Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Admittedly, the difference in names of the two products is more about regional pride than big differences in the end result. Excepting that whole maple charcoal filtering thing, bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are about as similar as two types of distillate can get.

I haven't had George Dickel in ages but I recall really enjoying it. And it is always good for a giggle from a young waitress when you order it.

teehee

Admittedly, the difference in names of the two products is more about regional pride than big differences in the end result. Excepting that whole maple charcoal filtering thing, bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are about as similar as two types of distillate can get.

I haven't had George Dickel in ages but I recall really enjoying it. And it is always good for a giggle from a young waitress when you order it.

Isn't Dickel one of the original guys who started Jack Daniels, then decided to make his own? I remember hearing this somewhere.

No idea. The always accurate :rolleyes: Wikipedia makes no mention of it.

Dickel is hunting cabin quality bourbon.

Edit: that is not an insult, by the way. Just means it is smooth, enjoyable, with broad appeal, and capable of being consumed in large quantities for days on end.

Jameson is my least favorite of the big names. It's entry level is basically undrinkable for me. Tullamore Dew is only slightly better. Bushmills is better yet, but the upgraded Black Bush is too sweet for me. As I said previously, Powers is th best of the entry level Irish whiskeys I have tried to date - perfect for filling that flask for cold weather events.

I'm home now so here's my thoughts on the older Jameson....

It's not a complicated whiskey by any stretch. It has that base Jameson background flavor. A touch sweet, a little fruity on the finish, a little more bite than it should have based on its proof as well. But it has more barrel character, a bit of spice and caramel. I was definitely mistaken about the peaty notes I mentioned earlier. They are not there. It does seem to have a subtle funky sherry note to it though. And it has a bit of an oily mouthfeel that I've never noticed in the base Jameson. I am pretty sure it is the same base recipe held longer in the barrel. It is still Jameson at its heart.

I guess I am reminded why it is 3rd fiddle in my place.

For whatever it's worth.......

It's not a complicated whiskey by any stretch. It has that base Jameson background flavor. A touch sweet, a little fruity on the finish, a little more bite than it should have based on its proof as well. But it has more barrel character, a bit of spice and caramel. I was definitely mistaken about the peaty notes I mentioned earlier. They are not there. It does seem to have a subtle funky sherry note to it though. And it has a bit of an oily mouthfeel that I've never noticed in the base Jameson. I am pretty sure it is the same base recipe held longer in the barrel. It is still Jameson at its heart.

Worth the $35 dollars you saved me - if at its core it still tastes like Jameson, then I am unlikely to enjoy it.

Thanks for the tasting notes! :thumbsup:

Hey! I know here!

Bump

Bought a bottle of The Irishman single malt.

Pretty tasty stuff. Good pot still character. A very good example of Irish whiskey making. Light years better than the entry level whiskeys from the major distillers. Very comparable to Redbreast, and at the same price point. will have to try them side by side for a detailed comparo.

I need to find the opportunity to more seriously explore Irish whiskey.

As if I *really* need that. :rolleyes: :P

Alcohol is good for your heart. A couple fingers a night is just preventative medicine. If you love your family, you really can't afford NOT to do it.

While I am a Whiskey Drinker, my brother and his wife are rum drinkers. While they were down in mexico last summer, they purchased what they thought would be a good compromise beverage. It is a Nicaraguan Rum called "Flor de Cana". It is distilled from molasses, but then the distillate is aged 5 years in charred oak barrels. It has the color of whiskey. I finally got around to opening it, but I had no idea what to make with it. It is WAY to sweet to drink straight. I got inspired and went out back to the herb patch and grab a bunch of fresh mint and made what I will call a Mojulep (soft J). It was actually quite refreshing.

I think, however, that I like rum even less now. It has to mascaraed as whiskey to even have a chance.

While I am a Whiskey Drinker, my brother and his wife are rum drinkers. While they were down in mexico last summer, they purchased what they thought would be a good compromise beverage. It is a Nicaraguan Rum called "Flor de Cana". It is distilled from molasses, but then the distillate is aged 5 years in charred oak barrels. It has the color of whiskey. I finally got around to opening it, but I had no idea what to make with it. It is WAY to sweet to drink straight. I got inspired and went out back to the herb patch and grab a bunch of fresh mint and made what I will call a Mojulep (soft J). It was actually quite refreshing.

I think, however, that I like rum even less now. It has to mascaraed as whiskey to even have a chance.

What you have is barrel aged cane liquor. Cane liquor is the drink of the masses in central america. It ranges from gasoline to somewhat drinkable in quality. Barrel aged is obviously a step up.

I spent some time in Costa Rica as a young man and drank some cane liquor. It is not good for you. The most interesting way I consumed it was as a shooter with a sea turtle egg dumped in it.

What you have is barrel aged cane liquor. Cane liquor is the drink of the masses in central america. It ranges from gasoline to somewhat drinkable in quality. Barrel aged is obviously a step up.

I spent some time in Costa Rica as a young man and drank some cane liquor. It is not good for you. The most interesting way I consumed it was as a shooter with a sea turtle egg dumped in it.

I'm curious why you would say that distillate made from cane is any worse for you than distillate made from malted barley? They only difference should be the source of the sugars consumed during fermentation. As long as the first and last runnings are abandoned the distillate should be no more or no less bad for you than distillate made from corn, barley, or potatoes.

I'm curious why you would say that distillate made from cane is any worse for you than distillate made from malted barley? They only difference should be the source of the sugars consumed during fermentation. As long as the first and last runnings are abandoned the distillate should be no more or no less bad for you than distillate made from corn, barley, or potatoes.

I suspect that in Central America they aren't discarding ANYTHING. All I know is it was often like drinking lighter fluid and resulted in the type of hangover you would expect from drinking lighter fluid.

You might try using it to make a caipirinha -- very limey, but it's meant to be made with cane rum and the lime cuts the sweetness.

Assuming that they distill it to the same rules as the US (this may be a stretch) the distillate is only 80% ethenol. That other 20 percent can make a HUGE difference, smooth wheat Bourbons vs sharp rye Bourbons for example. I imagine having a sugar as powerful as cane would create some incredible congeners and fusel oils. in the ferment. I imagine yeast on crack.

Assuming that they distill it to the same rules as the US (this may be a stretch) the distillate is only 80% ethenol. That other 20 percent can make a HUGE difference, smooth wheat Bourbons vs sharp rye Bourbons for example. I imagine having a sugar as powerful as cane would create some incredible congeners and fusel oils. in the ferment. I imagine yeast on crack.

I am reluctant to take this thread down the rabbit hole of fermentation science but the source of the sugar is irrelevant. Sucrose is sucrose, maltose is maltose, etc etc regardless of the plant it originated from. The yeast doesn't care what the source is, they only care that a short chain sugar is present to metabolize.

Congeners and fusels are probably the issue. All brewing yeasts throw fusels. For most strains how much fusels are produced is dependent on fermentation temperature. Hotter fermentation temperature = more fusel alcohol produced. And that may be where cane distillate gets nasty. Smaller operations may not bother with the expense of controlling fermentation temp in their cane fermentations. And it gets purt dam warm down in them thar tropics.

The whole idea behind removing the 1st and last portion of the distillate is to get rid of fusels etc. If they aren't doing that then yeah, nasty booze. But if they do dispose of the first and last runnings I see no reason why cane liquor wouldn't become every bit as smooth and tasty as any other distillate.

I am reluctant to take this thread down the rabbit hole of fermentation science but the source of the sugar is irrelevant. Sucrose is sucrose, maltose is maltose, etc etc regardless of the plant it originated from. The yeast doesn't care what the source is, they only care that a short chain sugar is present to metabolize.

Congeners and fusels are probably the issue. All brewing yeasts throw fusels. For most strains how much fusels are produced is dependent on fermentation temperature. Hotter fermentation temperature = more fusel alcohol produced. And that may be where cane distillate gets nasty. Smaller operations may not bother with the expense of controlling fermentation temp in their cane fermentations. And it gets purt dam warm down in them thar tropics.

The whole idea behind removing the 1st and last portion of the distillate is to get rid of fusels etc. If they aren't doing that then yeah, nasty booze. But if they do dispose of the first and last runnings I see no reason why cane liquor wouldn't become every bit as smooth and tasty as any other distillate.

I don't know anything about fusels, but I can assure you that drinking large quantities of rot gut cane liquor in central america is a very bad idea for us soft bellied gringos.

I don't know anything about fusels, but I can assure you that drinking large quantities of rot gut cane liquor in central america is a very bad idea for us soft bellied gringos.

Yeah, I know how that goes. It starts out as a good time. It gets late and you bring someone home. But in the morning you wake up with a beast of a headache, you smell like death, and that girl you woke up next to has an adam's apple. And you still don't want to talk about the tattoo. We've all been there.

Yeah, I know how that goes. It starts out as a good time. It gets late and you bring someone home. But in the morning you wake up with a beast of a headache, you smell like death, and that girl you woke up next to has an adam's apple. And you still don't want to talk about the tattoo. We've all been there.

Costa Rica is a wonderful country - their women love americans - they also have a great affection for blue eyes, some colonial hold over, I guess. As for a young, blue eyed american man like myself 20 years ago? Well, lets just say that things never went so badly that I was forced to be indiscriminate at the end of the night.

The rest of your story is pretty much on the mark.

If you are ever looking for an ego boost, spend a couple hours in a Costa Rican brothel. Don't buy the goods, just have a few drinks and hang out.

You are, of course, correct. The mash makes the sweetness difference in the Rum, but it is likely the fermentation heat and/or distillation practices that cause the gut rot pain.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.