Drew Stafford Contract

BuffaloFansR_Crazy

I don't question his heart and also don't blame him for obtaining a ridiculous contract. But it's time to cut bait here. He's a symbol of a failed experiment, an era of hockey that I want to bury. I wish him the best and look forward to the new blood taking his place.

I think that even if Connolly was the best option out there I don't want to hear of him re-signed by Buffalo. There would be a certain symbolism to him coming back. As you mention, he represents an era that just didn't work out very well at all. A new body represents change. Terry Pegula talked of change. I haven't seen any changes yet. It's time to replace more than just a rug, even if it is only symbolic at this point.

That's not flying off the handle, that's me expressing my concerns of any of the "the core" being given a NTC.

When I fly off the handle, I swear and curse a lot.

Seriously, would any of "the core" actually need a NTC? Nothing has changed. Status Quo is not going to move any of "their guys."

Darcy and Pegula are on record saying that they need to stay between 1-2 million under the cap in the name of flexibility.

Even if they raise the cap to 62, that leaves you with 10 tops to replace your #2 center and the leader in plus/minus on your defense. That brings you right back to where you were last year.

And for all you crack smokers who think "Oh...we'll just trade someone and make room." Boyes was only worth a 2nd round pick at the most valuable time of year with 24 other teams possibly being interested at a playoff run. What's he worth now? The only way you get rid of Pominville or Hecht now is if you take an even higher priced underachieving veteran in return. Nobody wants to make up for your mistakes.

Your only real value is young guys that performed beyond their salary. The Myers, Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Enroth, Sekera. And if you move them, you will be taking on salary and still need to replace bodies.

Quality GM's can keep a dozen plates spinning and move with urgency. Darcy slowly spins a few plates, and just when he figures out how to get one more going, another begins to crash.

I'm sure everyone who thinks that is a 'crack smoker' <_< Get over yourself.

I'm calling ###### on that right there. The only way you would follow thru on that is if they went 82-0 with a 100% pp and pk and a 1.50 goals against. lol

Not true, I would bitch if they ever took a penalty.

I would love it if someone would take the handcuffs off me. This isn't aimed at you since you are having fun with it, but I laugh how people try and label someone as being "negative" all the time. Here's the deal.....we've had the same people in charge the past 14 years....how can you say somebody is negative when they are responding to and discussing the exact same thing which they don't believe in for going on two decades? Watching many here lament about negativity is like watching the person at the carnival trying to win the 8 foot teddy bear. I refuse to constantly feed dollars to something that I feel can't be won without a stroke of amazing luck. Then I become the bad guy for telling someone they might be better off spending that money on a funnel cake instead of trying to throw the ring over the peg.

I feel that because of this familiarity of seeing the exact same people make decisions for 14 years, I have identified their fatal flaws, and limiting factors. To me, they are too much to overcome. The frustrating thing is that most of it seems obvious to me. I understand the fan psychology of trying to stay positive and keep hope, but I was a teenager when these guys came into power for the love of God. We aren't talking Bear Bryant or Joe Pa'.....we are talking 2 spurts of success because of table tilting rules changes and inheriting a once in a generation goaltender. You could have let a monkey fill out the lineup card for the Yankees 50 years ago and the team probably still would have won a pennant.

I'm happy Pegula bought the team. He doesn't need to worry about money and I enjoy watching the passion of his family.

I like Ted Black. He's a thinker that can see cause and effects where many can't. He's a pretty straight shooter who can say spontaneous and honest things. I like how he has reached out to the fans.

I like the makeup of the players more than I have in the past, but again, their potential and personalities may be limited and dampered by the 2 decade system of control.

I really wish I could believe that this team had a real chance. I enjoy watching sports and looking forward to events. I've been around too long to suspend reality at this point though.

Seriously, would any of "the core" actually need a NTC? Nothing has changed. Status Quo is not going to move any of "their guys."

I certainly haven't seen anything so far to make me disagree.

Quite the contrary.

I thought they started out nicely by buying out Rivet, but other than it's been business as usual, i.e. no business at all.

They bought out Rivet two or three days before the deadline and then made a nice deadline day deal. They signed all their top prospects, signed their priority RFA, committed to a change in their coaching staff, tool the reins off their scouting director to send scouts wherever they need to go and to bring prospects to Buffalo for first time face to face interviews.

What exactly would you have liked to have seen done before the actual if not factual trading season starts?

They bought out Rivet two or three days before the deadline and then made a nice deadline day deal. They signed all their top prospects, signed their priority RFA, committed to a change in their coaching staff, tool the reins off their scouting director to send scouts wherever they need to go and to bring prospects to Buffalo for first time face to face interviews.

What exactly would you have liked to have seen done before the actual if not factual trading season starts?

Well put. I don't know why people seemed to expect Pegula to take over and immediately start shipping out dead weight. And aside from all the roster-related points you made, there's also the alumni ceremony, reaching out to the fans for suggestions, locker room renovations, the purchase of the Amerks to re-unite a convenient affiliate (even if it's a few years down the road). There's been a ton of change in the organization, just not yet on the roster-- that will come with time. Not a player on our roster played particularly bad under TP, so here's a scary thought for the DeLucas of the board --- maybe Pegula gave everyone a clean sheet, a "forget the past, all that matters is what happens in the future" type of thing. These obviously aren't players TP drafted so there's a bit of a weeding out process.

Their deadline deal however was more of the same. Acquiring an average to undersized skill player who is overpaid and doesn't bring much in the physicality or leadership department. It's fine if you are attracted to overweight latina women with no career path.....just don't get upset when I am not thrilled about the choice when you are picking them for me by proxy.

So far the changes have been like putting in an inground pool and deck in the backyard of your Kaisertown ranch. Doesn't do much for the property value.

Well put. I don't know why people seemed to expect Pegula to take over and immediately start shipping out dead weight. And aside from all the roster-related points you made, there's also the alumni ceremony, reaching out to the fans for suggestions, locker room renovations, the purchase of the Amerks to re-unite a convenient affiliate (even if it's a few years down the road). There's been a ton of change in the organization, just not yet on the roster-- that will come with time. Not a player on our roster played particularly bad under TP, so here's a scary thought for the DeLucas of the board --- maybe Pegula gave everyone a clean sheet, a "forget the past, all that matters is what happens in the future" type of thing. These obviously aren't players TP drafted so there's a bit of a weeding out process.

I was hoping that someone who was able to make $3 billion+ and just made a $170MM investment would have had different ideas of how this franchise has been mismanaged and be ready to make real changes on the fly given his interest in purchasing the team going back 2 years.

98% of what goes into the end product on the ice has remained the same. I tend to look at grown men making millions of dollars a year with more objectivity than sentiment. It is fine to balance the two, but too much fandom and emotion going into decision making only makes for a longer haul most of the time.

I don't question his heart and also don't blame him for obtaining a ridiculous contract. But it's time to cut bait here. He's a symbol of a failed experiment, an era of hockey that I want to bury. I wish him the best and look forward to the new blood taking his place.

if he signs for the right amount, like 2 mil a year, i dont have a problem at all. If anything the old symbol of a failed experiment could become a symbol of "management has a clue now" We pick up him as a third line center and as laich as a second liner, we still have the ability to move adam up and down.

Signing Timmer for 2 mil as a thrid line center should be seen as the same exact situation as the whole hypothetical "let's bring in drury as a third liner for two million a year if the rangers buy him out" thing.

A few points for Drane before I go for the day:

a) I would have liked to have seen them add a senior adviser hockey guy and I still expect to see some additions to the hockey department.

B) So far, I have seen no player added by another team since the Pegkla era started that has caused me to say damn, why didn't Darcy do that.

C) I think Boyes will prove to be a very good addition

D) Finally, I look at the same scenario and think the guy that has been so successful has seen things from the inside amd believes they are headed in the right direction. I understand the doubt shared by you, Deluca and others. I just don't understand the certainty that you are right.

Iginla immediately makes Vanek more valuable and adds to a powerplay that suddenly makes a guy like Gaustad viable on it and even as an occasional center between the two on a regular shift. If you have a legit #1 line that can eat up minutes and produce, then bringing Connolly back isn't as disgusting. I could live with Vanek/Roy/Iginla, Is a trade like this realistic if the Sabres are willing to let go of the blankie and admit a change in tactics might serve them well?....yes.

!!!!

Iginla, Vanek and anybody else..please don't say

Roy again unless were talking second or third line center or winger.

PLEASE DO NOT

I think this is an important bullet point. Despite appearing to be the prototypical Darcy deadline pickup, he's still got a lot of upside. It's been a couple years since Vanek scored 40 goals, yet people still call him a 40-goal scorer and most will agree that if he had a true #1 center he would hit 40 again -- why can't the same be said about Boyes? That same #1 center could elevate Boyes back to 30 goals. Maybe it's Boyes that completes that top line of Vanek & a center, and not Stafford as we've all assumed.

I think this is an important bullet point. Despite appearing to be the prototypical Darcy deadline pickup, he's still got a lot of upside. It's been a couple years since Vanek scored 40 goals, yet people still call him a 40-goal scorer and most will agree that if he had a true #1 center he would hit 40 again -- why can't the same be said about Boyes? That same #1 center could elevate Boyes back to 30 goals. Maybe it's Boyes that completes that top line of Vanek & a center, and not Stafford as we've all assumed.

That's an interesting idea. I always had him pegged on the second line but you're right, he has had a breakout year in the past and shown he's capable of scoring. A second line of Roy Pommers and Stafford would also be decent. Youd have one defensive minded guy, a decent scorer and a playmaker on the same line. Getting that number 1 center is still the main focus of the offseason. Getting that second Dman would be great and a third line center would be nice too but I think our top 12 forwards would be legit with one top tier centerman.

At 4 mill. a year, I don't think Boyes is a "nice deal", but I'll say that at least the jury's still out on him.

They signed their top prospects? Wouldn't they be foolish not to? Should I be impressed? If so, why?

Did they bring in a bonafide PP coach? If so, I'll give them props for trying, regardless of the outcome.

I think Drew Stafford at 4 mill. is crazy, but I'll also admit that they probably got him cheaper than I expected, as the price for such a player is ridiculously high. Will they get a decent return on him? Remains to be seen, I suppose.

I would have liked to see Tim Connolly gone at the deadline, before he lost his last shred of value, that's actually the extent of traing I would've liked to see. Now, I just want Darcy to come right out and say that he won't bring him back.

Ok, one more response because you made it easy.

While I don't believe they need a pp coach(9th in league), they haven't replaced McCutcheon yet so maybe you'll be satisfied when they do.

Signing top prospects wasn't a given this year. Without looking it all up, I know at least Philadelphia and Calgary lost 1st round picks they failed to resign.

I defer to the coming seasons on Stafford. With scream center he will be a 35 to 40 goal scorer.

While history shows I am no fan of TC, they got more value from him then they could've received at deadline.

Good bye now.

a) I would have liked to have seen them add a senior adviser hockey guy and I still expect to see some additions to the hockey department.

B) So far, I have seen no player added by another team since the Pegula era started that has caused me to say damn, why didn't Darcy do that.

D) Finally, I look at the same scenario and think the guy that has been so successful has seen things from the inside amd believes they are headed in the right direction. I understand the doubt shared by you, Deluca and others. I just don't understand the certainty that you are right.

Very well stated.

The only thing that I'd add is to point D. We will have an opportunity at the draft to see whether "real" change has permeated the organization. That is where they'll have a legit opportunity to really start to change this team around.

I don't know that they will make moves at the draft, but all the indicators are pointing towards it.

Since TP bought the team there have been several indicators that things ARE changing at 1SHK3P. I'm willing to give this crew the benefit of the doubt for now. I believe they've earned it.

Very well stated.

The only thing that I'd add is to point D. We will have an opportunity at the draft to see whether "real" change has permeated the organization. That is where they'll have a legit opportunity to really start to change this team around.

I don't know that they will make moves at the draft, but all the indicators are pointing towards it.

Since TP bought the team there have been several indicators that things ARE changing at 1SHK3P. I'm willing to give this crew the benefit of the doubt for now. I believe they've earned it.

That's where I stand too. Maybe I'm naive, or the idea of change to an orgainization that has been stale for a few years now has got me to this point but let's give them a chance. When they bought the team they stated they wanted to make Buffalo a destination for Free Agents. To begin making this a reality, they are renovating and upgrading the player facilities. Change is already in the works. They've thus far carried through with many of their promises and I have full confidence that change to the roster will come this offseason. I, for one will be giving this ownership group the benefit of the doubt. To relate this back to the thread, I have reason to doubt that the last ownership group would be willing to pay to keep Stafford. If they weren't ready to spend the bucks then Darcy would be trading from a position of weakness and I don't know what return we would have yielded.

Very well stated.

Agreed. The adoration by this ownership of Ilitch is sometimes mocked, but it tells me that they are setting the bar higher than it has ever been here. We have such a small body of work to analyze, which is why the Boyes trade and the rug are often key points of their production or non-production. We can't assess trends for some time. I for one, will patiently wait to critique until next trade deadline. You can't change in magnitude in 3.5 months. Let's see what they can do in a year.

Very well stated.

What "indicators?" So far all the "indicators" point to business as usual. Same GM, same coach, trade deadline bust and over paying for their own players. Are you determining that there will be trades at the draft based on the new rug? That is the only significant change.

At 4 mill. a year, I don't think Boyes is a "nice deal", but I'll say that at least the jury's still out on him.

They signed their top prospects? Wouldn't they be foolish not to? Should I be impressed? If so, why?

Did they bring in a bonafide PP coach? If so, I'll give them props for trying, regardless of the outcome.

I think Drew Stafford at 4 mill. is crazy, but I'll also admit that they probably got him cheaper than I expected, as the price for such a player is ridiculously high. Will they get a decent return on him? Remains to be seen, I suppose.

I would have liked to see Tim Connolly gone at the deadline, before he lost his last shred of value, that's actually the extent of traing I would've liked to see. Now, I just want Darcy to come right out and say that he won't bring him back.

Making "Sophie's Choice' would be easier for Regier.

a) I would have liked to have seen them add a senior adviser hockey guy and I still expect to see some additions to the hockey department.B) So far, I have seen no player added by another team since the Pegkla era started that has caused me to say damn, why didn't Darcy do that.

As for point a:

Rick Dudley was just bought out today by the Winnipeg ownership group.

Dudley for assistant GM to oversee scouting? Is it a position that would interest him here in Buffalo given the massive expansion of the scouting dept. taking place, he owns a home here and has past connections to the organization and Lindy as a player?

What "indicators?" So far all the "indicators" point to business as usual. Same GM, same coach, trade deadline bust and over paying for their own players. Are you determining that there will be trades at the draft based on the new rug? That is the only significant change.

Bringing on Boyes at 4 mil and not jettisoning any salary at the deadline tells me that salary will be shed this off season.

Some speculation here, but Monty and Connolly would be my guess at that theory.

Going on that speculation, it is reasonable to assume Buffalo will have to address the center position, both on one of the scoring lines as well as depth.

Going further on into it, the FA market outside of Richards doesn't look promising enough to address that need. The only deductions I would have would be draft day or a deal after July 1st as teams start to fill in their rosters.

Going even deeper, the draft makes the most sense to swing a deal of this nature given the increased amount of organizational assets to wheel and deal with (i.e. draft picks before they are utilized).

Of course, you may be correct as well and Regier may be caught picking his nose again at the draft table around pick number 8. ;)

I don't believe that I have seen it discussed in this thread as yet and, if so, my apologies. Is it possible that Drew Stafford was signed to the 4 yr, $4 mill/yr contract so that he might be included in a bigger deal? Seems like mid-low market price for a 30 goal scorer and might be attractive in a trade package to another team in need of a RW. Am thinking that trading an unsigned RFA would be more difficult but uncertain of rules that govern such things. Just a thought...

I don't believe that I have seen it discussed in this thread as yet and, if so, my apologies. Is it possible that Drew Stafford was signed to the 4 yr, $4 mill/yr contract so that he might be included in a bigger deal? Seems like mid-low market price for a 30 goal scorer and might be attractive in a trade package to another team in need of a RW. Am thinking that trading an unsigned RFA would be more difficult but uncertain of rules that govern such things. Just a thought...

Sure it's possible.

My own opinion, one of Boyes($4 mil), Stafford($4 mil) or Pominville($5.3) will be gone either draft day or afterwards in a trade. To many RWer's on this roster at high prices.

13 players currently signed at $44,842,024 cap hit with $14,557,976 projected space remaining. That's not much for 8 to 10 more players to be signed and Enroth, Sekera, Weber, Gragnani, Butler and Gerbe as unsigned RFA's, McCormick is a UFA. I know these are all young kids, but I'll guess 14.5 mil doesn't get these guys re-signed and replace Connolly, Niedermayer and Grier.

I'd suspect some sort of trade is coming in an attempt to both shore up the center position and maybe a trade or an FA signing for a D man.

My guess is one of Sekera, Butler, Weber or Gragnani may be gone along with one of the RWer's. Just a guess though.

Archived