What (non player) on ice changes would you like to see?

Weave

Pominville winds up being that 3rd guy up high.

Yep. It is going to be fun.

I'm expecting for it to look almost like a 3 man weave on top.

Defenses will have to make a choice - pack it in and catch rubber - or come out and

chase. (Which opens up Vanek and Stafford.)

Erhoff, Myers, Leopold, Granani, Sekera, Pominville, can all dance and pull the trigger.

Erhoff has the ability to really change the profile of the PP.

I'm not sure who the new assistant will be, but I'm betting it will come from a guy who has coached the 3 high and 2 low set.

Yep. It is going to be fun.

I'm expecting for it to look almost like a 3 man weave on top.

Defenses will have to make a choice - pack it in and catch rubber - or come out and

chase. (Which opens up Vanek and Stafford.)

Erhoff, Myers, Leopold, Granani, Sekera, Pominville, can all dance and pull the trigger.

Erhoff has the ability to really change the profile of the PP.

I'm not sure who the new assistant will be, but I'm betting it will come from a guy who has coached the 3 high and 2 low set.

And there's the slight chance that Kotalik's shot could be added to the mix at some point in the season. He's not going to bring much, but at least that could be entertaining.

And there's the slight chance that Kotalik's shot could be added to the mix at some point in the season. He's not going to bring much, but at least that could be entertaining.

I must admit that I'd like to see Big Al blast away from the point again. Probably won't happen, but the nostalgia factor is high.

If Kotalik is on the roster....having his shot on the opposite side of Erhoffs is going to drive PK's nuts for short periods of time. (although he'll limit the ability to shift around).

That open shot is the one thing Kotalik is good at.

I must admit that I'd like to see Big Al blast away from the point again. Probably won't happen, but the nostalgia factor is high.

It'll be great for the first 20 games of the year. Then it'll go dormant until his next team.

I want to see our wingers not play so deep in the defensive zone. I want to see them actually cover the point and not stand right at Miller's side cupping his balls. I get the whole backside support thing, but they do it to the detriment of leaving the points too exposed (I'm sorry, you just don't give up that shot to Chara). I bet they skate an extra 30 miles by the end of the season over other teams from playing so deep. It's no wonder they're broken down by the playoffs.

It'll be great for the first 20 games of the year. Then it'll go dormant until his next team.

I want to see our wingers not play so deep in the defensive zone. I want to see them actually cover the point and not stand right at Miller's side cupping his balls. I get the whole backside support thing, but they do it to the detriment of leaving the points too exposed (I'm sorry, you just don't give up that shot to Chara). I bet they skate an extra 30 miles by the end of the season over other teams from playing so deep. It's no wonder they're broken down by the playoffs.

Yeah what he said!

I guess the only way Kotalik could be on the roster would be if one of the other $3MM+ guys were either traded or sent down to Rochester, right? (Not including Morrisson, whose salary needs to go anyway.) Or if Pommer takes a long time to recover and spends a good chunk of the season on LTIR?

Of course, if Pommer starts the season on LTIR, there will be a forward spot (and cap slot) open. It'll be interesting to see whether Adam can grab it as opposed to Kotalik.

These are all great ideas and i think most of them will be implemented... I know this thread says on-ice changes. However there was a lot of talk when TP took over that the arena would be changed a lot. I have only watched games at HSBC so i dont know what the other arenas really look like comparitively. Besides the Scoreboard and the locker room changes what else would you guys adopt from other arenas or maybe just your own thoughts?

can't remember how many times a PKer blew right past Pommer or TC along the boards..

not to flog the dead horse any more here.. but if there were PKers blowing by Pommers or TC, i would temper my expectations that Regehr could catch them any more than Pommers or TC can

I HATE Paul Gaustad. If he's on a PP unit, his responsibilities should be a.) WIN THE DRAW, b.) B-LINE TO BENCH. I can hardly stand to watch the guy play anymore, let alone rack up PP minutes. If there's one player more worthless to the team than Connolly was, surely it is Gaustad.

Did you watch the playoffs?

Agreed. Gaustad might not be the best player statistically on the ice...but he brings energy and heart. A lot more so than most of our other players. during the playoffs, he was one of our hardest working players!

Personally, I like Goose, and think he provides another aspect to the team that's needed.

My 2 cents:

1. Blah.

2. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

3. yadda yadda yadda.

4. Mumble, mumble.

5. More blah, blah, blah.

6. Jibberish.

7. Point presented.

8. mumble, mumble.

9. Blah, blah, blah.

10. BAckground noise.

2 cents? Heck, you put a whole dime out there. :P :D :lol:

Dude. There is NFW Regehr is going to play on the PP. Out of the top 7 defensemen, he's the least suited for it.

Take a step back to think about what you're saying, un-dig your heels on this one and move on.

I don't have my heels dug on anything, and I don't need to "take a step back" lol. This is a discussion board and he asked for changes we would like to see, I posted my opinion. Not every thread has a right and wrong answer. Do I expect Regehr to play point on the PP? Have I said "OH YEAH MAN REGEHR IS DEFINITELY GONNA PLAY ON THE POWERPLAY!!!" ? No. I just posted what I would do, posted why, and responded to the first couple posts questioning my position. Discussion 101.

not to flog the dead horse any more here.. but if there were PKers blowing by Pommers or TC, i would temper my expectations that Regehr could catch them any more than Pommers or TC can

The point is that Regehr isn't a pansy little bitch afraid of making physical contact with another player, and won't LET a PK'er get past him. Might get an interference call but that's better than a SH breakaway. But better yet, having been around the game a lot longer than our younger guys like MAG and Sekera, and given his defensive mindset, he probably would just opt not to make that bad pinch to begin with.

"Blowing by" was probably a bad choice of words on my part-- I meant "squeezing between TC/JP and the boards en route to carrying the puck into an odd man rush vs Miller without TC or JP making a single attempt to hit the guy into the boards or knock him off the puck."

we should see if Regehr can skate center. :beer:

Funny, but you know that's 100x different than what I was suggesting.

Yeah, I watched. Both players did nothing. Gaustad was a team worst -6 and won about 10 more faceoffs than TC over a 6 game span + the extra game 7 that TC didn't play. The physicality he brings is cool I guess, but according to the stats (which I know are sometimes "iffy") Gaustad finished with 9 hits in the post season-- behind Stafford, Butler, Grier, Gerbe, Myers, Kaleta, and McCormick. I'll give him props for putting Briere on his ass a couple times.. but Goose wasn't even our most physical player and was only marginally better on the draw -- the two reasons we keep him around.

Good thread. Don't get as much time here at the old salt mine to fratenize with the huddled masses but i'll burn a little lunch time now.

A lot of very well thought out idea's. Seems most revolve around some coaching strategy changes and also one area of my biggest desires for a change.

1.) A smart, experienced offensive minded assistant coach for the PP and forwards in general. I would like to see some new idea's and strategy how to best utilize players we do have. I think that will support a lot of the offensive idea's I have seen posited here. (If Tyler wore a large pair of shorts imagine a skating blind, could gerbe fire out between his legs right at the Blueline going the opposite side

2.) Ditto that to all the balanced defensive pairing posts. I would really like to have(short of injury) settled pairings for the shut down pair and offensive pairings. Chemistry is a crazy thing and something I flunked first time around(yes too much partying with some periodic elements) so I am not going to throw out combinations just yet other than I want the ones that produce the best results. I know it does mean that first sketchy 10-20 games of the season some have mentioned that I also expect too see. So I sabrespace pledge now that when that is happening in the first quarter of season and I feel I have it figured out, I will try and not throw the new coach and Lindy under the bus much.

Wait, gotta go I hear the guards coming, carry on.

I don't have my heels dug on anything, and I don't need to "take a step back" lol. This is a discussion board and he asked for changes we would like to see, I posted my opinion. Not every thread has a right and wrong answer. Do I expect Regehr to play defense? Have I said "OH YEAH MAN REGEHR IS DEFINITELY GONNA PLAY ON THE POWERPLAY!!!" ? No. I just posted what I would do, posted why, and responded to the first couple posts questioning my position. Discussion 101.

The point is that Regehr isn't a pansy little bitch afraid of making physical contact with another player, and won't LET a PK'er get past him. Might get an interference call but that's better than a SH breakaway. But better yet, having been around the game a lot longer than our younger guys like MAG and Sekera, and given his defensive mindset, he probably would just opt not to make that bad pinch to begin with.

Yeah, I watched. Both players did nothing. Gaustad was a team worst -6 and won about 10 more faceoffs than TC over a 6 game span + the extra game 7 that TC didn't play. The physicality he brings is cool I guess, but according to the stats (which I know are sometimes "iffy") Gaustad finished with 9 hits in the post season-- behind Stafford, Butler, Grier, Gerbe, Myers, Kaleta, and McCormick. I'll give him props for putting Briere on his ass a couple times.. but Goose wasn't even our most physical player and was only marginally better on the draw -- the two reasons we keep him around.

It appears that instead taking a step back you've chosen to double down. Why not tell us why you think the sun will rise in the West tomorrow? Give us your reasons why! After all, it's a discussion board.

In the same vein, it looks like you're still grimly waving the TC flag, even after the bitter end. So you thought his play was equivalent to Gaustad's, eh? Didn't notice any differences?

I could be wrong, but it's hard to imagine posts like this helping your blog readership.

It appears that instead taking a step back you've chosen to double down. Why not tell us why you think the sun will rise in the West tomorrow? Give us your reasons why! After all, it's a discussion board.

In the same vein, it looks like you're still grimly waving the TC flag, even after the bitter end. So you thought his play was equivalent to Gaustad's, eh? Didn't notice any differences?

I could be wrong, but it's hard to imagine posts like this helping your blog readership.

My fault. I didn't realize deciding what players should play on a hockey team's powerplay unit was a scientific law of the universe. :doh: (No but really, that was probably one of the dumbest things I've read on this board lately... not what I'd expect from you but w/e).

Sorry if you misinterpreted but that was hardly a "pro-TC" post. Just a comparison. Gaustad's play wasn't any better than Connolly's. He was more physical, period. Unfortunately that didn't translate into scoring more goals or winning more games. Just a single aspect of his game was good, and apparently not good enough. Say what you will about Connolly but considering how many 1-goal games were played in that series, a -6 for Gaustad is rather telling.

and lol. what's with you people and insulting my "fledgling" sports blog? it's not a career, it's a hobby. you can say whatever you want about it, it doesn't really bother me. but again, i apologize for trying to have an intellectual discussion about hockey and how one player might be more beneficial to a team's PP unit than another... please resume talking about how bad the Leafs got ripped off by signing Connolly and how the Sabres should bring back Chris Drury. Forgive my momentary lapse of reason -- I forgot that you know everything there is to know about everything and have scientifically proven that Regehr can't/won't play on the powerplay.

:wallbash: Stop it with the arguing. We all want to talk and read about hockey. Having to change scopes and start detecting sarcasm and stabs at others is ruining my current hockey high from the Sekera signing.

it's the offseason, so until the playing starts back up, the hostilities will stay as they are. It's actually healthy...or so I hear :thumbsup:

Archived