Mark Pysyk signed

spndnchz

I could be mistaken, but I believe as a 2010 draft pick he had until June 1, 2012 to lock in an entry level deal with the Sabres before having to re-enter the draft. So, signing Pysyk now is actually one year ahead of when he was supposed to have an entry level deal done. I get that the posts were jokes, but this is actually a pretty early signing for an entry level deal.

I could be mistaken, but I believe as a 2010 draft pick he had until June 1, 2012 to lock in an entry level deal with the Sabres before having to re-enter the draft. So, signing Pysyk now is actually one year ahead of when he was supposed to have an entry level deal done. I get that the posts were jokes, but this is actually a pretty early signing for an entry level deal.

There was no hurry. But this puts him in a position that he can be pulled up after the World Juniors next year if there is an emergency.....or he can play games on a tryout and get sent back to Juniors.

Kris Baker's take...

http://www.sabresprospects.com/

"For those curious, NHL rules state that Pysyk can play nine NHL games next season before the clock starts ticking on his contract. If he spends 2011-12 in the WHL as anticipated, the contract will essentially begin in 2012-13. Either way, the good citizen will enjoy a tasty signing bonus.

Make no mistake. The Sabres being proactive with their own assets is another way of sending a message to the entire league that "things are different now" in Buffalo."

Kris Baker's take...

http://www.sabresprospects.com/

"For those curious, NHL rules state that Pysyk can play nine NHL games next season before the clock starts ticking on his contract. If he spends 2011-12 in the WHL as anticipated, the contract will essentially begin in 2012-13. Either way, the good citizen will enjoy a tasty signing bonus.

Make no mistake. The Sabres being proactive with their own assets is another way of sending a message to the entire league that "things are different now" in Buffalo."

I'd never heard about the part in bold. So if he spends this season in the WHL, the contract expires a year later?

I'd never heard about the part in bold. So if he spends this season in the WHL, the contract expires a year later?

Basically, yes. The contract clock doesn't start ticking until he's officially turned pro (ie. past the 9 game tryout stage or not eligible to play in juniors).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this whole thing seem very similar to Tyler Myers' situation 2 yeaars ago?

Yup. It's technically not that his contract expires a year later but that his contract doesn't start until a year later (assuming <10 games played)

Yup. It's technically not that his contract expires a year later but that his contract doesn't start until a year later (assuming <10 games played)

Thanks. I wasn't entirely sure if Myers' contract would have expired or not. Sometimes I just forget things.

The clock starts running when he commences work as a professional player...

That includes the AHL...

So, yes. After 9 professional games the clock starts to run with the 10th.

• 11 months later...

Want to see Pysyk in action? NHL Network will have the Memorial Cup playing May 18-20.

Pysyk plays for the Oil Kings and can be seen at 7PM (ET) tomorrow playing Shawinigan.

Sportsnet will have the games in Canada.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Oil Kings bottom feeders when the Sabres drafted him? He's lead quite a turnaround up there.

He seems to be making progress for sure. I don't think he was 6'-2" and 188lbs when he was drafted.

Good news, I've been reading a bit about him and he looks like a good prospect for us. I suspect Darcy will be prospect swapping defensemen for forwards this summer, depending on where he goes draft day. Very intriguing time to be a Sabres fan atm.

I'm looking forward to next season :D

is his last name pronounced PISS-IK? thats kinda funny.

Well, maybe if you're twelve - or Howard Stern.

Good news, I've been reading a bit about him and he looks like a good prospect for us. I suspect Darcy will be prospect swapping defensemen for forwards this summer, depending on where he goes draft day. Very intriguing time to be a Sabres fan atm.

I'm looking forward to next season :D

But not quite as intriguing a time as it is to be an LA Kings fan....

is his last name pronounced PISS-IK? thats kinda funny.

This is the first time you have seen his name?

Last yeah he was 6'1' and 174lbs, so he has grown.

Or they just started the whole exaggerated size thing a year earlier. B)

Archived