winners with this trade. We desperately needed a young center with #1 potential. They needed a power forward with skills and toughness. If things continue on the trajectory of the first couple of games, I'd be happy with the trade.

Kassian is only playing on the top line due to injuries. He does not have the skill to be there.

I'm not so sure about that. Zack has plenty of skill. His hockey skills weren't the issue when he was here, it was his willingness to due the dirty work. He barely hit and shied away from nearly every fight. Apparently upon his trip back to Canada, he remembered what he's supposed to be doing.

I think both teams can be winners with this trade. We desperately needed a young center with #1 potential. They needed a power forward with skills and toughness. If things continue on the trajectory of the first couple of games, I'd be happy with the trade.

If Kassian turns out to be significantly better than Hodgson, I'm worried that Regier will never make a gutsy trade again. Trading our top prospect for their top prospect is arguably the riskiest move he's ever made. I want more moves like that in the future.

It's also tough not to wonder what Kassian might be like for us this year with Ott here to lead the way and Foligno around to compete with.

If Kassian turns out to be significantly better than Hodgson, I'm worried that Regier will never make a gutsy trade again. Trading our top prospect for their top prospect is arguably the riskiest move he's ever made. I want more moves like that in the future.

It's also tough not to wonder what Kassian might be like for us this year with Ott here to lead the way and Foligno around to compete with.

It is risky but this is why I am curious to hear ppls opinions on the matter. We traded away what we considered our top prospect and in return we got Vancouvers, the ripple effect of this trade will be massive and I find it fascinating

We'd likely still have Roy and therefore no Ott if Kassian were still here

Which would be dumb, but I guess it's possible given our depth chart. Roy needed to go one way or another though and Ott is exactly the type of guy we needed after last year. Trading Roy for Ott and then making a separate move to get a center would have been just fine.

They may not have learned the correct term yet, but Vancouver radio this morning was all over the concept of Zach Kassian.

They caught a glimpse last night and, after months of tears over their golden boy Cody, all of a sudden are wondering if maybe they were the ones to fleece us.

The player most often being brought up as a comparison: Todd Bertuzzi.

It was acknowledged to be a risky trade at the time. Kass was underwhelming, but Hodgson was for "Couver as well. And each team was short in the the area that the other prospect shined. It seemed like a reasonable trade to make at the time. and 2 games in, it still seems like a mutually beneficial move was made. My hope is that over time it doesn't start to look like a Neely for Barry Pederson sort of trade.

Then again, if Hodgson does well and the Sabres are successful with him, I suppose it doesn't matter if Kassian does turn into Neely as we still got what we needed.

They may not have learned the correct term yet, but Vancouver radio this morning was all over the concept of Zach Kassian.

They caught a glimpse last night and, after months of tears over their golden boy Cody, all of a sudden are wondering if maybe they were the ones to fleece us.

The player most often being brought up as a comparison: Todd Bertuzzi.

The 'roid rage Bertuzzi or the underachieving big man Bertuzzi? :P

TRue and don't forget the Sabres got Sulzer as a bonus. ( I view Gragnani as a through away from an organization who already had many of the similar players.)

I believe the exact maths used by a poster on the NHL website was:

1 Zach Kassian = 3 Cody Hodgson

They also said Cody hasn't really scored a goal this season (one went in off his foot, the other his body), compared to the scoring machine of Zach. Oh they are fickle

Edited by ThirtyEight

^This. 'Nuff said. It took a young promising player to land another promising player at a position of greater need. Foligno has played more like what we wanted out of Kassian to this point anyway. Good luck to Zack in Vancouver. That's all I got to say about it. I just don't see the point in comparing them after every game.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm not so sure about that. Zack has plenty of skill. His hockey skills weren't the issue when he was here, it was his willingness to due the dirty work. He barely hit and shied away from nearly every fight. Apparently upon his trip back to Canada, he remembered what he's supposed to be doing.

I agree with this. At least from what I saw out of him he's not a 3rd/4th line physical monster, but rather a top-6 offensive player who can control the puck along the boards and occasionally drop 'em.

Cody Hodgson is centering a line that has 13 pts in two games. If he can keep up anything close to resembling that pace I will not care what kind of player Zack Kassian becomes.

This is my sentiment, especially since if you look at recent success in the playoffs and regular season, quality centers and center depth seem to be the indicator of consistent success. So IMO I would trade a winger for a center every time...

Let's see what happens come May/June.

I know what I think....but long way to go for everyone.

And as always.....I'm tempted to post the video of Lindy Ginzu-ing Luke Adam with a stick and trying to put a bridle and blinkers on Kassian. Just hope Foligno isn't on deck....

Marcus plays with ill will and discontent. I don't think that's something you just coach out of someone.

Edited by inkman