Drew Stafford Contract

BuffaloFansR_Crazy

About 9 million, IMO.

Darcy and Pegula are on record saying that they need to stay between 1-2 million under the cap in the name of flexibility.

Even if they raise the cap to 62, that leaves you with 10 tops to replace your #2 center and the leader in plus/minus on your defense. That brings you right back to where you were last year.

And for all you crack smokers who think "Oh...we'll just trade someone and make room." Boyes was only worth a 2nd round pick at the most valuable time of year with 24 other teams possibly being interested at a playoff run. What's he worth now? The only way you get rid of Pominville or Hecht now is if you take an even higher priced underachieving veteran in return. Nobody wants to make up for your mistakes.

Your only real value is young guys that performed beyond their salary. The Myers, Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Enroth, Sekera. And if you move them, you will be taking on salary and still need to replace bodies.

Quality GM's can keep a dozen plates spinning and move with urgency. Darcy slowly spins a few plates, and just when he figures out how to get one more going, another begins to crash.

Darcy and Pegula are on record saying that they need to stay between 1-2 million under the cap in the name of flexibility.

Even if they raise the cap to 62, that leaves you with 10 tops to replace your #2 center and the leader in plus/minus on your defense. That brings you right back to where you were last year.

And for all you crack smokers who think "Oh...we'll just trade someone and make room." Boyes was only worth a 2nd round pick at the most valuable time of year with 24 other teams possibly being interested at a playoff run. What's he worth now? The only way you get rid of Pominville or Hecht now is if you take an even higher priced underachieving veteran in return. Nobody wants to make up for your mistakes.

Your only real value is young guys that performed beyond their salary. The Myers, Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Enroth, Sekera. And if you move them, you will be taking on salary and still need to replace bodies.

Quality GM's can keep a dozen plates spinning and move with urgency. Darcy slowly spins a few plates, and just when he figures out how to get one more going, another begins to crash.

I would not mind having luke adam as a third line center, which means another body is moving somewhere else aka freeing up salary. If we dont get the top center or the Big D man this year, thats fine with me. If we get at least one i will be more than pleased. There's always next year as well.

Oh, and i don't smoke crack.

I'm good with this deal. He's capable of making it a bargain. We'll see. I love that it is a four year deal. That is entirely different for us now.

I would not mind having luke adam as a third line center, which means another body is moving somewhere else aka freeing up salary. If we dont get the top center or the Big D man this year, thats fine with me. If we get at least one i will be more than pleased. There's always next year as well.

I would be the first guy to embrace a big man that can play minutes on this team, but Luke Adam does not look to have the goods. His skating reminds me of a '76 Buick navigating Delaware Avenue in a January snowstorm.

Again, you still need to replace your #2 center and your most consistant defenseman for the first 60 games of the season, just to get back to square 1. We are left with what we are always left with. Building from within, developing the core, and overpaying in hopes of continued progress. While everyone is banking on Stafford being a bargain at $4 million, nobody is talking about how Roy and Pominville are coming off major leg injuries, Pominville and Hecht head injuries that took them out for large hunks of time, and Miller now being on the other side of 30.

On defense, Leopold is your only veteran expected to see playing time and has little physical presence. While it is fun to fantasize about a bunch of 20 somethings turning into the '85 Oilers backend, in reality if a steady veteran leader with some talent isn't brought in, you are more than likely to see stagnation, much like you did with young Sabre forwards expected to step it up in the wake of a veteran purge. Rivet, Montador and Morrisson aren't hall of famers, but if next season starts out anything but good, you will be left with 6 guys looking at each other, not knowing what to do.

There are 29 other teams out there about to get the same cap increase, and the majority of them think they will improve as well. The top 8 teams can take a step back and still outfinish any strides the Sabres make next year if any. It's a 30 horse race, not 1 team in a vacuum.

This is still the same team of Fashion Shows, Billy Jean, and Guitar Hero on the ice. Wake me up when we bring in a guy who can score 25 goals who spent the weekend hunting a bear with a crossbow while drinking cans of Genny and wiping himself with the articles of an old Hustler mag.

I would be the first guy to embrace a big man that can play minutes on this team, but Luke Adam does not look to have the goods. His skating reminds me of a '76 Buick navigating Delaware Avenue in a January snowstorm.

Again, you still need to replace your #2 center and your most consistant defenseman for the first 60 games of the season, just to get back to square 1. We are left with what we are always left with. Building from within, developing the core, and overpaying in hopes of continued progress. While everyone is banking on Stafford being a bargain at $4 million, nobody is talking about how Roy and Pominville are coming off major leg injuries, Pominville and Hecht head injuries that took them out for large hunks of time, and Miller now being on the other side of 30.

On defense, Leopold is your only veteran expected to see playing time and has little physical presence. While it is fun to fantasize about a bunch of 20 somethings turning into the '85 Oilers backend, in reality if a steady veteran leader with some talent isn't brought in, you are more than likely to see stagnation, much like you did with young Sabre forwards expected to step it up in the wake of a veteran purge. Rivet, Montador and Morrisson aren't hall of famers, but if next season starts out anything but good, you will be left with 6 guys looking at each other, not knowing what to do.

There are 29 other teams out there about to get the same cap increase, and the majority of them think they will improve as well. The top 8 teams can take a step back and still outfinish any strides the Sabres make next year if any. It's a 30 horse race, not 1 team in a vacuum.

This is still the same team of Fashion Shows, Billy Jean, and Guitar Hero on the ice. Wake me up when we bring in a guy who can score 25 goals who spent the weekend hunting a bear with a crossbow while drinking cans of Genny and wiping himself with the articles of an old Hustler mag.

A 76 buick won AHL rookie of the year? huh...

If that's the way you describe guy that clearly has a lot of upside, i'm not sure how seriously i can take the rest of this post. I feel like you're not willing to give the new regime a chance simply so you can be the guy that said 'i told you so' if things go downhill. It's an advantageous position to be in on a message board i suppose, but i doubt it does any good for your blood pressure.

A 76 buick won AHL rookie of the year? huh...

If that's the way you describe guy that clearly has a lot of upside, i'm not sure how seriously i can take the rest of this post. I feel like you're not willing to give the new regime a chance simply so you can be the guy that said 'i told you so' if things go downhill. It's an advantageous position to be in on a message board i suppose, but i doubt it does any good for your blood pressure.

If they go downhill??? What hill are we on? The Bunny Slope at Kissing Bridge?

All I can comment on Adam is what I have seen. It was nice to see him put in a few garbage goals from hanging around the net. That is what is needed. However for a team that seems to value skating and defensive positioning above anything else, Adam does not fit in the NHL right now, and I don't know if he can improve enough to be an asset.

The rise in blood pressure only comes from the masses not only accepting, but embracing mediocrity. I worry for my country as well, but just like I am not about to bolt to Russia, I am not about to pledge my loyalty to the Flyers, even though I may respect the leaders of those two entities more than I do those who control the decisions and fate of the entities to where my loyalty lays.

Darcy and Lindy have been in control for 14 years. If the average person becomes a hockey fan at the age of 8, that means that for the majority of their fandom.....everyone in the city of Buffalo who is under 37 years old has been at the mercy of Darcy Regier. I fit into that category, and I am not happy about it. The Hockey News ranked the Sabres #3 overall with a key factor being management longevity. For the love of God, that is like saying Cuba is the #3 country in the world because of Castro. I was hoping the arrival of Pegula would have freed us from our repression, but instead it looks like it's the same old Bay of Pigs.

You also posted on the last page that this was a 'status quo' signing. How do you figure?

Does this signing change anything from last season? No? That's pretty much the definition of status quo.

As Dwight has tried to explain, we have about $7-9M after we sign our RFA's. That $7-9 will be needed to replace our #2 center and toppair D-man. And that just gets us back to where we were last season. Status quo.

Gonna need to see a trade to convince me it won't be more of the same, Ie. anywhere from 7th-9th place. Oh joy.

To me, this is neither here nor there when it comes to status quo. While the Boyes signing had mixed results, the fact that they added salary without dumping anyone was more counter-status-quo than this. However, if things really are to change, I have always thought and continue to believe that it will occur mid-June to mid-July, not at the trade deadline or in re-signing a player.

Speaking of Boyes. Perhaps, the plan was to bring him in as an insurance policy at right wing in case they couldn't re-sign Stafford. Now that they have, he will expendable. Even if they don't get much in return, the difference between whatever they get and the second-round pick would be seen as a rental cost. The net cap hit would be the same as it would be if they hadn't re-signed Drew and kept Boyes. Just thinking out loud ...

To me, this is neither here nor there when it comes to status quo. While the Boyes signing had mixed results, the fact that they added salary without dumping anyone was more counter-status-quo than this. However, if things really are to change, I have always thought and continue to believe that it will occur mid-June to mid-July, not at the trade deadline or in re-signing a player.

Speaking of Boyes. Perhaps, the plan was to bring him in as an insurance policy at right wing in case they couldn't re-sign Stafford. Now that they have, he will expendable. Even if they don't get much in return, the difference between whatever they get and the second-round pick would be seen as a rental cost. The net cap hit would be the same as it would be if they hadn't re-signed Drew and kept Boyes. Just thinking out loud ...

Trust me, if they send Stafford, Ennis, Sekera and a pick to Calgary for Iginla and Regher, I will do cartwheels. And don't fool yourself (not you, in general), that is the only type of deal that can put this team on the right track. You need to find a team against the cap that wants to make changes and shed salary. They don't want Pominville, Boyes or Hecht....they want young bodies that can outplay their current contract. You need gritty leaders that can show the rest of the guys how to bring it. Iginla turns Vanek and Roy into a legit 1st line and frees Vanek up to score 40+. He holds others who tend to float on and off accountable. Regher becomes a #1 pairing steady force who will allow Myers to be aggressive on offense while teaching him how to use a big body to control play in your own end.

There are very few options out there where you can bring in the type of players who will truly change the culture of this franchise. And Boyes in my opinion was brought in as a Hail Mary for Connolly. Every interview from management crowed how they were great together in the past. I still wouldn't be shocked to see Connolly back at just under $3 million as your 2nd center.

Trust me, if they send Stafford, Ennis, Sekera and a pick to Calgary for Iginla and Regher, I will do cartwheels. And don't fool yourself (not you, in general), that is the only type of deal that can put this team on the right track. You need to find a team against the cap that wants to make changes and shed salary. They don't want Pominville, Boyes or Hecht....they want young bodies that can outplay their current contract. You need gritty leaders that can show the rest of the guys how to bring it. Iginla turns Vanek and Roy into a legit 1st line and frees Vanek up to score 40+. He holds others who tend to float on and off accountable. Regher becomes a #1 pairing steady force who will allow Myers to be aggressive on offense while teaching him how to use a big body to control play in your own end.

There are very few options out there where you can bring in the type of players who will truly change the culture of this franchise. And Boyes in my opinion was brought in as a Hail Mary for Connolly. Every interview from management crowed how they were great together in the past. I still wouldn't be shocked to see Connolly back at just under $3 million as your 2nd center.

I would love to see them re-sign Connolly just to read the posts trying to justify it as a "good move."

You mentioned "players who will truly change the culture of this franchise," I just don't see that happening. Any chance of a major roster shakeup ended when Regier was retained and no "hockey guy" was brought in to oversee the hockey department.

I would love to see them re-sign Connolly just to read the posts trying to justify it as a "good move."

You mentioned "players who will truly change the culture of this franchise," I just don't see that happening. Any chance of a major roster shakeup ended when Regier was retained and no "hockey guy" was brought in to oversee the hockey department.

Seeing as how blockbuster trades aren't that common, there's not even really a decent second/third line center available in UFA (let alone a #1 center) beyond Brad Richards, and the Sabres aren't in position to draft a NHL-ready center.... signing Connolly might not be a bad move. None of the available centers (again, spare Richards) have the offensive upside that Connolly has/had, and if he plays the same style he played the second half of last season, there's not a center available who's better on the PK either. Connolly would be an acceptable option for the third line, if he's even able to play hockey anymore, for $2.5 ish.

As for the second part of your post, I have to again point out the limited options the team really has. Whether or not we have a "hockey guy" overseeing our "hockey department" is irrelevant when those "players who will truly change the culture of this franchise" aren't available. We could bring in Steve Yzerman and Scotty Bowman to run the organization, but that doesn't mean they're going to be able to pull a fast one on Pittsburgh and trade them Pomminstein and Hecht for Malkin and a pick, then turn around and trade the pick with Roy for Iginla.

The players just aren't there, and you can't trade nothing for something.

I don't see him knowing what needs to be done either, but that Calgary deal is probably there for the taking even with a tweak or two. They have been talking about a change, are against the cap, and made a run with some veteran skill guys that didn't pan out. They are solid in the backend and have Boewmeister still, and a guy like Stafford has a similar skillset to Iginla minus the nads, "C", and a Cup. If we are to believe we are loaded in the juniors and AHL, then time to pony up and move some of the young guys that can fetch a return.

Iginla immediately makes Vanek more valuable and adds to a powerplay that suddenly makes a guy like Gaustad viable on it and even as an occasional center between the two on a regular shift. If you have a legit #1 line that can eat up minutes and produce, then bringing Connolly back isn't as disgusting. I could live with Vanek/Roy/Iginla, Hecht/Connolly/Pominville, Gerbe/Gaustad/Boyes, Kaleta/McCormick/Kassain, Myers/Regher, Weber/Montador, Gragnani/Butler, Miller/Enroth for a year or two. The testosterone level just doubled and you have 3 offensive defensemen who aren't bad in their own end paired with 3 defensive guys who aren't a disaster moving the puck. Start Miller 62 games and Enroth 20. Your 2nd and 3rd lines are defensively sound and what the 2nd lacks in punch the 3rd makes up for it all while having a 4th energy line that can chip in 30 goals if healthy. Myers and Gragnani QB your PP units with Regher and Montador or even letting Pominville or Connolly at the point as you have Vanek/Iginla crash the net and work the sideboards, throwing Gaustad out there for an occasional bomber run. You have an oversupply of penalty killers who can also transition.

Can this team turn around it's culture and become a top 10 contender with one move and the addition of a forward and defenseman?.....yes.

Is a trade like this realistic if the Sabres are willing to let go of the blankie and admit a change in tactics might serve them well?....yes.

Is it possible to make your current ingredients more valuable and spicey with the proper addition of synergistic parts?.....yes.

Do I expect to see this happen?..........No, but if they do so, I will shut my mouth from uttering a negative thought the next 365 days.

Richards doesn't pull this off, Spezza doesn't pull this off.......Go get a man's man....and let the freaking dogs off the leashes!!!!

I don't see him knowing what needs to be done either, but that Calgary deal is probably there for the taking even with a tweak or two. They have been talking about a change, are against the cap, and made a run with some veteran skill guys that didn't pan out. They are solid in the backend and have Boewmeister still, and a guy like Stafford has a similar skillset to Iginla minus the nads, "C", and a Cup. If we are to believe we are loaded in the juniors and AHL, then time to pony up and move some of the young guys that can fetch a return.

Iginla immediately makes Vanek more valuable and adds to a powerplay that suddenly makes a guy like Gaustad viable on it and even as an occasional center between the two on a regular shift. If you have a legit #1 line that can eat up minutes and produce, then bringing Connolly back isn't as disgusting. I could live with Vanek/Roy/Iginla, Hecht/Connolly/Pominville, Gerbe/Gaustad/Boyes, Kaleta/McCormick/Kassain, Myers/Regher, Weber/Montador, Gragnani/Butler, Miller/Enroth for a year or two. The testosterone level just doubled and you have 3 offensive defensemen who aren't bad in their own end paired with 3 defensive guys who aren't a disaster moving the puck. Start Miller 62 games and Enroth 20. Your 2nd and 3rd lines are defensively sound and what the 2nd lacks in punch the 3rd makes up for it all while having a 4th energy line that can chip in 30 goals if healthy. Myers and Gragnani QB your PP units with Regher and Montador or even letting Pominville or Connolly at the point as you have Vanek/Iginla crash the net and work the sideboards, throwing Gaustad out there for an occasional bomber run. You have an oversupply of penalty killers who can also transition.

Can this team turn around it's culture and become a top 10 contender with one move and the addition of a forward and defenseman?.....yes.

Is a trade like this realistic if the Sabres are willing to let go of the blankie and admit a change in tactics might serve them well?....yes.

Is it possible to make your current ingredients more valuable and spicey with the proper addition of synergistic parts?.....yes.

Do I expect to see this happen?..........No, but if they do so, I will shut my mouth from uttering a negative thought the next 365 days.

Richards doesn't pull this off, Spezza doesn't pull this off.......Go get a man's man....and let the freaking dogs off the leashes!!!!

I could imagine Calgary insisting on Roy over Stafford. Ennis being a Alberta boy will be a must. I could also see Calgary insisting on Weber over Sekera.

A few NTCs need to be waived before that deal is made, a tough sell for two vets who are being shipped to such a poor franchise.

Hockey Heaven!! You can sell Iginla that he will be the patron saint of the franchise turnaround. Regher is probably related to Darcy but his family was ashamed and changed the spelling.

The only reason I can hope they take Sekera over Weber is they have built around guys more like Weber.

It's a pipe dream anyway, but I find a way to make a deal like that happen day 1. Overpay with prospects if you must. This BS about the cupboards being stocked for the future doesn't fly with me anymore. Show me someone besides Darcy values any of these guys and get some help in here.

Seeing as how blockbuster trades aren't that common, there's not even really a decent second/third line center available in UFA (let alone a #1 center) beyond Brad Richards, and the Sabres aren't in position to draft a NHL-ready center.... signing Connolly might not be a bad move.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Four posts before someone justified the ultimate status quo move.

You're talking about Weber and Ennis right? :D

no weber and ennis are some of the onmly players on the team actually play up to snuff... lets trade drew and butler first then make this trade... Id rather wait 3 years than trade these two now n watch them lift a cup in 2.

I'm calling ###### on that right there. The only way you would follow thru on that is if they went 82-0 with a 100% pp and pk and a 1.50 goals against. lol

Also no to Connolly coming back. I don't care if the only other center out there is a 1 legged 40 year old. Connolly can not come back to this roster. Maybe he can sign somewhere else and turn his career around for a season or 2. But that somewhere is not here.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Four posts before someone justified the ultimate status quo move.

IDK. I wouldn't have a problem with Connolly being re-signed to be depended on as a third line center, not a first. "Status quo" this and "status quo" that but there aren't too many other attractive options, and if you question Timmy's heart after the way he played last season (after having his face broken blocking a shot earlier in the year) then you weren't watching the same games I was. He definitely doesn't deserve 4.5 mil, but for 2.5ish or so I would be happy, as long as they somehow bring in a true #1 center so that Roy and Connolly aren't expected to carry the team. Good PKer, decent on a #2 PP unit, flashes of offense if he can regain his form of prior to last season.

I do expect the Sabres to not re-sign Connolly, and I won't be mad if they don't. I just don't think he's the worst option -- the UFA pool is really thin and looking at the list, none of the names really grabbed my attention that would be a better sign than TC.

Haven't seen anything written regarding a no trade clause other than the original rumored contract, which was way off. Safer to assume there isn't one than fly off the handle with opinions as though there is one.

That's not flying off the handle, that's me expressing my concerns of any of the "the core" being given a NTC.

When I fly off the handle, I swear and curse a lot.

IDK. I wouldn't have a problem with Connolly being re-signed to be depended on as a third line center, not a first. "Status quo" this and "status quo" that but there aren't too many other attractive options, and if you question Timmy's heart after the way he played last season (after having his face broken blocking a shot earlier in the year) then you weren't watching the same games I was. He definitely doesn't deserve 4.5 mil, but for 2.5ish or so I would be happy, as long as they somehow bring in a true #1 center so that Roy and Connolly aren't expected to carry the team. Good PKer, decent on a #2 PP unit, flashes of offense if he can regain his form of prior to last season.

I do expect the Sabres to not re-sign Connolly, and I won't be mad if they don't. I just don't think he's the worst option -- the UFA pool is really thin and looking at the list, none of the names really grabbed my attention that would be a better sign than TC.

I don't question his heart and also don't blame him for obtaining a ridiculous contract. But it's time to cut bait here. He's a symbol of a failed experiment, an era of hockey that I want to bury. I wish him the best and look forward to the new blood taking his place.

Archived