Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Maybe you're right. I just think the kid needs to learn how to play at the professional level, not get 10 minutes per game on the 4th line. Even before the trade I wanted him down in Rochester getting 18 minutes on the top line, maybe making a playoff run in the AHL. Playing on that line might help bring out his physicality consistently, but I don't see it doing much for the rest of his game.

Well, from all the accounts I've heard from those who watched him with the Amerks, he wasn't bringing it at the AHL level, either. Never mind that Foligno has no problem whatsoever bringing his physical presence to bear every game in the form of actually looking to initiate checks and finishing them.

There are those fans who believe that toughness begins and ends with the ability to win fights. While that's all well and good, toughess means imposing your physical presence in every facet of the game every night. It's the difference between Dave Schultz and Cam Neely. Kassian has a long way to go regardless of who is coaching him. And whoever that coach is will be doing him a great disservice by insisting he goon it up every night.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Even then, it really isn't. Fans will go nuts over immediate results, but we're dealing with two rooks, here. Let me know in 2013-14.

Are you implying we should wait and see how it plays out? You know that's not the appropriate attitude right? You should be disgusted with everything and make sure everyone agrees with you.

Are you implying we should wait and see how it plays out? You know that's not the appropriate attitude right? You should be disgusted with everything and make sure everyone agrees with you.

Ah, if there was sarcasm in the post that I responded to, and I didn't detect it, that's on me, dammit!

Perhaps you need to appreciate the difference between "bashing" Kassian vs. simply not buying into the myth. Some of us see him for what he is: a young kid with enormous potential as an offensive player who can handle himself with his fists if needed. Like you, we all read the scouting reports and were hoping to see the next Neely in the making immediately. But as is the case with the vast majority of prospects that takes time to develop. It's not fair to the kid to expect that immediately and I was certainly more than willing to wait. But then a funny thing happened: we had an opportunity to acquire a higher rated prospect at a greater position of need.

If there is one glaring area of need that's even bigger than the one of grit and toughness, it's scoring. We are simply not very good at it. Scoring and getting leads will negate our disadvantage in the toughness department more than anything else. The Boston's of the league cannot leverage their physical advantage as readily when forced to play from behind very often. Plus, I think we're nicely positioned to make some deals for players that can help us get bigger and stronger in the summer. Yesterday was a start in reshaping the roster. It wasn't all going to be done overnight. And while it's easy to say that they should have started the process in December, I don't think it's that simple. Besides, it does no good to rant about missed opportunities that we don't know for sure existed in the first place.

Bottom line: it took a great prospect with potential to land another great prospect with potential. And we all wish Kassian the best with his new opportunity.

GO SABRES!!!

i agree with almost all of this, but has anybody ever thought that the lack of toughness/grit is a huge contributor to the reason the sabres don't score?

when was the last time you saw any of the top 6 taking huge hits to make a play? i couldn't tell you the last time i seen it. i do see alot of bending over and reaching with the stick or peeling of the puck because a checker is coming in hot and heavy and ultimately the sabre player loses the puck.

i fear now teams will have their way with buffalo, the next boston game is going to be ugly i predict. what is going to stop team from being like that towards them? buffalo has no answer for that.

Edited by Freakpop

you mean you.

While you criticize (rightly) the re-signing of Stafford, you simultaneously criticize the failure of a Staff-for-CoHo deal? (1) You've been touting that Vancouver's front office is smarter than Buffalo's; (2) Vancouver wanted a "tough guy" (not sure that Kass is, but that's their bet) and not a purported scorer; (3) you and everyone here wants a center. YOUR WORDS: "At any price." Well, what if CoHo is him, and the freaking price was Kassian?

There are enough reasons to bitch without making new ones up. Good Lord.

How often do you see me hammer Roy?

Stafford was just a name i threw out there. I know better than to think any team would give up anything for Stafford.

Hodgson is far from being a #1 center, just like Kassian is far from reaching his potential. As I said earlier, if both players reach their maximum potential I would prefer Kassian. I've been hoping for a player like that to wear a Sabre uniform for a long time.

How often do you see me hammer Roy?

Stafford was just a name i threw out there. I know better than to think any team would give up anything for Stafford.

Hodgson is far from being a #1 center, just like Kassian is far from reaching his potential. As I said earlier, if both players reach their maximum potential I would prefer Kassian. I've been hoping for a player like that to wear a Sabre uniform for a long time.

But a No 1 center at any price, right?

i agree with almost all of this, but has anybody ever thought that the lack of toughness/grit is a huge contributor to the reason the sabres don't score?

when was the last time you saw any of the top 6 taking huge hits to make a play? i couldn't tell you the last time i seen it. i do see alot of bending over and reaching with the stick or peeling of the puck because a checker is coming in hot and heavy and ultimately the sabre player loses the puck.

i fear now teams will have their way with buffalo, the next boston game is going to be ugly i predict. what is going to stop team from being like that towards them? buffalo has no answer for that.

It may have been in another thread, but it was pointed out that the bid bad Boston Bruins are 25th in the league in hits. They're 3rd in the league in goals. The Rangers are among the league leaders in hits, they're 12th in the league in goals. Detroit is probably near the bottom in hits, they're 5th in goals. I really think there's a minimal connection, at best, between hits and goal scoring.

• Like (+1) 1

Ah, if there was sarcasm in the post that I responded to, and I didn't detect it, that's on me, dammit!

I thought you were expressing that you picked up on my sarcasm just fine? Now I'm confused.

edit: did you mean my post about Kassian? No sarcasm there. I was just attempting to riff off of the atmosphere of negativity around here that is posturing as foresight.

Edited by d4rksabre

If the Sabres would have gotten a #1 center the conversation would be different.

But you twice hypothesized full potential for both. And that you would have preferred Kass in that event. #1 PF vs #1C. You preferred the PF.

Face it dude, you just want to bitch for bitching sometimes.

• Like (+1) 1

But you twice hypothesized full potential for both. And that you would have preferred Kass in that event. #1 PF vs #1C. You preferred the PF.

Face it dude, you just want to bitch for bitching sometimes.

Given the chance to have a true power forward prospect compare to a center prospect. I absolutely take the power forward prospect. Offer me Getzlaf for a package including Kassian and I make the deal.

You do realize that you are the only one "bitching," I am simply adding my opinion to the conversation. You seem to want to take the conversation into another direction.

Edited by DeLuca67

Given the chance to have a true power forward prospect compare to a center prospect. I absolutely take the power forward prospect. Offer me Getzlaf for a package including Kassian and I make the deal.

You do realize that you are the only one "bitching," I am simply adding my opinion to the conversation. You seem to want to take the conversation into another direction.

Oh, I don't, I don't.

Again. Full potential. One would be a #1C, the other, a #1PF. And your statement that whatever the cost, the Sabs need a #1C.

Come on, man. I don't know what a "petard" is, or how one would hoist himself upon it, but whatever it is, and however it is done, you're there.

I still love ya, babe.

You sure? He had the same ice time Lapierre, 06:46. Coinicidentally, two former Sabres on Phoenix had more ice time. Pyatt-8:17. Torres-8:30.

He played at least one shift with the Sedins with the lines shuffled following a PK and also filled in for David Booth on the 2nd line twice, possibly due to injury. He did have one nice scoring chance where he drove to the night but he couldn't lift the puck and just pushed into the goaltender's pads. Hasn't looked anymore physical tonight than he has so far, but what can really be expected in his first game.

Under Ruff he never had a chance to be.

Look at what the Sabres did to Gaustad's game and now Kassian. It's almost poetic that they both got moved on the same day.

Goose turned into a guy that was worth a number one pick to a Stanley Cup team.

• Like (+1) 2

He played at least one shift with the Sedins with the lines shuffled following a PK and also filled in for David Booth on the 2nd line twice, possibly due to injury. He did have one nice scoring chance where he drove to the night but he couldn't lift the puck and just pushed into the goaltender's pads. Hasn't looked anymore physical tonight than he has so far, but what can really be expected in his first game.

I thought that the first game was supposed to be the best game they ever played. Or is that just with guys coming to buffalo.

Edited by wonderbread

Hasn't looked anymore physical tonight than he has so far, but what can really be expected in his first game.

Many thought once he had the Lindy reigns taken off of him, he would burst onto the ice spewing blood while performing on ice surgery with his stick. I think a fight would have been nice. Maybe a hit or two. I'm thinking this trade might work out just fine. Time will tell.

He's been credited with 5 hits so far, one less than Bieksa.

They've officially given Kassian 5 hits in the game tonight, but I've been watching him pretty closely and only seen two pretty weak ones. His stick handling hasn't looked bad, though. And he had a nice scoring chance.

Edited by the415

He's been credited with 5 hits so far, one less than Bieksa.

Columbus was credited with having outhit Detroit 33-2 earlier tonight. He's kind of leaning into guys and banging into the glass a bit but he's not exactly skating around with his hair on fire. He looks like a rookie adjusting to a new team, which is fine.

They've officially given Kassian 5 hits in the game tonight, but I've been watching him pretty closely and only seen two pretty weak ones.

I saw the same.

He's looked pretty much like he's looked all year. Flashes of his great potential, especially with his ability to control the puck along the boards and he's made a couple nice passes as well. He's in a good situation in Vancouver with so much more talent around him.

I think the penalty he took a couple minutes ago was a bit unlucky. His stick got caught up in the Coyote player more than anything.

I'm not sure where they got those five hits from, either. Regardless, he's more than holding his own out there.

GO SABRES!!!

If the Sabres would have given up a Stafford for Hodgson I would be ecstatic. Kassian represents so much of what this franchise is missing. I have real concerns for Foligno and McNabb going forward. Do they really have a future here in Buffalo or will they eventually be shipped out because they don't fit the Status Quo mold? It's a valid concern.

That's what I am saying. Again, I told d4rksabre that Vancouver was our best shot at getting a real center. They were "topheavy" at center as I put it. I wished it would have been Roy/Gaustad/Stafford/Leopold involved for Kesler.....and the reason they would even think about moving Kesler was because they were so deep and had a guy like Hodgson.

I'm confused as to why this is popping up at all. You have to give up something good to get something good. You both know that, so why say that you wished it would have been our garbage? Everyone wishes that.

• Like (+1) 1