GDT: Devils at Sabres 11/16/11 7:30PM

LGR4GM

"The sole purpose for the existence of the Buffalo Sabres is to win the Stanley Cup."

Does this team look like they are going to do that?

No, they don't. But last I looked, Stanley Cups aren't won in November.

I'm not happy when they lose either, but look at some of the stupid comments tonight. Be critical, be a fan but back it up with factual comments.

"these guys are hopeless"

We are near the top of the conference and not playing well. I believe they will gel and be a force but it's still only November.

On a side note, I just saw Myers' hit on Zubrus. Hate to say it but looks like Myers could be sitting again. Nice hit though, aside from the contact with the head first. Hopefully Zubrus leading so low with his head will be a factor but I'm never hopeful when it comes to discipline for the Sabres.

On the coaching side, I'm all for a change. The voice has been the same for too long. Not saying I hate Ruff but it's time.

Let's not dwell on the Sabres being unable to please the spoiled, stupid fan base. No, that's sad.

Instead, let's watch this super cool video of a real robot snake going after a real robot spider!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocyhbij9JYQ

Go back to sleep, hockey fans, Lindy and Darcy have everything under control! :wub: :wub: :wub:

can you explain this? Are you talking offensive upside? Defensive upside? +/- upside? What kind of upside?

edit: this thread is turning into a disaster... and it has nothing to do with the weber/mag discussion.

MAG moves the puck better. He has better body position. He is better at the point on the PP than Roy. He is just better than Weber.

If you don't notice a D-man, he is probably doing the right thing. I haven't noticed MAG for a while and I definitely noticed Weber tonight.

I'm just waiting for that one game where everything seems to come together. Last year we didn't see that game until I'd say that New Year's Day game against Boston with the crazy goals and the SO win.

Hopefully that one game will come sooner than later. Regardless, we are in first place. But I'm still not feeling this group as a team yet.

Maybe when Miller comes back, I don't know. In the mean time, Lindy's got to do something to get these boys going.

I'm just waiting for that one game where everything seems to come together. Last year we didn't see that game until I'd say that New Year's Day game against Boston with the crazy goals and the SO win.

I think this is what everyone is waiting for. On a serious note, when the Sabres do come together (or, if, I guess), they will be a very scary team.

Effete wusses, but scary none-the-less.

The defensive play of this team is just horrible at times.

Forwards unable to finish when opportunities present themselves, but this has been a reccurring theme for this team for a number of years now.

Lack of a sustainable forecheck leading to odd man rushes or worse yet, the opponent sustains a visible, aggressive forecheck on the Sabres, forcing pressure, which in turn creates panick amongst the puck carriers of the Sabres.

Once again, a recurring them with this team for a number of years now.

Something needs to change here, not being able to get 2 lines to sustain much of anything on a consistent level tells me, in any event, that this team is much farther from a Cup run than many of us believe.

Changes need to be made here, it's almost a quarter of a season, we should feel very very fortunate the teams record is what it is because quite honestly, I cannot see them sustaining that win/loss ratio throughout the season.....and forget the playoffs.

I think this is what everyone is waiting for. On a serious note, when the Sabres do come together (or, if, I guess), they will be a very scary team.

I agree with this entire post. :thumbsup:

The defensive play of this team is just horrible at times.

Forwards unable to finish when opportunities present themselves, but this has been a reccurring theme for this team for a number of years now.

Lack of a sustainable forecheck leading to odd man rushes or worse yet, the opponent sustains a visible, aggressive forecheck on the Sabres, forcing pressure, which in turn creates panick amongst the puck carriers of the Sabres.

Once again, a recurring them with this team for a number of years now.

Something needs to change here, not being able to get 2 lines to sustain much of anything on a consistent level tells me, in any event, that this team is much farther from a Cup run than many of us believe.

Changes need to be made here, it's almost a quarter of a season, we should feel very very fortunate the teams record is what it is because quite honestly, I cannot see them sustaining that win/loss ratio throughout the season.....and forget the playoffs.

I agree. The world really is over.

can you explain this? Are you talking offensive upside? Defensive upside? +/- upside? What kind of upside?

Offensive it isn't much of an issue -MAG can QB.

They are different types of players defensively, Gragnani can skate with forwards within an arms length high in the D zone taking away time and space.

Weber has to give time and space because he can't skate with the faster forwards, so he has to give of cushion and time his hits.

The Gragnanis are the harder players to develop. The Webers are easier to find and play a simpler game but they make you pay the price. Gragnani has way more upside but probably the greater potential for washing out and having a career in Europe too.

They are different types of players defensively, Gragnani can skate with forwards within an arms length high in the D zone taking away time and space.

Weber has to give time and space because he can't skate with the faster forwards, so he has to give of cushion and time his hits.

The Gragnanis are the harder players to develop. The Webers are easier to find and play a simpler game but they make you pay the price. Gragnani has way more upside but probably the greater potential for washing out and having a career in Europe too.

Thank you for having the words that I don't right now. I like beer.

I actually like them both for this team. I just don't like the entire D philosophy right now. It seems more like broomball.

Sabres continuous problem is giving up odd-man rushes. NJ had 9 tonight? The Sabres had 3? Not a good ratio to stand by. Before the season began, I truly thought the Sabres had one of the best defenses in hockey. Right now, that is certainly not true. If they begin to develop chemistry, key word is if, Buffalo will have a scary good defense/ team. However, the Sabres are lacking chemistry and multiple line production. Hope this "chemistry" develops quickly, because the Sabres are looking terrible right now. I don't care what their record says...

They have already been scary at times. And not in a good way. Man it would be nice to see this team come together for even one complete game,never mind a stretch of games. Liked Myers game tonight but Roy was noticeably bad with his decisions offensively and just bad defensively.

They have already been scary at times. And not in a good way. Man it would be nice to see this team come together for even one complete game,never mind a stretch of games. Liked Myers game tonight but Roy was noticeably bad with his decisions offensively and just bad defensively.

They got one back by sitting Myers. So, what, that's 22 left to go? Damn, that's not even half the season...THEY CAN DO IT! Lindy needs to sit everyone one game at a time!

IIRC, a few weeks ago on SiriusXM NHL radio, Lindy said something about switching MAG's defensive side this year, which obvious has caused some short-term difficulties. Not sure if that has been brought up in another thread (or if it is even the case), but I could see where that would make a difference for a player.

Oh boy here we go.

That scrum was weak. I don't know if there is a bigger pantywaist in the league than Meyers. What a waste of size. He should have dropped the gloves and pounded Carter.

MYERS :wallbash:

Now if he just gets physical, he will be the man.

Troll

Weber has been screening enroth for 2 goals against. Bench him. Grags can learn, weber made the same mistake twice

Enroth could have looked around Weber on that play. Weber has a good game.

Ruff is a chump.

Troll.

There is 9 F#CKING minutes left!!!!! Why pull ETHRON. You can absolutely score 3 against NJ in 9 F#UCKING minutes!!! Their D sucks. Just look for the rebound. Do they even watch film?!?!?!? Lindy needs to sit!

Because you want to start him on Friday and u know the game is gone. :doh:

You make me sick. I'm benching you forever.

Sabres lost. End of world.

Sabres seemed to miss a few sure goals in this game. I'd like to reunite VAP please.

Adam gave the puck way countless times tonight. He was only there waiting for Roy to get healthy.

Too many:

Bad passes

Giveaways at the blueline.

Time the forwards (yeah u Roy) not picking up the man.

Forecheck playing with themselves in the corner.

Shooting or passing into the oppositions legs. WTF.

Good:

Myers. Myers. And Myers.

A don't quit attitude. If they had another 20 minutes (which they didn't) they could've won.

That was a tough one to get a handle on.

Were we soft? The odd time maybe, but overall we threw a lot of hits and I had some nice patches of sustained effort. We’ve been softer

Were we stupid? We had our moments, but there weren’t that many giveaways , or bad penalties, and open looks. We’ve been sloppier.

Was it Tyler Myers’ fault? Not at all, he bounced back and looked like the $6 million man we all expect him to become.

We got burned pressing (as we inevitably do) on the Clarkson goal, but, overall, the rest of the defence was reasonably stout and effective moving the puck up ice. We allowed just 21 shots.

The power play looked confused. I can’t figure out why a team with five puck-moving defenceman uses a forward at the point. Christian Ehrhoff is being paid $40 million to anchor our power play. Why is he on the second unit? Still one for four ain’t bad

Thomas Vanek didn’t score and neither did Jason Pominville, and Vanek took a stupid penalty (something he is doing too much of). But c’mon they each picked up an assist and were robbed many times by Brodeur.

Roy’s departure did hurt the second line, but Boyes’ arrival helped it and he and Stafford were working hard but were snakebit (or Brodeur-bit).

The Gerbe-Kaleta-Gaustad unit was less effective than usual, but they weren’t bad by any means.

The fourth line would look better on paper with Hecht, Cody and Ennis in the line-up. But Ellis was relentless tonight and Tropp and Adam had their moments.

So why did we lose?

One factor was that old cliché — not playing the full 60 minutes. We had a tremendous second period and a good third despite a letdown after the Elias goal. The opening half of the first was atrocious, or at least the period around the first two goals.

But the main factor was goaltending. I hate the way people pile on the goalie when we lose 3-2 and he either let in one weak one, or failed to make that one crucial big save. That’s going to happen. Your team isn’t going to win many scoring two. Those losses are generally team losses.

Tonight the team scored three and Jhonas did not, to my recollection, make a big save. He let in five goals in 19 shots. Individually none of them was an utter softy. Collectively, they were the biggest single reason we lost. For the first time, he looked his size in the net.

I do not point this out to berate him, only to emphasize the fact that all goalies have these games.

Neither of our goalies have had very many.

I think fans of this team tend to forget that.

Archived