Drew Stafford Contract

BuffaloFansR_Crazy

Not true, I would bitch if they ever took a penalty.

I would love it if someone would take the handcuffs off me. This isn't aimed at you since you are having fun with it, but I laugh how people try and label someone as being "negative" all the time. Here's the deal.....we've had the same people in charge the past 14 years....how can you say somebody is negative when they are responding to and discussing the exact same thing which they don't believe in for going on two decades? Watching many here lament about negativity is like watching the person at the carnival trying to win the 8 foot teddy bear. I refuse to constantly feed dollars to something that I feel can't be won without a stroke of amazing luck. Then I become the bad guy for telling someone they might be better off spending that money on a funnel cake instead of trying to throw the ring over the peg.

I feel that because of this familiarity of seeing the exact same people make decisions for 14 years, I have identified their fatal flaws, and limiting factors. To me, they are too much to overcome. The frustrating thing is that most of it seems obvious to me. I understand the fan psychology of trying to stay positive and keep hope, but I was a teenager when these guys came into power for the love of God. We aren't talking Bear Bryant or Joe Pa'.....we are talking 2 spurts of success because of table tilting rules changes and inheriting a once in a generation goaltender. You could have let a monkey fill out the lineup card for the Yankees 50 years ago and the team probably still would have won a pennant.

I'm happy Pegula bought the team. He doesn't need to worry about money and I enjoy watching the passion of his family.

I like Ted Black. He's a thinker that can see cause and effects where many can't. He's a pretty straight shooter who can say spontaneous and honest things. I like how he has reached out to the fans.

I like the makeup of the players more than I have in the past, but again, their potential and personalities may be limited and dampered by the 2 decade system of control.

I really wish I could believe that this team had a real chance. I enjoy watching sports and looking forward to events. I've been around too long to suspend reality at this point though.

Good post and I agree. Wanting things to improve isn't negativity.

What "indicators?" So far all the "indicators" point to business as usual. Same GM, same coach, trade deadline bust and over paying for their own players. Are you determining that there will be trades at the draft based on the new rug? That is the only significant change.

They've been listed a couple hundred times here, but here is a listing of items that would not have occurred under the former regime.

1. Rivet released.

2. Making a trade at the deadline that increased salary.

3. Keeping Enroth up even after Lalime was healthy.

4. Increasing the size of the coaching staff.

5. Increasing the size of the scouting department.

6. Spending their own money to improve the players' "office."

7. Spending their own money to improve the ice conditions.

8. Doing a few dozen little things such as providing free programs at the games.

9. Signing Pysyk 1 year before they had to.

10. Bringing in ALL the alumni that could make it to make them feel they're part of the "family."

11. Putting their prospects in the "prospect cup" (or whatever it's called in Detroit).

And here are some things that likely would not have happened under the previous regime.

1. Signing Stafford nearly a full month before the deadline to get him signed.

2. Being a part of the European trip to start the regular season.

3. Making an unsolicited offer to buy the Amerks.

4. Attempting (unsuccessfully, granted) to make a high profile trade at the deadline.

5. Having a tribute to Rico, more than just a moment of silence, w/in hours of his untimely passing. (I think the old regime would have had a full blown tribute to him at the next game the same as how TP & crew did.)

I'm certain that I'm missing a few items and I realize that any of these taken individually is not impressive. But to continue to claim that there aren't even "indicators" that things are different now is, IMHO, silly.

The 1st significant chance to make a modification to this team comes at the draft. It's only ~3 weeks away. I don't have a problem w/ waiting that long to see how things start to shake out. I won't be happy if they don't make a move there and I won't be happy if TC comes back, but I'm planning on waiting until we see the training camp roster before even beginning to make a judgement as to whether they seem to be moving quickly enough in the right direction or not. (I'll be pleased or displeased by what I see along the way, but I don't think we'll have seen enough to give a grade until mid-September. (Kind of like how I find rating the NFL draft on the Monday after it's done to be a wee tad premature.))

They've been listed a couple hundred times here, but here is a listing of items that would not have occurred under the former regime.

1. Rivet released.

8. Doing a few dozen little things such as providing free programs at the games.

10. Bringing in ALL the alumni that could make it to make them feel they're part of the "family."

11. Putting their prospects in the "prospect cup" (or whatever it's called in Detroit).

And here are some things that likely would not have happened under the previous regime.

4. Attempting (unsuccessfully, granted) to make a high profile trade at the deadline.

5. Having a tribute to Rico, more than just a moment of silence, w/in hours of his untimely passing. (I think the old regime would have had a full blown tribute to him at the next game the same as how TP & crew did.)

I'm certain that I'm missing a few items and I realize that any of these taken individually is not impressive. But to continue to claim that there aren't even "indicators" that things are different now is, IMHO, silly.

The 1st significant chance to make a modification to this team comes at the draft. It's only ~3 weeks away. I don't have a problem w/ waiting that long to see how things start to shake out. I won't be happy if they don't make a move there and I won't be happy if TC comes back, but I'm planning on waiting until we see the training camp roster before even beginning to make a judgement as to whether they seem to be moving quickly enough in the right direction or not. (I'll be pleased or displeased by what I see along the way, but I don't think we'll have seen enough to give a grade until mid-September. (Kind of like how I find rating the NFL draft on the Monday after it's done to be a wee tad premature.))

+1 Good post.

1. Rivet released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyhOtPAXK4

Ok, one more response because you made it easy.

While I don't believe they need a pp coach(9th in league), they haven't replaced McCutcheon yet so maybe you'll be satisfied when they do.

Signing top prospects wasn't a given this year. Without looking it all up, I know at least Philadelphia and Calgary lost 1st round picks they failed to resign.

I defer to the coming seasons on Stafford. With scream center he will be a 35 to 40 goal scorer.

While history shows I am no fan of TC, they got more value from him then they could've received at deadline.

Good bye now.

Actually I'll admit the PP was good this year, I'd just like to see it be consistently good, or at least above average, for more than one season before calling it more than a fluke year.

We don't know what Stafford will be, with or without Mr. Let's-hope-regier-signs-someone centering him, so for now we'll have to judge him on what he's actually done so far, which is one good season in a contract year.

Regier's MO is improving via drafting and development. Without being privvy to such information first-hand, I'd say Buffalo puts more effort into signing their draft picks and propspects than a team like Philly, who routinely plays big in the free agent market.

Will this change in the future? Who knows, but so far this is how he's been operating, and as long as nobody has first-hand information on exactly how much Quinn was hampering him, that's what we have to deal with.

Regier's MO is improving via drafting and development. Without being privvy to such information first-hand, I'd say Buffalo puts more effort into signing their draft picks and propspects than a team like Philly, who routinely plays big in the free agent market.

Will this change in the future? Who knows, but so far this is how he's been operating, and as long as nobody has first-hand information on exactly how much Quinn was hampering him, that's what we have to deal with.

I can see us maintaining this but leveraging for the occasional big fish to serve as a cog for a line or pairing. If you have the money and amenities (which we're working on), you can play big in FA. Not everyone has the wherewithal to be successful in drafting, so in a way, we're a step ahead of many organizations. Just tweak the philosophy a bit.

The Status Quo torch has been passed from Tim Connolly to Drew Stafford. They'll be chasing Stafford's potential as they have Connolly's for far too many years.

What kind of numbers were you expecting?

4x4 is a great contract.

If he went to Arby.....over 5 for sure.

1. Rivet released.

Good stuff. Draft day should be interesting. The post-season isn't finished yet either.

First priority is signing your own prospects and players.

What kind of numbers were you expecting?

4x4 is a great contract.

If he went to Arby.....over 5 for sure.

Isnt Arby's 5 for 5.95? I thought that was there deal... now I want some roast beef sandwiches.... wait, you....ooooo

Its right around what I thought and im fine with it, i thought it would be for shorter time but hey drew could turn into a legit consistent guy I'll give him next season before i pass judgment.

Isnt Arby's 5 for 5.95? I thought that was there deal... now I want some roast beef sandwiches.... wait you....ooooo

Its right around what I thought and im fine with it, i thought it would be for shorter time but hey drew could turn into a legit consistent guy Ill give him next season before i pass judgment.

I think his bottom is probably 20 goals from here out.

40 is not unthinkable..given a decent center.

It's a smart deal. I think it even looks better in a year.

I think his bottom is probably 20 goals from here out.

40 is not unthinkable..given a decent center.

It's a smart deal. I think it even looks better in a year.

yes, my whole argument for the last month was he isnt worth more than 4 and he didnt get it. Its fair for him and I think he could have a new attitude and I wonder if last season he started to develop it and with Tpegs in charge its blossomed into a work hard and play hard attitude. Staffs bottom line is 20 goals and I think he should get around 25 every season for the next 4 and if he gets a good center we could see that hit 30-40 maybe. It will be easier to tell in november. interestingly drew's recent goal scoring surge has coincided with the development of a strong wrist shot. I think one of his keys to success may be he has the puck for half a second but cranks off responsibly accurate shots and that helps him. I just dont wanna get my hopes to high that he is going to be pommers replacement and in the long run better.

Interesting that New York thinks Stafford may affect Dubinsky's deal....

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2011/6/6/2208511/new-york-rangers-analysis-brandon-dubinsky-contract

Can we say for once that the Sabres are setting the market?

Finally the sabres are setting the market. Its about time. Which brings up another question. If the rangers cant get rid of drury and sign richards... would they be interested in trading Dubinsky... so many ways this summer can play out and we should have some answers within the next 30 days.

Finally the sabres are setting the market. Its about time. Which brings up another question. If the rangers cant get rid of drury and sign richards... would they be interested in trading Dubinsky... so many ways this summer can play out and we should have some answers within the next 30 days.

They have Callahan to take care of too. (and Boyle)

I think if they take on Richards...they have to start trading and either move or buy out Drury.

Interesting. Drew scored more goals this year, but over the previous two seasons were comparable (though, switched in order.) However, in most other ways, I'd give the edge to Dubinsky. He is a center, is strong on faceoffs, plays with tons of heart, kills penalties well, etc. Here's an interesting hypothetical: if the Rangers were to sign Dubinsky to the same 4 x $4M contract, then later offered to trade the Sabres straight up for Stafford (maybe the Rangers look at Stafford's 31G as adding scoring, while the Sabres get to add a center), would anyone say no?

Interesting. Drew scored more goals this year, but over the previous two seasons were comparable (though, switched in order.) However, in most other ways, I'd give the edge to Dubinsky. He is a center, is strong on faceoffs, plays with tons of heart, kills penalties well, etc. Here's an interesting hypothetical: if the Rangers were to sign Dubinsky to the same 4 x $4M contract, then later offered to trade the Sabres straight up for Stafford (maybe the Rangers look at Stafford's 31G as adding scoring, while the Sabres get to add a center), would anyone say no?

I'd have to look into it a bit more but I like the idea.

I'd make that deal straight up.

NO :thumbsup:

Dubinsky for drew I would do but id rather trade some defense (sekera/butler) and some picks for dubs. Its an interesting scenario and I would guess that if the rangers sign Callahan they will not be interested as much in drew. Remember now that drew is locked up for 4 years he will outlast pommers and Boyes so they would be better trade options and drew is youngest with the most potential upside.

If the rangers want Richards and I think they do, my guess is they would be willing to take drurys hit for the last year of the contract if they could not find a suitable trade partner. If however they did move drury that changes the game. dubinsky is now easily sign-able and you could bring in richards still. So many scenarios could play out here but my guess is you need sekera, someone in portland (adam or byron or maybe they want kass) plus a first rounder for dubs.

Callahan makes drew a luxury pickup as opposed to a necessary one. Gaborik - Callahan - who cares - and who still cares? would be there depth chart. Its less of a need. I would think the way to go with NYR is to say which we have discussed else where, you give us Dubs n Drury we give you a defender on the team ( not myers) a prospect (not kassian) and our 1st rounder either this year or next and if Dubs signs with us (hes still a RFA) than we will toss in a 5th for the trouble and now you can go sign richards.

NO :thumbsup:

Dubinsky for drew I would do but id rather trade some defense (sekera/butler) and some picks for dubs. Its an interesting scenario and I would guess that if the rangers sign Callahan they will not be interested as much in drew.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest it as an actual deal, but rather a way to think about their relative values. If everyone says "definitely, hell yeah," then Stafford's contract would mean that $4.5M for Dubinsky would not be out of line. If everyone says "hmm, maybe and only because we need centers," then Drew's contract would be a good comparable. I doubt the Sabres or the Rangers would sign and swap as suggested. The more likely scenario would be that they trade Dubinsky for other assets after (if they do) securing Richards, and I would be all for exploring that deal.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest it as an actual deal, but rather a way to think about their relative values. If everyone says "definitely, hell yeah," then Stafford's contract would mean that $4.5M for Dubinsky would not be out of line. If everyone says "hmm, maybe and only because we need centers," then Drew's contract would be a good comparable. I doubt the Sabres or the Rangers would sign and swap as suggested. The more likely scenario would be that they trade Dubinsky for other assets after (if they do) securing Richards, and I would be all for exploring that deal.

lol the NO was actually meant in the way NO i would not say no. They are comparable and its a good thought. I think 4 mil for stafford is right on for what he deserves given last years performance. Dubinsky should expect the same and at least we are not sitting here now going Dubs got 4.5 so should stafford setting the market could have helped us a bit. Drew is honestly overpaid now by about .25mil but I am ok with that because at the end of next year we could saying drew is underpaid now by .5mil or more. I hope he gets stronger and works harder this summer but the sabres are on the verge of greatness, I just feel like they have players now who will even push the vets to the limits by never laying down and dying. Myers, Weber (if he plays like he did in the playoffs) Ennis, Gerbe, MAG, and then you got portland guys of Kassian, Foligno, and McNabb so there is the potential there for such a team that the cup finds its way here. Kassian, Ennis, and Dubinsky could rock your world. Stafford, Roy, Vanek could be good. We didnt get to see good vanek with good roy we just saw good roy last year. This team each year will improve from the experience alone. Mediocrity is no longer acceptable and unless i am mistaken it wil not be tolerated by Balck or Tpegs and we have already seen a fundamental shift in this teams philosophy.

The day this team is Myers, Weber, McNabb, Gragani, Ehrhoff/Bieksa, and Sekera/or vet and then up front we have Kassian, Ennis, Vanek, Roy, Goose, Stafford, Pavelski/Dubinsky, and then our grinders is the day I believe I will see the stanley cup paraded down Delaware ave (what? main street is a dump)

I could see where Sather needs to move somebody for cheap defense. That might fit.

Archived