Winter Classic

darksabre

They have play-by-play announcers in video games now? Holy sh&t! I may need to check into this.

On the other hand, if the button sequences were too difficult for me to learn 12 years ago, it's probably worse now.

Man....kids these days. They miss out on the simple things in life, like resting a pitcher of rootbeer and a double of wings on the tabletop Asteroids game as you try to talk your way into getting to second base by the end of the night. Granted I was 10 at the time.....but love know no bounds.

Ryan Callahan: 37 games 131 Hits

Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, Lieno, Boyes, Hecht, Ennis, Adam: 269 Games 149 Hits

Did you notice one of the commentators mentioning that Callahan was a great example of a captain because of his grit and overwhelming competitiveness?

And we have Pominville.

Ryan Callahan accounting for 11 hits today.

Ryan Callahan: 37 games 131 Hits

Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Stafford, Lieno, Boyes, Hecht, Ennis, Adam: 269 Games 149 Hits

Haha. I originally had added "B0ner alert at GoDD's house" to my post but the filter caught it, so I decided to wait and see for myself if you'd show up with some stats.

Did you notice one of the commentators mentioning that Callahan was a great example of a captain because of his grit and overwhelming competitiveness?

And we have Pominville.

Didn't see much.

At least Pominville isn't worthless this year.

Haha. I originally had added "B0ner alert at GoDD's house" to my post but the filter caught it, so I decided to wait and see for myself if you'd show up with some stats.

I can't believe he is on pace with our Top 9 forwards........

Yeah NHL 12 they pronounce it Shuh-hur-uh

Not RJ's "Sahara"

This is how I first heard it pronounced his first game up..... looks like it was the Washington game 11/26, I must have been watching the Caps broadcast. Anyway I always assumed that RJ was saying it wrong.

And we have Pominville.

I caught that, and they're right. Callahan is just a likeable guy. He's everything this team lacks.

I don't know what was up with those hats Oregon was wearing, but the (real) OSU helmets, in black matte, are freaking slick. The game isn't too great so far, though.

The hats Oregon was wearing? I think its called owning nike and doing whatever the hell you want with the school you went to.

Wow. What a finish. Boring first period but after that it was a good game. Mike Rupp first star? Who would've thought that? Briere with a penalty shot with 19 sec left.... Stoned by Lundquist. Nice win by the Rangers ( even though I hate them too). Don't want to see Philly in anymore winter classics for awhile. Get two new teams next year.

What's with the Pennsylvania teams, bring it back to the Ralph where I think the best (may be bias) and largest attended Winter Classic was played.

I haven't got a link but Torts was at his best in the press conference after the game with statements like ( loosely translated ) we had two great refs but terrible officiating and another was , I don't know if they had discussed having a shootout before the game but it sure seemed like the league wanted one. Don't quote me but it was Torts at his classic best.

I didnt catch all of it but i thought the penalty shot was rightly awarded with 19 seconds left... whats else happened?

He talked about his player getting pitchforked with no call and everything going against them as far as the calls in the third. He may have been talking about the dive call against his player when he was hooked but never came out and said it. Said maybe NBC and the league had a conspiracy to have the game go longer. I thought the penalty shot call was good too. I don't have anymore complaints about the officiating than I normally do. Unfortunately it is what it is. Overall I thought it was pretty funny. Bettman has come out and said that there's no conspiracy in the league as long as Buffalo doesn't win the cup...just kidding.

Refs did everything possible to help the Flyers at the end. Very bad officiating.

I haven't got a link but Torts was at his best in the press conference after the game with statements like ( loosely translated ) we had two great refs but terrible officiating and another was , I don't know if they had discussed having a shootout before the game but it sure seemed like the league wanted one. Don't quote me but it was Torts at his classic best.

It sure looked to me like the last ~5mins of the game there was some pretty blatent no-calls that benefitted the flyers (the spearing in the flyers zone) and some sketchy calls like the offsetting minors on the hook with the open net. It appeared at first glance like the bush-league NHL was trying to boost ratings by showcasing overtime and shootout. Too bad the game was played at 3pm on a Monday when most people were working. :doh:

It sure looked to me like the last ~5mins of the game there was some pretty blatent no-calls that benefitted the flyers (the spearing in the flyers zone) and some sketchy calls like the offsetting minors on the hook with the open net. It appeared at first glance like the bush-league NHL was trying to boost ratings by showcasing overtime and shootout. Too bad the game was played at 3pm on a Monday when most people were working. :doh:

I think the majority of the nation was off

i think this whole "winter classic" game already makes the league look bush league. Its a gimmick game that I think is getting overused and losing its luster that it once had. The game should be reserved for the All Star game every couple of years where it won't involve teams playing for real points in the standings, and they can really show off their stars. The game is just an attempt at a ratings boost that I really don't think is attracting any new fans cause the areas that need the boost to attract new fans, are too warm to play an outdoor game (although there are some new synthetic ice surfaces out there that you use real skates on that could be used in warm climates to play outdoors)

Not certain everyone was off, but as an avid hockey fan I forgot about the game and stumbled onto it while flipping channels. just didn't seem like a 'big event'

Same here, everyone i talked to Saturday were talking about how on Sunday they would be flipping around between football games to watch it. On Sunday I went to check the game and couldn't find it, it was then i realised it was being played Monday. I had the day off, bt spent the day doing other things and only checked the game a couple of times. My girlfriend, who is a huge hockey fan (if you can call anyone who watches the Leafs that though) was searching for the remote to change it when I would put it on because she was bored by it.

Refs did everything possible to help the Flyers at the end. Very bad officiating.

My other fantasy team was centrally involved in the end of that game.

I had Briere, Timonen, Callahan and McDonagh all going. I'm in a league that punishes penalties so I got screwed by the call on Callahan. Then McDonagh gets the call and Briere missed the goal. Ugh!!!

The hats Oregon was wearing? I think its called owning nike and doing whatever the hell you want with the school you went to.

Wow....cool. Didn't know that. That makes sense then because they are always flopping around ugly unis.

That's why I love the guy. He is a thinker and he is honest. If he really said all that...you would think a fine is coming. It's one thing to slam the officials, it's another to claim the league may have set up the game a certain way. Crazy......but I love it!

I was going to DVR the game since I did have to work yesterday but I realized I sort of didn't care. The gimmick is wearing off because they're doing one every single year now. Also the NHL always seems to be a little awkward when it comes to trying to put on a "big show" and you have to sit through bad musical performances or embarrassing flops like the Guardian Project thing just because the Super Bowl does stuff like that.

Sabres-Leafs at the Ralph! Gotta do it! In fact Pegula should just do it himself if the league won't.

PTR

I was thinking about that, but the way Sabres-Leafs games are at the F'N Center? the way their fans are so aggressive, and the way fights start before you even get to the arena, and then after games (yet again, after a Leafs game, a buddy and me had to break up a fight about 20 steps outside of the arena). It would be worse than any Bills-Fins/Bills-Jets/Bills-Pats game.

I was thinking about that, but the way Sabres-Leafs games are at the F'N Center? the way their fans are so aggressive, and the way fights start before you even get to the arena, and then after games (yet again, after a Leafs game, a buddy and me had to break up a fight about 20 steps outside of the arena). It would be worse than any Bills-Fins/Bills-Jets/Bills-Pats game.

I fail to see the problem.

Archived