Who would you unload for draft picks plus their cap slots?

nfreeman

72 members have voted

1. 1. If you were the Sabres' GM, and you were offered a low-2nd-to-low-3rd round pick for any of the following players, would you accept it? Choose as many players as you like.

• Ehrhoff (9 more years after this one, $4MM per year)
    • Leopold (1 more year, $3MM per year)
    • Sekera (3 more years, $2.75MM per year)
    • Miller (2 more years, $6.25MM per year)
    • Leino (5 more years, $4.5MM per year)
    • Pommer (2 more years, $5.3MM per year)
    • Roy (1 more year, $4MM per year)
    • Stafford (3 more years, $4MM per year)
    • Vanek (2 more years, $7.1MM per year)
    • None of the above -- I'd rather keep each guy than dump him for a pick.

Well, I'm still hopeful, but if the Sabres don't turn things around in the next 10 days or so, their season will be effectively over. I don't know what they will do, but I know what I would do.

After this season, the Sabres will have about $6.75MM in cap space. This includes the space freed up by letting go of Boyes, Hecht and Gaustad, as well as the additional cost of Myers' new contract. It does not include salaries for Ennis or Kaleta, both of whom are RFAs, and both of whom are making about $900K this year. So, if you think any of those 5 guys is coming back, the $6.75MM will shrink and perhaps disappear depending on which guys and their salaries. Even if they let all 5 guys go (and I'd be very surprised if they didn't keep at least Ennis at $1.7MM or so), they won't have enough for an elite UFA this summer.

I think the Sabres have far too many mediocre players making far too much money. In the hard cap era, bad contracts really impair a team's ability to make itself over quickly. I would much rather keep my powder dry and wait for the right players to become available, either via trade or FA, than preclude myself from doing so by giving long-term deals to mediocrities -- which is what IMHO the Sabres have done. So I'd rather enter a season $6MM- $10MM under the cap, because if a guy like Phaneuf or Mike Richards becomes available in trade, I'd like to be able to pounce -- not be prevented from doing so because I've given Roy and Stafford $4MM each.

This poll is really designed to determine whether the board would collectively rather have a given player's salary slot to work with, or keep that player.

Note that the only possible return in trade (in the poll question) is a low 2nd (ie towards the end of the 2nd round) to low 3rd round pick. There is no option for Getzlaf or Staal.

Also, I didn't include the guys who are going to be UFAs this summer, since the analysis is different and we won't know how much it will cost to bring them back.

I voted to take the draft picks for Pommer, Roy, Stafford and Leopold.

I only chose Roy... and that's basically because I think for some of them you can get better than what you had as the trade.

Leopold, Sekera are great trade deadline deals.. (if Sekera gets back in there). Leopold goes first due to experience and shorter contract.

Pominville - worth more

Vanek - worth more

Miller - worth more

Stafford - not trading him, not yet.

Leino and Ehrhoff - worth more

Roy - I'd prefer to see him as part of a package deal but I'd drop him at any point.

Unless there is a miracle and the Sabres right the ship before the deadline approaches(highly doubtful with the current road trip, and the ongoing injuries), I'd be looking to dump Hecht, Gaustad, Boyes & Leopold for the aforementioned 2nd or 3rd round picks, or some center depth in the form of prospects(obviously not elite prospects).

I'd also be willing to deal Roy and Stafford for the right deal(no rentals coming back)), but I'd consider waiting until the offseason if a better deal can be made at that time.

Even if they are traded, I'd be open to re-signing Hecht to a contract in the 1.5-2 mil range(2 year deal), and Gaustad in the 1.25-1.5 mil range(3 year deal). Anything more, and their careers as Sabres are over.

I would trade anyone on this team over the age of 25 who isn't Thomas Vanek -- and that includes guys I really like like Pominville and Regehr. I wouldn't trade ALL of them just for the sake of trading them but if we can get some good draft picks, let's do it. Bottoming out worked for Chicago and we can add to a really good group of prospects with another big draft or with other teams' prospects.

I might even trade Vanek for the right deal but I doubt it exists. For that matter, I doubt there'd be anything out there worth trading Pominville or Miller for as part of our rebuilding process.

I think my most interesting vote was 'yes' to Miller. I'd prefer a trade for a starter with CAP space, but the value of releasing $6.5MM, if even for picks, let me vote "yes". It's not a great year for UFA goalies. Gustavsson intrigues me. I never considered Miller "elite". My analysis was that if you divided the league into thirds, Miller's career has been a "top of the second tier" career. I acknowledge his spectacular run. I'm a fan, not a goaltender coach. My analysis now is that either: 1) Lindy's lost him, or; 2) his team's lost him, or; 3) he's grown tired of Lindy and/or the team, or; 4) the concussion's changed him. There's nothing wrong with being very good. The problem is being paid to be elite. We have other veterans in the same category, of course.

I'd let Leopold and Stafford go, too. With regard to Roy, I'd keep him at $4 million until I had options at center.

None of the above.

Some of those listed are worth more playing for the Sabres than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Others value is worth more than a single pick.

This poll isn't a bad idea, but it needs more definitive parameters in order to reflect the "true" net worth of a player, especially around the deadline where prices in trades are a bit inflated, particularly for those teams attempting a run in the playoffs who are looking to bolster their top scoring lines or depth positions.

Unless there is a miracle and the Sabres right the ship before the deadline approaches(highly doubtful with the current road trip, and the ongoing injuries), I'd be looking to dump Hecht, Gaustad, Boyes & Leopold for the aforementioned 2nd or 3rd round picks, or some center depth in the form of prospects(obviously not elite prospects).

I'd also be willing to deal Roy and Stafford for the right deal(no rentals coming back)), but I'd consider waiting until the offseason if a better deal can be made at that time.

Even if they are traded, I'd be open to re-signing Hecht to a contract in the 1.5-2 mil range(2 year deal), and Gaustad in the 1.25-1.5 mil range(3 year deal). Anything more, and their careers as Sabres are over.

I'll second every word of this.

I would do very few of these for just a late second or third round pick. Maybe Roy and Leopold...just maybe. However that said i would pull the trigger on a lot of these with the same pick and a near NHL prospect, or a young NHLer with potential who hasn't yet had the 30 goal season of Stafford or the 80 point season of Roy yet. I'm a big fan of "upside" and "potential". That's also the reason I'm not ready to give up on Leino just yet.

I would trade anyone on this team over the age of 25 who isn't Thomas Vanek -- and that includes guys I really like like Pominville and Regehr. I wouldn't trade ALL of them just for the sake of trading them but if we can get some good draft picks, let's do it. Bottoming out worked for Chicago and we can add to a really good group of prospects with another big draft or with other teams' prospects.

I might even trade Vanek for the right deal but I doubt it exists. For that matter, I doubt there'd be anything out there worth trading Pominville or Miller for as part of our rebuilding process.

I don't want to be Chicago. It took them almost 10 years of sucking to get Kane.

Roy, Stafford and Sekera, although Leopold could go instead.

Question, if we unloaded Roy and Stafford at the deadline would we be able to bring Kotalik over from Europe, and if so is it worth it? This based on the idea we're going to bottom out this season.

Surprised that Boyes wasn't on this poll -- 4 million, does absolutely nothing

No one would take him plus his contact is over at the end of the season.

I don't want to be Chicago. It took them almost 10 years of sucking to get Kane.

Just for the sake of argument, they got Towes the year before that and they pulled off a trade for Sharpe in '05. They drafted Keith and Seabrook in '02 and '03 and also Byfuglien In '03.

Who's to say the Sabres haven't already started this rebuild with the drafting of Myers and McNabb and Kassian. (yes I'm aware that those three are currently not even close to the level of Keith, Seabrook and Byfuglien)

If that can be even close to the model of the Hawks then we are only 2 lousy seasons away from our #1 pick. And as a bonus we could get a top 5 pick this year(Towes #3 overall in 06)

Just playing devils advocate. I really really don't want them to suck next year too.

None of the above.

Some of those listed are worth more playing for the Sabres than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Others value is worth more than a single pick.

This poll isn't a bad idea, but it needs more definitive parameters in order to reflect the "true" net worth of a player, especially around the deadline where prices in trades are a bit inflated, particularly for those teams attempting a run in the playoffs who are looking to bolster their top scoring lines or depth positions.

It's not unreasonable to vote "none of the above," but I don't understand the point about more definitive parameters. How could the parameters be any more definitive? The proposed trade is "Player X for draft pick Y." That's it -- no wrinkles. You either dump the player because you'd rather have the salary cap slot (with the pick thrown in as a bonus), or you don't, because you'd rather keep the player.

Surprised that Boyes wasn't on this poll -- 4 million, does absolutely nothing

Well, I did say that I wasn't including any of the upcoming UFAs, which includes Boyes. If the Sabres are out of it at the deadline, I fully expect them to unload Boyes (although I wouldn't expect much in return -- the Sabres will be doing well if they get a 2nd rounder for him).

Just for the sake of argument, they got Towes the year before that and they pulled off a trade for Sharpe in '05. They drafted Keith and Seabrook in '02 and '03 and also Byfuglien In '03.

Who's to say the Sabres haven't already started this rebuild with the drafting of Myers and McNabb and Kassian. (yes I'm aware that those three are currently not even close to the level of Keith, Seabrook and Byfuglien)

If that can be even close to the model of the Hawks then we are only 2 lousy seasons away from our #1 pick. And as a bonus we could get a top 5 pick this year(Towes #3 overall in 06)

Just playing devils advocate. I really really don't want them to suck next year too.

Just for sake of argument I'd rather have Myers over Byfuglien. :D. IMHO.

We needed this sort of thing last season.

I voted for Roy, Stafford, Leopold, Sekera but I would add that it should be an either/or for Leopold and Sekera. I'm not sure it makes sense to move BOTH of them. I'm also not sure a 2nd rounder is enough for our two forwards. It wouldbe interesting to see what the market is for those two. Both of them have put up numbers to suggest they may be worth more but most of us have a gut feeling that they both bring the team down to some extent.

We've been mediocre for 40 years and we don't have a Cup to show for it. I'm jealous of Chicago.

Also, Black Sunday was nearly 5 years ago and we've already collected some big pieces for our rebuild: Myers, Kassian, Adam, McNabb, Ennis, etc. If we build around THAT group, it won't be another 10 years.

OK .. with all sincerity, I am amazed at the knowledge on this board. No one else sees "value" in Miller going primarily because of the CAP space? I looked at it this way - forgetting the timing, could I get better goaltending with $6.5 million per year? I answered 'yes'. Is he worth more than a few picks? Of course, in terms of the players you'd expect. I am belaboring a point ... onward and upward!

OK .. with all sincerity, I am amazed at the knowledge on this board. No one else sees "value" in Miller going primarily because of the CAP space? I looked at it this way - forgetting the timing, could I get better goaltending with $6.5 million per year? I answered 'yes'. Is he worth more than a few picks? Of course, in terms of the players you'd expect. I am belaboring a point ... onward and upward!

:doh:

Archived