Are the Sabres in Crisis?

Ghost of Dwight Drane

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is the team in Crisis right now?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you like to hear from Terry Pegula, live or on camera?

• Yes
    • No/Not Needed

He(Pegula) told us when he came in that he had inquired around the league about Regier and Ruff and heard wonderful things about them. I'd love to know who told him, because about three years ago I quit blaming the players. I put it on the two guys whose vision was putting these guys together. Regier's first move under new ownership was Boyes. I googled him that morning and found he won the equivalent of the Lady Bing as a junior. That was a hugh red flag and was all I needed to know that Regier still doesn't get this NHL. Love Gerbe's heart but he signs him for four years? The man is a munchkin on the softest team in the NHL. Stafford is a 6'3" soft player and we sign him based pretty much on half a season of goals and the 30% of them in about 4 games where you had to question the goaltending on many of them.. Gaustad loses weight so he can skate, but now can't win a battle down low: or for that matter, a faceoff last night. Regier's core hasn't gotten it done for years, and he perpetuated his problem since Pegula came in. Regehr has toughness and can/will hit, but his best days are behind him. Like Rivett when we brought him in, he is showing signs of not being able to skate at the NHL level. Last night Ruff, who has no centers, has Adams on the wing and playing with slugs who don't belong in this league.

I would love to here Pegula say that ALL aspects of the organization are under scutiny, starting with the guys who have had 14+ years to put this group together.

He(Pegula) told us when he came in that he had inquired around the league about Regier and Ruff and heard wonderful things about them. I'd love to know who told him, because about three years ago I quit blaming the players.

Maybe he had dinner with Mrs. Regier and Mrs. Ruff ?

You guys are high. This team hasn't been competitive for a whole game more than once in over a month now. If you aren't going to call it a crisis, then call it status quo. Because the wheels are off this train, a blind man can see that.

Is that all you can do? Resort to insults to convey your point?

The Sabres make the playoffs. The Bills have not since '99. That is officially the longest playoff drought in the entire league. That my friend, is a crisis and direct reflection of the ownership and organization.

The Sabres are a completely different story. They are in a funk. A long smelly funk, but definitely not a crisis.

And no. I do not think Mr. Pegula should not make a public statement. He is not team president. He is the owner.

The Sabres make the playoffs. The Bills have not since '99. That is officially the longest playoff drought in the entire league. That my friend, is a crisis and direct reflection of the ownership and organization.

The Sabres are a completely different story. They are in a funk. A long smelly funk, but definitely not a crisis.

And no. I do not think Mr. Pegula should not make a public statement. He is not team president. He is the owner.

I think he should make a public statement at the press conference where he welcomes the new GM.

The Sabres have been in crisis for years. 2011/12 is just the latest chapter.

As for Pegula making a statement I voted yes, but I will now explain what I'd like from him.

Firstly, I don't want another cheerleading session about the goal being the same as when he took over. We all know that.

What I want from him is this ...

I want Mr. Black to schedule a presser then read a prepared statement from Mr. Pegula simply stating that ...

The team is in crisis and Mr. Pegula apologizes to the fans and community for that. From this day forward the Sabres will be taking my statement concerning winning the Stanley Cup seriously. The team wishes to thank Mr. Regier and Mr. Ruff for their years of dedication to the team, but as of this morning they have been relieved of their responsibilities with the team. On an interim basis Mr. Patrick is the new head coach of the Buffalo Sabres. We are finalizing negotiations to hire a General Manager and will be scheduling an introductory meeting shortly. Thank you.

The Sabres have been in crisis for years. 2011/12 is just the latest chapter.

As for Pegula making a statement I voted yes, but I will now explain what I'd like from him.

Firstly, I don't want another cheerleading session about the goal being the same as when he took over. We all know that.

What I want from him is this ...

I want Mr. Black to schedule a presser then read a prepared statement from Mr. Pegula simply stating that ...

The team is in crisis and Mr. Pegula apologizes to the fans and community for that. From this day forward the Sabres will be taking my statement concerning winning the Stanley Cup seriously. The team wishes to thank Mr. Regier and Mr. Ruff for their years of dedication to the team, but as of this morning they have been relieved of their responsibilities with the team. On an interim basis Mr. Patrick is the new head coach of the Buffalo Sabres. We are finalizing negotiations to hire a General Manager and will be scheduling an introductory meeting shortly. Thank you.

I would like this to be the response as well. Although, I admit, I am not sold on Patrick as head coach I still want both Regier and Ruff gone.

I have alot of respect for Lindy Ruff, but it's finally time to move on from him in my opinion.

I think he should make a public statement at the press conference where he welcomes the new GM.

Agreed, and I love the picture you have created that represents you. I believe you younger folks call it an avatar.

Right, we don't need an owner that came in and fired a very popular coach and won multiple Championships.

I am going to be joining your "Team StormCloud" and as such I would like to borrow your little signature line down there.

I would like this to be the response as well. Although, I admit, I am not sold on Patrick as head coach I still want both Regier and Ruff gone.

I have alot of respect for Lindy Ruff, but it's finally time to move on from him in my opinion.

I am going to be joining your "Team StormCloud" and as such I would like to borrow your little signature line down there.

Hence the Interim tag ... just to keep the seat warm.

Welcome aboard ... there is room for everyone on TSC!

The only thing i want him to say on camera is "As of today, Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier were relieved of their duties as head coach and General Manager of this organization".....nuff said

couldn't agree more... the only problem is that pegs buried himself into a corner early on by saying they weren't going anywhere. he's gonna keep them until we lose 50 in a row

Soooooo, where do I buy the rose color glasses?

I voted : No and No.

Crisis? They are at no more of a turning point now than they were at the beginning of the season or will be in five games. I think they are simply a below average, non-playoff team like nearly have the league is unfortunately.

As for Pegula coming out and saying something: no. How often should he speak? Weekly, monthly, after each game? I don't, for a minute, think he has lost interest or is not watching. I prefer he not earn the meddlesome owner reputation.

I voted : No and No.

Crisis? They are at no more of a turning point now than they were at the beginning of the season or will be in five games. I think they are simply a below average, non-playoff team like nearly have the league is unfortunately.

As for Pegula coming out and saying something: no. How often should he speak? Weekly, monthly, after each game? I don't, for a minute, think he has lost interest or is not watching. I prefer he not earn the meddlesome owner reputation.

There is no such thing as a meddlesome owner reputation.

The Buffalo Sabres are owned by "Terry Pegula". He bought them, like you would buy any other product. They belong to him, not to the NHL, not to the city of Buffalo and not to the fans. An owner can do as they dam well please, it's there money they spent, and in Terry's case, since I also work in the energy industry, it was money that came off of the back of his labor and smart investing.

It is interesting that Linde is trying to get the D to keep jumping up. The problem though is not the D. Yes they are making mistakes but not for lack of effort. The lack of effort is coming from key forwards as everyone has discussed and a lack of talent at center. If the D jumps up then the forwards need to rotate back quickly and they just don't.

Detroit employs a similar system which I believe Ruff is copying. The problem is Datysuk and Zetterberg get back as well as the others. Have you watch the Wings play when they are on their game. It truly is a five man shift, but have you ever seen Stafford hustle back. Linde needs to have these guys run wind sprints in practice and then do some lifting. Forget about what Marcy might or might not do, I say run the Sabres who are not performing practice sprint skating up and down the ice.

Their I said it PRACTICE.

Yeah, I watch Detroit play a lot (in Nashville's division) and they do employ a very similar system. The difference, as I see it, is Detroit is one of the best passing teams that I've ever seen. No hesitation, one-touch passes galore. They know exactly where each other is supposed to be and they get the puck off of their sticks quickly. No one plays for Detroit until they know the system well (this is why Detroit so rarely plays rookies and why, for example, Ville didn't see the ice for them when he came over from Finland).

When I watch the Sabres, I see hesitation. We take that extra split second before passing the puck and hesitate to shoot in the offensive zone. Plus (as you pointed out), we don't back check nearly as hard as the Wings... and, of course, we're prone to giveaways whereas the Wings are not... thus maybe the most important difference: Detroit has better talent since they have the scout of scouts: http://en.wikipedia....28ice_hockey%29

Personally, I think the system is okay but we don't have the right guys to play it (and maybe we don't have the right coach to coach it). That I blame on Darcy...

There is no such thing as a meddlesome owner reputation.

The Buffalo Sabres are owned by "Terry Pegula". He bought them, like you would buy any other product. They belong to him, not to the NHL, not to the city of Buffalo and not to the fans. An owner can do as they dam well please, it's there money they spent, and in Terry's case, since I also work in the energy industry, it was money that came off of the back of his labor and smart investing.

So you mean, they can meddle, if they want to, right?

I think this is different. I think Pegula, with his hyper-public coming-out party last year after buying the team, has put himself front and center as the ultimate authority for the entire Sabres organization. When I see or hear Black speak, I don't see him as the person to whom the buck stops - because I know that Pegula is there, and that he owns the team, and that he has had the same love-affair with this team over time that WE have had. I know Black doesn't share the same life-long passion - he's a hired gun.

And I think the reason Pegula and his family became so popular was not simply because he/they were "saving" the team from wallowing in the Golisano swamps, but because he and his family are relatable to the average Sabres fan, and that they clearly are passionate about the team just like, if not more so, than your average Sabres fan. They gladly took on on the role of "owners/fans" and played it up, and it was genuine - and now we all know who it is behind that curtain over there, and we want to hear from Oz directly.

Crisis as defined in the dictionary, NO. A crisis of confidence, YES. This team looks downright dysfunctional, they zig when they should zag, pass when they should shoot, shoot when they should pass.

Yes I want to hear from Pegula not after every game but for the reasons bolded above and because of where we are here right now at this point in the season. Maybe just maybe the players could be inspired by it because it doesn't appear to be happening from coaches.

IMO the coach is totally responsible for the game day mess we see on the ice. Can't he simplify whatever system it is he is running and make these players practice and execute at the basic level for a few key plays. Also you keep the lines and pairings the same(barring injury) so they get used to playing with each other and develop some knowlege and confidence in what their linemates are doing or should be doing. Once some level of regular competence is displayed make changes from there. Lindy appears at a loss on helping this team get better. At no time is that more evident then when they pan to him behind the bench at key points during the game and he has these WTF looks. I do not see a coach that looks like he is into the game or on top of whats's happening instead I see bizarre looking facial expressions that do not instill confidence, very little emotion and most important almost no chatter with his players. Is it because there is nothing to talk about or because nobody's listening ? Either way it is not good.

The Bills ARE a crisis...have been for many years and will be for many more years.

The Sabres lost their last two. The Penguins have lost their last four. Are they in a crisis?

Neither are we.

Um, what's the Penguins record and what is ours?

What's the Penguins payroll and what is ours???

Thanks for responding, Darcy!

This team is in Crisis, because over the past few games they didnot look like a team that was underachieving. They looked liked they belonged with Carolina Edmonton and Winnipeg at the bottom of the league. They also prove they do not belong on the same ice with the likes of the Bruins Flyers or Rangers.

$64,008,442

40GP 21W 15L 4OTL 46 points

so like 2 million less and 5 points more. I fail to see a huge difference in that

Although admittedly, this is a fair response, for Jan. 8th, 2012.

Let's revisit this situation in March, where I'm going to suspect the numbers will be far different given the direction the Sabres are headed in now.

$64,008,442

40GP 21W 15L 4OTL 46 points

so like 2 million less and 5 points more. I fail to see a huge difference in that

Thanks for filling in the details. Maybe sabresnutinphoenix will check things out before stumbling over himself to reply.

Crisis, I wouldn't say that, but its at a point where its getting to the fans. I would probably accept if they were in 6th 7th 8th place even. But they are nearing the bottom of the league and that is unacceptable. No consecutive wins in two months?!?! Also unacceptable.

I am a die hard fan, whenever I have some free time I always try and watch, but I find myself doing other activities now; even the other night for the Winnipeg game, I went out and did some skating and dinner instead of watching, I was fortunate enough to catch our D give the gwg up while at dinner on the bar tv. I was also not even too angry, as it was what I was expecting.

Anybody that has a couple brain cells can see that some overhauling needs to be done, it doesn't need to be a firesafe, but I feel it should be substantial. Darcy is in a tough spot now as our players have much less value than they should to the rest of the league. Granted that's his fault, but still, it makes it hard to wheel and deal when your a bottom feeder. I don't want to give up our prospects, I think it would be foolish, but at this point it almost seems like well have to, just to unload some "core guys"

So not a crisis YET, if we go 2-10 in the next couple of weeks, then it'll be official crisis mode and I will pay my membership dues to team stormcloud :)

Archived