Things I LIKE About this Series

Stormin Norman

How about the fact that the sabres were IN the series? Never, would I have guessed that at New Years. Heck, a month ago I had serious doubts.

The fact that they are taking it to a game 7.

The kids are getting experience in pressure games--every game has been a one-goal game. Pressure makes diamonds.

Gerbe and Ennis are too small to make a difference in the playoffs...really?

Bad things:

Jeremy Roenick's return to prominence behind a mic.

+1 I really have to stop thinking like the season is over and reflecting and looking forward. Having said that, to get to where they are is unbelievable thinking back to New Years. Having Roy play tomorrow is the team comming a full circle. Let's go win this Game 7!

Oh and as for this series, I'm pretty pumped about how physical this team has played and how well the young D have stepped up.

If Monty walks they're left with:

Myers-Sekera

Leopold-Butler

Weber-Gragnani

Morrisson

I don't think Persson or Brennan are ready for the NHL but are probably ok to have as 8th Dmen playing in Portland, so barring a veteran signing or trade they have their 7 NHL Dmen in my opinion.

Whether it be Monty re-signing or bringing in a different vet, I'd very much expect them to bring in 1 more D and then either go w/ 8 on the big squad (been done before) or use 1 of the younger guys as part of a trade.

That is a VEEERY young top 7 (only Leopold is over 30), especially when the only other guy over 25 will probably spend a fair amount of time as the odd-man-out.

If Monty walks they're left with:

Myers-Sekera

Leopold-Butler

Weber-Gragnani

Morrisson

I don't think Persson or Brennan are ready for the NHL but are probably ok to have as 8th Dmen playing in Portland, so barring a veteran signing or trade they have their 7 NHL Dmen in my opinion.

Young but not bad. Wouldn't mind trading Butler to help get us that top centre.

I think Goose has acquitted himself very nicely. I know, he's been on the ice for some goals, but I can excuse that when he's constantly on the ice against the Philly's best players. He's been in everyone's face, particularly Hartnell. I hope he's quelled some of the haters.

I think Goose has acquitted himself very nicely. I know, he's been on the ice for some goals, but I can excuse that when he's constantly on the ice against the Philly's best players. He's been in everyone's face, particularly Hartnell. I hope he's quelled some of the haters.

I love his drive and toughness. If he was even average around the opposition net then he'd be a top 6 forward. I'm still ok with him being a good to very good 3rd line center though. Just envision him next year with Gerbe and Kassian at the wings....

Whether it be Monty re-signing or bringing in a different vet, I'd very much expect them to bring in 1 more D and then either go w/ 8 on the big squad (been done before) or use 1 of the younger guys as part of a trade.

That is a VEEERY young top 7 (only Leopold is over 30), especially when the only other guy over 25 will probably spend a fair amount of time as the odd-man-out.

The last thing I want to see is Montador in a Sabres uniform next year. He has been by far our worst dman basically since we started winning.

I love his drive and toughness. If he was even average around the opposition net then he'd be a top 6 forward. I'm still ok with him being a good to very good 3rd line center though. Just envision him next year with Gerbe and Kassian at the wings....

One of my favorite things about the series is seeing a great forechecking shift by Goose/Kaleta/Gerbe (give or take), 40 seconds of attack time. Cycling, cycling, cycling. (Actually, Ennis/Staff have had some great shifts like this too in recent games.) Shifts like these can be very momentum-changing, especially with the ridiculous amount of time the Flyers are pressuring in OUR zone.

Great thread, Norman. Lots of great posts here.

A few of my favorite things:

1. The ferocity with which Miller has been defended.

2. Kaleta

3. Gragnani

4. Ennis' OT winner

5. Myers

6. Miller's 2 masterpieces, especially game 4.

7. Gaustad -- there's your next captain.

8. Lindy

9. The fact that we are going into Philly tonight and we are taking them out.

There's definitely some. I hope it's not a 'lot.'

One of the other things I wasn't thrilled w/ Muckler was trading a lot of young promising D for over the hill guys. This group COULD be very special in a few years. I'd rather have them here when we finally get a real honest-to-goodness #1 center than be rebuilding the D again.

That the goal is to win a SC in the next 3 years leads me to believe we'll only see 1-2 of those guys traded, not 3+.

They have to get that #1 center somehow...

They have to get that #1 center somehow...

Yeah, and I know it won't happen, but I'd be very happy to see Brad Richards wearing classic b&g this July (well, technically October, but you know what I meant).

Hockey heaven, dude, hockey heaven.

And I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see 1 or 2 of the young guys gone in deals to make improvements to the team. However, if they send 3 or more of them away, we'd better see a Shea Weber type wearing b&g, or I will not be happy.

This line has pleasantly surprised me. Goose & Gerbe have developed a good chemistry between them and Goose is probably the reason Gerbe started playing better down the stretch. Gaustad's been the best player on the ice throughout the series.

Even if they lose tonight (oops - sorry for the negative vibe), I'm happy with the way they played this series...unlike the bitter taste after last year's exit.

Yeah, and I know it won't happen, but I'd be very happy to see Brad Richards wearing classic b&g this July (well, technically October, but you know what I meant).

Hockey heaven, dude, hockey heaven.

And I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see 1 or 2 of the young guys gone in deals to make improvements to the team. However, if they send 3 or more of them away, we'd better see a Shea Weber type wearing b&g, or I will not be happy.

I'd settle for someone who can grow Shea Weber's beard.

Not sure I was a hater, but I know I was a doubter. I've now love his game. Particularly with Gerbe on his wing.

Hmm, I thought Kassian is a Lucic like player. Maybe next year that will happen, but Kassian is top 6 eventually. So is Gerbe, I think.

Gerbe has been great to watch. I can't remember who he did it to, but it looked like he was fighting for the puck in the Flyer zone, and he just picked up his man along the boards and dropped him. I love that attitude of his!

An earlier post noted the Sabres fighting to defend Miller's space. It just dawned on me that Miller himself as done some things to protect his own crease as well. At first I was worried that he would be distracted or let the Flyers get into his head if he kept reacting to Philly players taking runs at him. But he seems to have dealt with it beautifully and has set the right tone by giving guys a swat with his stick or a nice headlock or facewash (and deservingly so, I might add) on occastion...not always... but when it's needed.

In my view, it's a key to game 7 that we turn the dogs loose and create a lot more mayhem in front of the Flyers net. Get the puck down low, fight like hell for it, and bang six cheap and dirty goals behind Stevie Wonder, I mean, Boucher.

I know there's an "our D corps sucks" thread going on, but going forward I think our D can become a strength with 5 (Myers, Butler, Weber, Grags, Sekera) promising and still developing players under the age of 24.

On NHL Network the other day one of the analysts said he belives an NHL defensemen takes about 300 NHL games to "figure it out". I agree there is a learning curve and if it does take that long on average then we are going to have a great defense in a year or two.

On NHL Network the other day one of the analysts said he belives an NHL defensemen takes about 300 NHL games to "figure it out". I agree there is a learning curve and if it does take that long on average then we are going to have a great defense in a year or two.

With that logic, Myers is only half as good as he can potentially be!!! :thumbsup:

+1. Even if they lose this Series, the experience these kids will now have under their belts is huge.

Archived