GDT: Sabres at Devils 12/28/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

I didn't watch much of the game, but what little I saw scared me. *Kassian* was standing perfectly still, watching as the puck was being dug out of the corner. Didn't go in and try to help, didn't try to knock someone around ... he just stood there. I kept yelling at the tv, "DON'T BUY INTO THE SYSTEM! GET IN THERE AND GET THE FRICKIN' PUCK!" never moved until the puck came free, then he skated down ice. Couldn't believe my eyes.

That was seriously the most boring game I've seen in ages. NJ created some decent chances and you get the feeling they would have opened it up more ...but with a 3-1 lead they played perfect "protect the lead" hockey. Buffalo has no excuses. They were behind yet still unable to mount any serious pressure or threats in the 3rd. Just a lousy performace imo. This is clearly NOT a playoff caliber team as assembled today. I still can't figure out if it's players or system but I'm leaning towards system. Something isn't working this year with the coaching and style of play. They have zero identity.

Some random thoughts on the game-

-There was actually a decent crowd there last night. Must be the holidays.

-I sat directly behind Brodeur twice. The Sabres have absolutely no presence in front of the net. Everything is to the outside and they do a decent job there, getting to and controlling pucks,.. but what's the point if there is nobody in front to score.

-Roy is a mess.

-Why won't anyone shoot? Several times you could see a clear shooting lane and they chose to pass it.

-Ellis is a hot mess. Boy, he tries hard, but.. He looks like the Tazmanian devil, just a blur with a stick, skate, glove sticking out.

-Kassian is a truck. He may not have been hitting anyone last night, but he gets hit he just doesn't budge.

-I really didn't see a lack of effort last night at the game. I saw a team that just isn't that good and a system that doesn't create all that many chances.

-I'm just glad I was drunk and that we won our 11 o'clock beer league game afterward because that game was a snoozer.

Another disappointing game. Not a lot chances. Two great ones from Pommers were robbed by Brodeur.

The goal by Adam was a good one too in my opinion.

Miller also made some huge saves.

But this is it. We are not acontender and not a playoff contender either.

It is sad but TPeg ( and we the fans) got screwed.

Change the management, let the new management decide if we need a new coach and start fresh.

I have a hunch that despite the rash of injuries, Ted & Pegs are not happy campers right now. I just don't know who has the bullseye on their backs...DR, LR, the players, or all of the above.

+1

I'm waiting for a "State of the Sabres" presser.

I have a hunch that despite the rash of injuries, Ted & Pegs are not happy campers right now. I just don't know who has the bullseye on their backs...DR, LR, the players, or all of the above.

Seeing Matt Ellis on the PP last night convinced me who should have the laser dot on their forehead.

Seeing Matt Ellis on the PP last night convinced me who should have the laser dot on their forehead.

I hear you. I couldn't believe it either. Which players get ice time during a game is one of the few things a coach has control over(its not like football and basketball where they have set plays called during the game).

What if they're just treading water like they are right now?

Well if they are a .500 barely playoff team than as far as I am concerned its sinking not treading. "Do or do not; There is no try."

If T-Pegs and Black are content with letting this team be mediocre (which i highly doubt) than their promise of a cup and winning as a belief were lies. The issue is mediocrity breeds mediocrity and it takes a supreme force of will to change that. Treading water is failure.

All you Tyler Myers haters and the ppl on the "lets trade him" bandwagon, hows this team played without him? How does it play when he's on his game? Game Changers are not worth trading.

Well if they are a .500 barely playoff team than as far as I am concerned its sinking not treading. "Do or do not; There is no try."

If T-Pegs and Black are content with letting this team be mediocre (which i highly doubt) than their promise of a cup and winning as a belief were lies. The issue is mediocrity breeds mediocrity and it takes a supreme force of will to change that. Treading water is failure.

All you Tyler Myers haters and the ppl on the "lets trade him" bandwagon, hows this team played without him? How does it play when he's on his game? Game Changers are not worth trading.

Maybe the last 99 games is "Myers' game" and the first 82 were a fluke?

Stafford, Roy, regehr, miller. They need to go now. Stafford and Roy for having no heart in their games and regehr just can't keep up, he was the reason the first 2 goals against happened, and miller is average if that, and for the amount of money he gets, that's not good enough.

Remind me again why Regehr is in this list? Someone has a few bad plays and they need to go? Frankly I love having Regehr on my team. The other guys sure, whatever, but Regehr has been a welcome addition

Remind me again why Regehr is in this list? Someone has a few bad plays and they need to go? Frankly I love having Regehr on my team. The other guys sure, whatever, but Regehr has been a welcome addition

Don't encourage him. He's a massive troll that should have been banned by now.

I mean consistently.

Look, I don't fault the kid. What is he, only 21? He just got a ton of money thrown at him so it looks like the pressure is on. Both him and the team haven't responded well so far. But playoff time is the real test so we'll see if that fracking $ can buy us a championship.

I concur. Regehr has been solid, both in laying out some good checks and in the defensive zone. He has been a stay-at-home defender and we sorely need his presence. Yes, the puck deflected off a small portion of his skate for the first goal, but it was not like he let the man walk in alone nor did the deflection change the puck's direction so dramatically that it could not have been stopped. On the second goal, he drew two guys to him and then sent the puck toward Sekera. He misplayed it, it was taken over by a NJD and then sent to the front of the net. Sekera is just as much to blame.

Regehr is reliable, dependable, and definitely a guy I want on my team. He isn't afraid to throw down either, even if the situation means he'll get his a$$ kicked (ie the Chara fight).

so you don't count the 42 or so games last season in which Myers turned it up and played great? Interesting.

Except for a bit here and there he has struggled to reach the level of play of his first season. It is possible he may never reach that level consistently. He has the potential to be a really good player but is far from being considered "untouchable."

Archived