Barnaby arrested

Two or less

Gotta think his job at ESPN is in major question now....

Former Sabre arrested for domestic violence

AMHERST, N.Y. (WIVB) - Former Buffalo Sabre Matthew Barnaby was arrested Friday night, charged with domestic violence.

Amherst Police responded to a location at 6:15 p.m. and found serious damage to property. The location is being kept private to protect two female victims, who police say were not injured.

The former right winger was arrested and charged with second degree criminal contempt, harassment, second degree criminal trespass, and second degree criminal mischief. Police say after leaving the location, he made angry phone calls, and Barnaby has also been charged with aggravated harassment via a cell phone.

Barnaby, who turned 38 just over a week ago, will spend Friday night in jail and be arraigned Saturday morning in Amherst Town Court. He played for the Sabres from 1992-1999.

Link- http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/erie/Former-Sabre-arrested-for-domestic-violence

I know he has been dating Michelle Beadle from ESPN, i wonder if she was one of the females involved?

Oh man. I hate hearing this. Obviously for the girls who were involved mostly. But we met Matt Barnaby a long time ago at, of all places, Chuck E Cheeses when we were there with our son for a birthday party. Barnaby was there with his kid and our sons played together for awhile. We talked. He seemed like a good dad and a pretty decent guy overall. I had the idea that maybe his on ice persona was completely different from his off ice persona. Maybe not.

My wife is gonna hate hearing this. She works with domestic violence cases. She is not gonna like hearing that Matt is wrapped up in this ######.

There is always a door. You don't do something stupid when walking out a door is an option. :censored:

Beadle was not involved according to this web site-

ESPN analyst Matthew Barnaby arrested: Matthew Barnaby, former Sabres player and current ESPN analyst, was arrested tonight for second degree criminal contempt, harassment, second degree criminal trespass, and second degree criminal mischief in Buffalo, NY. The biglead.com has learned that ESPN’s Michelle Beadle, who is dating Matthew Barnaby, was not involved.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/05/13/former-sabre-matthew-barnaby-arrested-in-domestic-dispute/

This makes sense. I had heard that when Barnaby fought on the ice he would quite often call his opponents 'girl' as he hit them.

One of the funniest things I ever saw on the ice (and it was funny in a sad and pathetic way, not ha, ha funny) was Barnaby in '95 trying to get Ciccone to fight in a game the Bolts were crushing the Sabres. He slammed into Ciccone, who just laughed, and then he dropped his gloves and started pummeling Enrico. Enrico stood motionless w/ his hands in the air looking to the ref w/ the look of wtf, can I pummel him back if he actually lands a shot. He didn't need to worry as none of the 80 or so punches thrown did anything.

Barnaby got a 2, 5, and a game and Ciccone got nothing.

At least it wasn't as bad as going for a full 4 person pk line change w/ 10 seconds left in the 2nd period against the Devils that year, that gave them a 2 on 0 and an extra goal heading into the 3rd.

I feel bad for the guy. Most domestics go unnoticed but since he's a sports icon it's immediately news.

Too bad. Dude had a good gig going with ESPN. Pulling a 'Hasek' carries a lot more weight these days than it used to.

I feel bad for the guy. Most domestics go unnoticed but since he's a sports icon it's immediately news.

Too bad. Dude had a good gig going with ESPN. Pulling a 'Hasek' carries a lot more weight these days than it used to.

I don't feel bad for him at all if there was any violence against those women. If there was, he deserves every bit of publicity he gets.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate. He made angry phone calls... Serious damage to property means... what? The two female victims were unhurt...

I once destroyed a cell phone while in a fight with my wife. She once destroyed a shirt I was wearing by grabbing and purposely ripping it (it was a thin). Property was seriously (actually mortally) damaged in both cases, but the victim was unhurt. I know I would never actually hurt her, but I could see myself punch a wall or something if the circumstances were right.

And the angry cell phone calls. Oh, the angry cell phone calls! OK, well, they would have been if she'd have only picked up. (She didn't.)

I'd feel better about this if the two combatants had been arrested, because they are likely both responsible. My wife (I think) and I have learned over the years where not to go in an argument. Can I get her mad enough to physical damage? Probably. Can she do the same to me? Yup. But as a married couple, who are in this for the long run, why go there?

If someone were hurt, or the police had to intervene while he was there I would think differently. But this seems like an Ex just using the Law to win a domestic dispute.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate. He made angry phone calls... Serious damage to property means... what? The two female victims were unhurt...

I once destroyed a cell phone while in a fight with my wife. She once destroyed a shirt I was wearing by grabbing and purposely ripping it (it was a thin). Property was seriously (actually mortally) damaged in both cases, but the victim was unhurt. I know I would never actually hurt her, but I could see myself punch a wall or something if the circumstances were right.

And the angry cell phone calls. Oh, the angry cell phone calls! OK, well, they would have been if she'd have only picked up. (She didn't.)

I'd feel better about this if the two combatants had been arrested, because they are likely both responsible. My wife (I think) and I have learned over the years where not to go in an argument. Can I get her mad enough to physical damage? Probably. Can she do the same to me? Yup. But as a married couple, who are in this for the long run, why go there?

If someone were hurt, or the police had to intervene while he was there I would think differently. But this seems like an Ex just using the Law to win a domestic dispute.

Maybe. But we weren't there, we only know the facts released at this point. There could be a lot more that he did, or vice versa.

The point is.....DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. He's an up an coming analyst for the biggest sports media corporation on the planet. Why on earth would you want to jeopardize that for an ex?

Maybe. But we weren't there, we only know the facts released at this point. There could be a lot more that he did, or vice versa.

The point is.....DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. He's an up an coming analyst for the biggest sports media corporation on the planet. Why on earth would you want to jeopardize that for an ex?

Who knows... Maybe he had the kid(s) this weekend and he was just picking them up.

I found this posted by someone on another forum-

Info from the Amherst Police feed and the Erie County Sheriff feed at radioreference.com:

First he was at his exes house in Amherst NY harassing her.

He then drove off to the sports performance center at the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence NY looking for and eventually harassing her boyfriend. He was extremely volatile and intoxicated according to police.

The Amherst Police and Erie County Sheriff got to the mall and didn’t see him there. Eventually they made contact with him over the phone and he said he would wait for them at a home (his?) in Clarence NY.

The State Police went to a home in Clarence NY but they could not find him or his car there. At this point, all three agencies started looking all over town with multiple cars including his favorite bars: Brennans, Elmos and The Amherst Ale House, and St.Gregory The Great Church.

Eventually, he was found and arrested by the Erie County Sheriff. He faces charges in Amherst NY by the Amherst Police and in Clarence NY by the Erie County Sheriff.

There was a lot of confusion over whether or not his ex had an order of protection against him, however the Sheriff suspected they might have been so new that they were not in the system yet.

The ordeal lasted for over an hour.

Arraigned and released this morning.

They most likely threw him in the can for the night to sober up. Odds are he was pretty gassed up. I spent a night in the N. Tonawanda clink once. Wonder if Amherst's digs are nicer cause NT's were terrible.

They most likely threw him in the can for the night to sober up. Odds are he was pretty gassed up. I spent a night in the N. Tonawanda clink once. Wonder if Amherst's digs are nicer cause NT's were terrible.

Orange bars, hard wooden bench..7 bars down firfteen across....Cold...and the handcuffs are painful:)

Barnaby releases a statement:

"The past few months have been difficult on our entire family, as my wife and I decided to seperate and divorce. Last evening, there was an unfortunate disagreement between us regarding a family matter. There was never any physical violence or threat of physical violence involved. I would like to ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time, and hope that this will be resolved quickly and amicably."

Link- http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6547638

Archived