GDT: Devils at Sabres 11/16/11 7:30PM

LGR4GM

The problem is that the guys that the Sabres really need (i.e. top 3-6 forwards who play a tough, physical game AND can score) are rare birds and don't come on the market very often. Unfortunately, when they do (e.g. Mike Richards, Ryan Smyth), the Sabres don't seem to be in the mix.

Ding Ding Ding :clapping:

The only way to have a change in attitude/team mentality is to change the top 6. And those guys you mentioned are coveted because when a team gets one, they usually lock him up pretty quickly. Our favorite team Boston has toughness at the skill positions and from top to bottom.

The problem is that the guys that the Sabres really need (i.e. top 3-6 forwards who play a tough, physical game AND can score) are rare birds and don't come on the market very often. Unfortunately, when they do (e.g. Mike Richards, Ryan Smyth), the Sabres don't seem to be in the mix.

Ding Ding Ding :clapping:

The only way to have a change in attitude/team mentality is to change the top 6. And those guys you mentioned are coveted because when a team gets one, they usually lock him up pretty quickly. Our favorite team Boston has toughness at the skill positions and from top to bottom.

You two are both correct - which is why I still advocate making a play for Iginla. I would move assets, including Ennis, to do it.

Speaking of Stafford, where's he been?

Drinking on King Street with Connolly. Upper body injury is now code for hangover.

You two are both correct - which is why I still advocate making a play for Iginla. I would move assets, including Ennis, to do it.

That's a tough one. Iginla had a great year last year but his numbers are down about 50% so far this year and he'll be 35 next summer. I'd love to see the Sabres get him but Ennis would be a steep price to pay. Also, he makes $7MM, so the Sabres would need to shed some salary in the deal. And of course Calgary has to want to trade him and he has to agree to be traded.

That's a tough one. Iginla had a great year last year but his numbers are down about 50% so far this year and he'll be 35 next summer. I'd love to see the Sabres get him but Ennis would be a steep price to pay. Also, he makes $7MM, so the Sabres would need to shed some salary in the deal. And of course Calgary has to want to trade him and he has to agree to be traded.

details, details. Acquired at the trade dealine, we could cram him in. He is signed for this year and next at 7 mill per - then the contract is up, so the length of contract is not an issue. We have Boyes and Hecht coming off the books next year, which equals his contract and that of a rookie like Kassian. I call that an upgrade.

Why wouldn't he want to come to Hockey Heaven? Especially with good buddy Regehr telling him how nice our new locker rooms are? This is where Pegula's plan of having the nicest facilities in the league come in to play. Who wouldn't want to come to a winning organization that treasures its players and where you have a legitimate shot to put your name on the cup and grab your piece of hockey immortality?

details, details. Acquired at the trade dealine, we could cram him in. He is signed for this year and next at 7 mill per - then the contract is up, so the length of contract is not an issue. We have Boyes and Hecht coming off the books next year, which equals his contract and that of a rookie like Kassian. I call that an upgrade.

Why wouldn't he want to come to Hockey Heaven? Especially with good buddy Regehr telling him how nice our new locker rooms are? This is where Pegula's plan of having the nicest facilities in the league come in to play. Who wouldn't want to come to a winning organization that treasures its players and where you have a legitimate shot to put your name on the cup and grab your piece of hockey immortality?

I don't disagree with any of this. The real question is whether Iggy has anything left, or at least enough to justify paying what is likely to be a pretty high price for him. He didn't do much when the Sabres played Calgary this year.

I don't disagree with any of this. The real question is whether Iggy has anything left, or at least enough to justify paying what is likely to be a pretty high price for him. He didn't do much when the Sabres played Calgary this year.

True. Pretty hard to look good on that Calgary squad this year. He's one of those players who, no matter what happens in the regular season, would BRING IT in the playoffs. I bet he would do more than grab a jersey and look for a ref had Kiprusoff been run over by Lucic.

I'd love to have Iginla on the team, but DR would have to shed 7 mil in cap space to make it happen. Giving up assets wouldn't be a problem for me, but I won't even begin to speculate how big the price would be for a player at Iginla's level and knowing that he is under contract for this year and next.

I'd love to have Iginla on the team, but DR would have to shed 7 mil in cap space to make it happen. Giving up assets wouldn't be a problem for me, but I won't even begin to speculate how big the price would be for a player at Iginla's level and knowing that he is under contract for this year and next.

At the deadline it is doable, and there is no cap in the playoffs. Who would have thought the price for Regher and a second would be a waif center and a D-man who couldn't crack our lineup on a regular basis.

What are you talking about? There was plenty of response; the Devils simply didn't want to fight.

You think running their goalie would have would have changed their minds is that were even true.

So many are willing to sweep this under the rug yet again, you know the Sabres and their morning show already have. How many times does a Sabres player have to be knocked out of the lineup before some are willing to say enough is enough.

Archived