What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Well, coffee can be acidic, so maybe that does some of the tenderizing? Still, odd to imagine java-flavored beef stew. Got me wanting to get out the slow cooker!

My friend is a coffee roaster as a side business and he offers an awesome coffee dry rub that I use quite often when grilling. I've used some of his coffee in beers I've brewed as well.

https://muddydogcoffee.com/specialty-foods/384-coffee-bbq-rub

My friend is a coffee roaster as a side business and he offers an awesome coffee dry rub that I use quite often when grilling. I've used some of his coffee in beers I've brewed as well.

https://muddydogcoffee.com/specialty-foods/384-coffee-bbq-rub

Interesting. So there may be some merit to coffee as a tenderizer...

The other day I tried a newer place near the office called JJ's Red Hots. Just happens to be owned by folks from Buffalo, serves Sahlen's and is "inspired" by classic hot dog joints like Ted's. They even have a picture of Ted's near the the front door. It's definitely more upscale than Ted's, but the hot dogs were spot on and the onion rings fantastic. They even serve Weber's mustard. I filed out five comment cards (one for me and each of my 4 coworkers) and requested Loganberry on each one. Apparently they're "working on it." We have two other "Buffalo" hot dog places in the Charlotte area, but they were really disappointing. My coworkers (all from NC) were very impressed, and said it was easily the best hot dog they've had in Charlotte.

The other day I tried a newer place near the office called JJ's Red Hots. Just happens to be owned by folks from Buffalo, serves Sahlen's and is "inspired" by classic hot dog joints like Ted's. They even have a picture of Ted's near the the front door. It's definitely more upscale than Ted's, but the hot dogs were spot on and the onion rings fantastic. They even serve Weber's mustard. I filed out five comment cards (one for me and each of my 4 coworkers) and requested Loganberry on each one. Apparently they're "working on it." We have two other "Buffalo" hot dog places in the Charlotte area, but they were really disappointing. My coworkers (all from NC) were very impressed, and said it was easily the best hot dog they've had in Charlotte.

Nice. Are you subjected to those brutal flourescent red bright leaf hot dogs over in Charlotte? I swear those things are equal parts red dye and hog offal. Nasty stuff.

Was attempting to make sweet potato and raisin bread, but since my food processor turned the raisins into paste rather than chop them (oops), I made sweet potato bread and these:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/11/14/oatmeal-raisin-cookie-larabars/

So an unexpected two for one recipe, lol.

Nice. Are you subjected to those brutal flourescent red bright leaf hot dogs over in Charlotte? I swear those things are equal parts red dye and hog offal. Nasty stuff.

Yes and no. I don't see them too often, at least not as much as I did in Greensboro while I was in college. Those things are bad news.

So in richmond VA today about 65 out, got me in the mood for grilling tonight. Flat Iron steaks on sale, so that on tap for tonight. Anybody with a recipe for rub/marinade for that thing? Figure that staek only needs 2-3 hour marinade..so needs to be in the fridge in the next hour

Edited by plenzmd1

So in richmond VA today about 65 out, got me in the mood for grilling tonight. Flat Iron steaks on sale, so that on tap for tonight. Anybody with a recipe for rub/marinade for that thing? Figure that staek only needs 2-3 hour marinade..so needs to be in the fridge in the next hour

Chop up a good handful of onion, 3 or 4 jalapeno peppers, and a handful of cilantro. Dump the chopped veggies/cilantro in a 1G ziplock bag. Put the Flat Iron steak in the bag. Top with beer. Seal bag. Shake to evenly distribute everything.

So somehow...in a quest to be somewhat healthier, I substituted Tanqueray for beer. Pros: less calories, no bloating, no peeing, no bottles to return. Cons: I can actually handle booze quite well, so this leads to martini madness and a lighter wallet from green bottles galore and a happy Drane making online Christmas purchases at 2AM with a Barnabyesque BAC.

Chop up a good handful of onion, 3 or 4 jalapeno peppers, and a handful of cilantro. Dump the chopped veggies/cilantro in a 1G ziplock bag. Put the Flat Iron steak in the bag. Top with beer. Seal bag. Shake to evenly distribute everything.

So had to move this to today, but will try tonight. I may make a chimmichuri sauce to go along

So somehow...in a quest to be somewhat healthier, I substituted Tanqueray for beer. Pros: less calories, no bloating, no peeing, no bottles to return. Cons: I can actually handle booze quite well, so this leads to martini madness and a lighter wallet from green bottles galore and a happy Drane making online Christmas purchases at 2AM with a Barnabyesque BAC.

My wife was a tanqueray drinker for twenty years, has now switched to Hendricks. If you like the real botanical Gins, you might want to try it. She also liked it with Fever Tree tonic, which might cost more than the damn booze.

Edited by plenzmd1

So had to move this to today, but will try tonight. I may make a chimmichuri sauce to go along

My wife was a tanqueray drinker for twenty years, has now switched to Hendricks. If you like the real botanical Gins, you might want to try it. She also liked it with Fever Tree tonic, which might cost more than the damn booze.

Thanks. I have always liked it but never made it my go-to. I will give those a whirl.

.....do we even want to know? :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.