Who would you unload for draft picks plus their cap slots?

nfreeman

72 members have voted

1. 1. If you were the Sabres' GM, and you were offered a low-2nd-to-low-3rd round pick for any of the following players, would you accept it? Choose as many players as you like.

• Ehrhoff (9 more years after this one, $4MM per year)
    • Leopold (1 more year, $3MM per year)
    • Sekera (3 more years, $2.75MM per year)
    • Miller (2 more years, $6.25MM per year)
    • Leino (5 more years, $4.5MM per year)
    • Pommer (2 more years, $5.3MM per year)
    • Roy (1 more year, $4MM per year)
    • Stafford (3 more years, $4MM per year)
    • Vanek (2 more years, $7.1MM per year)
    • None of the above -- I'd rather keep each guy than dump him for a pick.

I think my most interesting vote was 'yes' to Miller. I'd prefer a trade for a starter with CAP space, but the value of releasing $6.5MM, if even for picks, let me vote "yes". It's not a great year for UFA goalies. Gustavsson intrigues me. I never considered Miller "elite". My analysis was that if you divided the league into thirds, Miller's career has been a "top of the second tier" career. I acknowledge his spectacular run. I'm a fan, not a goaltender coach. My analysis now is that either: 1) Lindy's lost him, or; 2) his team's lost him, or; 3) he's grown tired of Lindy and/or the team, or; 4) the concussion's changed him. There's nothing wrong with being very good. The problem is being paid to be elite. We have other veterans in the same category, of course.

I'd let Leopold and Stafford go, too. With regard to Roy, I'd keep him at $4 million until I had options at center.

It is number 3

OK .. with all sincerity, I am amazed at the knowledge on this board. No one else sees "value" in Miller going primarily because of the CAP space? I looked at it this way - forgetting the timing, could I get better goaltending with $6.5 million per year? I answered 'yes'. Is he worth more than a few picks? Of course, in terms of the players you'd expect. I am belaboring a point ... onward and upward!

I think there is certainly value in moving Miller to clear cap space. Given the constraints added by the OP ( a 2nd or 3rd rd pick) I'd keep Miller. Open it up to other compensation and I am very willing to consider moving him.

I think there is certainly value in moving Miller to clear cap space. Given the constraints added by the OP ( a 2nd or 3rd rd pick) I'd keep Miller. Open it up to other compensation and I am very willing to consider moving him.

Would you take a Top 10 #1 pick for Miller? What if the Ducks called and said they would give you their #1 pick this season with Hiller for Miller and Roy? Would you make the deal? I would.

Would you take a Top 10 #1 pick for Miller? What if the Ducks called and said they would give you their #1 pick this season with Hiller for Miller and Roy? Would you make the deal? I would.

I would make that deal because there's no way Anaheim would offer it. I would let Miller go for a #1 pick alone, but getting a goalie back would be nice. A high second and Hiller would get it done for me. I like a Hiller/Enroth combo.

I wouldn't complain if the Sabres took that trade. And losing our only real center would certainly enhance our draft position (or maybe not given last years' events :ph34r: ).

At this point the only person I want gone is Darcy Regier ( I'm a Ruff fan) and therefore I do not want him making the decision on who to keep or what value they have. Give me a top 3 pick, a new GM or give me a deep run into the playoffs. Keep your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

We may have good reason to stockpile 2nd and 3rd rounders. We currently draft 8th overall and if we could package that pick with a 2nd rounder to move up a few spots, I'd be interested in doing that.

I would make that deal because there's no way Anaheim would offer it. I would let Miller go for a #1 pick alone, but getting a goalie back would be nice. A high second and Hiller would get it done for me. I like a Hiller/Enroth combo.

Think of it from a Ducks perspective they have Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan and can add a Roy and Miller for for a pick and their starting goalie. I think the Ducks would jump at that deal. They get an upgrade at goalie and another 70-80 point $4mil dollar center.

I don't want to be Chicago. It took them almost 10 years of sucking to get Kane.

With six playoff wins in five years, would you agree we're halfway there with arguably the poorest performing team of the lot?

Think of it from a Ducks perspective they have Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan and can add a Roy and Miller for for a pick and their starting goalie. I think the Ducks would jump at that deal. They get an upgrade at goalie and another 70-80 point $4mil dollar center.

I suppose. I guess I just see it as an attempt to unload Roy. But you're probably right. The question I have is how do they fit Miller and Roy on the roster by only moving Hiller? That's a lot of salary only going one way.

I suppose. I guess I just see it as an attempt to unload Roy. But you're probably right. The question I have is how do they fit Miller and Roy on the roster by only moving Hiller? That's a lot of salary only going one way.

They could throw a UFA like Beauchemin the Sabres way to open cap space. The Sabres could then move Beauchemin in a separate deal.

Anaheim has over $5M in cap space available and Millers' cap hit is only about $1M bigger than Hillers'. It wouldn't take much of a player moving back with Hiller to get Roy to fit under their cap.

They could throw a UFA like Beauchemin the Sabres way to open cap space. The Sabres could then move Beauchemin in a separate deal.

Well I'm on board with that then. :thumbsup:

I probably would too, although Hiller having 2 more years at an inflated contract takes some of the shine off. It's subtracting Miller and Roy in exchange for a top-10 draft pick and $5.75MM in cap space.

I guess it really depends on whether you think Miller has lost his mojo for good. If you are really indifferent between Miller and Hiller as your #1 for the next 2 years, then it's a good trade.

I probably would too, although Hiller having 2 more years at an inflated contract takes some of the shine off. It's subtracting Miller and Roy in exchange for a top-10 draft pick and $5.75MM in cap space.

I guess it really depends on whether you think Miller has lost his mojo for good. If you are really indifferent between Miller and Hiller as your #1 for the next 2 years, then it's a good trade.

I'm indifferent. Where do I sign?

Vanek and Poms are our best players. Worth far more than your price. Never mind cap space, who do you get with that space who's better? Hold

Tough to replace Ehrhoff for $4 million or a low second, hold.

Roy, as much as he has sucked this year is good value for his salary. Other GMs know this. I want more than a low second. Hold until he can be packaged for a better asset. But actively work to make that deal.

Stafford is as low as his value has ever been and likely to have some kind of rebound.

Typically I'm not a big believer in selling low. But I'd take a second for him — cause I don't think that's low for his true value. Doubt you'd get it right now.

Miller is in the same boat as Stafford, but is a far better player. He will rebound. At that price, a definite hold.

Leopold and Sekera, sell.

Leino, sell — and send a big tip to the doctor who prescribed the meds to the other GM.

And even though they are outside your parameters, Boyes, Gaustad, Hecht (and any other pending UFA) should be traded ASAP for whatever is offered.

I've never fully understood the concept of trading away proven players, as streaky and overpaid as they might be, for middle round draft picks that might not make it to the NHL.

I suppose the only reason in todays N.H.L. is to clear up cap space. Picks can also be packaged for players or prospects.

I've never fully understood the concept of trading away proven players, as streaky and overpaid as they might be, for middle round draft picks that might not make it to the NHL.

Draft picks are easily packaged and moved. They are a more liquid asset than veteran players in a salary cap world.

Archived