Training Camp 2011

korab rules

I heard that the Sabres brought in Joe Finley for camp.

Guy was a 1st rounder for the Caps in 2005, and is a massive 6'8 and 240 lbs.

I think he has had injury problems throughout his college/ECHL/AHL travels though, but wow, what a big guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Finley

A late blooming Chara? :thumbsup:

John Vogl Sez: Mark Pysyk, Alex Lepokowski, Dan Catenacci, and Sundher among others...sent back to junior today...

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/09/sabres-send-10-players-back-to-juniors.html

Pretty much nothing to see there. I'm kind of surprised they didn't give Pysyk one game though. Then again, there's a bit of a log jam at D now and the signed kids deserve their shot first.

FWIW TSN.ca's Season Projections for Buffalo Sabres by league wide rank

They give us only 5 20 goal scorers.

Rank Name GP G A P

24 Derek Roy 73 22 48 70

39 Thomas Vanek 76 31 34 65

69 Drew Stafford 70 25 29 54

87 Brad Boyes 82 19 33 52

91 Jason Pominville 77 22 29 51

120 Christian Ehrhoff 79 13 34 47

122 Tyler Ennis 80 19 28 47

133 Ville Leino 71 16 29 45

170 Nathan Gerbe 72 21 20 41

233 Tyler Myers 81 10 26 36

255 Jochen Hecht 71 15 18 33

283 Jordan Leopold 78 11 20 31

Hmmm...

Other than Gerbe that's a pretty conservative bunch of numbers.

Predicting regression for just about everybody, Roy with a goal total significantly below his norm, Poms with his worst season ever...

I thought we got better this season.

They tend to be conservative...but they look pretty fair.

Pominville coming off an injury.

I think 52 points for Boyes would be a very good year.

3 D men with double digit goals would be good too.

36 goals from half the D isn't a bad number.

If the other 4 D men can chip in 4 goals apiece that is 50.

Last year the D scored 39 goals.

Agree totally on the overall numbers, just think it's likely they will be more spread out.

More or less they predicted most Sabres will have average at best seasons by their standards, other than Gerbe.

I think it's more likely somebody (like Boyes, say, or Leopold) will get significantly less.

Others (Ennis? Sekera?) will break out.

I predict right here that at least one of Roy, Poms, or Vanek will have career year.

It's a statistical probability for established players in their skill and age bracket.

It's equally likely somebody else like Staff or Ehrhoff to make up for it by falling back.

Personally I think we're trending in the right direction and more guys will grow than fade.

Predictions are supposed to be thought-provoking.

Those were incredibly dull.

FWIW TSN.ca's Season Projections for Buffalo Sabres by league wide rank

They give us only 5 20 goal scorers.

Rank Name GP G A P

24 Derek Roy 73 22 48 70

39 Thomas Vanek 76 31 34 65

69 Drew Stafford 70 25 29 54

87 Brad Boyes 82 19 33 52

91 Jason Pominville 77 22 29 51

120 Christian Ehrhoff 79 13 34 47

122 Tyler Ennis 80 19 28 47

133 Ville Leino 71 16 29 45

170 Nathan Gerbe 72 21 20 41

233 Tyler Myers 81 10 26 36

255 Jochen Hecht 71 15 18 33

283 Jordan Leopold 78 11 20 31

These numbers are not correct. Myers goes down in points? not likely. So Derek Roy won't be keeping up his point a game pace this year... Vanek actually goes down even though he will be on a more talented line? Pommers is going down again even though he is very consistent with about 65pts a year? In what weird world does gerbe have 6 less points than Ennis? Thats crazy especially when you put stafford and Leino on the same line as him and even then their numbers went down from last year as well.

These are really bad predictions and do not take into account anything. I find it hard to believe that with the loss of TC and Mike Grier and Niedermyer it spells a drop in production from all of our forwards except Roy who was injured.... These predictions our unrealistic.

I'll make my predictions early this year and in April we can look back and see how I did:

Roy - 81pts

Vanek - 76pts

Pommers - 67pts

Leino - 61pts

Ennis - 64pts

Stafford - 68pts

Gerbe - 41pts sounds about right.

Ehrhoff - 47 pts sounds pretty close

Myers - 45pts

I'll make my predictions early this year and in April we can look back and see how I did:

Roy - 81pts

Vanek - 76pts

Pommers - 67pts

Leino - 61pts

Ennis - 64pts

Stafford - 68pts

Myers - 45pts

Just a guess on my part, but I would bet there aren't too many teams in the last decade(maybe none) that have had 6 forwards over 60 points, including one over 75 and another over 80.

These numbers are not correct. Myers goes down in points? not likely. So Derek Roy won't be keeping up his point a game pace this year... Vanek actually goes down even though he will be on a more talented line? Pommers is going down again even though he is very consistent with about 65pts a year? In what weird world does gerbe have 6 less points than Ennis? Thats crazy especially when you put stafford and Leino on the same line as him and even then their numbers went down from last year as well.

These are really bad predictions and do not take into account anything. I find it hard to believe that with the loss of TC and Mike Grier and Niedermyer it spells a drop in production from all of our forwards except Roy who was injured.... These predictions our unrealistic.

Roy - 81pts

Vanek - 76pts

Pommers - 67pts

Leino - 61pts

Ennis - 64pts

Stafford - 68pts

Myers - 45pts

Love the optimism, and I find the projections a bit conservative too, but quite a bit of this post is from outer space.

Vanek has been skating so far this year with Roy and Pommer. He's been with Roy through much of his career (including the year before last when he put up a whopping 53 points) and has been tried with Pommer multiple times without success. There is no reason to assume that line will boost Vanek's production this year.

Pommer is not a "consistent 65 point guy." Anyone with eyes can look at his career stats and see that this is not the case and that his production has been on a steady decline.

Ennis had 18 points more than Gerbe last year -- so projecting him to have 6 more than Gerbe this year isn't exactly from an alien world.

Stafford had a career-high 52 pts last year. Predicting a 31% increase isn't realistic.

Love the optimism, and I find the projections a bit conservative too, but quite a bit of this post is from outer space.

Vanek has been skating so far this year with Roy and Pommer. He's been with Roy through much of his career (including the year before last when he put up a whopping 53 points) and has been tried with Pommer multiple times without success. There is no reason to assume that line will boost Vanek's production this year.

Pommer is not a "consistent 65 point guy." Anyone with eyes can look at his career stats and see that this is not the case and that his production has been on a steady decline.

Ennis had 18 points more than Gerbe last year -- so projecting him to have 6 more than Gerbe this year isn't exactly from an alien world.

Stafford had a career-high 52 pts last year. Predicting a 31% increase isn't realistic.

Vanek and Roy I think will have a different game this year and it will work great together. Roy was on a pt a game pace last season and Vanek still has not had his year although I think this year we should see it. I mean that year where he dominates but I think with the depth the sabres have he won't be scene as our only scoring threat and therefore he will thrive.

Pommers is a 65pt a year average. If you take out his rookie year he has 68pts, 80pts, 66pts, 62 pts, 52pts so IDK how you don't think considering he was injured last year that he wont in a 80-82 game season regain his average of 65pts? If he matched last years pace and played 82 games he would hit 58pts so another 5-7 is not out of the question.

Ennis has 18 more points last year without a center and now he has one but his production goes down and he is matching gerbe? Nope, don't believe it at all. Btw the pp and having Leino, Ennis will be at least 18points above gerbe so at the least that puts him at 59pts

Stafford had a career high of 52pts in 62 games so if you add in the other 20 games there is your 31%... according to my math if Stafford matches last years production through 82games he would get to 68.77pts so we can round down to 68.

not outer space at all. I will make 1 concession that these numbers are based off a 80-82 game season so injuries would lower them and someone will get injured.

Just a guess on my part, but I would bet there aren't too many teams in the last decade(maybe none) that have had 6 forwards over 60 points, including one over 75 and another over 80.

06-07 Buffalo Sabres are one of those teams:

Drury: 69pts

Afinogenov: 61pts

Pommers: 68pts

Roy: 63pts

Vanek: 84pts (over75)

Briere: 95pts(over 80)

06-07 Buffalo Sabres are one of those teams:

Drury: 69pts

Afinogenov: 61pts

Pommers: 68pts

Roy: 63pts

Vanek: 84pts (over75)

Briere: 95pts(over 80)

Like I said, there may be a couple of examples, but they would be the exception rather than the norm. Keep in mind that 2 years of post lockout wide open hockey, is not the same game that is being played today.

Archived