I don't think the Sabres should trade Morrisonn...

LabattBlue

The 6th & 7th defenseman that everyone is penciling in are Weber(1 year of NHL experience) and Gragnani(a handful of games), followed by a bunch of prospects on the farm with no NHL experience between them. Simultaneous injuries to any of the 5 more experienced blueliners, and the Sabres could be in a world of hurt.

Also, Morrisonn is not as bad as people make him out to be. I'd put him in Rochester due to the cap issue, and if they need him due to injuries, hope he clears waivers on the way back up.

I think he just wont ever mesh with Lindy and while it would nice to have a vet back up, I'm also certain he wants to get the hell out of here and I dont think that will play well. Kotalik got sent sdown last year and made the most of it helping out young guys. I don't think thats happening with this guy or Kotalik if he were sent down again either. I think he pouts, holds out whatever. In Pegullaville that won't play well.

I absolutely agree that injuries can really cripple a defense, and having Morrison around would be great insurance, because as stated, he is better then most people give him credit for. I believe he led the team or was second in hits and unless we get something worthwhile, we should hang onto this guy. I do think he wants out badly though, so there's no sense keeping someone who isn't happy. Just hate to dump him for basically nothing, then have a injury or two occur. Kotalik is different,because I don't think anybody would want him at that money. I always kinda liked the guy, and for the right money would like to keep him around, but is value is nil right now.

Burying a vet d-man in Rochester is a luxury the Sabres can't afford. Right now they've got over 18M committed to their top seven defensemen. There is no way he'll be a Sabre after this coming season. Let him play for someone else and get something in return in a trade. I'd rather see one of the kids come up and play if injuries hit--I think there is a ton of potential that needs a chance to play. Seeing Gragnani get a chance in the playoffs was one of the best things about last season and he didn't hurt them at all.

I don't think that Morrisonn wants to stay here. He could crack the lineup of several other NHL teams, and he knows that. I'm sure he'd much rather play in the NHL than be the Sabres' insurance. I'd rather have the young guys get called up for injuries, anyways. Another concern I have is that there's a pretty reasonable chance he wouldn't clear waivers, and if that happens the Sabres would be stuck with half of his cap hit (right?).

Edit: James is right on.

Burying a vet d-man in Rochester is a luxury the Sabres can't afford. Right now they've got over 18M committed to their top seven defensemen. There is no way he'll be a Sabre after this coming season. Let him play for someone else and get something in return in a trade. I'd rather see one of the kids come up and play if injuries hit--I think there is a ton of potential that needs a chance to play. Seeing Gragnani get a chance in the playoffs was one of the best things about last season and he didn't hurt them at all.

Actually, they can afford it. ;)

I don't think that Morrisonn wants to stay here. He could crack the lineup of several other NHL teams, and he knows that. I'm sure he'd much rather play in the NHL than be the Sabres' insurance. I'd rather have the young guys get called up for injuries, anyways. Another concern I have is that there's a pretty reasonable chance he wouldn't clear waivers, and if that happens the Sabres would be stuck with half of his cap hit (right?).

Only if he's claimed on re-entry waivers. It will never come to that though. If they ever actually need him, it'll be on an emergency basis where waivers don't apply. Now if he's claimed before ever being sent down, the claiming team picks up the entire salary and cap hit.

He's going to get the chance at other teams' lineups if/when he's sent down. They'll have a chance to pick him up if they want to. And as above, it's full cap hit. I don't think he'll be mad at Buffalo if he ends up in Rochester; Buffalo's opinion will have been validated by 29 other teams at that point.

I also don't think he's quite as bad as some make him out to be.

He's going to get the chance at other teams' lineups if/when he's sent down. They'll have a chance to pick him up if they want to. And as above, it's full cap hit. I don't think he'll be mad at Buffalo if he ends up in Rochester; Buffalo's opinion will have been validated by 29 other teams at that point.

I also don't think he's quite as bad as some make him out to be.

Doesn't this make the case to try to trade him now? Do you see any way he's in the top seven on opening night?

Doesn't this make the case to try to trade him now? Do you see any way he's in the top seven on opening night?

I don't think it makes the case to try to trade him now, because like Blue, my hope is that he clears waivers and is available for a callup if needed. No, I do not think he's in the top seven on opening night. I do think he provides depth.

I don't think it makes the case to try to trade him now, because like Blue, my hope is that he clears waivers and is available for a callup if needed. No, I do not think he's in the top seven on opening night. I do think he provides depth.

Depth, yes.

If called up, will he put forth 110% effort? Probably not.

Based on what? :blink:

1. His play last year. Frequently, didnt seem like he was putting forth much effort. He also only posted 5 points in 62 games - his lowest in the NHL aside from his very first season. I watched him with the Caps, guy seemed to be playing pretty hard for them.

2. If he wasnt fully trying last year, getting sent down this year and getting called back up would likely make him even more disgruntled/disinterested/unenthused.

3. The spelling of his names.

The 6th & 7th defenseman that everyone is penciling in are Weber(1 year of NHL experience) and Gragnani(a handful of games), followed by a bunch of prospects on the farm with no NHL experience between them. Simultaneous injuries to any of the 5 more experienced blueliners, and the Sabres could be in a world of hurt.

Also, Morrisonn is not as bad as people make him out to be. I'd put him in Rochester due to the cap issue, and if they need him due to injuries, hope he clears waivers on the way back up.

If the Sabres lose their top 5 defensemen I don't think it matters who the number 6,7 or 8 defensemen are.

I would prefer that the younger players get a chance at the 6th & 7th spot.

1. His play last year. Frequently, didnt seem like he was putting forth much effort. He also only posted 5 points in 62 games - his lowest in the NHL aside from his very first season. I watched him with the Caps, guy seemed to be playing pretty hard for them.

2. If he wasnt fully trying last year, getting sent down this year and getting called back up would likely make him even more disgruntled/disinterested/unenthused.

3. The spelling of his names.

1 & 2: I don't really care what his point total was; that's not his role here. This isn't Washington. And I would hope a pro has more than that in him.

3: Agreed.

If the Sabres lose their top 5 defensemen I don't think it matters who the number 6,7 or 8 defensemen are.

I would prefer that the younger players get a chance at the 6th & 7th spot.

DeLuca, I know you were here in '06 and I know you know that D depth was the difference.

Archived