Tyler Myers' hit on Zubrus

LGR4GM

I see nothing here that warrants a suspension, but Myers plays for Buffalo, and Ruff rubbed Shanny's nose in it the other day, so I fully expect him to take it out on Myers and give him two games.

That would make him an offender. Therefore simplifing future decisions on whether he can be called a repeat offender. A very slippery slope.

Can you even call a hit initiated with a player's hip dirty? is it possible to deliver a dirty hit with a hip? The hit does kinda look bad from that angle but Zubrus is like bent double and not keeping his head up. I don't think that's Myer's fault at all.

But don't forget: Shanahan played in the same division as the Sabres for a bunch of years he probably still hates them.

The typical blindside stuff they always show involves either a d-man drifting sideways or two players skating in opposite directions towards each other. This one is a clear race for the puck where both guys are very well aware of each other. I'm going to take the exact opposite stance as many people here and say the don't suspend him because he's a Sabre. Shanny will buckle under the threat of even more negative press so soon after the Lucic incident.

Suspended for what? Zubrus touched the puck, Myers took him out. I'd even say that Zubrus turned into the hit at the last second.

That hit was as legal a hit as could be expected in that situation IMO. Myers kept his elbow tight to his body, hit him from in front of him, and did not follow through with the arms. The "targeting the head" was the result of Zubrus changing the point of contact by reaching for the puck and lowering his head. If he doesn't do that, then Myers hits him shoulder to shoulder and everyone is raving what a solid, clean hit that was.

I don't think it was a dirty hit. It was viscious, and the kind of thing that everyone wants to see from Myers, similar to something you would see all the time from Chara. Its one of those hits that look worse because of Myers size, and the fact that Zubrus was bent over a bit

But I would almost guarantee that Shanny might give him a couple games for it and give some excuse like he intended to injure or some other BS. The suspension would be more about getting back at Ruff and the Sabres for the comments made about the non suspension of Lucic then the actual hit. Shanny can turn to the Sabres and shrug his shoulders saying "This is what you wanted, right?"

This is what happens when you speak out against authority most times. I have played in a bunch of rec league ball hockey leagues and my team has made complaints about Refs letting calls go, and physical play, but all that did was blacklisted us with the league and refs

i think myers will get a one game suspension...

#1- Zubrus has hit in the head/neck...his head snapped back.

#2- the GM's just gave shanny new marching orders.

#3- shanny probably feels the sabres tried to embarrass him on the lucic issue and what better way to get even, than by using the new marching orders as cover.

Suspended for what? Zubrus touched the puck, Myers took him out. I'd even say that Zubrus turned into the hit at the last second.

Can you even call a hit initiated with a player's hip dirty? is it possible to deliver a dirty hit with a hip? The hit does kinda look bad from that angle but Zubrus is like bent double and not keeping his head up. I don't think that's Myer's fault at all.

But don't forget: Shanahan played in the same division as the Sabres for a bunch of years he probably still hates them.

It was a headshot if I've ever seen one. Contact started between Myers' shoulder and Zubrus' head (hip?? huh?). I would say it's certainly worthy of a suspension, but I think Shanny may show a little leniency due to what I mentioned before (young player, first time offender, no injury) combined with what someone else mentioned (still taking heat from Lucic situation, might feel as if he "owes" buffalo some leniency).. plus the fact that Myers is a good four inches taller than Zubrus makes it that much more likely for an unintentional headshot to occur.

I say one game.

Myers comes in to set the pick on Zubrus, pushes off expecting Zubrus to prepare to take the hit, but Zubrus doesn't and takes a Myers triceps right in the face.

I think Tyler was definitely trying to light him up, but his size means he's gonna look like he's putting an elbow instead of a shoulder into Zubrus' chest.

I think he gets one game. He didn't lead with the elbow, contact to the head was incidental, Zubrus wasn't hurt, and Myers isn't a repeat offender.

I'm not sure how else Tyler is supposed to put a hit on him without making it look nasty. Zubrus was carrying decent speed.

This is also a hit Chara makes all the time.

And that right there is why he won't didn't get a suspension. They'll basically neuter the few giants that are in the league if they start making that hit illegal.

Edit: I hadn't read through the full thread and seen that Shanny came out with a ruling prior to post.

Archived