In Terry we Trust

Buffalo Fan

Things are not status quo at 1 Knox Drive for the simple fact that Terry is in charge. Yes, things look bleak for this season, but the past is the past. We haven't even had the 1 year anniversary of Pegula Day and I read a lot of posts acting like these are the darkest ages of the franchise.

I feel sort of like a Flyers fan might feel in a down year. Results aside, they always know that Ed Snider is going to do whatever it takes to fix the problem. I believe that about Terry as well.

This past offseason was the most dinamic in recent memory, and not by accident. I believe there is more of that to come. And if Ruff and Reiger are not the guys, then Terry will thank them for their services and send them on their way. I am more optimistic about the Sabres future than EVER.

"This team cannot be made up of common men"...and it won't be.

Things are not status quo at 1 Knox Drive for the simple fact that Terry is in charge. Yes, things look bleak for this season, but the past is the past. We haven't even had the 1 year anniversary of Pegula Day and I read a lot of posts acting like these are the darkest ages of the franchise.

I feel sort of like a Flyers fan might feel in a down year. Results aside, they always know that Ed Snider is going to do whatever it takes to fix the problem. I believe that about Terry as well.

This past offseason was the most dinamic in recent memory, and not by accident. I believe there is more of that to come. And if Ruff and Reiger are not the guys, then Terry will thank them for their services and send them on their way. I am more optimistic about the Sabres future than EVER.

Outstanding.

While last season was the most dynamic off-season we've seen in a long time, it was also some of the most poorly spent money we've seen in a long time. Exactly what changes do you expect Terry and Co. to make this off-season with the ~$4 mil or so of cap space they'll have to correct this problem? They aren't signing Parise or any other big name free agent with that money. They aren't gonna trade Ville Leino's ridiculous contract to clear up more space. Our only real "tradable" players remain Roy and Stafford, and with Goose/Hecht/Boyes all leaving in UFA (if any are re-signed that $4 mil of cap space decreases), Roy and Adam will be our only two centers... meaning trading Roy is probably a bad idea unless we're getting a center back.

I have faith in Pegula and co, but with the "big splashes" they made last off-season, I don't see there being enough money to make any major changes to this team.

I think the problem most people have right now is we are afraid that Terry is too much of a fan. I hope his business sense is in overdrive and he knows some changes need to be made.

this raises the issue that was debated over in the passion/energy thread, here:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20821-passionenergy/page__st__40__p__347908?do=findComment&comment=347908

what kind of fan might terry be? one that is loyal to the franchise in a somewhat abstract sense and can therefore bring himself to make difficult but necessary decisions like parting with long-time and beloved key employees? or is he one who "believes" in the team as currently constituted -- its GM, its coach, its players -- and therefore can't bring himself to move in a different direction?

I get the sentiment and I'm still a big Pegula believer. He obviously made the big splash this summer in free agency, but it's well past the time for some addition by subtraction. Getting Roy and Stafford off this team needs to happen...yesterday. Are there any fans left who aren't totally done with these two?

...but it is, and without wholesale changes, it will continue to be. Three of the teams first four acquisitions are down right pedestrian. (Boyes, Ehrhoff, Leino) these guys would have been nice additions if a solid core was in place. Unfortunately, the core is rotten. I'd gut it now, but in Pegulaville we don't like to hurt pwayers fewlings. To hear Ted Black say this team is miles ahead of where it was one year ago is laughable. Scoreboard Ted. It looks the same and probably getting worse. You can build a pretty locker room and act like this some sort of landmark but it was merely no more than putting lipstick on a pig.

...but it is, and without wholesale changes, it will continue to be. Three of the teams first four acquisitions are down right pedestrian. (Boyes, Ehrhoff, Leino) these guys would have been nice additions if a solid core was in place. Unfortunately, the core is rotten. I'd gut it now, but in Pegulaville we don't like to hurt pwayers fewlings. To hear Ted Black say this team is miles ahead of where it was one year ago is laughable. Scoreboard Ted. It looks the same and probably getting worse. You can build a pretty locker room and act like this some sort of landmark but it was merely no more than putting lipstick on a pig.

I agree on Boyes, but not on Ehrhoff, and I think the jury is very much out on Leino (although I already think he's better than 3 similarly paid players on the Sabres, i.e. Roy, Stafford and Boyes).

Upgrading the team's facilities, ice surface, coaching staff, AHL arrangements and scouting department are all long-term investments that improve the overall quality of the franchise. Spending money and bringing in the #2 and #3 UFAs on the market is also a long-term investment in the sense that every UFA and his agent now knows that the Sabres are a viable option for a big UFA deal.

TP/TB are going to need to make hard decisions on DR and LR, but whoever the coach and GM are will have a very solid foundation to develop and attract quality players.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'd venture to say Shaone Morrisonn disagrees with you.....

I'd venture to say Shaone Morrisonn disagrees with you.....

If memory serves me correctly, he was a healthy scratch before Pegs took over.

Very well, then Miller and Enroth disagree. :P Completely get your point, ink, and share the same concerns as you and many others... the "team family" atmosphere is awesome for recruiting and keeping people happy, but makes it awfully difficult to be impartial in decision-making when changes are very much needed. I love nfreeman's and Thread Killer's optimism, but I find my own being severely tested by the current season and roster. How I want to love this team and look forward to game nights again!

I agree on Boyes, but not on Ehrhoff, and I think the jury is very much out on Leino (although I already think he's better than 3 similarly paid players on the Sabres, i.e. Roy, Stafford and Boyes).

Upgrading the team's facilities, ice surface, coaching staff, AHL arrangements and scouting department are all long-term investments that improve the overall quality of the franchise. Spending money and bringing in the #2 and #3 UFAs on the market is also a long-term investment in the sense that every UFA and his agent now knows that the Sabres are a viable option for a big UFA deal.

TP/TB are going to need to make hard decisions on DR and LR, but whoever the coach and GM are will have a very solid foundation to develop and attract quality players.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

The dumbest thing they did once they took over was throwing out that line about how they want to win the cup within three years. By giving that type of figure, they unwittingly give the fans the thought that this whole thing will change quickly and immediately (and by change, I mean that the team will be an instant juggernaut). Even if three years is in fact their goal, the people who hear only what they want to hear will attach their own interpretation to that number.

The dumbest thing they did once they took over was throwing out that line about how they want to win the cup within three years. By giving that type of figure, they unwittingly give the fans the thought that this whole thing will change quickly and immediately (and by change, I mean that the team will be an instant juggernaut). Even if three years is in fact their goal, the people who hear only what they want to hear will attach their own interpretation to that number.

I think a Cup within 3 years (i.e. 3 full years of TP owning the team) was and perhaps still is a realistic goal. As much as I detest the current "top 6", I also think that with 2-3 significant roster moves and a couple of less-signficant ones, this team could be a real contender. Right now, the whole is much less than the sum of the parts. With the right changes, the whole could be more than the sum of the parts. And I think that a good GM -- which will be either DR or his replacement -- has a reasonably good shot at being able to make those moves within 3 years.

Everyone's biggest concern seems to be that (i) DR isn't capable of making those moves AND (ii) TP isn't willing to replace DR. I'm not sure about the first one, but I am pretty sure that TP will do what he needs to do regarding DR.

If you don't have good dreams, you have nightmares.

I think the problem most people have right now is we are afraid that Terry is too much of a fan. I hope his business sense is in overdrive and he knows some changes need to be made.

We're all fans too and know changes need to be made, Not a good excuse. I'm guessing he doesn't make rash or emotional decisions. This has to be bothering him.

There was a lot to like with how the team played from January to the playoffs last year and I think too much was taken from that rather than, what I consider, a dismal playoff performance which was actually more indicative of the ability/shortcomings of this team. I cannot believe the same mistake will be made this year. I will lose some confidence, however, if come trade deadline time comes, the Sabres are sellers, and Darcy is still the one pulling the trigger.

I get the sentiment and I'm still a big Pegula believer. He obviously made the big splash this summer in free agency, but it's well past the time for some addition by subtraction. Getting Roy and Stafford off this team needs to happen...yesterday. Are there any fans left who aren't totally done with these two?

Yea and most of us know Stafford never should have been extended this past summer. Yet Lindy and Darcy told us that he "finally" got it. How can we feel good with these two clowns entrusted with this franchise's decisions?

Sorry, Pegula lost me when he said that dumb crap about Lindy. He IS too much of a fan. Or at least, when he bought the team, he was. Now he has the burden of being a man of his word, and to dump Lindy would be going against his promise when he giddily bought his favorite team and entered a world totally foriegn to him. So here we go. I wonder how many years Lindy will coach here before Pegs becomes OK with a large, large number of people hating him.

Looks like Terry wants Yakupov.

That's perfectly fine with me. This team cannot and will not suck forever, if and when it gets bad enough, things will change, and i wouldn't mind reaping the rewards of some high draft picks.

Some might call that a defeatist mentality, i see it as the best way to move on from the failed core group we've had the past 5 years. Buildin for the future.

Terry is a fanboy that obviously drank from the punchbowl that Regier spiked. Team kittens and sunshine has a supporter with heavy pockets. Forget about a 3 year plan. Hell may freeze over before Pegula wakes up and smells what is funky about this team. It would seem from the article that he believes this team has all the pieces in place to make a run. WTF

Archived