The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

There are less and less of them. It helps them to expand and also to add new markets. 

Craft beer is behaving in a manner consistent with how markets generally behave, IMO.

There's also a winnowing that is coming, I think. New craft breweries have been opening at a fairly remarkable rate over the last several years. The growth of the market segment for craft has leveled off. Something's gotta give.

On a whim, purchased a Fuller's ESB as part of a Wegmans craft pack (which is arguably the greatest creation in modern grocery shopping history)...and wow, I don't know what my expectations were, but this greatly exceeded them. I don't have the pallet/knowledge to write a Weave-like description, but man, what a beer! I'm sad I only had the one bottle.

On a whim, purchased a Fuller's ESB as part of a Wegmans craft pack (which is arguably the greatest creation in modern grocery shopping history)...and wow, I don't know what my expectations were, but this greatly exceeded them. I don't have the pallet/knowledge to write a Weave-like description, but man, what a beer! I'm sad I only had the one bottle.

The make your own six pack thing raises a problem for me. A-holes, at more than one of my local markets, tend to expand what goes in them well beyond the clearly marked bounds of the loose bottles there for that purpose and raid sixes off the shelves, and worse. My wife came home with a 12 once, two missing. Often you'll find five or fewer beers to a six on the shelves. This has to be a pain for the store and the beverage distributor, since both are likely required to keep track of where these things go....

It's a brilliant idea, just wish people didn't suck so hard.

The make your own six pack thing raises a problem for me. A-holes, at more than one of my local markets, tend to expand what goes in them well beyond the clearly marked bounds of the loose bottles there for that purpose and raid sixes off the shelves, and worse. My wife came home with a 12 once, two missing. Often you'll find five or fewer beers to a six on the shelves. This has to be a pain for the store and the beverage distributor, since both are likely required to keep track of where these things go....

It's a brilliant idea, just wish people didn't suck so hard.

I've talked to some beer vendors and they've told me to just take whatever. Along the lines of "People are going to do it anyway, we can't stop it, so feel free we don't care." 

Now to contract my previous beer, one I dislike: Victory Berliner Weisse. I generally love Victory's offerings, so I took a flyer on this...but man, way way way too sour for my taste. Every sip I'm making the face that people who don't like beer but pretend they do make when drinking.

Also a face deployed by many beer aficionados who insist they love the Gose style.

Hey Oh!

There is definitely a thing to "like" the new style that came out. A couple years ago everyone busted my balls around here because I don't care for most IPA's. I stuck to my guns. I still don't like IPA's. Gose, really are dependent on the gose. Some do taste like sweat. 

There is definitely a thing to "like" the new style that came out. A couple years ago everyone busted my balls around here because I don't care for most IPA's. I stuck to my guns. I still don't like IPA's. Gose, really are dependent on the gose. Some do taste like sweat. 

Couple years ago and IPAs?

Anyway. Good for you.

love the IPA style. I think it is objectively delicious. (However, I will note: I didn't actually take to it until I was a little older -- maybe those taste buds needed to wear down a bit?)

The thing that I fell into was only drinking IPAs because IPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPA.

One evening, I was like, I'm gonna order a damn brown ale. And it was delicious. I was reminded: Browns are my fave. Still are!

Couple years ago and IPAs?

Anyway. Good for you.

love the IPA style. I think it is objectively delicious. (However, I will note: I didn't actually take to it until I was a little older -- maybe those taste buds needed to wear down a bit?)

The thing that I fell into was only drinking IPAs because IPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPAIPA.

One evening, I was like, I'm gonna order a damn brown ale. And it was delicious. I was reminded: Browns are my fave. Still are!

I don't like IPA's because they tend to be dry. I don't know of another way to describe it. 

Might be the astringency?

I assume they are suppose to be? If that is the case, it just isn't a style I care for. Double IPA's Red ales, Bourbon Barrel Aged, Stouts, Porters, Wheats are my comfort zone. Of course with football season here, I will be drinking some good old light beer. 

I assume they are suppose to be? If that is the case, it just isn't a style I care for. Double IPA's Red ales, Bourbon Barrel Aged, Stouts, Porters, Wheats are my comfort zone. Of course with football season here, I will be drinking some good old light beer. 

I'm with you on the red ales, bourbon barrel aged, porters, wheats along with stouts and brown ales. Just bought a 12 pack of Genny cream for the game tomorrow though!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed a kolsch flavored with orange and vanilla beans the other day. It's called the Creamsikolsch, which I got a kick out of.

It was something new. Big flavor for a very drinkable, summer beer. 4.9Abv, it went down easy. Glad I wasn't in the mood for an IPA and ordered it. Probably wouldn't have if it weren't for the name, either!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.