John Vogl following the Ottawa game

HopefulFuture

i must give freeman and, moreover, vogl their due. lindy on GR this morning called his two goalies 1A and 1B.

vogl doesn't have a vendetta; he has a crystal ball.

I listened to the whole thing, including Howard and Jeremy's speculation afterward (they don't know any more than we do; they heard the exact same questions and answers), and came away with this: What the hell else could Ruff say in that situation?

Calling them 1A and 1B still has an order to it.

It doesn't apply here because Miller is (and should be) ranked ahead of Enroth but I'm still waiting for a coach to have a legitimate tie at a position and describe them as "1" and "A".

I am curious as to reasonings as to why Miller should be ranked ahead of Enroth. Not to create a fuss, but as of right now, I put Enroth ahead of Miller based on current play, not only his own, but the team infront of him apparantly responds when he is net as opposed to Miller.

Not to say I wouldn't consider Miller ranked ahead of Enroth on a career scale, given that Miller has much more time in and Enroth is just now starting his at the NHL level, but if Enroth gets the nod in the playoffs and wins a series, I would definitely be looking at the situation much more than now.

But as I said, I am curious as to whether your basing that thought on Miller ahead of Enroth from a career or current perspective.

I am curious as to reasonings as to why Miller should be ranked ahead of Enroth. Not to create a fuss, but as of right now, I put Enroth ahead of Miller based on current play, not only his own, but the team infront of him apparantly responds when he is net as opposed to Miller.

Not to say I wouldn't consider Miller ranked ahead of Enroth on a career scale, given that Miller has much more time in and Enroth is just now starting his at the NHL level, but if Enroth gets the nod in the playoffs and wins a series, I would definitely be looking at the situation much more than now.

But as I said, I am curious as to whether your basing that thought on Miller ahead of Enroth from a career or current perspective.

Career perspective, experience with and performance on the big stage, has fixed holes in his game before etc etc. Basically everything that has been said by people smarter than me in other threads already.

One of the Sabres trainers., Tim macre, was in the office the other day. His wife will be having a child very soon. In fact im on call as we speak for a delivery. We are doing our best to induce tonight as they planned the birth date to not interfere with a game (true dedication). After reading thru this thread, will we see a trainer marriage hangover??? I mean will the players become out of shape!!! Oh no!!! We're screwed. I think what im conveying is that millers marriage is probably not what's causing his mini slump. I think its like a normal sarcadian rhythm, look at Vanek, etc... they all have slumped, we just notice it more at the goalie position. I don't like millers attitude especially the disrespect to the fans after the philly game, but that's my only real quibble with him. Let's hope for a bounceback against a weak team!!

so ... are you saying that vanek and miller are on the same cycle ...?

I listened to the whole thing, including Howard and Jeremy's speculation afterward (they don't know any more than we do; they heard the exact same questions and answers), and came away with this: What the hell else could Ruff say in that situation?

i haven't heard it, but, to your question, there's a lot of things ruff could've said, including something to this effect: "Well, you know, Jonas has given us great efforts in the short time he's been with the club and he makes us real solid, real stable at the backup goalie position -- gives us a lot of comfort there. Ryan's been the main guy for years now ... he's shown he can get the job done at a high level over that time, and I haven't lost sight of that. He's had a lot of success for us and he will continue to a lot of success for us."

i'm not saying that's what he should have said, but he certainly could have said it.

I am curious as to reasonings as to why Miller should be ranked ahead of Enroth.

a proven track record of getting the job done over extended periods of time. in the world where you couldn't shoot a bee-bee past roman checmanek for several months, the ability to do it again and again is something that can't be overlooked.

miller

GP GS MIN W L T OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO

Career 408 402 23921 225 131 1 41 35 1024 2.57 12003 10979 .915 23

enroth

Career 20 18 1125 13 3 0 2 0 46 2.45 560 514 .918 1

(can i call you miss jackson?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uizdKZAGE

Let's put it this way. If sabres announced tomorrow that Enroth was the new starting goalie, because Miller had lost his edge, the odds of the sabres winning the cup would take a significant dive in vegas.

Holy HIPPA in a handbasket!

They say they come in 3's......please....by chance.....did anyone happen to make Rip Simonak a carnitas burrito and then denounce Judaism because of it?

This might be the most interesting post that I completely don't understand. I'm guessing something got deleted? Damn.

Career perspective, experience with and performance on the big stage, has fixed holes in his game before etc etc. Basically everything that has been said by people smarter than me in other threads already.

I happen to agree with you, even though I have put forth the move Miller scenario that does not mean I am not without hesitation of doing so.

With that being said, I would actually rather have both Miller and Enroth for a playoff run this upcoming spring.

It certainly couldn't hurt our chances anymore than the last 2 seasons.

On a side note to all of this, and not to re-hash the Move Miller situation, I have learned a great deal from all of you and have partially reconsidered my position on the subject.

I am now viewing it from a perspective of education, Miller handing down his own experience's and helping young Jhonas along this season in an effort to help him fix his inconsistencies and holes.

The more I listened to a broader spectrum of the fan base, the more convinced I became that keeping Miller atleast through this season has greater potential than just moving him in an effort to "fix" or "attempt to fix" the forward positions.

But, bare in mind, like all of you, I would move him if the "right" deal came along.

I have learned a great deal from all of you and have partially reconsidered my position on the subject.

The more I listened to a broader spectrum of the fan base, the more convinced I became that keeping Miller atleast through this season has greater potential than just moving him in an effort to "fix" or "attempt to fix" the forward positions.

what are you - some sort of reasonable person?

But, bare in mind

titillating.

I happen to agree with you, even though I have put forth the move Miller scenario that does not mean I am not without hesitation of doing so.

With that being said, I would actually rather have both Miller and Enroth for a playoff run this upcoming spring.

On a side note to all of this, and not to re-hash the Move Miller situation, I have learned a great deal from all of you and have partially reconsidered my position on the subject.

I am now viewing it from a perspective of education, Miller handing down his own experience's and helping young Jhonas along this season in an effort to help him fix his inconsistencies and holes.

But, bare in mind, like all of you, I would move him if the "right" deal came along.

But you gave us Historical Records to indicate that Miller can not perform in clutch games? If thats the case, get him out of here ASAP and find some team dumb enough to overlook all the historical records on him!

And why would you want an overrated goalie who folds in clutch games teaching Enroth anything? Shouldn't it be enroth teaching Miller how to play the position?

But you gave us Historical Records to indicate that Miller can not perform in clutch games? If thats the case, get him out of here ASAP and find some team dumb enough to overlook all the historical records on him!

And why would you want an overrated goalie who folds in clutch games teaching Enroth anything? Shouldn't it be enroth teaching Miller how to play the position?

I still firmly believe that.

But it wouldn't matter if Miller was still here or not if Enroth is starting those games, and as I repeatedly stated, Miller's regular season record was one of success. I merely pointed to those clutch games as the area I drew my conclusions from, and I still stand 150% behind that conclusion.

Many teams, by the way, would overlook the historical facts on him and take him on, it's no different than rolling the dice on a boatload of other players with potential to acheive above and beyond what they currently have.

In other words, there are those GM's that would take the risk, that too, has been the record historically in the NHL.

I reconsidered only keeping him as the backup option in those clutch games, hence, the "partially" altered portion of my views.

Next question?

:clapping: 400 posts on mexican food well worth it. I still disagree with you, but your position is totally reasonable.

holy olive branches, batman.

harrington yesterday on the sabres edge blog: Miller declined to speak to the media today. That's a little unusual for him, but there wasn't much new ground to cover anyway after he spoke for six minutes yesterday. And it's not unusual at all in the context of the league. Like starting pitchers in baseball, many NHL goalies don't speak after the morning skate on gameday.

vogl's write-up of the game: On most of Winnipeg's goals, it didn't matter who was in net. The Sabres used Miller, but it could've been Jhonas Enroth, Dominik Hasek or Georges Vezina. The way Buffalo turned over pucks and lost track of players, the chances of anyone stopping the shots were slim.

after the "angry look on his face" and "let the controversy begin" lede, i can't help but read vogl's tone as chastened. did uncle terry have another heart-to-heart talk with members of the BN's editorial board?

harrington yesterday on the sabres edge blog: Miller declined to speak to the media today. That's a little unusual for him, but there wasn't much new ground to cover anyway after he spoke for six minutes yesterday. And it's not unusual at all in the context of the league. Like starting pitchers in baseball, many NHL goalies don't speak after the morning skate on gameday.

vogl's write-up of the game: On most of Winnipeg's goals, it didn't matter who was in net. The Sabres used Miller, but it could've been Jhonas Enroth, Dominik Hasek or Georges Vezina. The way Buffalo turned over pucks and lost track of players, the chances of anyone stopping the shots were slim.

after the "angry look on his face" and "let the controversy begin" lede, i can't help but read vogl's tone as chastened. did uncle terry have another heart-to-heart talk with members of the BN's editorial board?

I noticed this as well, the only conclusion I could draw was that Vogl read all the comments here, and was reeducated.

I think Vogl called it as he saw it, and that's how it was.

Many give the local sports media a difficult time for calling out players, sometimes it's warranted, but more often than not they are merely writing what their view of that particular Buffalo sports moment was.

I think Vogl called it as he saw it, and that's how it was.

Many give the local sports media a difficult time for calling out players, sometimes it's warranted, but more often than not they are merely writing what their view of that particular Buffalo sports moment was.

That's fine for editorials - but news reporters are supposed to report the news, not their opinions.

That's fine for editorials - but news reporters are supposed to report the news, not their opinions.

that ship sailed a while ago insofar as our local beat reporters are concerned - their write-ups have long been replete with editorial commentary.

in truth, i'm not even sure that there was ever an era where sports reporters went about their business a la joe friday, but that expectation is there on my part, just the same.

Archived