Who would you unload for draft picks plus their cap slots?

nfreeman

72 members have voted

1. 1. If you were the Sabres' GM, and you were offered a low-2nd-to-low-3rd round pick for any of the following players, would you accept it? Choose as many players as you like.

• Ehrhoff (9 more years after this one, $4MM per year)
    • Leopold (1 more year, $3MM per year)
    • Sekera (3 more years, $2.75MM per year)
    • Miller (2 more years, $6.25MM per year)
    • Leino (5 more years, $4.5MM per year)
    • Pommer (2 more years, $5.3MM per year)
    • Roy (1 more year, $4MM per year)
    • Stafford (3 more years, $4MM per year)
    • Vanek (2 more years, $7.1MM per year)
    • None of the above -- I'd rather keep each guy than dump him for a pick.

Am I the only one that thinks Sekera does not belong in this poll?

Why not? $2.75MM is a real number. You may think he's worth it, but if we're talking about a rebuild, isn't it legitimate to consider dumping him in favor of someone younger and cheaper? (BTW I'd rather keep him than dump him.)

I'll go on record as saying that I really like Sekera's game this year. I think he and Myers are our two best all-around defensemen. Ehrhoff was brought in to QB the power play, but was never a top-notch defensive defenseman. Regehr, of course, was brought in to be a shut-down physical back-end presence, but brings next-to-nothing offensively. MAG is Ehrhoff lite. Weber is Regehr lite. Leo is a guy who I've never been a fan of (dating back to his pre-Sabres days). McNabb looks like he has the potential to be a top pair d-man, which is really nice to see. But, if I was GM I'd keep Sekera.

BTW - did anyone see this article this AM: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Al3Uip4JjjmZBR3GrB4mVkh7vLYF?slug=nc-cotsonika_buffalo_sabres_struggles_011611

Probably...

If I'm DR today, I'm selling, and it's a fire sale at that, I would entertain offers for Vanek but probably wont pull the trigger unless it works in my favor, we need Roy, Stafford off this team.

Why not? $2.75MM is a real number. You may think he's worth it, but if we're talking about a rebuild, isn't it legitimate to consider dumping him in favor of someone younger and cheaper? (BTW I'd rather keep him than dump him.)

Sekera is not the worst blueliner the Sabres have, he is also not a game changer. The focus should be on adding game changes, fill the rest of the roster in after that is done.

Sekera is not the worst blueliner the Sabres have, he is also not a game changer. The focus should be on adding game changes, fill the rest of the roster in after that is done.

I agree with this. My point is simply that they need to clear cap space in order to add those game-changers. Zach Parise will be a UFA this summer and Shea Weber could be on the market as well. I'm not dying to unload Sekera, but I think the Sabres could put his $2.75MM or Leopold's $3MM, or both, to better use. (I'd rather dump Leopold than Sekera, though).

I agree with this. My point is simply that they need to clear cap space in order to add those game-changers. Zach Parise will be a UFA this summer and Shea Weber could be on the market as well. I'm not dying to unload Sekera, but I think the Sabres could put his $2.75MM or Leopold's $3MM, or both, to better use. (I'd rather dump Leopold than Sekera, though).

You are right. It is all about being positioned to take advantage of opportunities.

I would love to see a Shea Weber on this defense with Regehr, and McNabb. I know you like Parise, I will still hold on to the hope of a Getzlaf. Miller said yesterday that there is no trade that could change that locker room. Throw a Shea Weber and Getzlaf in there and things will change.

I would be talking to Nashville now about Weber. Not offering a trade, just letting them know that if it looks they can't get a deal done the Sabres are willing to give significant compensation for his rights. .

Probably not. (if you read the responses)

I'd get rid of Leopold, Gragnani, Weber, and Ehrhoff before Andrej. A defense looking like this wouldn't bother me.

Myers-Regehr

McNabb-Brennan

Sekera-Finley

Ok but where is your offense with that D-core... Leopold has 16pts -3 (42gms), Ehrhoff 17 -11 (37gms)

Sekera only has 8pts -2 (37gms)

Why should they trade Leopold and Ehrhoff again???

Oh because you want your defense to sit in the penalty box more often because they're tougher than give your offense 33pts since the forwards can't do it.

In 32 games, Boyes has only 3 even strength points! Oof... the Blues front office must be laughing at us for taking him off of their hands last year. Great trade, Darcy.

I saw some ridiculous stat on Boyes recently along the lines of in his last 50 games or so(including the playoffs), he has 1 or 2 ES goals. Just throw him on the "Dominic Moore/Raffi Torres we suck when we come to Buffalo" scrap heap!

Ok but where is your offense with that D-core... Leopold has 16pts -3 (42gms), Ehrhoff 17 -11 (37gms)

Sekera only has 8pts -2 (37gms)

Why should they trade Leopold and Ehrhoff again???

Oh because you want your defense to sit in the penalty box more often because they're tougher than give your offense 33pts since the forwards can't do it.

Well, Tyler Myers is the most offensively gifted Dman on the roster. He should put up 40 pts with ease. I don't have that big a problem with Ehrhoff, I just don't need 4 soft dmen on my roster. I want one guy on the ice at all times that is going to murder anyone that breathes on the goalie. Substitute Ehrhoff or Sekera if it unbunches your panties.

Well, Tyler Myers is the most offensively gifted Dman on the roster. He should put up 40 pts with ease. I don't have that big a problem with Ehrhoff, I just don't need 4 soft dmen on my roster. I want one guy on the ice at all times that is going to murder anyone that breathes on the goalie. Substitute Ehrhoff or Sekera if it unbunches your panties.

I wouldn't underestimate McNabb's offense. He has created some chances in his short time here.

I wouldn't underestimate McNabb's offense. He has created some chances in his short time here.

He probably has the highest offensive ceiling next to Myers. I think Brennan is capable as well. Sekera may never get 50 points but I think 30 is within reason and his skating can't be taught.

Good Poll. Nice discussion.

I voted for an overhaul. I'd rather see the youth lose and get some lumps. Open up some cash flow for the summer. Get some picks for their players. This roster is just not compatible any longer.

"Darcy and Lindy aren't going anywhere"

Trade Miller, Sekera, Stafford, Leopold, and Roy. That's 21 Million in salary. How's that for a start?

I am mixed on Reggie, I think he is slowly coming into his own and he can skate with anyone. You cannot teach speed and he has it. I keep him.

P.S. I voted for the usual suspects in Leopold, Leino, Stafford and Roy and would consider Miller in a heart beat. But am willing to get rid of everyone except McNabb, Meyers, Pommers and Vanek if it meant getting a legit #1 center.

I don't wear panties so they're not bunched as you so childishly put it... what you need to realize is sekera is expendable and will get a better return than Leopold and ehrhoff because of their cap hit... ehrhoff is much better then sekera. Obviously your out of touch. Some of you folk just don't get it.

I don't wear panties so they're not bunched as you so childishly put it... what you need to realize is sekera is expendable and will get a better return than Leopold and ehrhoff because of their cap hit... ehrhoff is much better then sekera. Obviously your out of touch. Some of you folk just don't get it.

Sekera is a $2.75mil cap hit for 3 more years. He got paid $4.25 cash value this season. He gets $3.25 cash value next season, followed by two years at $1.75mil. Sekera's contract is a good deal for the Sabres. I don't think the Sabres can afford to give that contract up.

For all who hate Sekera but love that lunkhead Weber, and don't lie, you're reading this right now, can you finally admit that you were way off? The kid is just bad, plain and simple.

Sekera has been better this year because he stopped rushing the puck. People fancied him as Campbell, but he is playing a style more of Lydman this year. He's still a puss but I admit he has been better overall than last year.

Weber is all screwed up right now. He will be fine if Ruff is gone or if he goes somewhere else. He is a natural agitator and played well when going off instinct, much like McNabb does. Considering he was benched 19 out of the first 20 and only got in because of injury, it is no wonder he doesn't know if he's coming or going at this point. I put him in the category of McCormick and Regehr of guys who have been good soldiers and swallowed Lindy's system this year for "the good of the team". Regehr was a different skater and scary the first 15 games or so and has turned into just another part. Remeber McCormick when he first came up against the Bruins in the playoffs? When he would drop the gloves every 8-10 games? Where is that guy?

If Chicago makes a deal for Roy, watch Weber for a possible inclusion. Weber is Montador with more defensive upside and ruggedness. Teams that know how to play are smart and will cherrypick.

Archived