Nine games, Six days

wjag

But it's the definition of the word "success" that is the key to this discussion. If you define it as turning around an awful start to the season to squeak into the playoffs, only to be ousted in the first round, then post nothin' but sunshine and kittens to your hearts content. But we already saw that show last year. If your definition of success is a Stanley Cup (or at least a deep run at it), then of course your posts are going to be more negative (some might say realistic). I really have no problem with either view. I'm just tired of being told what to think.

Most points in the league since Feb. 22 (a quarter of the season), new owner who is opening the purse strings, emergence of a real #2 goaltender, breakout season for Stafford, the play of youngsters like Ennis, Gerbe, Sekera, now Gragnani...yeah, there's nothing to be happy about around here.

We all know they need a #1 C.

By the way -- have the Sabres already been eliminated in the first round? I didn't catch that news.

But it's the definition of the word "success" that is the key to this discussion. If you define it as turning around an awful start to the season to squeak into the playoffs, only to be ousted in the first round, then post nothin' but sunshine and kittens to your hearts content. But we already saw that show last year. If your definition of success is a Stanley Cup (or at least a deep run at it), then of course your posts are going to be more negative (some might say realistic). I really have no problem with either view. I'm just tired of being told what to think.

Not you at all, but...

Pick any team right now. Odds are overwhelmingly against them for winning the Stanley cup. Overwhelmingly.

The odds are also overwhelmingly on the side of any skeptics. There's not much originality in it.

Not you at all, but...

Pick any team right now. Odds are overwhelmingly against them for winning the Stanley cup. Overwhelmingly.

The odds are also overwhelmingly on the side of any skeptics. There's not much originality in it.

So true. I think it is fair to be optimistic about the future of the franchise and the on-ice product while also realizing the team has a way to go to be considered among the top 6-8 teams in the league. To point out the flaws in the current team is valid, but if someone's always bringing up the worst possible view of everything, it gets really old.

I totally get the thing about posting/reading more when things are going well. If the team stinks, I'm not really motivated to read numerous people talk about the many reasons why they stink. My favorite thing is hashing out playoff scenarios so, needless to say, I don't think I've posted on TBD since before the Bills-Browns snow game a few years back.

Not you at all, but...

Not blowing smoke up your a$$, X, but I enjoy reading 99.9% of your posts.

With some helpful corrections from Taro, here's how things stand for the playoff race heading into tonight's games.

6 MON 91 3GR 39W

7 NYR 91 2GR 34W

8 BUF 90 3GR 35W

--------------------------

CAR 87 3GR 33W

TOR 84 3GR 32W

Magic Number in points (Sabres need to win TWO of these matchups to make the playoffs):

BUF 1 TOR 12 (Leafs are out with a loss or an SO win, or one Sabres point)

BUF 4* CAR 10 (Sabres would gain the tiebreaker with a regulation or OT win, or a Canes loss or SO win)

BUF 6* NYR 6 (Sabres would likely have the tiebreaker)

BUF 8 MON 5 (Habs have tiebreaker)

* - When a team gains the tiebreaker, their number drops by one more.

Bottom Line: Sabres win one game in regulation or overtime, and either pick up a 3rd point OR the Canes lose one game, they are in.

Updated:

Everybody 'cept Canes has 2 games remaining (Canes w/ 3).

Sabres 92 v Rangers 91 - M# 3 (Sabres have tiebreaker as Sabres might win 1st tiebreaker; if that tied, Sabres would win 2nd tiebreaker 5pts v 4pts hth)

Sabres 92 v Canes 87 - M#1 (Sabres reasonably have tiebreaker as Sabres probably win 1st tiebreaker; 2nd tiebreaker knotted 5pts v 5pts; almost definitely win 3rd tiebreaker +14 v -7 to date.)

Sabres 92 v Montreal 93 - M#6 (Moe-ray-all has tiebreaker by at least 2ROWs, Sabres must beat them outright.)

Best guess is Sabres stay in 7th and play Filly in 1st round.

So it seems pretty certain that the Sabres will finish in the 7th spot. So all eyes on the number 2 slot. Philly losing and Pit winning has Pit just one point behind with two to play. So here come the dilemna. Buf vs Pit on Fri. If Buf beats Pit that might knock them to 4th. The ONLY team, and I mean only team I don't want in the number 2 slot is Pit. The fact that they lost Malkin and Crosby, and still have 102 points is amazing. Buffalo doesn't play well against Pits aggressive style. Any 7 vs 2 matchup will be tough, but I'd rather take my chance against Boston or Philly in round 1 verses Pit or Was.

6 MON 93 2GR 40W

7 BUF 92 2GR 36W

8 NYR 91 2GR 34W

CAR 87 3GR 33W

Sabres clinch with 1) one more point, 2) a Canes loss, or 3) the Rangers losing their last 2 games (including one in regulation).

BUF 1 CAR 10

BUF 3 NYR 6

BUF 6 MON 3

6 MON 93 2GR 40W

7 BUF 92 2GR 36W

8 NYR 91 2GR 34W

CAR 89 2GR 34W

Sabres clinch with 1) one more point, 2) a Canes loss, or 3) the Rangers losing their last 2 games (including one in regulation).

BUF 1 CAR 8

BUF 3 NYR 6

BUF 6 MON 3

Thur 4/7: ATL/NYR MON/OTT

Fri 4/8: PHI/BUF CAR/ATL

Sat 4/9: NJ/NYR, 12 BUF/CLS TB/CAR MON/TOR

Why do I feel okay with the possibility of missing the playoffs? Love 2 b in and think we'll make it. Just not feeling upset about possibility. Over/under confident?

I'm guessing it's a defense mechanism so that you are not too crushed if they don't make it. I feel the same way.

Anyone else worried that something as simple as consecutive losses could lead us to missing the playoffs? I'm just saying. Normally I am an optimist, but the Bruins series last year changed me. All this talk of being a dark horse and who we will play and I am not even confident that we'll make it in.

Anyone else worried that something as simple as consecutive losses could lead us to missing the playoffs? I'm just saying. Normally I am an optimist, but the Bruins series last year changed me. All this talk of being a dark horse and who we will play and I am not even confident that we'll make it in.

Nope. There isn't a thing about what I say, think or do that will have any effect on the Sabres. At this time of year, you have just got to believe they can get one point out of the next four available. If not, then blame the team for the Nashville game.

Nope. There isn't a thing about what I say, think or do that will have any effect on the Sabres. At this time of year, you have just got to believe they can get one point out of the next four available. If not, then blame the team for the Nashville game.

I know the Nashville game was a collapse BUT I hate pinning the entire season on one game. Yes they blew the game. However, we probably won a few games throughout that we didn't deserve or expect.

I'm a little on the tense side and as a result have not (yet) posted who I would like to meet in the playoffs until we're there. Sportsclubstats.com says we still have a 96.6% chance of making the playoffs. Although our odds should be good that still seems a touch high.

I hear you, but we need 2 points to lock us in. A tie with Carolina at 93 has us losing the tie-breaker assuming their final wins are not in the shoot out. Your point still stands though, nothing we can do but watch and hope.

I hear you, but we need 2 points to lock us in. A tie with Carolina at 93 has us losing the tie-breaker assuming their final wins are not in the shoot out. Your point still stands though, nothing we can do but watch and hope.

We have the ROW on Carolina. We only need to get one point or have Carolina not get 1 available point.

Alright, here goes. If we both finish with 93 points and 36 non-shootout wins, tiebreaker goes to greater number of points acquired head-to-head.

Since we're both 2-1-1 against each other this year, acquiring 5 points each in the series, tiebreaker goes to better goal differential for the entire season. So, total Goals For minus total Goals Against.

Right now we're at +14 goal differential while the Canes are at -4. That's why everyone is saying we'd need to get crushed like 6-0 and 10-0 Friday and Saturday to lose this tiebreaker.

Alright, here goes. If we both finish with 93 points and 36 non-shootout wins, tiebreaker goes to greater number of points acquired head-to-head.

Since we're both 2-1-1 against each other this year, acquiring 5 points each in the series, tiebreaker goes to better goal differential for the entire season. So, total Goals For minus total Goals Against.

Right now we're at +14 goal differential while the Canes are at -4. That's why everyone is saying we'd need to get crushed like 6-0 and 10-0 Friday and Saturday to lose this tiebreaker.

Doh! You are correct, thanks for setting me straight. I somehow mis-counted the points earned between the games.

Archived