Training Camp 2011

korab rules

I think this opening line setup gives you a good idea where Lindy rates his players.

If Leino pans out; that could be a scary good line.

Gerbe goes on an energy line so loses out a bit on the scoring front.

Kotalik & Morrisonn on AHL lines

Regehr with J G-L, interesting

Buf News first practice lines

Group A

Forwards

Tyler Ennis-Ville Leino-Drew Stafford

Nathan Gerbe-Paul Gaustad-Patrick Kaleta

Marcus Foligno-Luke Adam-Zack Kassian

Derek Whitmore-Cody McCormick-Corey Tropp

Defense

Andrej Sekera-Tyler Myers

Mike Weber-Marc-Andre Gragnani

T.J. Brennan-Alex Biega

Goaltenders

Jhonas Enroth

Drew MacIntyre

Group B

Forwards

Thomas Vanek-Derek Roy-Jason Pominville

Michael Ryan-Travis Turnbull-Ales Kotalik

Riley Boychuk-Daniel Catenacci-Jacob Lagace

Cedrick Henley-Steven Shipley-Jonathan Parker

Defense

Jordan Leopold-Christian Ehrhoff

Robyn Regehr-Jerome Gauthier-Leduc

Nick Crawford-Corey Fienhage

Goaltenders

David Leggio

Nathan Lieuwen

Ryan Rondeau

Group C

Forwards

Matt Ellis-Jochen Hecht-Brad Boyes

Colin Stuart-Phil Varone-Shawn Szydlowski

Gregg Sutch-Kevin Sundher-Steven Beyers

(Empty)-Mark Voakes-Maxime Legault

Defense

Shaone Morrisonn-Dennis Persson

Drew Schiesetel-Joe Finley

Brayden McNabb-Mark Pysyk

Alex Lepkowski-Matt MacKenzie

Goaltenders

Ryan Miller

Jeff Jakaitis

69 players at camp. They all got rotated around so much. No way to see any pairings developing. Lindy seemed pretty high on Leino though.

Leino is going to be a good center for us. A lot of people always forget he is a NATURAL CENTER. He even mentioned the Philly staff would have liked to use him there but they had so many centers he had to play wing.

If Roy and Van can learn to take turns carrying the puck, along with Pommer on that line....that is a very dangerous top line. Ennis Leino Stafford has a lot of capability with Ennis and Leino being exceptionally skilled puck handlers creating space and Drew continuing to go hard to the net.

Teppo Asst Coach

Late in Teppo Numminen's playing career, the Sabres looked at him as another coach on the ice, a wise veteran who could teach on the fly.

Numminen's career as an actual coach began today when the Sabres started training camp. Coach Lindy Ruff has hired Numminen to be the third assistant on his staff, joining James Patrick and Kevyn Adams.

"It was exciting," Numminen said in Northtown Center following the team's first workouts. "It’s been in the back of my mind. When I was playing when I was young, I said that’s the last thing I want to do is be a coach. My dad was a coach, a [Finnish] national team coach, so as a family I grew up there with all the good times and bad times. That was never my option, then the last 10 years when I was playing I wanted to do something, so coaching was coming up in my thoughts.

"Retiring two years ago and then realizing that I still care about the game and it’s still a passion for myself and I couldn’t get rid of the game, so then just a great opportunity came, and I’m just excited that it worked out."

During games, Numminen will be in the press box with a headset talking to his fellow assistants stationed on the bench.

"He’s going to give us a little bit of a European flair," Ruff said. "He was a consultant at the world championships for the Finns, who won last year. He’s going to be a good addition."

---John Vogl

This should help Ville Leino to have a fellow Finn to talk with and eventually Armia.

Teppo Asst Coach

Late in Teppo Numminen's playing career, the Sabres looked at him as another coach on the ice, a wise veteran who could teach on the fly.

Numminen's career as an actual coach began today when the Sabres started training camp. Coach Lindy Ruff has hired Numminen to be the third assistant on his staff, joining James Patrick and Kevyn Adams.

"It was exciting," Numminen said in Northtown Center following the team's first workouts. "It’s been in the back of my mind. When I was playing when I was young, I said that’s the last thing I want to do is be a coach. My dad was a coach, a [Finnish] national team coach, so as a family I grew up there with all the good times and bad times. That was never my option, then the last 10 years when I was playing I wanted to do something, so coaching was coming up in my thoughts.

"Retiring two years ago and then realizing that I still care about the game and it’s still a passion for myself and I couldn’t get rid of the game, so then just a great opportunity came, and I’m just excited that it worked out."

During games, Numminen will be in the press box with a headset talking to his fellow assistants stationed on the bench.

"He’s going to give us a little bit of a European flair," Ruff said. "He was a consultant at the world championships for the Finns, who won last year. He’s going to be a good addition."

---John Vogl

great to hear. really

Teppo was an assistant coach for training camp today.

Teppo Asst Coach

---John Vogl

chz, I think this deserves its own thread. It should not get lost in the Training Camp thread as to me it's a major announcement.

This is extremely exciting, and I'm so glad to have Teppo back with the organization, and I think he will make an excellent coach. Granted, I'm basing that on the way he played the game and how calm he was on the ice in any situation. So, I expect that would translate very well to coaching. Even otherwise, it appears that the Sabres are bringing more Europeans to the team and specifically Finns with Leino and the drafting of Armia, so having Teppo as a coach will certainly help out a lot, especially for Armia as he transitions to North America and the NHL. Really exciting news as I was always a big Teppo fan.

By the way, I was watching a youtube clip of clutch Sabres goals during the 2005-2007 seasons. Teppo seemed to be on the ice for just about every clutch/important goal during both playoff runs. I always thought he was a very underrated player.

Guy i am very excited about is Phil Varone. I know, that unlike Luke Adam and some others, he's not exactly fighting out there for a Sabres spot, but for spot in the organization to play in Rochester. This kid is a great skater and had loads of potential as a younger kid. I believe he was a 5th round pick of the Flames but never got signed because he suffered an injury. People were afraid he wouldn't have the same type of speed. Their loss, our gain?

We got him in for tryout during developmental camp and i've heard nothing but good things bout him. He also played very well in the Travese City tournament, including in the final game he got several solid reviews. In the OHL, he was a scoring machine. Despite playing on lower lines or less minutes then other better player on his team, he always scored on the scoreboard. I saw him play once in Erie, and some fans told me he's their Chris Drury, because of his clutch performances.

In 2009, in 14 playoff games for the London Knights, he scored 10 goals and 9 assists.

Last year, in a 7 game first round series loss to Windsor, Varone scored 3g and 10a, single handily keeping his team in it against one of the most elite teams in the OHL last year.

He's one of the biggest things i will be looking for in preseason/camp for us, and if he impresses, i can't wait to see what he can do in Rochester.

Teppo Asst Coach

---John Vogl

This should help Ville Leino to have a fellow Finn to talk with and eventually Armia.

Sh!t. I should start my own blog.

Archived