What (non player) on ice changes would you like to see?

Weave

Now that most of the player movement is done, let's talk about the game as it's played.

I want so see Jason Pomminstein NOT on the point on powerplays. I think he and Connolly were horrible about blue line decisions during PP's. Put Pommer lower in the zone and keep the defencemen on the point. No Connolly or Pommer on the point should cut in half the number of short handed goals against this year, right? (I know, it's hyperbole. you get my point)

I didn't care for using the defensemen routinely to gain the O zone either. Caused too many odd man rushes back at Miller. I realize that Ville Leino's succes at center is going to have alot to do with whether Lindy gets away from this tactic. Myers is effective here, I don't want to lose that. But I'm not fond of the second wave strategy used *regularly* to gain the zone.

I want to see our backup goaltender play every 4th game in the regular season. Period. No excuses. 60 games is probably about the right workload for Ryan Miller. And any less for Enroth hurts his development too.

I want to see Paul Gaustad removed from both of the powerplay units. I know faceoff wins are important to puck possession time but, crikey, the guys' best year was 36 points. He has no business spending any more than token minutes on the powerplay.

Now that most of the player movement is done, let's talk about the game as it's played.

I want so see Jason Pomminstein NOT on the point on powerplays. I think he and Connolly were horrible about blue line decisions during PP's. Put Pommer lower in the zone and keep the defencemen on the point. No Connolly or Pommer on the point should cut in half the number of short handed goals against this year, right? (I know, it's hyperbole. you get my point)

I didn't care for using the defensemen routinely to gain the O zone either. Caused too many odd man rushes back at Miller. I realize that Ville Leino's succes at center is going to have alot to do with whether Lindy gets away from this tactic. Myers is effective here, I don't want to lose that. But I'm not fond of the second wave strategy used *regularly* to gain the zone.

I want to see our backup goaltender play every 4th game in the regular season. Period. No excuses. 60 games is probably about the right workload for Ryan Miller. And any less for Enroth hurts his development too.

I want to see Paul Gaustad removed from both of the powerplay units. I know faceoff wins are important to puck possession time but, crikey, the guys' best year was 36 points. He has no business spending any more than token minutes on the powerplay.

#1 - Agree, and Ehrhoff should solve that problem.

#2 - I don't want to lose the tactic, but I would like to see a little more dump and grind.

#3 - Yes Yes Yes Yes YES. This is a MUST BE, not a should be.

#4 - Agreed, it's not a power play if you win the draw and then have to play 4-on-4 hockey.

I would also like to see better blue line changes in the second period. I am (almost) convinced that this is the genesis of our 2nd period woes.

I agree with ALMOST everything you've got here. I also want to stress that I cannot agree more on the goaltending point you made.

Where I disagree. Aside from Vanek, Goose was the only player that would stand in front of the net on the PP, and he won faceoffs. Did he score a ton of goals? no, not really. But unless we have someone who can also consistently win faceoffs, and have someone else to stand in front of the net, I think we're going to see him there. (I guess this is more of a I agree with you, but I don't think it'll happen).

I would like to see more of the rolling lines like we used to see, and I think we will be able to do that efficiently this season, like in '05-'07. Even if we don't make any more moves, we have playmakers on every line (maybe not so much on the third, but Cody can get fancy time to time). When we would roll four lines, it gave defenses fits! I would love to see that again.

Gaustad was never really on a regular PP unit....But with Roy, Hecht, Pomminstein, and Connolly in bandages. It was him, Mike Grier or skate Adams or Mancari.

Agreed with all points. I think with Ehrhoff on the #1 unit, we won't have to worry about Pominville (or any forward) playing the point -- Myers and Ehrhoff, imo, should be the two point men... with Gragnani and maybe Regehr on the #2 unit.

I want to see Enroth get a lot of playing time, but I think it's somewhat relative to how the team is doing. Early on, every 4th game is fine, but I just mean if we get to December and we're in roughly the same position we were last season, you gotta go with your #1 guy a little more often imo. Unless, of course, Enroth continues to play incredibly well -- at that point, maybe we'll have a little goaltending controversy on our hands (a REAL goaltending controversy, not like end of last season lol).

I HATE Paul Gaustad. If he's on a PP unit, his responsibilities should be a.) WIN THE DRAW, b.) B-LINE TO BENCH. I can hardly stand to watch the guy play anymore, let alone rack up PP minutes. If there's one player more worthless to the team than Connolly was, surely it is Gaustad.

Agreed with all points. I think with Ehrhoff on the #1 unit, we won't have to worry about Pominville (or any forward) playing the point -- Myers and Ehrhoff, imo, should be the two point men... with Gragnani and maybe Regehr on the #2 unit.

You don't want to see Regehr on the PP....that's just not his game. He won't be unless someone is in bandages.

I want to see Enroth get a lot of playing time, but I think it's somewhat relative to how the team is doing. Early on, every 4th game is fine, but I just mean if we get to December and we're in roughly the same position we were last season, you gotta go with your #1 guy a little more often imo. Unless, of course, Enroth continues to play incredibly well -- at that point, maybe we'll have a little goaltending controversy on our hands (a REAL goaltending controversy, not like end of last season lol).

I HATE Paul Gaustad. If he's on a PP unit, his responsibilities should be a.) WIN THE DRAW, b.) B-LINE TO BENCH. I can hardly stand to watch the guy play anymore, let alone rack up PP minutes. If there's one player more worthless to the team than Connolly was, surely it is Gaustad.

Gaustad is about the same as Regher....unless it is a bandage unit or a tremendous lead, he won't be on the PowerPlay unless it is to screen the goaltender.

(I think I just did that PowerPoint "P" by accident)

You don't want to see Regehr on the PP....that's just not his game. He won't be unless someone is in bandages.

Maybe. I wouldn't be shocked to see him there. If you have your two big guns (Ehrhoff and Myers) on the first unit, who is going to be on the second unit? Gragnani and _____? Sekera or Leopold, maybe, but I'd rather have a more defensively sound player like Regehr is supposed to be playing that point. Having two smallish offensive d-men playing the point isn't THAT different than having TC or JP on the point... I mean I guess it is, but I'd rather have that safety net of a big guy who won't let someone get past him on the boards (can't remember how many times a PKer blew right past Pommer or TC along the boards..) and will likely be more responsible defensively should a SH chance emerge.

Plus, offense might not be his thing, but I'm betting the guy has a cannon.

If it's late and we need a goal and get a PP chance, you could obv put someone else there instead of Regehr should the #2 unit even touch the ice in such a situation.

Gaustad is about the same as Regher....unless it is a bandage unit or a tremendous lead, he won't be on the PowerPlay unless it is to screen the goaltender.

Or if Leino doesn't live up to the "hype" around him. Gaustad played the PP all season last year, didn't he? I don't remember exactly where he played anymore, but when Roy went down one of two things happened: Connolly played center on the first unit and Goose played center on the second unit, OR Goose played center on the first unit and TC played the point. Either way, without Connolly, Goose still factors in as our only TRUE center behind Roy.

Maybe. I wouldn't be shocked to see him there. If you have your two big guns (Ehrhoff and Myers) on the first unit, who is going to be on the second unit? Gragnani and _____? Sekera or Leopold, maybe, but I'd rather have a more defensively sound player like Regehr is supposed to be playing that point.

Weber will play point before Regehr.

You don't like Tyler Myers?

Having two smallish offensive d-men playing the point isn't THAT different than having TC or JP on the point... I mean I guess it is, but I'd rather have that safety net of a big guy who won't let someone get past him on the boards (can't remember how many times a PKer blew right past Pommer or TC along the boards..) and will likely be more responsible defensively should a SH chance emerge.

Plus, offense might not be his thing, but I'm betting the guy has a cannon.

If it's late and we need a goal and get a PP chance, you could obv put someone else there instead of Regehr should the #2 unit even touch the ice in such a situation.

Or if Leino doesn't live up to the "hype" around him. Gaustad played the PP all season last year, didn't he?

He wasn't on a regular unit last year. I don't expect he will be this coming year either.

Yes on all fronts though I have a different spin on our D-men playing up. I think that it was worsened by 1) the inconsistency of our D-men entering the zone effectively and 2) communication with the forwards. If both improve, I don't see why we can't play that style. That said....

I want to see a more PATIENT style of play. With the emphasize on D this off season, I can see us sitting back more and maximizing counter-attacks rather than pushing the envelope.

Regher should never sniff the ice on the PP with Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Leopold and Gragnani in the lineup ... or at least 4 of those guys, anyway ... but with all those guys no forward should ever be on the point, either.

My biggest "system" complaint is the constant moving the puck BACK into our own corners by the wingers to activate a breakout from the defense. I understand they want to play a puck-possession game and not just be chipping it off the glass all night, but it's as if there is no judgement involved ... too many times it seems they do the opposition a favor and re-start their forecheck ... it's not so much the system but the judgement or instincts of the wingers to know when they should play it back and when they need to either chip it or carry it themselves.

When playing at home, I'd like to see the Sabres make a huge push in the first 10 (or at least 5) in the other team's end. This is "home ice advantage". The crowd is whipped up, the other team just wants to play a nice road game - if you can get after the opponent and score a goal (or two) in the opening minutes of the game, it makes everything from there on easier.

This may come with the two defensive additions anyway, but when you get in trouble in your own end and get possession, dink it out over the glass if you have no one open. To many times last year we'd get possession only to cough it up to one of the opponent's d-men trying to finesse it out to center.

Make some hits in the defensive zone. Way too many wingers skating around in the corners while our d-men waved sticks at them. Hit 'em, pin 'em, let your teammate grab the loose puck.

None of these are rocket science....

Weber will play point before Regehr.

You don't like Tyler Myers?

Where did I imply that I "don't like" Tyler Myers? Was it where I said he'll probably be on the #1 unit??

Also, you're not Lindy Ruff. It's cool that you have your opinion, but don't try to pass things like that along as fact. "Weber will play point before Regehr." Really? Says who? I don't know that Regehr will play the point, but I posted my reasoning as to why I would want him to (on the second unit), and my guess would be if it came down to Regher vs Weber on the PP, Regehr would get the nod above Weber. my opinion.

effort for 60 minutes

This. Everything else quoted has been great, and I'm sure it will help ... but from what I've seen pretty much since the 06-07 season has been a complete and utter lack of 60-minute hockey. I would even settle for 60-minute hockey half of the time. But this season-long, ball-busting first 10 minutes followed by 40 minutes and 2 intermissions of crack-hair grooming only to be followed up by another 10-minute stretch of ball-busting is way past its expiration date.

Where did I imply that I "don't like" Tyler Myers? Was it where I said he'll probably be on the #1 unit??

Also, you're not Lindy Ruff. It's cool that you have your opinion, but don't try to pass things like that along as fact. "Weber will play point before Regehr." Really? Says who? I don't know that Regehr will play the point, but I posted my reasoning as to why I would want him to (on the second unit), and my guess would be if it came down to Regher vs Weber on the PP, Regehr would get the nod above Weber. my opinion.

My opinion is that neither will see significant power play time. Neither are the right type of role players. Both are clear it out of the defensive zone style, not too offensive minded. I think you'll see the 1st unit have Ehrhoff and Myers or Leopold, and the second have Sekera/Mag and the other that isn't on the first. Just my opinion though.

Just a mistake. I read it wrong, I now see Myers is clearly there. I wasn't implying anything else.

Also, you're not Lindy Ruff.

How shrill.

It's cool that you have your opinion, but don't try to pass things like that along as fact.

Even shriller. Fork on frying pan is about right.

"Weber will play point before Regehr." Really? Says who? I don't know that Regehr will play the point, but I posted my reasoning as to why I would want him to (on the second unit), and my guess would be if it came down to Regher vs Weber on the PP, Regehr would get the nod above Weber. my opinion.

Now that that's off your chest.

It is just based on my eyes.

Regher has slowed down a bit, and doesn't have the recovery speed to do anything other than pull down a speedy forward in open ice if it is a footrace from the point back. He has limited value on the PP to begin with and should never be out there.

I don't think Weber will play the PP either, BTW. I just thought the comparison would put the choice in context.

Well my opinion is you want your #1 PP unit to be DEADLY, and you do that by putting your best players out there. So Myers and Ehrhoff should DEFINITELY be on the #1 unit together. By splitting them up, you're losing some of that punch from the first unit in hopes of having two "pretty good" units. I would rather have one "Deadly" unit w/ Myers and Ehrhoff.. which leaves basically Gragnani, Sekera, and Leopold to play the #2 unit -- three players who play the same style game, are roughly the same size, and all shoot left handed. They're all offensive-minded defenseman who are far more prone to making that costly turnover that leads to a SH scoring chance against. I would rather have one of them, preferably MAG, run the #2 PP while Regehr mans the other point, playing a safe and responsible game w/ the veteran presence to know when not to pinch and could potentially recognize an odd man break (or a breakaway pass to the guy coming out of the box) quicker than a younger guy like MAG/Sekera would. Yes, we then lose some of the offensive punch from our second unit, but at least you can put them out there knowing they're not going to be a liability.

My improvements:

1. I want to see an attacking, aggressive PK. Attack the puck handlers and play for turnovers.

2. I want to see a more agressive PP where the primary purpose is to shoot pucks at the goalie and not at your star winger.

3. I want real Dmen on the point on the PP.

4. I'd like to see someone learn to play behind the net on the PP ala Danny Briere.

5. I'd like to see some real creativity on the PP besides passing it from blue liner to half wall and back.

Well my opinion is you want your #1 PP unit to be DEADLY, and you do that by putting your best players out there. So Myers and Ehrhoff should DEFINITELY be on the #1 unit together. By splitting them up, you're losing some of that punch from the first unit in hopes of having two "pretty good" units. I would rather have one "Deadly" unit w/ Myers and Ehrhoff.. which leaves basically Gragnani, Sekera, and Leopold to play the #2 unit -- three players who play the same style game, are roughly the same size, and all shoot left handed. They're all offensive-minded defenseman who are far more prone to making that costly turnover that leads to a SH scoring chance against.

With two defense-men out there, SH goals against should not be a worry IMO. Sekera has excellent recovery speed. Leopold's is good too.

I would rather have one of them, preferably MAG, run the #2 PP while Regehr mans the other point, playing a safe and responsible game w/ the veteran presence to know when not to pinch and could potentially recognize an odd man break (or a breakaway pass to the guy coming out of the box) quicker than a younger guy like MAG/Sekera would. Yes, we then lose some of the punch from our second unit, but at least you can put them out there knowing they're not going to be a liability.

I think you'll see Buffalo use the Umbrella more with a single point. With Erhoff or Myers on the right high side of separate units. Even though Erhoff is a left handed shot, he's comfortable there.

I think we'll see Gragnani, Leopold, or Sekera deal from the high point.

It's going to be fun IMO.

PP - absolutely don't want to see a forward at the point. I also would like to see them try having Stafford (or Adam) being the body screening on the pp so that Vanek can get the puck while facing the net on occassion on the powerplay.

Also on the pp, I'd like to see them get the puck to Ehrhoff and let him fire it. Fancy can be effective in the regular season, but it doesn't hold up as well when the other team is playing you every other night.

I want Enroth, MacIntyre, or whomever is typically wearing a cap on the bench to get 25 starts. Have the plan be to get Miller 57 starts in the regular season and 22-23 more starts in the post season.

I would like to see the 2nd & 3rd lines do a little more dumping of the puck than in the past and the 4th line do a lot more dumping of the puck. The top line can continue to be a "puck possession" line. I doubt they'll have the makeup to really change the 3rd line to a "dump & chase" line, but that would be my preference. The 4th line should definitely be able to do it more often as the D should be able to cover blown assignments better than they could in the past. (At least after the pairings have been worked out. The 1st 10-20 games could be interesting w/ at least 2 and very likely 3 new guys in the lineup.)

I'd like to see the defensive pairings set up to have 3 "balanced" pairings - at least as balanced as having 2 stay at home D, Myers, and 3 offensive D-men in the mix can get (sorry Shaone, I don't see you on the opening night roster).

I would still let the D carry the puck out of the zone, but would significantly scale back how often the D join & lead the rush. How well Leino & Roy do getting the puck through the neutral zone and gaining possession inside the blue line will be critical in determining how much they can scale back the 4 man attack unit. I still expect LR to have them try to play a Detroit style puck possession game. It'll be interesting to see if having Roy healthy and Leino will allow them to work possession in a more traditional manner than they could last year.

(No time for more. Sorry, have to run.)

PP - absolutely don't want to see a forward at the point. I also would like to see them try having Stafford (or Adam) being the body screening on the pp so that Vanek can get the puck while facing the net on occassion on the powerplay.

I like this idea alot. Vanek is your big sniper and ends up getting used like Dave Andrechuck instead of like Mike Bossy.

2. I want to see a more aggressive PP where the primary purpose is to shoot pucks at the goalie

I don't know about you, but I've always felt that our players shoot at the goalie a bit too often. I'm hoping for a bit more shooting past the goalie. :thumbsup:

I've been harping on No. 3 for years. It needs to happen. Break up the schedule into four-game chunks and decide which of the four Miller will sit. It's not hard.

This is probably the most important one. I'm reasonably optimistic that it will happen since Enroth looked really good last year and was definitely a difference-maker in the playoff push.

Well my opinion is you want your #1 PP unit to be DEADLY, and you do that by putting your best players out there. So Myers and Ehrhoff should DEFINITELY be on the #1 unit together. By splitting them up, you're losing some of that punch from the first unit in hopes of having two "pretty good" units. I would rather have one "Deadly" unit w/ Myers and Ehrhoff.. which leaves basically Gragnani, Sekera, and Leopold to play the #2 unit -- three players who play the same style game, are roughly the same size, and all shoot left handed. They're all offensive-minded defenseman who are far more prone to making that costly turnover that leads to a SH scoring chance against. I would rather have one of them, preferably MAG, run the #2 PP while Regehr mans the other point, playing a safe and responsible game w/ the veteran presence to know when not to pinch and could potentially recognize an odd man break (or a breakaway pass to the guy coming out of the box) quicker than a younger guy like MAG/Sekera would. Yes, we then lose some of the offensive punch from our second unit, but at least you can put them out there knowing they're not going to be a liability.

Dude. There is NFW Regehr is going to play on the PP. Out of the top 7 defensemen, he's the least suited for it.

Take a step back to think about what you're saying, un-dig your heels on this one and move on.

4. I'd like to see someone learn to play behind the net on the PP ala Danny Briere.

Good call.

Also on the pp, I'd like to see them get the puck to Ehrhoff and let him fire it. Fancy can be effective in the regular season, but it doesn't hold up as well when the other team is playing you every other night.

I would like to see the 2nd & 3rd lines do a little more dumping of the puck than in the past and the 4th line do a lot more dumping of the puck. The top line can continue to be a "puck possession" line. I doubt they'll have the makeup to really change the 3rd line to a "dump & chase" line, but that would be my preference. The 4th line should definitely be able to do it more often as the D should be able to cover blown assignments better than they could in the past. (At least after the pairings have been worked out. The 1st 10-20 games could be interesting w/ at least 2 and very likely 3 new guys in the lineup.)

I agree with all of this but I don't think a 2nd line of, say, Roy-Ennis-Boyes can play a dump-and-chase game -- and in fact I think they are capable of playing a puck possession game.

My 2 cents:

1. Weave -- great thread.

2. I'd like to see Weber and Sekera as the 3rd defense pair, with MAG as #7. (I think this will happen anyway.) I'd also like to see that pair get at least 16 minutes per game. I think both Weber and Sekera have the ability to develop into very good defensemen, and having them on the 3rd pair will keep the pressure down, while giving them 16+ mpg will give them enough experience.

3. I want to see Vanek pass less and shoot more. I NEVER want to see him pass it on a 2-on-1. I am sick of yelling "too cute!!" at my TV when Vanek passes up an open shot from the slot in favor of a no-look cross-crease pass that goes nowhere.

4. I want to see Leopold either play sounder defensive hockey or get dropped to the 3rd pair, with whichever of Sekera or Weber is playing better moving up to the 2nd pair.

5. I want to see Pommer on the 3rd line with Gerbe and Hecht (assuming another center is not brought in), because I think Pommer's natural slot is as a very good 3rd-line 5-on-5 winger who also plays on the PK and the #2 PP unit. On the 3rd line, Pommer would presumably play against the other team's 2nd or 3rd defensive pair and 3rd or 4th forward line -- which would free him up to be more productive.

6. I want to see Gerbe's role gradually expand. I want him to be a fixture on the third line and to get time on the 2nd PP unit. He's got skill and a ton of heart, which I think rubs off on his teammates.

7. I want Roy not to be Vanek's center.

8. I want the 2nd line to be Roy-Ennis-Boyes, and for Boyes to show that he's got enough game to earn and keep that slot.

9. I want the top line to be Leino-Vanek-Stafford, for Leino's game to mesh well with Vanek's, and for Stafford to keep taking it hard to the net and improving despite having just gotten a big contract.

10. Finally, I don't expect this to happen, but I'd love to see Adam or Kassian play well enough in preseason to force his way onto the roster.

Pominville's not the kind of guy who is going to work out well down low. He needs to be more of a perimeter guy, which leads to this point:

I think you'll see Buffalo use the Umbrella more with a single point. With Erhoff or Myers on the right high side of separate units. Even though Erhoff is a left handed shot, he's comfortable there.

I think we'll see Gragnani, Leopold, or Sekera deal from the high point.

It's going to be fun IMO.

Pominville winds up being that 3rd guy up high.

Archived