Our defense blows

BuffaloSoldier2010

I love the sabres, really i do. But when your goalie makes 49 saves and your offense scores 4 goals, and you still lose the game, it's becomes apparent that SOMETHING needs to change. Is it a situational problem? Is Philly's speed and offensive depth just too much? Is it inexperience? A little of both? What's the problem here?

Both.

I don't think the defence blows. I do think it was overmatched this series though. Today's game showed me that they still have some personnel moves to make beofre they are ready to make a serious run.

They still have a shot at getting past the Flyers. Overmatched D or no, they aren't done yet.

Our defense blows so bad that we won twice 1-0.

I'll give you that one, i suppose i should edit the topic title to incredibly inconsistent.

I really do see this group turning into one of the top teir defensive groups in the league given a few years together... I'm just incredibly impatient.

Both.

I don't think the defence blows. I do think it was overmatched this series though. Today's game showed me that they still have some personnel moves to make beofre they are ready to make a serious run.

They still have a shot at getting past the Flyers. Overmatched D or no, they aren't done yet.

And this as well, great point. I actually love the physical play they are showing, it's been a while since i've seen the sabres show more grit than the other team. I've said it before and I'll say it again though, we need a solid, shut-down vet back there. Montador strikes me as a microcosm of our D situation in general, way too inconsistent.

And this as well, great point. I actually love the physical play they are showing, it's been a while since i've seen the sabres show more grit than the other team. I've said it before and I'll say it again though, we need a solid, shut-down vet back there. Montador strikes me as a microcosm of our D situation in general, way too inconsistent.

If I have one criticism of Darcy and management it's that they didn't pick up a veteran utility defensman at the deadline. I don't know who was available but I think they should have added someone knowing how injuries happen

I've always though that this team was lacking in purely defensive defensemen. IMHO, we let our two best pure positional defensemen walk in free agency (Tallinder and Lydman) for various reasons. I know age was a factor and don't disagree. I also know that Darcy and Lindy have a belief that mobile puck moving defensemen with some offensive skill are the way to go in today's game. But, I do think that our "puck moving" d-men are not terrible consistent on the defensive end. No one will ever mistake Leopold, Monty, or Butler for Shea Weber. Personally, I'd like to see one more tough "in your face" defensemen next year... someone with a strong presence along the walls and behind the nets... someone "hard nosed" but who can also skate. I don't know if this player exists in free agency, but I can wish...

I've had it with Montador and have never been a fan of Butler.

There's definitely some dead weight we need to get rid of this offseason (hoepfully Montador and Butler. Then you have Weber who I'm still not sure whether he'll ever be a consistent starter but he's had his moments. I think after these playoffs Gragnani deserves to have an assured starting spot, hes been our number one point getter so far. Add a key free agent and I think we have a fairly solid core.

I like our defense ...

... in 2012-13! :bag:

In 2012 the world will end. No good defense and no cup for the Sabres, sorry.

There's definitely some dead weight we need to get rid of this offseason (hoepfully Montador and Butler. Then you have Weber who I'm still not sure whether he'll ever be a consistent starter but he's had his moments. I think after these playoffs Gragnani deserves to have an assured starting spot, hes been our number one point getter so far. Add a key free agent and I think we have a fairly solid core.

You're making it sound like we're gearing up for off-season mode. If I remember correctly we do have one more game left. Leave that kind of talk for Wednesday morning, if necessary. Thankyou. :)

It seems like most goals against this series were when an otherwise good D took a shift off and got lazy. On the winning goal, Philly brought the puck in deep without any real challenge. A free shot on net from 15 feet often means a rebound for the taking.

In 2012 the world will end. No good defense and no cup for the Sabres, sorry.

You're making it sound like we're gearing up for off-season mode. If I remember correctly we do have one more game left. Leave that kind of talk for Wednesday morning, if necessary. Thankyou. :)

Not trying to sound that way, trust me I have confidence in this group of guys right now. But you can't deny both Montador and Butler have been putrid in this series. Replace them next year with some free agent talent and we'll be set for an even better team.

I've had it with Montador and have never been a fan of Butler.

There's definitely some dead weight we need to get rid of this offseason (hoepfully Montador and Butler. Then you have Weber who I'm still not sure whether he'll ever be a consistent starter but he's had his moments.

Preaching to the choir here. Butler as I have stated many times sucks. Weber will be a stud and Monte well I'm afraid we have run out of options with him. Not good enough to be paid more and not pulling his fair share now.

What scares me is that Lindy is now in love with Butler and you can rest assured he gets priority next year. Weber has earned his spot. Steady and tough. We desperately need his toughness. Butler is soft and while Monte may try he is soft also.

Im ready to puke after seeing Butler on one clearing attempt tonight throw the puck into the bench and bring a faceoff back in our end and then later throw it over the glass and draw a panalty that cost us.

Lindy please lose the man love you have develpoed for Butler.

Anyone miss Craig Rivet? Someone to calm down the 3 rookies and one sophomore on the blue line?

Maybe we should have said, "sit down and wait, We've lost more than a few defenders in the playoffs before, you might be usefull come april."

Hindsight.

Not even a little bit... I'd rather have a sh!tty Montador than a sh!tty Rivet who's also old enough to be my father, and skates that way as well.

The defense is way too inexperienced as a group to go far in the playoffs, but the forward play in their own zone is even worse. Off a faceoff, Gaustad and Vanek go charging towards the blueline while VanReimsdyk fires a goal standing all alone in the slot from 15 feet away. I am sure I will be told that this is what they should have been doing on the play. <_<

The defense is way too inexperienced as a group to go far in the playoffs, but the forward play in their own zone is even worse. Off a faceoff, Gaustad and Vanek go charging towards the blueline while VanReimsdyk fires a goal standing all alone in the slot from 15 feet away. I am sure I will be told that this is what they should have been doing on the play. <_<

LB ya hit the problem onthe head not enough support from the forwards in own zone. The vanReismdork goal was just as stated and brier has scored a few being ignored behind the goal were a forward needs to be thinking and covering. Major issue is clearing puck from zone by most of the team

Montador is The Weakest Link.

I'm ok with our D except Grags HAS to shoot the F&*king puck!! He's going to be a good one if he continues to progress next year but man he ALWAYS looks to pass first. Just shoot the friggen thing. I think if we can pick up one good free agent D man in the summer than we should be just fine going forward.

Montador is The Weakest Link.

Yep. If we can upgrade him in the offseason we'll be ok. I still think Shakira will be good going forward and Myers is a beast. Butler I'm still on the fense with and I love the way Grags has shown up in the playoffs. I'm alright with Leopold next year as well. I'm hoping we can just keep Morisson as a decent #7 who only plays due to an injury etc. The real obvious problem with this team is a lack of quality centermen.

That is what they should be doing. What good is the defense gaining possession of the puck if they have no one to pass it to?

We are tied 3-3 against the 3rd highest scoring team in the league this year (the odds on favorite in the east to go to the Finals). Yep, our defense blows. :wallbash:

Yep. If we can upgrade him in the offseason we'll be ok. I still think Shakira will be good going forward and Myers is a beast. Butler I'm still on the fense with and I love the way Grags has shown up in the playoffs. I'm alright with Leopold next year as well. I'm hoping we can just keep Morisson as a decent #7 who only plays due to an injury etc. The real obvious problem with this team is a lack of quality centermen.

Sekera, MAG, Myers, Leopold, Butler and a FA pick up are your top 6 defense... SO Mike Weber who destroys ppl and has protected miller throughout the series is? back in portland? Last night he was meh true but hes young. Butlers been terrible for about 3 games now. With 17 hits and 12 bs and a whopping -2 due to yesterday I would say that Weber has been our most consistent and dependable defensemen easily. His bullet shot resulted in the rebound that help win us game 5. I looked at the 3 goals he was on the ice for and it really wasnt him making a huge mistake or anything. IDK IMO I trade butler or morrisonn and then get that UFA we all know we need.

Archived