Drew Stafford Contract

BuffaloFansR_Crazy

What they have pretty much done is given Stafford, Connolly's old salary, now need to find a #2 center, will have the increase in cap dollars eaten up by the RFAs, and need to replace Montador who was their most consistant D-man for the first 60 games of the season. It will be almost the exact same team as last season except it will cost more. Once they talk to Myers about long term, Katie bar the door.

Boyes, Stafford, Hecht, Pominville, Vanek.....$25 million. Suck on them apples as you send in your $7,000 for a pair of club seats.

It's a new game.

Take two of the players you listed, add the two salaries together and time which combination makes you through-up in your mouth the fastest.

Maybe the Stanley Cup is a "false idol" and isn't allowed in "Hockey Heaven."

It's a new game.

Take two of the players you listed, add the two salaries together and time which combination makes you through-up in your mouth the fastest.

Maybe the Stanley Cup is a "false idol" and isn't allowed in "Hockey Heaven."

There still isn't a guy here that would know what to do if you rolled a grenade into the middle of that lockerroom. 70% would try to run, Gaustad would pick it up to see if it met green technology standards, Miller would meditate on the meaning of war for 6 seconds, Kaleta would turtle, and Pominville would try to throw it out the door but it would go 6 feet wide and end up in Lindy's office. The only 3 guys who have a chance to do something of value are Grier, Weber and Gerbe. Grier would try jumping on it but be a half second slow, and Gerbe would bury it under the carpet and kill everyone anyway. Weber is our only long-term hope of a captain.

You guys do realize they finished 29-11-6 without a center of any repute? A team as soft and weak as you depict would have called it a season after Roy went down.

I said 70% of them are soft. The guys that aren't don't know how to lead a war yet, and haven't had anyone to show them how.

And unfortunately, they are 0-1 after Roy's return.

There still isn't a guy here that would know what to do if you rolled a grenade into the middle of that lockerroom. 70% would try to run, Gaustad would pick it up to see if it met green technology standards, Miller would meditate on the meaning of war for 6 seconds, Kaleta would turtle, and Pominville would try to throw it out the door but it would go 6 feet wide and end up in Lindy's office. The only 3 guys who have a chance to do something of value are Grier, Weber and Gerbe. Grier would try jumping on it but be a half second slow, and Gerbe would bury it under the carpet and kill everyone anyway. Weber is our only long-term hope of a captain.

This made me laugh : ) and there's some truth behind some of these scenarios lol

Say goodbye to Pominville.

There is no way he avoids the attrition gods this off season.

I'll take a stab at it and say the only reason we didn't see Boyes on the Vanek line as the right wing after he was picked up was strictly due to the center situation. And Pominville can't play the position, not to say Boyes could either but obviously the choice between the 2 was Boyes. That to me spells some diversity in the player.

Buffalo didn't pick Boyes up for a playoff run and Pegula, Black and Regier all stated that any pickup at the deadline was not for an end season run. With Boyes value being less then Pominville's and Stafford and Boyes splitting much of Pominville's special teams duties on PK and PP, my deduction is that Pomers is history.

I love the deal! It's maybe $500K more than I would have preferred, but Hamilton or whoever is right -- arbitration would likely have meant paying more. I also like the long term contract, hopefully Stafford can build on this breakout season and maybe next year or two seasons from now he will be a steal at $4 mil. With Connolly out of the fold, it's really not eating up too much cap space, but you are starting to get a pretty heavily paid offense that hasn't produced like one -- Pommer at 5 mil, Vanek at 7, Stafford at 4, Boyes at 4, Roy at 4... but if you consider Kassian/Foligno/Adam (if any of them make the squad) will be playing on entry level deals, while McCormick/Niedermayer/Grier/Ellis (if any of them are brought back) will be near the league minimum -- so they can make it work.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already (sorry as I did not read the whole thread) but this could be the first step in a big trade -- got Stafford locked up, now Boyes/Pominville/Roy can be shipped with our first rounder for the rights to Brad Richards, or perhaps to move up in the draft and select a more NHL-ready player.

....but you are starting to get a pretty heavily paid offense that hasn't produced like one -- Pommer at 5 mil, Vanek at 7, Stafford at 4, Boyes at 4, Roy at 4...

Should've started and ended the post with this phrase. Pretty much sez it all.

I'm vey "meh" with the dollars. But if the contract includes a NTC I am very disappointed. Them's handcuffs. It leaves us exactly zero flexibilty if we expect to go out and get center depth. And we need centers a hella lot more than we needed to firm up our RW's.

happened just like Paul Hamilton of WGR 550 theorized in one of his interviews a few weeks ago...said the Sabres are gonna want 3 million, Stafford will want 5 million and they likely will agree somewhere in the middle around 4 million...

Kudos Paul!

Should've started and ended the post with this phrase. Pretty much sez it all.

I'm vey "meh" with the dollars. But if the contract includes a NTC I am very disappointed. Them's handcuffs. It leaves us exactly zero flexibilty if we expect to go out and get center depth. And we need centers a hella lot more than we needed to firm up our RW's.

Darcy apparently likes not being able to operate freely.

4 mill. a year isn't bad, but a NTC for a guy like Stafford is ridiculous.

Another "core" player who isn't going anywhere - ever - added to the list.

What incentive exactly does Drew have for showing up now? His will to win and compete? If that's what we're hanging our hats on, I expect a 7 goal 15 assist season coming up.

Oh well, could've been 5 mill. :wallbash:

Darcy apparently likes not being able to operate freely.

4 mill. a year isn't bad, but a NTC for a guy like Stafford is ridiculous.

Another "core" player who isn't going anywhere - ever - added to the list.

What incentive exactly does Drew have for showing up now? His will to win and compete? If that's what we're hanging our hats on, I expect a 7 goal 15 assist season coming up.

Oh well, could've been 5 mill. :wallbash:

The Status Quo torch has been passed from Tim Connolly to Drew Stafford. They'll be chasing Stafford's potential as they have Connolly's for far too many years.

This contract is exactly why fans were hoping Pegula would bring in an actual "hockey guy." Someone to keep Status Quo in check and prevent them from overvaluing and overpaying the same old uninspiring players.

The Status Quo torch has been passed from Tim Connolly to Drew Stafford. They'll be chasing Stafford's potential as they have Connolly's for far too many years.

This contract is exactly why fans were hoping Pegula would bring in an actual "hockey guy." Someone to keep Status Quo in check and prevent them from overvaluing and overpaying the same old uninspiring players.

So I guess you won't be a Sabres fan anymore. That's too bad.

Stafford speaks:

“I’m very, very excited that a deal got done,” Stafford told The Associated Press by phone shortly after the deal was announced. “Buffalo’s an organization that I believe is going in the right direction. I’m just so excited and feel very privileged to be a part of this organization’s future. I just believe we have a chance to bring a championship to the city of Buffalo.”

“I believe I just took a step in the right direction in becoming a better player,” Stafford said. “I plan on continuing to get better and build on last season.”

This is exactly where I would have pegged Stafford's value after this season. The fact the Sabres locked him up for 4 years at this contract is huge. If he performs like he did this year throughout the contract, this could end up being a total bargain in much the same way Derek Roy's contract is. However, if he goes into contractitis like he has been known to in the past next year, this may be a waste. However, I will say that I saw a different Stafford on the ice this year, and I think he will elevate his game to the next level. This is a very good deal for both sides in my opinion.

For those complaining about this contract, I am curious as to what you would have done. If the Sabres do not sign him to a multiple-year deal, he goes to arbitration where as a 30 goal scorer last year he almost certainly would have received at least $5 mil, perhaps closer to $6 mil. That really puts the team in a box. Now you have a one year player with an over valued contract who would be next to impossible to trade given that over value and pending UFA status. So what would they do - let him walk?

4x4 is a good deal for Stafford. I think we are all concerned that he reverts to his previous level of play, but clearly Sabres management is in a better position to judge that than any of us. They have locked up a significant asset in an affordable contract. As for the NTC discussion, I have not seen that reported from any credible source so I do not think that should be taken as fact.

Archived