Are the Sabres in Crisis?

Ghost of Dwight Drane

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is the team in Crisis right now?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you like to hear from Terry Pegula, live or on camera?

• Yes
    • No/Not Needed

There is a discussion going on whether it is time to start questioning Terry Pegula. So far he has not said anything in public about the team in the past 6 weeks save the remark his daughter could goaltend as well as Miller.

He has however been very public in comments about Penn St., their Hockey team, Football team, choice of coach, arena, etc.

Is everyone happy with Ted Black acting as a mouthpiece and the message he has delivered?

I for one look to Mr. Pegula as Commander in Chief and I do look at this team as being in the middle of a crisis given the resources and players available to them. In a time of crisis, I have always found a good Commander in Chief comes out to give confidence to his people, and explain the situation.

What say everyone?

I personally don't ever want Pegula to be anything but a cheerleader. He's the owner and that's his job. I don't want to know what is going on behind closed doors. It's Black that has to be the hammer in public.

I still think it is WAY too early to criticise anything that is going on with the Sabres under this new regime.

Crisis? What crisis?

With all due respect to Super Tramp, this team is beyond crisis. That said, I don't know exactly what I would like to hear from Pegula at this juncture. I can't believe he isn't just as frustrated as the fan base, if not far more, but I don't expect nor do I think I deserve an explanation from him at this point. He may have very good reasons for not commenting more on the situation. I'm willing to believe he's smart enough to figure it out. The fact that we all want that done yesterday doesn't mean I can't be patient still. What else have I got?

GO SABRES!!!

I personally don't ever want Pegula to be anything but a cheerleader. He's the owner and that's his job. I don't want to know what is going on behind closed doors. It's Black that has to be the hammer in public.

I still think it is WAY too early to criticise anything that is going on with the Sabres under this new regime.

This is so wrong. We already have a GM that wasn't really the GM (Larry Quinn) and a head coach that has zero responsibilities. Can we at least have an owner that acts like an owner? I want Terry Pegula to come out and say he is angry. If he is going to receive the praise of a new rug, some coats of paint and the other comforts afforded to the players than he needs to step up in the heat of bad times and be a real F**king owner and do something.

He's not a child that won the Sabres in a raffle. He needs to start acting like it.

I think this is different. I think Pegula, with his hyper-public coming-out party last year after buying the team, has put himself front and center as the ultimate authority for the entire Sabres organization. When I see or hear Black speak, I don't see him as the person to whom the buck stops - because I know that Pegula is there, and that he owns the team, and that he has had the same love-affair with this team over time that WE have had. I know Black doesn't share the same life-long passion - he's a hired gun.

And I think the reason Pegula and his family became so popular was not simply because he/they were "saving" the team from wallowing in the Golisano swamps, but because he and his family are relatable to the average Sabres fan, and that they clearly are passionate about the team just like, if not more so, than your average Sabres fan. They gladly took on on the role of "owners/fans" and played it up, and it was genuine - and now we all know who it is behind that curtain over there, and we want to hear from Oz directly.

This is so wrong. We already have a GM that wasn't really the GM (Larry Quinn) and a head coach that has zero responsibilities. Can we at least have an owner that acts like an owner? I want Terry Pegula to come out and say he is angry. If he is going to receive the praise of a new rug, some coats of paint and the other comforts afforded to the players than he needs to step up in the heat of bad times and be a real F**king owner and do something.

He's not a child that won the Sabres in a raffle. He needs to start acting like it.

This is wrong on many levels as well. If LQ was the real GM, then why do you want DR gone only 10 months? Our players have tuned out the head coach yet the head coach has zero responcibilities? You can't have it both ways.

I actually want the ownership to be invisible. I just want results.

One question, why are the owners kids on a plane to europe with the team? Homeschoolers just don't know their place.

This is wrong on many levels as well. If LQ was the real GM, then why do you want DR gone only 10 months? Our players have tuned out the head coach yet the head coach has zero responcibilities? You can't have it both ways.

I actually want the ownership to be invisible. I just want results.

One question, why are the owners kids on a plane to europe with the team? Homeschoolers just don't know their place.

I want an owner that holds the entire front office accountable.

I want a GM not afraid to make moves and has a realistic view on his own player's values.

I want a coach that can motivate and coach his players to be better.

Right now I have none of the above. I am angry and frustrated by this. Am I asking too much?

This I have to agree with. Between the Leino signing, the lack of any action to improve a clearly floundering team, and the recent statements from Burke, I am convinced that the only thing LQ and TG did was keep a tight budget. LQ may have intervened here and there (see: Connolly), but overall I think what we have here is a result of Darcy's decision-making.

However, this has no bearing on the question(s). Black is the corporate fellow - and we're tired of being spoken to by corporate fellows. Between Quinn and Golisano getting all corporate on us, and with Wilson and Brandon doing the same for the Bills, people around here like the down-home frankness of Pegula. We want to sit on his knee and be told it'll be all right, maybe he can hand us some cotton candy and muss up our hair.

100% Agreed but Western New Yorkers whine, piss and moan so what else can you expect.

The Buffalo Bills are in a crisis, not the Sabres.

Enough said.

The Bills ARE a crisis...have been for many years and will be for many more years.

The Sabres lost their last two. The Penguins have lost their last four. Are they in a crisis?

Neither are we.

I don't need to hear anything from Pegula. Actions are what I want. I don't need a press conference assuring me he still wants to win a cup.

I want to see Darcy get fired.

I was always worried pegula would be everyones friend and not stand up and let people no he is BOSS. I blame pegula for being scared to fire someone!

The Bills ARE a crisis...have been for many years and will be for many more years.

The Sabres lost their last two. The Penguins have lost their last four. Are they in a crisis?

Neither are we.

So because they have only lost their last two, everything is ok? Comparing us to the Penguins? Really? There is no crisis just a very mediorce team that will probably miss the playoffs.

I want an owner that holds the entire front office accountable.

I want a GM not afraid to make moves and has a realistic view on his own player's values.

I want a coach that can motivate and coach his players to be better.

Right now I have none of the above. I am angry and frustrated by this. Am I asking too much?

Agreed completely, my ownly question is should Pegula make a statement at this point?? Not sure. I don't think one is required, but I do think it would be smart except that if he has nothing new to say. The only time I would say something is if I had made a decision to do something and had the answer ready to go. My perception is the Pegula won't say anything until he is assurred the decision he has made is already assurred of happening. Hence the silence. My suggestion, wait for it.

Crisis means way more than just being a horribly underachieving, banged up, poorly coached team.

Crisis means you have players fighting with each other on the bench, in the locker room, players and coaches sniping at each other in the media, demanding trades, etc.

Crossroads? Maybe. Probably. "Crisis"? No. The team isn't in "crisis", it's just not very good right now.

It is interesting that Linde is trying to get the D to keep jumping up. The problem though is not the D. Yes they are making mistakes but not for lack of effort. The lack of effort is coming from key forwards as everyone has discussed and a lack of talent at center. If the D jumps up then the forwards need to rotate back quickly and they just don't.

Detroit employs a similar system which I believe Ruff is copying. The problem is Datysuk and Zetterberg get back as well as the others. Have you watch the Wings play when they are on their game. It truly is a five man shift, but have you ever seen Stafford hustle back. Linde needs to have these guys run wind sprints in practice and then do some lifting. Forget about what Marcy might or might not do, I say run the Sabres who are not performing practice sprint skating up and down the ice.

Their I said it PRACTICE.

Archived